Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

Crêpe de Chine by Long Lost Perfume

I purchased this for my wife in 1973. Too bad it became unavailable because it is really a nice frag. "China Crepe" and it smelled so very clean and sexy, too. Why do they discontinue the old classics and replace them with the new "disasters" ???

Aramis by Aramis

Old school classic......absolutey! When worn in moderation, it smells good. You have to be a swarthy, hairy chested, manly kind of guy in order to really pull this off. The kind of guy who can wear Aramis can also wear Givenchy Gentleman very well, too. It's more than just wearing the fragrance, it's an attitude.

Aramis 900 by Aramis

I wore this scent on my wedding day back in 1974. Compliments beyond belief! Back then it was called Aramis Herbal (herbal was big back then). It has excellent longevity and the dry down is very good. This stuff is real pleasing and fresh smelling. too. Yes, it does smell a lot like Elixir of Aromatics by Clinique. At the same time, Aramius 900 smells very European, too.

21st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 October, 2009)

Havana by Aramis

Havana was a very pleasing fragrance. Subtle, spicy, and manly. I enjoyed wearing this one for as long as it was on the market. I'm a swarthy, hairy kind of guy and this stuff really mixed well with my body chemistry. It also smelled great if you start to sweat. This is a more "toned down" version of JHL and much more diluted, too. I really liked Havana and would gladly buy it again if it was available.

JHL by Aramis

JHL to me has always smelled like Estee Lauder Youth Dew for women. This stuff is very, very strong but not completely "manly". Yes, it is spicy but in a very feminine way. If a guy had this on he would smell very "obtrusive". It reminds me of YSL's Opium and Estee Lauder's Cinnibar. If a guy would have this on, he is struggling to be noticed and to get ATTENTION. Too, too "womanly".

New West for Him by Aramis

This stuff was OK. I really couldn't understand what it was intended to be because the sillage and longevity were "lousy". I wore it for a short while in 1990 because it was given to me as a gift. Nothing to brag about here. Smelled "clean" for the 30mins you could actually smell it after application.......then disappeared like a "puff of smoke".

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

Tuscany was alright but nothing "special". I can't see the connection to Tuscany, Italy (where I have been many times). I found Tuscany very "frustrating" to wear because of it's poor longevity. I guess that's why they later came out with Tuscany Forte'. The basic idea of this scent was good but I think they needed to add or remove something in order to really make it work. Very "ordinary run of the mill".

Myspunge's avatar

England England

Outrageous! by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I hate to disagree with My Hero, Vibert, but this one is Weird and Wonderful. Caramelized drycleaned lychees is the overall impression. Or Bond No 9 Chinatown re-arranged with a squarer jaw. Also like a modernized L’instant pour homme. The drydown shapes up into a really erectile aroma, an electrified rosewood zither of ticklish wood. I wish the galangal kick of the opening, the Caipirinha, could stick around longer though the nose-dive into what follows is spectacular, with its lagoon of cachous. The Missoni whose gestalt it shares is airier and less insidiously plump, more spruce that’s the word. Was reminded of Cipresso di Toscana and even more of Cool Water, which also has mint, orange blossom, and the ambery cedar at the last. Yes, OK, it's Radio City Music Hall not La Scala, but let's not get sniffy.

glitteralex's avatar

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

I tested this blind-all I knew was that it was a Creed scent. The initial impression was rather unisex-couldn't pinpoint whether it was going in a masculine or feminine direction. It's the cinnamon that caused the confusion, I see now. After 10 minutes I had a flashback to my grandfather's pomade-but instead of the mineral oil base, it had a softer, beeswax note. A pleasant olfactory trip. The drydown is very classic, sort of stodgy Newport. As a woman, I would not wear this, but find it interesting. It is very clearly an older style scent, I would say late 1940s-early 60s, although I know it was done much later. Good longevity, as all Creeds have on me.

rinosaur's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

Repulsive up to 15 minutes after spraying, smells like south asian/arab spices. Then it dries down to a pretty smooth, creamy and unique sweetness.

cestrenee's avatar

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

I was 2 years old when Opium made its debut. I began to wear Opium in my late teens, which is ridiculous because Opium in all its heady, spicy mystery is made for a WOMAN. I really had no idea what I was doing regarding perfume or anything else then, and subsequently avoided Opium (and lots of other things) like the plague for years. Now, at 33, I'm ready to give Opium another try. This time I know what I'm doing. Sort of.

Aries81's avatar

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

I only recently discovered Flowerbomb and tested it several times before deciding its charms were collection-worthy. There's more sugar than flowers, but the rose definitely comes through in a soft, powdery, sweet sort of way. Amber isn't listed in the notes but it's definitely there (to my nose) and warms everything up nicely. The tea comes through as well, as does the freesia. I believe the jasmine note is of the sambac variety, which I instinctively gravitate toward, and which smells more liquid, powdery and light than any other species of the plant (for reference, see Alien). The patchouli is a very clean version of itself - hardly there, in fact. Nothing like the patchouli hangover of Angel (which I adore but which would ruin this lovely feminine). I detect a slight hint of chocolate, as well. I used to own and adore Bath & Body Works' Sensual Amber, which is very similar to Flowerbomb, but with fruity notes replacing FB's chocolate.

The lasting-power is good, as it is with most powdery, rose scents. In structure, I would certainly compare it to Alien, and it has that same, sweet-rosy-powdery vibe that Tresor offers, only much softer and "pinker," and with a tea accord keeping it just slightly brighter. I think over-applying this scent will keep it from developing. It stays close to the skin however, so over-applying won't leave a strong trail of sillage in your wake.

My guy smells caramel and I did too, on the test strip, but on my skin, it's a different story. Sometimes, when the weather's colder, I get more of a grape-juice-and-tea smell at first, which fades down to a very sweet jasmine. Other days, when my body temperature rises, I get more rose, more chocolate, and more of the powdery amber which is my favorite part. On the test strip, as my guy correctly noted, it smells of the trick-or-treat candy bags of our youth. He was sweet enough to get me a refillable bottle of this juice for Valentine's Day and I could not love the bottle more! The black V&R tab of the original has been replaced with a pink, metallic tab which matches the cap. It's overall, a thicker, rounder bottle and extremely original (though the juice may not be).

Definitely recommended for anyone who likes Tresor, Alien, Lipstick Rose, or other sweet scents.

montmorency's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I tried this because I had heard it smelled like burning rubber. OK, I can accept this, just as I accept that there are several frags out there that are supposed to smell like steam from an iron. These are irresistible invitations to sniff, and guess what? They all live up to their billing. To borrow a line from Dr Johnson, it is not done well, but you marvel that it is done at all. I admire whatever wild inspiration made these ideas seem like good ones, but does anyone want to smell like an industrial accident?

21st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2010)

MerrittIsland's avatar

California by Dana

I originally received this in a Christmas grab bag and thought big deal. But one summer day I decided to spritz some on and much to my suprise, it wasn't too bad! It's fresh, light and a bit powdery and, yes a little arrtificial. But it's uplifting as well and certainly something that can be worn in warmer weather. It isn't my first choice, but I do fine myself reaching for it now and then. More often than not I'll get a compliment! Haven't bought a bottle for myself but it's rather inexpensive so I just MIGHT "splurge" on a cheap thrill!

MerrittIsland's avatar

Bronze Goddess Eau Fraîche Skinscent by Estée Lauder

This is what you wear when you want to remember that fabulous beach vacation any time. The afternoons spent walking the beach, swimming in the surf, napping in the sun. A wonderful fragrance with the ability to transport you to the beach immediately. On me, it stays close to the skin which is OK because I seem to do the wrist-to-the-nose quite often. I'll keep this on hand for as long as it's available. Love this one!

stevo30's avatar

Cavalli Man by Roberto Cavalli

Maybe cause I'm newer to the frag game, but I dont really get the hate towards Cavalli Man. Yes, longevity kinda sucks, but the scent itself is really quite nice. Youthful, but still quite elegant and more mature than most AdG citrusy watery scents. I get a nicely evolving fresh opening that dries down to a pepper, and lots of it. Only thing that keeps me from a thumbs up is longevity.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

When I wore this for the first time, I loved every minute of it. I quickly grew to hate it, however, as its ridiculous sweetness made me feel really nauseous. It still does, to an extent, but I have found that when applied correctly, it can be calmed enough to avoid this. It's very strong, and will last 24 hours. I consider that to be a good thing, but it means you should definitely be careful applying this. It starts off dark and unpleasant. I find it to be a mixture of coffee and chocolate. I once walked by a coffee machine shortly after applying this, and the combination was just horrible. Over the course of several hours, it slowly develops into a lighter mix of vanilla/chocolate. I find this to be very nice sometimes, and overpowering at other times. It really depends on the situation with this one. I look forward to wearing it in the winter. I imagine that walking out in the snow around Christmastime with a lover while wearing this scent has got to be a beautiful thing. But until then, I'm not so sure about this.

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

I absolutely love Jazz. It doesn't just smell nice; the scent actually makes me really happy. It is a very warm, deep scent. When I wear it, I feel like I'm expecting it to just swallow me up in its warmth. If I try to smell it on my skin, it's nothing special. But the aura it creates is wonderful. It's pretty weak, so I have to apply a lot, and even then it refuses to become overwhelming. Which contributes to its intoxicating effect. I don't smell it constantly. Every once in a while, the scent will rise up to my nose and make me feel like I'm in heaven. Once it's gone, I eagerly anticipate its return. Other people probably won't notice it, but that's not the purpose of Jazz. I feel a strong emotional connection to this fragrance because it brings up so many memories. The thing is, I'm not entirely sure what it reminds me of. I catch glimpses of memories when I wear this scent, and am briefly brought back to walking around at the State Fair with friends and other experiences that I can't quite pinpoint, like a dream upon waking. All in all, it's very lovely and I plan on wearing it often.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Kouros is an absolutely fantastic scent. It is very powerful, so it should be applied with caution. Many people think this smells like urinal cakes; I agree completely. Yes, this isn't a very pleasant association, but it really doesn't matter, because this stuff smells absolutely divine. I don't really know how to describe it, but it seems bitter to me. When I wear it, I find it very difficult to resist the urge to just smell myself constantly. It's very unique and stands out due to its sheer strength. As for longevity, this lasts 24 hours, so applying in the morning, will last until my shower the next morning. Everyone should at least try wearing this once, because it is a fascinating experience. I will say this, though: being stuck in a tight, hot, poorly ventilated room with this is vastly unpleasant. Beware.

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a very well-made scent. It accomplishes what it wants to, and I appreciate it for that. But it's too much for me. It's spicy, but dark. Very dark. It remains like this for hours, until it eventually dries down to a vanilla-dominated scent. This is lighter, and I like it more, but it is too sweet for my personal taste. It's very strong, and the longevity is certainly not a problem at all. This will last all day, no problem. I really do enjoy the smell of it, but it needs to be toned down a little, as it is just above my toleration level. This ends up being cloying, and makes my stomach churn. But that's probably just because of my low tolerance for vanilla.

Burberry Summer for Men by Burberry

I am not a fan of citrus scents. However, I will say that I don't mind this. As a matter of fact, I like it a lot. I wore it all last summer to band camp. I recently wore it again, and the smell instantly reminded me of those beautiful summer nights. As a result, I absolutely love this scent. As for the smell itself, it is very sharp on top, but it's not sickening like some other citrus fragrances. It's actually quite nice. Sillage and longevity are my only problems with it. It is extremely weak, and must be applied very liberally. It also is completely gone within a couple hours. It's a total disappointment. But as far as citrus scents go, this is great. I think it works best on those summer nights when you're going out for a few hours and just want to smell fresh.

Euphoria Men Intense by Calvin Klein

Oh, this is delicious! I knew from the first time I smelled it that I absolutely had to own it. It's a cool, fruity scent, and it's hard for me to imagine someone disliking it. I find it fresh and exciting. It isn't too strong, but it isn't really weak either, so if I apply enough, I can get good sillage out of it. It lasts all day on me without becoming weak, and that's a hugely important factor for me. This scent is fun and youthful and I can't get enough of this. It's perfect for relaxed days spent hanging out with friends doing nothing at all. Overall, a wonderful fragrance that I can't recommend enough.

shamu1's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

BdP is obviously made of quality ingredients, and yes, it's really spicy, boozy, manly, etc, etc.. I even bought a small 1 oz. bottle of it recently. However, unfortunately I'm finding it's hard for me to wear this because it makes me feel like I should be wearing an ascot. I can't smell this without thinking of a prissy, uptight dandy from the 18th century. I can't totally pan BdP because it's obviously very well constructed, and it has an amazing warmth, richness and complexity. It's just a bit too stodgy and stuffy for me to wear except in cold weather. Even though it's not really my style, I have to give Bois du Portugal a thumbs up. Fans of classic British masculine fragrances will drool over this.

21st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 26 August, 2009)

aezikely's avatar

Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

I've been reading BN reviews for years, and I've finally been inspired to write one as I sit, enjoying my application of Tiffany for Men. Part chypre, part oriental, TFM is (to me) one of the greatest masculines ever made. Structure, composition, sillage, longevity, etc. all top notch. TFM is as classy as they come but unlike some 'formal' fragrances it can be worn every day or casually.

The topnotes are crisp citrus oils... not just 'citrus' in the normal airy manner, but a rich, thick citrus. From citrus a sandalwood emerges, backed by a bit of spice and florals that enhance the sandalwood - but it's the sandalwood that is really the star and my favorite aspect of the fragrance. The sandalwood persists for a few hours, slowly giving way to an mossy/woodsy yet lightly sweetened base. There is a slightly powdery feel throughout the application, giving TFM that slightly formal feel to it, but it's nowhere near as formal or stuffy as something like Platinum Egoiste.

As of the time of writing a 50ml bottle of TFM is a mere $50 - it may be the best $50 you ever spend on a bottle!

Yurpdod's avatar

Only The Brave by Diesel

I was so excited for this fragrance because I love the bottle, but what a disappointment! It's basically just another bland aquatic scent, although maybe a little bit more powdery that most others. There's nothing unique or striking about it. It succeeds as a fragrance simply because it smells nice, but there's no depth or artistry to this cologne. It's decent, but there are much better options out there.

Olfacticurean's avatar

Pulp by Byredo

Unfortunately, as many reviewers have noted, for a fragrance that potentially seemed so promising, Pulp is a complete disappointment. An attractive set of top notes yields nothing more than a bland opening reminiscent of pure passion fruit, and the dry down that follows leaves much to be desired. I don't know which perfumer created Pulp, but Ben Gorham's only qualification seems to be that a few years ago he thought it a fanciful idea to create a fragrance line. Not only is Pulp, as are the other fragrances in this line, singular, vacuous, and confused, but the whole line seems to be an ill-fated attempt to knock-off Editions des Parfums (just look at the packaging), which is indeed a great line with a great creative director. Hopefully, people will not be conned into thinking they are actually buying something unique and original.

montmorency's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

This is the first perfume I knew - age 10 - because my mother bought it as a delicious curiosity. She never wore it, and I sprayed it all around my room because I thought the whole world should smell this way. Wore it through high school and college in the 1970s when everyone else was wearing Charlie. It seemed like everything French, Mediterranean, impossibly fresh, chic, definitely for girls. It made me happy just to take a hit out of the bottle on a grey day. It was a world in a bottle.

Then I lost contact with it for 20 years, and two decades later I have it in my collection again. It's still pretty good, but what have they done to it? It seems to have had a base of musk or something certifiably masculine added to it, so it's now definitely a 'guy' scent, the kind that's made to persuade guys it's ok to wear anything besides deodorant. Does anyone know whether it has been tampered with? The Eau Sauvage of my recollection smelled a lot like Annick Goutal's L'Eau du Sud or Clarin's Eau Dynamisante - all vetiver/citrus splash, nothing load-bearing or remotely affected by gravity. Is this a change in formula, or is it just anno domini messing with my now middle-aged nose? Answers please.

21st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 June, 2012)

erichtonius's avatar

France France

Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal

Eau du Sud is a very sophisticated citrus chypre perfume. It could remind you Eau Sauvage, another citrus chypre fragrance, but there is a world between the two. Eau du Sud is not only more complex : its pleasant and evocative association of fresh citrus and herbs notes with a hint of jasmine and lavender, its deep and sophisticated chypre base with a distinct note of true vetiver, like an old french chypre perfume of 1900 or 1920, give an impression of refinement. That makes Eau du Sud a very interesting fragrance, much more than Eau d'Hadrien.

21st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 July, 2012)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Rochas Lui by Rochas

Vibert put it best with " woody vanilla harmonics. " As to the ad copy that " this scent is designed to be a mix of old and new " weeel . . .No it's not that innovative.
    C&S No. 88 it's not. Still this is a fun wear and while you might not give it your undivided attention above all others, it is most certainly a thumbs up!
    My thanks to Silverbullet for turning me on to this one. A comfort scent, and an old world feel and a modern interpretation. Hm . . .Here I contradict myself, but I don't care. A mix of old and new indeed!

22 April, 2009

iMaverick's avatar

Alien by Thierry Mugler

When I first tried Alien, I was terribly put off by the sweetness of the the jasmine top notes. This was a sampling on paper. Fast forward several months, bored to death of mostly everything put out there lately, I tried Alien again--on skin this time...I was feeling brave.

Trying it on skin is a different feel now. The jasmine isn't so in-your-face now, but don't get me wrong, it's still rather potent. As it progressed on my skin, it smelled more and more comforting as the jasmine fades.

IMO it's a play on the Mugler's Angel theme, in modern historical terms. That what was thought as spiritual beings from heaven, it is really about visitors from the outer realms of the universe. These visitors may be quite the angels that were described in ancient times. (And I just might be OD-ing from the History Channel!)

Alien, to me, is a solar scent. Bright, expansive, happy, peaceful, ethereal. It gets better and better as the scent progresses throughout the day. It doesn't get heavier, but lighter, cleaner. The wood and amber in this scent makes the floral sweetness soar as an airy delight of flight.

Now that I own the scent, I couldn't help but think I've smelled something in the same vein. The floral woodiness of Alien was much like another favorite of mine--Versace's The Dreamer. The Dreamer does it with Lily, Tobacco, Tarragon and Amber. Alien does it with Jasmine, a Cedar-like note, and Amber.

Both seem to have equal potency and longevity. Careful with applying Dreamer/Alien on warmer and balmy days. The lily/jasmine expands into a very bold aura around you as I've discovered.

22 April, 2009