Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

Cool Water Woman by Davidoff

I like how airy this perfume is. When I wear it, it is usually a sunny day and I am going out walking in the town with friends. It is defenitely a fun day perfume. I wouldn't wear it at night, at night it smells kind of synthetic. I have been complemented when I wear this perfume. I like how it smells fresh and reviving. I like the citrus adn sweet kind of scent. I hardly wear it becuase sometimes it hurts my nose as to how pugnant the fruit scent is. I defenitely have to be in the mood for it.

Dream Angels Heavenly by Victoria's Secret

I liked this one at first but then as it gets drier, I dislike the smell, I guess I love the top and middle notes, but I hate the vanilla in the fragrance. It is boring and I think that it is something a lot of women smell like it. I got it as a gift and it isn't very much like .5 oz or somehting....I would never buy it.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

I like this perfume, it is a very sensual perfume and very sexy, but I do believe that this perfume wears you, you do not wear this perfume, I came to this realization when I was riding the bus this morning, a lady was wearing it, so I thought why is it so identifiable? It doesn't change with your chemistry, it doesn't become you. Its liek an accessory that you overpowers the rest of you..LOL there is my 2 cents

19 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 August, 2009)

Par Amour by Clarins

I don't know, I'm not good at identifying notes, but I can say that it smells delicious. It smells clean, like the scents of a garden you smell at night. A little tangy a tiny bit spicy, I absolutely love it!

Délices de Cartier by Cartier

OMG! I love this perfume, it is sweet and lucious at the same time. When I wear it, it makes me feels delectable. Even though it is very sweet, it always seemed very crisp not too rich. I don;t like sweet frarances because they remind me of chocolate cake when you eat too much its like you are overindulged...too sweet it becomes bitter. I kept waiting for this point in Delices but it was always crispy sweet. I loved it. Simply irresistible

Ralph Cool by Ralph Lauren

I love this smell its very youthful for the preteen first perfume user to 20 something range. But when I went shopping the woman at the fragrance counter said it was no longer available I really liked that scent too!

I like fruity perfumes like this one for everyday wear. Floral scents for special occasions.

It reminds me a lot of there other scent "Ralph."

Princess by Vera Wang

Its a delightful scent I've wanted it for years. And the bottle design is really cool too. But to me it doesn't smell like an image of a "princess" to me, maybe because when I think of princess I think of little kids fragrances like nauseating cotton candy body spray.

I finally got a bottle for my birthday, I feel slightly more mature when I wear it not young and "princess-like." Something that I would say "Im serious but I smell youthful."

I notice the vanilla a lot.

I just dont like that its kind of expensive though.

Harajuku Lovers - Baby by Gwen Stefani

Nauseating... Very over priced option if you want to smell like baby powder. Tried some on one day and the over powering baby powder smell really got on my nerves and it made my jacket smell for awhile.

Wrappings4Me's avatar

Wrappings by Clinique

I've worn Wrappings for 10 years. There have been times when I think I might like something else better, but no, I ALWAYS come back to Wrappings. There is just something very very special about it. For one, I don't know anyone else that wears it. I alway get compliments on it and am secretly hesitant to give my "secret" away.

This is a WONDERFUL fragrance - I cannot understand why Clinique only sells it once or twice a year and only in a gift set.

Wrappings4Me's avatar

Victoria (original) by Victoria's Secret

I think this was my first "favorite" perfume. I loved this fragrance and would still be wearing it today for sure! I was going through some old bottles and had forgotten how many bottles of this I had! Some still had fragrance left, but it was very very stale. :( Maybe VS will bring this one back for a special anniversary or something? We can only hope!

epicurean's avatar

Bois d'Argent Cologne by Christian Dior

I was 16 when I first started wearing cologne and in the 20 years since there have only been a few scents that have instantly clicked with me -- Antaeus, Acteur, Egoiste, Bois d'Argent, Jubilation XXV, Ormonde Man ...
    Great stuff, this is. Light enough to be a great summer scent, discreet enough for the office, but with just the right amount of spice for sex appeal. A mellow vanilla incense. Smells classy, and it is.

19 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 January, 2014)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Turtle Vetiver Exercise 1 by LesNez

I have just tried the LesNez Turtle Vetiver Exercise No. 1 and was very surprised to find one of the best vetiver fragrances I have yet to smell. I had to order a bottle! I was surprised this was so good, because this is a limited offering of only 80 bottles. You would think they would make more of something that smells this good. I am sure there will be more editions and more exercises, but this one is definitely a winner. The smell is very cool almost cold below the ground, wet earthy roots and vetiver scent. There is no sweetness at all in this one, but also no iodine or harshness. It stays clear and light, but very damp and minerally. Along with Let Me Play the Lion, this is a winner from Isabelle Doyen and LesNez.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Cabotine by Grès

I must confess that I didn't like this scent at, when I first smelled it, but then, in an unexpected change, it became nearly a standard value in almost all of my gifts directed to female friends, relatives and acquaintances. Why? Because while the first impression was heavy and sweet, the dry-down increasingly develops wonderfully mature and distinguished leathery and woody notes. In spite of the presentation or the first impressions, definitely not an average female "green" or "floral", but a truly sober and refined creation, directed towards a discriminating and classy audience.

lefay's avatar

Une Histoire de Chypre by Aedes de Venustas

I concur with foetidus. As a chypre girl I was entranced by the green/citrus opening on a woody base, with not a trace of powder, and thought, This is promising! But within a half hour everything just began to fade away, leaving only a trace of moss. I reapplied hopefully from my sample vial, and got the same result. On paper -- and on first impression -- this seems like a chypre lover's dream. But something is missing in the chemistry of the composition; it just doesn't hold together. How disappointing.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Fleur d'Oranger 27 by Le Labo

As a disclaimer, I'm certainly not the right person to judge the merits of this fragrance. I simply fail to appreciate the sickly-sweet, powdery smell of orange blossoms and no matter how "natural" or "realistic" the note's supposed to be (I've never smelt real orange trees in bloom) I think only of scented, chemical-smelling cleaning fluids and bathroom air "fresheners" working in quite the opposite way.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Neroli 36 by Le Labo

Slightly more agreeable than their Fleurs d'Oranger, but equally super-sweet and powdery and with a similar cleaning product vibe to it. This one has a touch of bitter almond/marzipan/heliotrope as well I think, but perhaps that's just the natural difference between neroli and orange blossom. Anyway, it makes me like it just a little bit better since I think neroli/orange blossom is more bearable when the naturally gourmand aspect of the floral note is emphasised, as opposed to when they're used in miserably failed attempts at "fresh" colognes. But sorry, I just don't dig neroli/orange blossom scents at all.

TaoLady's avatar

Muguet by Molinard

In my view, muguet's a hard one to get right. In my earlier life I lived in Coty's version which I remember as being vibrant and quite green. This Molinard is creamy and treads lightly - like the fragrance wafting up from the bottom of the garden where the pretty white bells shimmer in shadowed green. Just lovely - and with surprising longevity.

furrypine's avatar

Norway Norway

Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake

Sigh...quite, quite awful on me. The civet stays too dominant and tips over into the smell of urine. I guess it could work if your skin type brings out more of the sweet/tartness of the scent.

SirSlarty's avatar

8 88 by Comme des Garçons

Watery peppery scent, smells like a nondescript washed "perfume" like any number of women's scents from the dollar store.. Weak and uninspired. Sharp, sour, metallic, green... all notes that don't say "love me". Dries down into a talcum powder like rub but without the powdery texture, this amber base feels really dull.

Garrigue by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Safari? GIT? Cool Water?. I must have missed that meeting. I mean this has class and skill dripping from it unlike the aforementioned imposters. A really gorgeous citrus and herb mix that lasts forever. How this has slipped under my radar is a mystery. Jean Laporte was inspired with Garrigue.

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

Am I the only one who gets mint? Anyway, this is so dry it catches the back of my throat. I know it's all 'aromachemicals' and synthetics these days and I'm not complaining, but this comes across as just too artificial and chemically driven. I don't like it for that reason.

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

The top notes are bitter and harsh. This coffee is burnt. Rochas Man is smoother and nicer to wear -- won't cost you an arm and a leg either.

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

Beautiful scent -- end of. I love this proportionately to the dislike I have for the really horribly synthetic Jardin fragrances by Hermes. A more wonderful rendition of a citrus chypre is just not out there. Sillage and longevity are both excellent. Will always be in rotation.

Italian Cypress by Tom Ford

Check -- this is a straight up cypress rendition, which is arid and masculine. The rendition is really lovely though and it doesn't really stray anywhere else. It reminds me slightly of Fou D'Absinthe, replacing cypress for pine and smoke for booze. It has that burnt woody autumnal feel. There is one caveat -- it smells like something your Dad would like to wear.

Eau Empire by Rancé

A stylish fragrance -- the grapefruit seems to last a long long time on me -- the woody drydown is lovely, but the sillage is very shy. Eau Empire reeks class though and as far as I know only 4 were created in this range -- this was my favourite. For what it cost me, I can't complain.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Rumba by Ted Lapidus

I'm inclined to agree with the nay-sayers on this one. When I read the list of notes I thought for sure that this was something that I would love, however, it was not to be. Fortunately, I had purchased the 4-5 ml mini on ebay one night, so I wasn't out of lots of money. I really wanted to like it so I tried it on a few different occasions, but as someone mentioned earlier, all that keeps coming to mind is the loudness of a scent like Giorgio, even though it doesn't smell like it. Rumba has an over-the-top fruitiness that can become a bit cloying after a while. It would have been nice if that fruitiness had been tempered at some point by the oakmoss, sandalwood and cedarwood, but that never happens on me so the scent just sustains the same cloying fruitiness throughout to the point where I wanted to scrub it off. For sillage, think Giorgio, a little goes a long way.

6opar's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Burberry for Men by Burberry

Burberry Men starts fresh citrus-y sweet the same way JPG Le male does, at least to my nose due to the bergamot, mint and lavender . Later on spices come through, but the initial blast lingers all the way and remains there for a couple of hours which means BM is a long lasting cologne but linear . It does not evolve, it stays the same. I could say it is a simple fragrance. Yet, it is classy - for a shirt and a tie at the office. Not for fun.

Redbeard's avatar

Ungaro III by Ungaro

I got the new version blind for $12, and figured it couldn't be that bad. The top and middle were nice enough, but the base just smelled like wilted roses in a horror movie sanatorium...sickly, persistent and floral. I couldn't quite place what real-world object it smelled like. The sillage reached an alarming distance from the piece of cloth that I had tested it on. People probably would smell it but wouldn't even realize the smell was coming from a person, especially a man. I probably could have stuck with it, but it just wasn't worth the mental effort.

Redbeard's avatar

Xeryus by Givenchy

I liked the top but then I realized that the particular type of musk in the base feels archaic and feminine to me, and I'm not sure why...like a shiny but tacky old leather jacket that someone thought was stylish when it was new. I probably should have been more patient with it, but it was suffocatingly heavy at times so I just let it go. This was in the old grey monolith bottle (which BTW I think is an awesome monument of 80s memorabilia) and I don't know if it was reformulated when the bottle was changed.

rinosaur's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

As soon as I tried the tester at Kohl's I immediately found the gasoline/oil/grease/cut grass smell I experienced when I cleaned my lawn mower's carburetor 2 weeks earlier, disgusting. Drydown is a bit more tolerable but that gasoline just wont go away.