Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

SmellyNinja's avatar

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

I guess I can see why some may not like it. It's not earth-shattering or anything. Still, if you're into the tropical-type fragrances but want to try something that doesn't remind you of suntan lotion, it might be worth a look. Too light to be worn in the evening, but just right if you're lounging on a tiki bar with a cold beverage on a hot summer day.

Horatio's avatar

Encre Noire by Lalique

It is very easy to knock out a decent Vetivert scent. It is a cheap ingredient that requires just a little softening of the edges.
    The best example to my mind is the Malle VE - green perfection. This blend comes close but there is a weird musky note in the dry-down that reminds me of soggy uncooked pastry.
    The packaging is superb.

20th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 July, 2009)

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

A supremely refined scent. I just love to douse myself with this. My favorite Prada. Great sillage and longevity to boot.

Dany1985's avatar

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

to me it smells very much like B*Men....or its just me????

Thumbs up anyways!!!!

The1ntern's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

This scent smells really, really good. I enjoy it thoroughly. The huge downside to D&G Light Blue is that it, in my opinion, is very strong after being sprayed. After that, it only takes a couple of hours before the smell disappears entirely. I have had this last for about 3 hours max.

mandarinita's avatar

Miracle Forever by Lancôme

I really like miracle forever, it smells soft and sensual. It is warm as it dreis down. But when you first apply it its a subdued scent thats has a little kick. I wouldn't say its sweet. I would not buy it again I would test something else, but I wouldn't say its bad.

carmensizemore's avatar

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

I love Dior Fragrances. This was my winter/fall fragrance until 2006. It is graceful and elegant. A true classic.

carmensizemore's avatar

Ardenbeauty by Elizabeth Arden

This is a fragrance is perfect for a "tween". Simple and inexpensive.

JGbeader's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Tabu by Dana

Powerful stuff! Generally, I enjoy potent seduction scents if I'm in the right mood. I decided to test my memory of Tabu today, as I haven't sniffed it for about 40 years. Back then it made me a bit queasy (more estrogen than now). I was almost knocked down by the sillage from one spray on the wrist. The top notes are quite a clarion call and I worried that passers-by might think I was off to my day-shift at the local massage parlour. I can detect no animal notes in this scent - it's raucously floral and sententiously spicy, and I suspect she who wears it shouldn't wash for a few days before wearing it to get the sultry best from Tabu. I arrived home one hour after application and washed the wrist with liquid soap and warm water, thoroughly. What's left is about the right amount, and still potent. There's an overwhelmingly-sweet quality to the accord which doesn't appeal to me too much. I'd like some leather notes and a little more woody dryness to temper it. But hey, for the price... who's complaining! Not too bad really - far, far superior to the ghastly Stitch series and their ilk. To be worn with motley furs, red heels, tousled hair and lots of black eyeliner.

20th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th October, 2012)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

No wonder they lost to The Romans.

A singularly 'perfumey' frag which by any name still smells synthetic and el cheapo.

Leather? Give me REL or Cuir d' Oranger.
    Perhaps this will blend well with your skin chemistry? If so, wear it in good health, cooler climates, and remember that less is more--especially here.
    Linear and pungent.

21st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 June, 2009)

jasong9573's avatar

Artisan by John Varvatos

Nice fragrance. I loved "Jeans" by Tommy Hilfiger but they stopped making it. Artisan reminds me a lot of Jeans. Artisan starts out with an Orange blast then goes into a nice mix of woods and citrus.

Primavera1000's avatar

Je Suis Un Homme by Etat Libre d'Orange

Hah! I was interested to read bbBD's comments about differing fragrances. This was exactly my own experience.

After sniffing and dabbing my “American” sample for some time, I decided that I'd like to purchase a bottle of this, so I trotted along to Harvey Nicholl's in Knightsbridge and was shocked to find that their Je Suis un Homme was not at all like the sample I had. The "English" one was ordinary, flat, eau de cologne; nothing special at all. Now I realised how a scent that I really liked could have received the poor reviews that I had seen. My lush, patchouli laden sample, couldn’t possibly be the same fragrance. Convinced I’d been given something else by mistake, I obtained another sample from the USA to see if this was the case. It turned out to be exactly the same as the first one; lush & almost transparent with a slightly bitter camphorated note from the patchouli and a crystalised floral undertone. Very elegant.

I hope this wasn’t just a rogue batch.

Lalique pour Homme Equus by Lalique

Never before have I thought so little of a fragrance's topnotes and so much of the drydow. What is this? How did they do this? Probably the most evolving fragrance i have tried.

Vetyver by L'Occitane

Earthy, warm, fleeting, one of the best though. It combines vetiver with mastic (a combination that I have loved in Encre Noir) to create a bitter intoxicating opening. Poor longevity keeps it from getting my top ranking. IMHO puts VE to shame.

Dans Tes Bras by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

What I love about this fragrance is how it reminds me of another Roucel creation, Iris Silver Mist. I get the same salty, non sweet creaminess from those two fragrances. Maybe I also get the mushroom note. Something i wouldn't expect though is a combination of heliotrope with something else which for a feew brief moments in the opening reminds me of immortelle. i wasn't expecting that. Overall a very comfortable skin scent.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Iris 39 by Le Labo

A very cold and dry rooty/earthy iris fragrance. Like purplebird said, austere. I don't normally like iris, but I think I like this one more because it's cold and dry rather than cold and wet like mosts iris root scents. It's almost dusty, even, and a little sharp/acrid but in a way I find pleasant. Maybe it's the patchouli? It's not murky or musky like some patchouli scents though, it has a naturally "clean" feeling to it, clean like earth and rain and green growing things in the cool spring. That "clean" vibe almost, but only almost, verges on laundry detergent territory at times. This could easily be "unisex" or even "masculine", in my opinion - not that I care for gender designations but just so you get an idea of how far from sweet and fluffy it is. I don't love it - I don't think it's a scent to love. It's very reserved.

fraddicted's avatar

Bergamotto Marino by Gianfranco Ferré

Great fragrance and a wonderful alternative to the "fresh" ubiquitous scents in today's marketplace. It has a distinct eau de cologne feel but packs more of a wallup! The opening is very much in the vein of a stronger 4711 with the ambergris in the base giving the fragrance weight and good longevity. Not a sillage monster but wears close and is really perfect for the warm muggy days of late spring and summer. I really enjoy this one.

21st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 May, 2009)

margi's avatar

England England

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

I would have to vote this as my favourite fragrance of all time. I cannot understand those who feel it is for older people. The patchouli is devine and the most prominent note throughout, however the leather and tarragon are close at its heels. Longevity fantastic. I know this is predominantly a male fragrance, but I do wear my husbands stock at any opportunity. I defie anyone not to feel sexy smelling this on their spouse. The patchouli does induce a calm, tranquil mood for me, followed closely by an intense desire to rip the wearers clothes off!! I do refine this symptom to my husband though!! Thumbs way up.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Fougère Bengale by Parfum d'Empire

I love Fougère Bengale. It's my favorite immortelle fragrance, and I've tried quite a few.

Yes, it smells like curry, but it doesn't just smell like curry - it's green, it's spicy, it's herbal, and its fougère touch gives it a classic men's fragrance feel.

The top notes are lavender and coriander with immortelle peaking through in the background. The coriander note is like coriander leaves to me - greenly spicy rather than a spice cupboard effect. Think of the chopped cilantro used in Indian and Mexican food. The lavender is herbal, its floral qualities hidden. It's all very fresh and transparent initially, though it is - thankfully, given my tastes - free of citrus and aquatic notes.

In the heart the immortelle dominates, but slowly it mellows and the oakmoss makes itself at home, green and slightly bitter, with tobacco and a touch of a vanillic base. All very pleasant, gentle and unobtrusive.

I find the sillage good but the longevity a little wanting - I could do with more than the six to eight hours it gives me. That being said, its charm, lightness, and easy wearability paired with an unusual spicy-gourmand-meets-green-fougère accord make it a real winner in my book.

21st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st July, 2009)

erichtonius's avatar

France France

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Eau d'Hadrien is not just another citrus fragrance. The unusual grapefruit note, but light and well balanced with lemon, citrus blossom and cypress, reminds me an enchanting spring morning on the Riviera. It is not sweet as an Eau de Cologne, overflowing of orange blossom water; but sharper and smarter. Eau d'Hadrien is for me the best composition of Annick Goutal, and deserves its place beside "Bois de Cedrat" by Creed, a lemony fragrance I love.

21st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 February, 2010)

TaraYvonne's avatar

Benetroessere Relent by Etro

I completely agree with the love's baby soft comparison. I just can't get into it, way too soft and childlike (after the dry down) it remains a simple, pretty powder scent. If you like this sort of thing you should do well with it. If you like something more complex and adult this won't be for you. It's too quiet, simple, and innocent for me. But still pretty in it's own way so I won't be negative about it-it just isn't my thing. Perfectly fine for the right person, so I'll be kind in my judgement.

SirSlarty's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

On me, it's not cloying. It's not overly sweet. It's really nice. It's got a cedarwood drydown that's enjoyable. It's a long lasting fragrance. It is a tad flowery with a patchouli base but the sweet, ambered woods really are more pronounced on me. Paco's answer to Le Male or Rochas Man?

Bigsly's avatar

Bandit by Robert Piguet

This is for the reformulated EdP version. It's just too harsh and bitter for me. There's really nothing I find pleasant about it. It's almost like the "bones" of the Original Francesco Smalto fragrance (mossy, musky leather), and seems to me to be a relic of a bygone era (or error). So, if you find this too harsh and want a softer yet more masculine version of it, try the Francesco Smalto (while it's still available and super cheap). I'll give it a neutral because I can see this as a matter of taste, not "good" versus "bad."

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

I find the honeysuckle note in general to be very feminine. I have a huge bush of honeysuckle, which I stick my head into every summer as it's intoxicating. It doesn't smell like this. The Jo Malone rendition is nearer and I'm sure many more. This is a green/herbal mixture (get quite a bit of basil) and works well on that basis -- the drydown is wonderful. Maybe my honeysuckle is unoriginal.

Touaregh by Il Profumo

Yeah --- I remember this -- was looking for something completely different at the time, but the top notes just hook you in -- a sort of spicy pot-pourri and I succumbed. It's a bit like cds -- always have the best and strongest track as the first. I soon got pretty bored with it though -- a linear spice bomb that wore me down.

Lalique White by Lalique

I think this House has only made one mistake and that was Faune. White is lovely and has nice moves. The opening is citrusy and slightly generic, but this quickly passes and White moves through the spicy and musk phases effortlessly. I also detect quite strongly the white pepper, which underpins the fragrance for a long while and appears in quite a few of their fragrances. The musk and amber are lovely at the end -- I just wish White had better diffusion --- if it had the sillage of Equus it would be perfect.

Bolt of Lightning by JAR

the poor Jar salesman, he even admitted i smelled like a pickle.

Golconda by JAR

For Alpha women who love carnation. not for me

Eau de Gentiane Blanche by Hermès

gentian? never used in perfumery before and iris .... one of the best returns to European eau de colognes in years from the brilliant JCE

tanto's avatar

Crêpe de Chine by Long Lost Perfume

I purchased this for my wife in 1973. Too bad it became unavailable because it is really a nice frag. "China Crepe" and it smelled so very clean and sexy, too. Why do they discontinue the old classics and replace them with the new "disasters" ???