Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

sfmedusa's avatar

Cabochard by Grès

Fabulous fabulous fabulous!

I've just embarked on my scented journey and found Cabochard after reading some random reviews here on BN and decided to give it a whirl. I'm SO glad that I have.

On me this smells like a female version of Obsession for men (but not like Obsession for women) which will mean that I don't have to nick my boyfriend's bottle any more!

kittyvanhalen's avatar

Tuscan Blood Orange by Pacifica

This smells like Fruit Loops. I prefer more "grown-up" fragrances (or, as some of my friends would say, "old lady perfume"), but for whatever reason I really love this. I don't have many days where I yearn to smell like kids' cereal, admittedly, but when I do, this works.

kittyvanhalen's avatar

Waikiki Pikake by Pacifica

I loved this as a candle scent, and stupidly thought it would be equally great as a fragrance for myself. I was really wrong. What's beautiful, clean, and tropical (not in the Hawaiian Tropic lotion way, but in a what-an-island-actually-smells-like way) as a candle is strangely mothball-esque as a perfume. I still love the candles, so maybe I'll just use this as a room spray. Not bad, but not a legitimate perfume, either.

MJW77's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

I have to give this fragrance another thumbs up. I tried Gucci Envy (due to the basenotes recommendations) on one wrist and Amber Pour Homme on the other and this fragrance won the battle hands down. It was so much cleaner, fresher and sweeter and was so much the better smell on me. Yes, I do get the slightly soapy barbershop smell that so many have touched upon, but that is what makes this fragrance, and is what I like about it. Great for daywear or the office. I would definitely recommend it!

loulily's avatar

Clean Perfume by Clean

A gross mix of lemon pledge and windex. If you wear this, people will think you have been cleaning the house. It also smells like a moderately well maintained public bathroom. By far the worst perfume I have ever smelled.

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Neroli by Czech & Speake

Damn! I must be getting better at this. After three day's wear I sat down to write this review, and I see that all of I wanted to say has been said before! By BN members whom I hold in high esteem, no less.

Yes, the adjectives clear, pure, simple, sharp and light are true, and yet the fragrance does have depth and substance; this is one serious neroli for such an uplifting and cheerful scent. Perhaps that's also how the masculine feel is achieved?
    Then I had the brilliant thought that this should wear better in Spring, Fall or Winter, rather than the ususal citrus recommendation for high temperatures in Summer. Oops. Already stated!
    C&S may be one of the most underrated houses around.

iMaverick's avatar

Joy by Jean Patou

Joy was this scent of mystery back in my childhood days. I didn't know what it smelled like because the SA would not let me smell it because it was "the costliest" perfume in the world, exclusive in a snobbish sort of way. I guess it would've been an expensive thing to do to have a kid obviously without money to test it. I was lucky to smell it when I asked my mother to test it. I was bowled over--I loved the smell of it, so opulent, sophisticated, and glamorous. I was even more bowled over at finding out how much a bottle of EdT costed, not to mention the cost of the parfum, and the 10,000 bulgarian roses needed to make an ounce of Joy.

In modern days, I couldn't help but mourn at Joy's state of existence lately. It's still a high-end department store scent, but not as exclusive anymore. Its price point has been lowered, I suspect that synthetics have now been introduced to the Eau, compliments of Proctor & Gamble, the new owner of Parfums Patou.

Smelling this new "Joy" smells somewhat watered down and barely there, definitely devoid of its glamor that transports you back into the 30s and 40s. I vowed to find vintage bottles.

YES! eBay had them, and **SOB!!** I cried for Joy's dignity. It seemed the era of Joy wearers have disappeared and I found a sealed 1/2 ounce bottle (ca. 1050's?) of the parfum for under $60 and a vintage EdP for under $40. This was the REAL stuff!

These dark amber vintage items were so beautiful smelling them, they smelled real, and the florals were lush. The smell of roses and jasmine made full with the help of tuberose and a verrry verrrry animalic base.

I don't smell sandalwood, unless it is the green note that I smell, but aside from that, the base almost contradicts Joy's floral beauty. It is also so sexy and skanky in such a good way! I'm definitely smelling real musk and real civet that no modern and everyday woman would even go near in this synthetic fruity-floral cum (excuse the pun) Britney Spears era.

Smelling the earlier incarnation of Joy, a scent from another era of opulence and worth, brings me to an understanding myself--I have a profound respect for other eras where everything has a different meaning and convention. It really humbles me to own and smell such a thing of beauty of days gone by.

Jon_Remy's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Smell of lilac? Similar to Lilac Vegetal by Pinaud? I love it! Grey Flannel is a classic that should be in every man's wardrobe!

elm0505's avatar

Spain Spain

Hémisphère Sud by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I got a sample of this through a lovely eBay seller and I was very excited to try it.

My first impression isn't very good though, I was expecting something warm and mysterious but instead I only came across a bidimensional, flat and boring fragrance.

It's a 100% spicy-oriental scent , you can definitely feel pepper as a strong top note, then no middle notes at all -so no floral notes IMO. After this first phase it goes straight to ambery base notes. I can't smell any vanilla, either. I find it slightly similar to Gaultier 2.

Although I don't find it's anything special, it could be a nice fragrance, were it not for the fact that it's too "bland" and simple. It's so weak you won't even have the impression of wearing perfume, but rather a body spray. It's staying power is hence quite mediocre.

My rating: 2/5, I was expecting more from CSP.

Mr.Opoponax's avatar

Spain Spain

Chloé (new) by Chloé

I really like this one for ladys.. Is an intense scent but won´t be a sickness!! Floral with a pinch of talcuum remind..

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Eternity Summer for Men 2009 by Calvin Klein

I like this 2009 summer version better than any previous year. Like the others, it is hardly related to the original, however, this version is closer to the original. It still has a Polo Blue vibe to it, however less melon/rotten fruits accord and more greens, producing a very well grounded, maybe mature? summer fragrance. It projects well in the sunshine, and the drydown is quite close to the skin...something to share with your 'summer catch'. Worth the purchase in my book.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Cool Water Cool Summer by Davidoff

Yet another addition to the shamelessly overdone Cool Water line of flankers. This one comes across very dull, almost like an expired Cool Water...no bright freshness, just a drier, less fruity variation. And much like the other flankers, it is good for a quick spritz in the summer so you don't smell bad, but other than that, nothing spectacular and hardly worth a full size bottle. Gimmick has never been so blatant. One day I will collect them all and report.

scentsitivity's avatar

Acqua Viva by Profumum

The brightest, juiciest lemon fragrance that I know. Nothing sweet, just lemon, supported by woods, primarily cedar, in the background. Fairly long lasting, but stays close to the skin. I perceive just a touch of dirtiness as well. While I think this is a super fragrance, it is not one I will buy for myself. It is too pricey in my opinion and I think I like a touch of sweet with my lemon as well. But if you are a serious lemon lover, you owe it to yourself to try Acqua Viva.

One additional comment: after writing this review, I tried Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien. To me, these are very different, particularly in the lemon note. Simply put, Acqua Viva is much brighter.
    (Original review: 23 April 09).

23 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 August, 2009)

distortech's avatar

Armani Privé Cuir Améthyste by Giorgio Armani

I had this as a sample that I got back in Milan at a fashion show a few years ago. I remembered it being very unique and rather well made floral chypre/oriental that lasted forever. I seriously considered buying it several times, but, I was not willing to dish out the cash for it at the time. Now, jump forward a few years and across the pond. A friendly fellow Basenoter had it for sale for nearly nothing (comparatively speaking) and I snapped it up as soon as I noticed it. I don't regret it!! I am absolutely loving it. To my nose, it is very similar to Givenchy's Amarige Mariage (minus the Jasmine) and Dolce Vita by Dior (both of which I consider Unisex as well). However, CA possesses a deeper and darker patchouli note that is tons more distinct than either of the others, Furthermore, the cinnamon note present in the other two is replaced by a lovely birch note (which I think gives it more of a leather like effect, but nothing extreme). The rose in this one really stands out - very, VERY well done throughout the dry down.

5 stars.

distortech's avatar

Joop! Go Electric Heat by Joop!

Simple, awesome, and a very nice utilization of saffron mixed with a sweet and vibrant citrus candy like accord. I'll be sporting this alot, indeed. Nicely done.

Lalique pour Homme Equus by Lalique

I love this fragrance.. absolutely adore it, in fact, and feel it is a gentleman's classic. Fabric (my shirt collars) hold it very nicely, though it disappears on my skin and doesn't have any projection whatsoever - even with many sprays (5-7).

When I got the EDP version I thought it would surely have some potency to it. Not at all... in fact I can't tell the difference, as other reviewers have mentioned.

If it wasn't so fleeting and projected it would easily be a thumb's up. Unfortunately it's a neutral rating for me because I feel the EDP failed in terms of offering even a slight improvement in longevity and silage.

Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi

I haven't tried all of the vetiver fragrances out there yet.. but I've been wearing LV Vetiver for over a year now and there are days I wake up and actually crave it.

To me it's raw, totally masculine, and "fresh" without being sweet or aquatic, or too dirty and earthy. A gem.

Fougères Marines by Montale

A little too fruity and not aquatic enough for me.. certainly nothing like Erolfa.. and NOTHING like Millesime Imperial or GIT. Bvlgari Aqva is another worth mentioning when it comes to marine/aquatics.

I didn't enjoy wearing it - it didn't develop on my skin and I had the feeling it was a bit too feminine for my tastes. Fruit punch maybe?

A nice fragrance, just not my bag.

joxer96's avatar

Encre Noire by Lalique

Vetiver at the start, vetiver at the end. I really can't add much to what's already been written, this is vetiver heaven...if you love vetiver. There are some very short lived top notes at the beginning, but they quickly make way for the complex vetiver note that will accompany the wearer for the next eight hours or so. Highly recommended! Did I mention you must love vetiver?

jathanas's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Habit Rouge EDC

As recently as a few weeks back I had a view of Habit Rouge as a dated classic that I couldn't love. My appreciation for it was purely clinical and based on its well crafted citrus-vanilla-leather implementation.

Today I experienced a Habit Rouge epiphany. I was able to wholly appreciate the sweet citrucy opening and lose myself in its magic. Once it settled, the powdery vanilla accord asserted but it never became cloying; and for the first time I thought that I should wear this sophisticated fragrance more frequently.

I now count myself among the many admirers of this scent!

silverbullet's avatar

Armani Privé Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani

I don't give thumbs down. This frag smells like the Dallas Cowboy's locker room after Superbowl XXVII in 1993.

Chic by Carolina Herrera

Goddamn. I liked this when I tested it at the fragrance counter. I took a sample home and now it just rotten. Smells like a shoe a day after you polished it.... that lingering shoe polish odor (like Kiwi brand) in combination with the faux leather of the shoe. Synthetic, cheap and smack of harsh herbs and florals.

Vetyver by Carlo Corinto

Soapy, and somewhat barbershop creamy vetiver. However, I can not get past the mothballs accord that puffs up once in a while. Grandama's backyard closet is not what I want to smell like. Good vetiver accord otherwise. I'd compare it to Escada pour Homme with more vetiver.

Samouraï 47 by Alain Delon

Doesn't last long and feels watered down. What I got was a boisterous opening of sweet woods and fruity notes but just dies after 2 hours. Still trying to figure out what 47 means in relation to the movie it's named after. I didn't get a bad sample either since I got it direct from the company.

Kaern's avatar

Matin Calin Sugar Milk / Lait Sucré by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I think the tester must have been off -- it smelt like baby's sick. The sales assistant called me over as he had smelt earlier and wanted me to confirm that it was the worst smell ever and I almost gagged -- rotten milk mixed with toffee -- this wasn't auto suggestive, it was baaaad. If it wasn't off, I don't want to be near anyone who is wearing this. Makes Secretions Magnifique seem like a bouquet of flowers in comparison.

Aznavour's avatar

Cabotine by Grès

Opens up generic-floral-perfumey, then has a nice, brief (and faint) jasmine moment before turning into something that quite frankly smells like vomit. Overrated as a green.

23 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 July, 2009)

funnyboy's avatar

Noir by S.T. Dupont

This is my first S.T Dupont fragrance.Bought it because I loved the bottle.Wore it for the first time last night for a farewell party.Could still smell it 6hrs after application.Many good comments from other people.
    I found it very unusual ,definately masculine couldnt smell the lavender too much but got the woods and creaminess.Changed on my skin after the first 10 minutes.Think it was amazing value for the longevity without being overpowering.A lot of fragrances just disappear on my drieish skin.Hate to say this but reminded me of a stronger version of Fire and Ice for men by Revlon which is a U.S drugstore cheapie but I love that also!! Would buy this again.

brrrry's avatar

Artisan by John Varvatos

Anybody else test this one yet? I shot one good spray to my forearm while purchasing Brooklyn this past weekend. I have to say I was presently surprised. I say this because of my disapppointment with Vintage. The original is pretty damn good, but to me Vintage is generic and uninspired. Artisan opens with an enormous blast of citrus. After reading the pyramid it all makes sense now. I couldn't tell you what Sicilian clemenine or essence of orange jasmune tree smell like. But what I will tell you is that Artisan is very, very orange. For those of you who have smelled Little Italy by Bond No 9, you will know what I mean. To me Artisan stays pretty much linear throughout the duration. It eventually settles in and you do get at bit of musk at the end. But, please don't be fooled by the citrus notes as this does differ from most citrus frags. For one it seems to have great longevity and it also projects pretty nicely (slightly overpowering the new Issey Miyake Summer that I sprayed on my wrist of the same arm). It ends up being quite a nice scent that for some reason you have to keep sniffing. I was thinking of buying a bottle but it's too new to find a good deal on it, so maybe I'll wait a bit.

megannsmom's avatar

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

It was LOVE at first sniff for me! I love the sweetness with a hint of shadow. I have tried to come up with a better description, but all I can think is "yummy delicious rich warm spooky so glad I have a big bottle!"

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Frankincense & Myrrh by Czech & Speake

For the longest time, I've resisted wearing this scent. The name of this frag just turns me off. But what a lovely surprise when I actually spritzed it on me. I don't much care for the lavender opening but the drydown on my skin is just superb. Dark, brooding and absolutely unusual. This and Cuba are two favorite of Czech & Speake.