Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

Amorgos's avatar

France France

Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's

A great ,balanced ,smart and evocative scent ! Bright and discreet at the same time ,traditional and modern ,so, very "british". It takes me into english gardens (roses),london's clubs (wood) palace's chapel (incense)and grocery(spices).Unfortunatly it doesn't last too much on me...

hermesfan1978's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Angel is quite possibly one of the worst perfumes i have ever had the misfortune of smelling. My old flat mate used to wear it, couldnt stand more than a few minutes in her presence..gave me headache. Ugliest smell on the market...

hermesfan1978's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I love this fragrance, is masculine and classy.. you wont find you 18-30's clubber wearing this. I have bought it for my dad, brother and partner....can immediately tell when someone on the tube is wearing it, attracted like a hawk. Again another great scent from Hermes, also love Orange Verte. Hermes make sensible adult scents for sensible yet sophisticated people, Terre takes on many forms from inital spray to a sultry few hours later, always smelling warm, welcoming and clean and more importantly sexy and sophisticated. Jo Malone manage to create the same sort of feeling with their Lime and Basil unisex scent. What might put you off the JM is that Ant or was it Dec ( one with big forehand) described it in a recent interview as his all time favourite unisex smell!!!!! Hopefully price point of hermes terre will put off the younger chav lot from buying...

ortho123's avatar

Agua Brava by Antonio Puig

Along with the initial clean sense of grooming and even soapiness, there's a smokiness edged in brightness in the drydown that is truly superb, a scent balanced by the fact that it doesn't blast all day but stays close for who you care about. Enough of the day to day along with attitude to make this one a classic and a winner.

01st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 12th June, 2011)

lefay's avatar

Aperçu by Houbigant

If this is a reformulation of the original, it was done in classic style, somewhat reminiscent of the premier Chypre by Coty. (I have the parfum.) Apercu is a gorgeous chypre, opening with a beautifully composed floral/green accord (if there is tuberose here I can't detect it) underpinned by soft woods and spice. Not a trace of powder, thankfully. It strikes me somehow as a scent that both the patrician Katharine Hepburn and the outre Marlene Dietrich could have worn in the '30s, yet it's also quite modern. Reminds me a bit of Tommi Sooni's Tarantella but without the fizzy aldehydes. Sophisticated and timeless.

01st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 07th November, 2013)

laurent's avatar

American Crew Classic Fragrance by American Crew

I like it !!

Classic - nearly timeless !! and this one is not 2009 as it is not 1990 !!

Not your average lovely fruity/lemony - it has got some citrus but it has been fuelled with spices

It has got a great smell of well groomed and it does go well with all the Classic line from American Crew>
    BUT in my opinion it does have a little bit of wildeness in it - just enough to make really interesting and naughty !! - I would explain this by saying that this scent goes very well with men's natural scent.

So this will not break ground or your bank account - but this is well made and it has a bit of an animal punch into it

I recommend it

02nd April, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th April, 2009)

Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori

Caution: Sweet alert. If you hate sweet fragrances, read no more. This perfume opens with a bubblegum note, and I like bubblegum. The name is misleading on my sample. It merely states “Hanae Mori” EDP. I don’t think it is the original 1965 fragrance, which was peach, patchouli, and vanilla, or I would be crazy about it. It must be the new Butterfly, which is strawberry, bilberry, black currant, rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, sandalwood, almond, and praline. At any rate, the fruit notes are indistinct; they may as well be peach. Together, they form a tutti-frutti concoction that is creamy and candylike. (I am surprised that this is Japanese; I thought they preferred clean, transparent scents, but this does fit in with their enchantment with all things “cute.”) It doesn’t do anything astonishing, but the pleasing bubblegum note carries on for a long time. It’s childlike and fun, and I can’t help liking it. It won’t replace Coco the more grown-up, fruity fragrances in my wardrobe, but I do enjoy it.

Kapsule Woody by Lagerfeld

A pseudo sandalwood with creamy, vanillic tones and mild spices. I can't say anything bad about it, but it fails to excite me after smelling the likes of Tam Dao, Chanel Bois des Iles, Bulgari Omnia, Creed Original Santal, Etro Sandalo, and a host of others.

Kapsule Floriental by Lagerfeld

A mild, slightly spicy, soft, violet floral that creates a mellow skin scent. Like the others in the Kapsule series, it is pleasing, and I cannot say anything disparaging about it, but it fails to inspire.

Kapsule Light by Lagerfeld

Something for the apologetic perfume wearer who wants to smell freshly-washed, as though having just stepped out of the shower with the faint aroma of cleanser wafting off the skin. A clean, gently soapy citrus fades quickly to a skin scent. I can’t dislike it, but I want my perfumes to do much more than this

Bois d'Iris by The Different Company

Sadly I loved this for all of five minutes , Iris is not a smell I like but as this is root of Iris it's lovely . Then after five minutes on me it turned into pencil shavings . I might have bought a cheaper cedar heavy fragrance as that's the over-riding smell.

Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

The most sensual rose perfume I have ever tried. It's strong and after a while a little like soil coming through like it's rained in your rose garden. A work of genius.

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Very clever , it smells like an icy morning to me. It's light and fresh so great on hot days yet fun to smell on a cold day.

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This made me nauseous and gave me a migraine. It is rich and voluptuous but like a roomful of women all wearing haevy scent.

Jasmin de Nuit by The Different Company

The jasmine was buried in patchouli after a few minutes . The price is really not justified.

Dans Tes Bras by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Ghastly , at first a sort of vanilla that starts getting a strong spicy smell. Then it smells like a bin on a hot day with something pleasant trying to break through. This is experimental perfumery that is fine if you were trying to re-create the smells of the Viking times for York museum.

ivan2057's avatar

Austria Austria

Essenza Del Tempo by Trussardi

Opens with some pleasent and very very smooth citrus to evolve into a hint of a soap. It remains pleasent but you don't really get the impression of wearing a fragrance.
    It doesn't last on my skin at all and when I put it on in the morning by the time I get to work it's hardly there.
    So why bother wearing it, if any shower gel has the same effect.

jrd4t's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I have a hard time describing this, but I love it. When I first smelled it, I thought "old paper" in a good way, but there's so much more. The people before me have described it much better than I can, but count me as a fan nonetheless!

distortech's avatar

Shania Starlight by Stetson

Top notes : freesia, mandarin orange, apple tree blossom and lemon

Middle notes : magnolia, gardenia, jasmine and musk

Base notes : sandalwood, tonka bean, amber and cashmere wood.

Gorgeous and highly addictive IMHO. Why this is looked over so much on Basenotes is beyond me?!?! It goes on strong and fades in good time down to a very pleasant base that I love more and more everytime. Absolutely lovely.

Dana Cerise's avatar

Brooklyn by Bond No. 9

After the citrus/fresh blast (OK, if you are looking for a car freshener), it settles to a traditional clean masculine laced with the smell of lit firewood. But not a fresh, green woodsiness, more like a weak campfire. Where's the leather? I don't get leather here. A boring fragrance, although the bottle asserts that it's not.

TaraYvonne's avatar

No. 19 by Chanel

I am not a fan of neroli in top notes as a rule, matter of fact I really don't care for any of these top notes. But this is such a masterful blending of ingredients that no one thing stands out to me. The whole thing is so well done that I am completely smitten with it, and I'm off to find a bottle as soon as I can. I'm only sad I just now discovered it with a little help from a friend (thank you Sunnyfunny for the sample!) and have went without it this long. The classics endure, and this one stands the test of time and has as much relevance as when it began. It is simply lovely. A must try for anyone.

SirSlarty's avatar

White Musk for Men by Body Shop

Fresh woody n' slightly sweet musk. A good all around musk and very comforting. Nothing unique but it's well made.

SirSlarty's avatar

Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

Huge dose of calone. I'm sure you can purchase calone for cheaper than what's in this bottle.

bbBD's avatar

Armani Privé Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani

Here in the US the discount chain TJ Maxx and it's sister store Marshalls has received a flood of Armani Prive 'refill bottles', the internal fragrance bottle intended to slip into the wooden container with the fancy pebble cap. The refill bottle itself has a spray and is actually quite solid, physically and visually. In an amazing illustration of exactly how large the profit margin is on these fragrances, the refill bottles sell for $30 (at which price point the chain still profits). As I peruse the reviews, below, many of which mention the high price I almost twinge with empathy for all those who shelled out $150 or more for their bottles. I've had samples of the Prives forever, but because of these deep discounts I've had the opportunity to really play with them.

Bois d'Encens is by FAR my favorite Prive, and in fact it's the only one I enjoy. I've been exploring incense fragrances lately, and BdE is essentially frankincense with light supporting notes. On application the fragrance is all pepper, but within a couple minutes the frankincense note appears. As the pepper fades the frankincense becomes more dominant. The incense note is light and airy with a wonderful balance between being sharp and peppery and sweet and resinous. The absence of other strong notes lets the beauty of the frankincense do the talking, and as Turin points out in the Guide, frankincense has a wonderful quality of 'never smelling exactly the same twice'. I agree with this comment and have found that weather, clothing, situation, etc. all play in role in how Bois d'Encens presents itself on the skin. At first the sillage is very good but fades after a couple hours. Even thought the sillage fades the fragrance continues to develop slowly.

In the drydown slightly sweeter notes appear to balance the frankincense, and as a review below notes these seem to be balsamic, woody notes that have a sweet and resinous aroma of their own. At this stage BdE reminds me quite a bit of Guerlain's epic Bois d'Armenie which is loaded with balsam wood and incense. Bois d'Armenie is, in my opinion, a far superior incense fragrance, but it is also much richer and not nearly as minimalist as the Armani and thus they don't occupy the same niche. Longevity is good, 5-7 hours.

All in all Bois d'Encens is very good.fragrance and that's why I'm giving it a strong thumbs up (I try to judge in a vacuum without regard to value). However, I would never buy this at full price as I don't feel it's THAT good, especially when other great frankincense fragrances like Memoire Liquide Hommage are cheaper, and expensive incense fragrances like Bois d'Armenie are better. If you or someone you know can snag one at TJX/Mashalls by all means grab one. [special thanks to the BNer who bought me a bottle at their local Marshalls.]

Giardini girl's avatar

Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

It's a light crisp fragrance. Doesn't hang around long. It's ok for quickey outings.

Heawns's avatar

Sweden Sweden

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

The first few hours reminded me of summer... Fresh air, tar, flowers, a synthetic smelling bath/shower-gel-time after a day out in the sun...yet enough hints of the warmer half of this fragrance. Lovely in my opinion, and in your face! The later drydown (wich lasts very very long on my skin) is much less intimidating, warmer as I said, and the synthetic touch (from the helonial I guess) depletes.

The fragrance notes written here I agree explains this fragrance a lot.

Heawns's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Porsche Design Essence by Porsche

I haven't smelled a lot of light/aquatic/sporty/fresh-scents in my life, and I don't really wan't to either...

I sincerely think this is a good fragrance (perhaps not a good fragrance to use, dun dun duun). My 1.2ml vial will last me a good while!

I would give it a thumbs up if this wasn't the type of scent 'everyone' would wear.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Ricci Club by Nina Ricci

I am not getting much love from this one. Much as I hope to like this, especially after reading all the positive reviews, I just felt that while it is a respectable citrus scent, there's nothing here, not even in the beautiful opening, that will induce me to reach out for it more often. I just wish Ricci Club is a little more colorful, more vivid. Longevity is quite poor. I also have the concentration- this is a little better but still it doesn't do much for me.

voidvader's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

This is a good citrusy scent, with good sillage and great longivity! But i think it's better for young men,less then 20 years old. That´s my opinion... There's nothing here so masculine, but it isn´t a offensive scent. Another bad of it, is the fact ADG is out there, everywhere, in many men,(by the way, like L'eau d'Issey too). So, you wont have exclusivity wearing this... You'll be just another man wearing ADG.For that, i would say its a good scent...but i wont wear it!

voidvader's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Woww.... very nice scent... Yes its another predominant citrusy scent, but not like others, in my opinion. I don't know which note does, but this scent has a fascinating freshness... nothing sweet, just freshy and i little woodsy. Good for summer, a all day scent. It's more the way of givenchy pour homme, but with better sillage and longivity. A good try...