Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

MarkDavid's avatar

White Linen by Estée Lauder

A true, American classic. A Perfume Legend.

cpk's avatar

Greece Greece

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

What is there not to like here? I 've read people complain about the apricot. If you read the list of notes it says "apricot stone" which to me means the pit of the apricot, something like bitter alomond. Yes it is sweet, but there is a bitter almond note in the heart. Apricot per se? I don't think so. Other than that I really can't imagine how Sheldrake managed to liquefy a pair of suede gloves, infused with the subtle perfume the owner (probably a woman) was wearing. Having said that i don't mean that it is a fragrance unwearable by men. On the contrary. It feels like the loot from a passionate love affair. That's the kind of feminine presence it brings with it. Unbelievable composition. Extremely comfortable to wear and makes you feel comfortable wearing it. For leather lovers together with Montale Aoud Cuir d' Arabie and Nostalgia it forms a Holy Triad of different but exquisitely evocative leather scents. Big thumbs up.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Fracas by Robert Piguet

Ah, Fracas - its reputation precedes it! Yes, everything you've heard is true. It's big, it's showy, it's loud. It's a tuberose that oozes luxury and good living, and yes, it's as subtle as a hand grenade at a baby shower.

I was initially put off by Fracas' top notes - too bright and aldehydic, retro, and perhaps a bit girly. However, after numerous wearings, I've grown to love it, especially in the drydown. Give this one a chance to bloom on your skin before judging. The tuberose note is crisp and clean, and is a somewhat abstract rendering of the flower, more of the opera house than the garden. There is a distinct spiciness to the blend, a faint soapiness, and a generally cool and "airy" vibe heightened by the more soft spoken florals that halo the tuberose. Muguet? Gardenia? Perhaps, but Fracas is a very seamless creation, and it's hard to pick out its facets amid the white floral sheen.

The longevity and sillage are very good on both counts, but if you can wear other loud florals, there shouldn't be a problem.

19 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th August, 2009)

TaraYvonne's avatar

Bronze Goddess Eau Fraîche Skinscent by Estée Lauder

In complete agreement with oud girl on this. Really lovely stuff, just smelled it today and bought it on the spot. This is not your traditional pina cola beach scent. This is the true beach: sun, sand, the scent of the air as you ride down the river on a boat, lightly sweaty suntan lotion. Amazingly accurate take on this experience. I adore it.

Little Black Dress by Avon

Eh, nothing much to it. A single note floral as simple as a little black dress with frills. Maybe, just maybe has some oriental notes in it but they are so wan that they are undetectable. Not a bad scent overall.

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

Spiced almond woods. Interestingly gourmand but really not that special to me. Slightly resinous and has the same wet textures as foudn in the other perfumes Annick Menardo has done namely Lolita Lempicka and Body Kouros. Just a tad too nutty to really like a lot but would be great for a lady that like the warm scents for the cool wheater days.

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

Deep and spicy with a lovely resinous amber accord. It's smooth and warming with notes of nutmeg and saffron and a tone of pepper cedar. A touch of florals in the middle (carnation and rose) give the scent a familiarity that makes it likable by many though the spiciness could put off a few. Sweetened a tad with vanilla and amber, makes the scent even more likable. Patchouli and a deep woody note makes the overall scent much more darker. Makes for a sexy fragrance. For cool weather only.

L'Instant de Guerlain by Guerlain

A beautiful oriental fragrance that's not too heavy. Neroli, spices and vanilla... just a wonderful scent of sweet florals and amber. I really enjoy the feminine aspects of this scent.

Paco Rabanne Pour Elle by Paco Rabanne

Delightful light rounded fruits with a white floral heart and a sweet vanilla and ylang ylang base. Also a little peppery with the ever present pink pepper accord I see in other perfumes nowadays. Well rounded fruits, florals and a touch of vanilla. Probably good for an office scent.

Avon Soft Musk by Avon

Cheap ol' synthetic musk that smells really nice. Woody basenotes.

Crystal Noir by Versace

A white floral. A very light white floral that sort of resembles gardenia but not quite; more along the lines of a mix of some kind of fruit (mango? peach?) and some musk and woods. Despite its lightness, it feels dark and sensuous. Pleasant floral-esque scent with going into "scented candle" territory.

La Chasse Aux Papillons Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Fresh, green and spicy white florals.I haven't tried the original so I do not know if this is "extreme" or not. Simply a beautiful array of pink peppers and white florals.

Into the Blue by Escada

Slightly sweet summer scent with a citrus and melon top and florals. Very similar to a lot of men's summer scents with the name blue. Heck, I wouldn't mind wearing this!

Rouge by Christian Lacroix

Noir, the new Lacroix scent for men under Avon, was a bit of a surprise by how nice it was. Rouge, surprised me as well. Noir was a woody spicy and Rouge is a floral spicy. Very, VERY harsh at first. I was thinking I didn't liek it but the "perfumey" element died off after a while and left this wonderful spicy floral scent with a touch of berry. It is nice and all but it didn't last on the card.

Note Ambrée by Martine Micallef

Disturbing amber on an ugly bed of ylang ylang (which is the more dominant note). The top note of bergamot is harsh and rather off-putting and unremarkably dreary. The over-ripe banana scent of ylang ylang turns into a mush of dirty amber. It reminds me of the nursery rhyme "Ring A Round The Rosies" where it's about covering up the stench of death with flowers. Now that's a harsh assessment but I simply do not like this fragrance. It's very unpleasant smelling to me because (insert 4 paragraphs of self-righteous reasoning).

S de Scherrer by Jean-Louis Scherrer

Interesting little rose, vanilla and musk scent. A little bit of each world: florals, fruits, oriental, sweet and some pepper on top. Not overbearing but incredibly light. Not bad but there's probably better vnaillic rose scents out there.

Manoumalia by LesNez

Smells somewhat "dirty" to me. Like dust on a flower. Seeing the notes, that makes sense to me; sandalwood sawdust. It's not a dominant note but it mingles with the ylang ylang a lot. I love ylang ylang and it's well played here. Goes along well with a grassy note but overall it's the sweet ylang yalng that makes the scent. A well crafted and more artisan scent.

Cashmere Twill by Acqua di Biella

Green fruity woods. Starts off with a distinctive berry and citrusy accord. The middle is very watery with florals. The drydown is interesting that it feels mostly masculine with vetiver and cedarwood. An interesing take on an aquatic fruity floral.

memechose's avatar

Scandal by Roja Dove

.None of the top notes come through...At first spritz a heady white floral scent, my anethema, .. luckily my skin then proceeds straight to the drydown GORGEOUS ORRIS WOODY AND SPICE .

6opar's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Quorum by Antonio Puig

There is nothing sweet, nor delicate about Quorum. It's a men's fragrance and it's wild. Very 80's and I cannot ignore the feeling it's meant for men over 40. The pine, citrus and spices mix is heavy and distinguishable. A good fragrance, long lasting, but not for me.

6opar's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Tokyo by Kenzo

I sprayed it three times on my left wrist and after half an hour could not get any trace of it. The only reason for me not to give thumbs down is that yet, it 's a nice smell. Nothing original or groundbreaking, but fresh (grapefruit and ginger) and spicy (pepper and nutmeg). It could have been sweet, but it's not, it could have been in my top ten, but it's not even in my top 40.

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

This does present itself as rich and luxurious, and I liked the lemon suckerpunch at first, but then it seemed to get stale as time goes by. The combination of florals and woods that appears should be great on paper, but it's just a little too pompous. It's a plate of citrus fruits next to a gorgeous bouquet in a stately manse, in which the air has grown stuffy due to lack of use. This feels too awkwardly formal to me in a way that even the most distinguished woody orientals don't. I finally couldn't deal with it anymore and got rid of it.

Quorum by Antonio Puig

I want to like the old-school sharp leathery colognes, and I'm sure I'll find others that I do. But this one is so aggressive, and almost acridly astringent that I felt embarrassed wearing it. I got rid of it, which wasn't such a big deal since it was $6 for 1 oz. If this were more expensive for the same product, I'd give it a thumbs down simply because it would be way too crass for the money.

It's like the waiter in the nightclub in Who Framed Roger Rabbit: a gorilla in a tuxedo. He's really well-groomed for a gorilla, but you can tell that he's having trouble fitting into the tux, and is very uncomfortable and out of place. One of these days he'll just rip it off in frustration, and go bashing innocent people's heads in.

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

I don't know why they made the original more flowery...I don't know if it's really more concentrated at all. The first few minutes are glorious, realistic citrus fruit, but then it devolves into stale orange blossom residue which I can only smell if I overspray (though I'd hesitate to even use the word "overspray" with this one since it's so light). I gave it to my friend and she used about 5 mL one day as a room+linen spray all over her bedroom, but I couldn't smell it when I visited her place the next day.

epicurean's avatar

Diva by Ungaro

One of the best scents for women, ever. It radiates an aura of luxury, sophistication and sumptuousness. Warm summer evenings on the terrace of an elegant Paris apartment come to mind. Too good for the office or everyday goings-on. This is purely for after-work and epicurean activities...

epicurean's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

An excellent summer scent -- very sexy yet soapy and squeaky-clean. The first couple of years after it came out over here in Europe I'd encounter the scent and it was always, always on some good-looking guy, usually gay but not necessarily so. It was popular, but far from mainstream or ubiquitous.
    Years later, it's become a victim of its own success, very mainstream, and I find it hard to believe that so many of the young straight guys you'd classify as 'toughs' are so drawn to this of all scents. The bottle alone should scare them off, you'd think, but no: Whole gangs of these toughs loiter in the pedestrian shopping zones here in Europe and you can be sure which scent they'll be wearing. And there's no end in sight. It's the exact same situation we had with Le Mâle's predecessor as THE European fragrance: Cool Water. That scent reigned surpreme for a good ten years before being replaced by Le Mâle, and I'll be curious to see what finally knocks LM off the throne.
    Anyway, the scent itself is lovely, and so much better than "Fleur du Male", which is entirely too sweet for a male fragrance.

19 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 March, 2010)

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Chaos by Donna Karan

The vintage classic that is Chaos is simply a stunning piece of work and surely ranks as Donna Karan's finest. I'm in awe.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Cuba by Czech & Speake

Wow, the discordant and gutsy top notes can certainly knock a horse down. It's really repugnant. But things got better, much better, as it mellows down to a very classy dark tobacco and gorgeous drydown. A truly complex scent and also very memorable. Certainly bottle worthy.

pofox's avatar

Mimosa by Czech & Speake

Czech and Speake 'Mimosa' definitely does not work with my body chemistry. Fine, if quite sharp, when first applied it quickly ends up with a note 'like a cat sleeping on yesterdays laundry' to quote my husband. I enjoy a couple of their other fragrances but this one is not for me.

jennster's avatar

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

Words cannot describe how much I love this scent. Being a newbie to more refined (read:niche and higher end) I will not attempt to describe the subtle nuances and notes. What I can tell you is it is a little sweet and powdery without being overwhelming. It is gentle and refined. It is soothing with a flawless transition between the top mid and base notes. Many fragrances give me a headache and make me nauseous so I was so relieved that this wonderful scent did not. I'm in love and will get a FB as soon as is humanly possible.