Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

mikey_p's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Flat, shapeless and totally devoid of any structure whatsoever. The problem isn't even that it is "feminine". This smells CHEAP!

mikey_p's avatar

Reflection Man by Amouage

A total disaster from the house of Amouage. This is the only fragrance in the men's lineup which seems totally lacking in quality. It is as if the budget was blown on all the others and there was only a pittance left. It also seems particularly shapeless, much like the hideous Gucci II. In a word, horrific.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Brit Sheer by Burberry

I've been on a wearability kick lately, and this Brit Sheer by Burberry fits the bill! True enough, there is nothing groundbreaking or particularly different about this fruity floral, but it is satisfying to wear. There are days, mostly in the heat of summer, when I'm not sure what fragrance to choose. Brit Sheer works well for those days! Omnia Crystalline by Bulgari used to be a real 'go to' frag for me, and I think if you are a fan of OC you'd probably enjoy Brit Sheer for a change of pace. Brit Sheer is similar in very character. The fruity notes are slightly tangy and 'Asian' feeling, drying down to a lightweight white woodsy musk. Wears like a scented veil, "sheer" is the perfect adjective!

cpk's avatar

Greece Greece

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

First time i tried this I was actually scared by it. It seemed to have a huge opening, dry and inensy. When I tried it several months later it seemed mush more tamed. Come to think of it that's probably because i ve smelled Musc Ravageur in the meantime. Where MR is sweet cinammon and vanilla SN is dry cinammon and clove. The second driest SL after Gris Clair.
    Edit: I wonder if it is just my idea, but SN feels to me just like an addition to the Bois family. Bois des Epices or Bois d' Incense for that matter. I did a side by side of SN and Feminite du Bois and the similarities are amazing. It is like playing the same melody with different instruments.

22 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 March, 2010)

Coriandre by Jean Couturier

I has high hopes for "mossy" and "green", but there's something about Coriandre that just doesn't agree with me: I perceive it as "perfumey" in the worst possible way: musty, soapy and plasticky all at once. I think there must be quite a lot of aldehydes in it because I get that sharp, piercing, bright, powdery/soapy smell I associate with aldehydes. Apart from that, a vaguely fruity sweetness, fruity in a watery, insipid kind of way like a supermarket apple or pear. Underneath all that, perhaps some green and herbal notes. I get none of the notes listed, and no coriander, which is a pity because unlike many I do appreciate coriander. My girlfriend found it yummy when smelling it on a paper strip though, and I admit it's better on paper than on my skin, vaguely greener and less piercingly sharp and "white". I suppose I'll give my sample to her and hope it smells better on her...

Rose 31 by Le Labo

A very warm and woody rose, reminiscent of other rose fragrances with strong woody/resinous/spicy basenotes such as Diptyque Oponé, Tauer Incense Rosé, Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose and L'Artisan Voleur de roses. Though I'm not a fan of rose scents or rose notes in general, I really appreciate this particular scent category, and Rose 31 is no exception. I don't think I need more than my sample though - both Incense Rosé and Paestum Rose are higher on my "to buy a full bottle"-list. My girlfriend didn't get the rose at all, she thought it smelled like birchwood, and I can see that - the sweetness of the rose blends together seamlessly with the sweetness of wood. To me, that's a good thing, since I'm not the greatest rose fan around.

Vetiver 46 by Le Labo

I can't really pick out any vetiver in this concoction - it's not grassy or rooty or earthy like other vetiver scents. Instead, it's dry, astringent, aromatic, green and woody in a coniferous forest kind of way. It reminds me a little bit of Yatagan, though it's not quite as sharp and dry, not scorched brown herbs, but greener, perhaps even a little "cooler" and "wetter" but just a little. There is a certain sweetness in it which I associate with the natural sweetness of pine or fir. I also get what others are saying when they call it "smoky", though I don't perceive that hot, dry, acrid accord as smoke per se, more like some aromatic shrubs or weeds, lichen perhaps. I really, really enjoy it for its great, rugged, outdoorsy feel. My girlfriend immediately liked it too, she exclaimed that it smelled "fun" (!?)

scentsitivity's avatar

Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's

Opus 1870 has a more modern feel to it than most of the fragrances I have tried from this house (e.g., Blenheim Bouquet, English Fern and Douro come to mind). It is about woods; primarily cedar, a bit smoky, a touch of spice. The opening has a bit of sweetness which diminishes in the development. A pleasant, classy masculine.

Islandwriter's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

I saw someone refer to this as God's personal perfume.
    I guess that about sums it up for me......

Hilaire's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Zen (new) by Shiseido

I love this fragrance, it's heady and sweet and very long lasting, all of which tick my boxes. I find it less woody then most, and perhaps the Patchouli wood is what I find most dominant in the base, instead I find the Freesia and Hyacinth predominate. I also find a kind of tangy Incense odour remains on my skin and clothing for days even after only a small application. It interacts deliciously with other fragrances also, and i imagine this is because of Shiseido's commitment to such high quality materials. I can't believe how reasonable it is in price considering.

Hilaire's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

J'adore this fragrance, it is darkly and sweetly pungent, with a strong does of chocolate and cinnamon. Thankfully it avers the kind of Vanillic cliches it might have been laden with. The Iris note remains intact but is subtly moderated into something which develops less and lasts longer than the original Dior Homme. Very seductive and masculine.

SirSlarty's avatar

Labyrinthe Libertin by Le Prince Jardinier

Lots of stuff going on here but overall it's a light citrus with a herbaceious and floral feeling to it and a tiny bit musky. It comes off as powdery but very, very, very light powder... more like a smooth wood. It's all very light and while it's a beautiful yet complex fragrance, longevity is a huge issue. Spray a little more than usual with this one. I really want to give it a thumbs up but lasting power took a turn for me.

OlfactoryExperience's avatar

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

This opens with a refreshing and invigorating citrus accord that is rounded by mint and cilantro. This aroma has sweet undertones that somewhat linger in the background though your nose may sense their presence right away. This opening accord is so refreshing that many people often associate this fragrance with summer and spring. But having worn this fragrance through out the year, during various seasons and in different climates, I believe this scent is extremely versatile. It is refreshing enough to serve as a summer fragrance, but its base and middle notes bear a fullness that would be best appreciated in winter or fall. In fact, I could see this being worn during both day and night. As many other reviewers have noted, the cilantro (rhubarb leaf, I believe) stays throughout the entire progression of the fragrance providing a herbal, green feel. Live Jazz eventually dries down to a woody musk with a hint of sweetness. All in all, Live Jazz is a delightful fragrance in that it will elicit favorable responses without offending others. One recommendation: Do not over spray! It may seem initially like the scent is too light and does not stay, but its really quite the contrary. The scent has beautiful sillage and lasts 8-10 hrs even in warm settings, but it is easily very cloying if over used.

Merbert's avatar

Cristalle Eau de Toilette by Chanel

Cristalle is a brighter, cleaner Diorella in many respects. The aldehyde burst lets free a lovely green floral that reminds me most of the Freesia alba, not those ultra-sweet modern freesias in electric colors, but the humble ivory and green blossom that to me is the ultimate green floral note. Both are assertive, but playful. There is a hint of lemon, but definitely not your Lemon Pledge variety. Cristalle's delightful chypre is only slightly metallic and has some richness that I can't put into words. This note stays around the longest, relatively unmodified until it eventually fades away.

After many years away from this fragrance (it was one of my regulars), I tried it again yesterday. In my opinion it has withstood the test of time very well and I'm considering a bottle for old time's sake. Perhaps it's a fragrance more suited to someone young, but smelling it made me feel awfully young at heart.

Merbert's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

This is a review of the parfum.
    There is no other parfum that reduces me to the inability to form complete sentences.

Long, sharp shadows
    Mounds of soft moss
    Damp stones under dark clouds
    Cool, yet inviting flesh
    Freshly dug orris, still damp with earth
    A dark glance beneath a darker lace veil
    Tart threads still attached to a fresh peach seed
    Mezmerizing smoke curling from kyara

...words fail me further when my husband wears it!

Galleddrim's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

This is good stuff. A lot like a slightly less sweet, more herbaceous version of Lolita Lempicka. LL is like candy--sweet and fun. L'Instant is a little more complex. I like them both. But if I had to pick between the two, I'd pick L'Instant.

Kaern's avatar

Terre de Bois by Miller Harris

You never know how much you miss something until it's gone. Have returned to TDB and I still love it, which doesn't always happen. A brilliantly blended unisex fragrance by Lyn Harris of woods, herbs and spices. The fennel and juniper in the middle are the stars together with the lovely patchouli at the bottom. Lasts all day on me, spanking sillage and women love it -- there are no negatives. A brilliant creation.

Tony T's avatar

DKNY Red Delicious Men by Donna Karan

gourmand or oriental with a note or 2 of sweetness but not overly done.very masculine cognac and rum that runs circles around spark which uses the same 2 notes.i don't detect much vanilla but the coffee and patchouli work very well in the drydown. casual or a night out scent with good longevity!!!

Tony T's avatar

Kiton Black by Kiton

kinda smooth and fruity but not an aquatic or marine mess.kinda like the original but not as green. a definate gq scent that should be sparingly used. a masterpiece for sure that should be in every guy's wardrobe!!!

Visit by Azzaro

This is one scent I could never wear (nor would I purchase it). I think it is so medicinal and unpleasing. There is just something about it that turns my stomach. Unfortunately, I put this in the same league as Givenchy's Very Irresistible.....HORRIBLE !!!

Paradise for Men by Alfred Sung

To me, Paradise is a very pleasing scent. Its a nice mix of papaya w/ other notes. As most people have mentioned that it has a very poor longevity, on me, Paradise will last for hours. This is an easy frag to wear and always smells very "fresh". I like it !

Cerruti Image Fresh Energy by Cerruti

Clean and fresh best describes Fresh Energy. It has an almost "minty" opening to it along with other real "fresh" notes. I really like this one. It is subtle and long lasting. I was ablr to find it in Marshall's for under $20 for the 3.4oz spray. Fresh Energy has a character all its own and it is very agreeable, too.

nathaliez's avatar

France France

Hot Couture White Collection by Givenchy

The almond scent in it doesnt agree with me...I found that fragrance to be old fashioned, and I couldnt wear it..I dislike the notes in it..nothing fresh or really luminous about that one..smelled like old glue to me!!!

nathaliez's avatar

France France

Jardin D'Interdit by Givenchy

at first , it is quite sharp..it has an oriental undertone to it...I will need to wait to see how it turns on me..so far I am not enthousiastic...feels a bit sharp for my nose!

rinosaur's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Yes.... here it is, the fruity-aquatic that spawned countless smell-alikes. Its massively popular and thats for a good reason: I don't know of a single person that would be offended by this. Thats the case with most aquatics so houses pump these out every few years. Commonly blamed for spawning a new bland genre along with Cool Water and it is true to a good extent. Regardless, if this weren't so popular and if there wern't so many "copies" of it, or better yet, had a French name to it, it would be no doubt be very highly regarded here. The benchmark for all aquatics to be compared to. Not very masculine at all and is VERY recognizable.

22 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th June, 2009)

msleslie's avatar

Le Dix by Balenciaga

I really love the parfum version of this wonderful, heady scent. The edt is not enough like it to matter, unfortunately. I would fall for an almost impossible to find product! It is somewhat like Chanel #5 which I used to love, but with more personality, depth and interest.

22 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Neroli by Czech & Speake

I dislike this one with an intensity that surprises even me. Like No.88, it strangely reminds me of a visit to a Chinese temple- smelling of the wilting flowers and fruits at the altar (in this case, stale orange). The drydown is quite nice but the ride before that has been totally unpleasant for me. A scrubber I'm afraid and I really want to like this.

pinkmimosa's avatar

Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Lychees, Roses, Red Hots. In that order. WOW!!! I took a risk, and bought it smell-unsmelt due to the name (it's my sweethearts slightly sarcastic nickname for me). I was afraid of smelling powder, but there is none. I want to buy ten cases. Sadly, this beauty is quite short lived. I have to use it on a hot part of the body rather than the wrist, and now put it under my long hair on the nape of my neck. I've found I can get several hours out of it if it's a hot day.

Sunnyfunny's avatar

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

Let me first say that I had an experience with this one today-- I smelled something unfamiliar and terribly lovely, only to happily realize, "Oh, that's me!" In the crook of my elbow, it has lasted a generous amount of time. I feel I could wear this anywhere this summer.

Un Jardin Apres La Mousson evokes just that-- a lush, wet garden. But it does so in the lightest, most transparent of manners! It opens smoothly aquatic, then delivers a peppery burst, settling down into a fresh, but never sharp, green with a soft, cool melon note dancing in the background. The pepperiness lingers, somehow cooling the fragrance, as if providing a reminder that there are still clouds overhead that could once again open up and drench the green at any time.

Dany1985's avatar

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

Yet another boring green synthetic perfume that fails to impress. Gave me a headache in the end.....