Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

Corrado Finardi's avatar

English Lavender by Atkinsons

Very High Quality lavender indeed! I've friends working for Atkinsons, and be sure they source the best lavender crop from Provence and England. The row materials guarantee e very deep and longlasting perfume, whit a classy touch and fundamentally relaxing. It's such a cup of tea: alertness and relax, and a very positive mood booster!!! higher reccomended, and very affordable furthermore.

Avatar by Coty

No reason for the bad reviews, this stuff smells great and yes the ladies do love it! My only complaint is it doesnt last long but not really an issue because its so cheap you can get it for $10 a bottle.

Nobile by Gucci

i found this in an abandoned shopping cart come to find out its worth like 150$ lol. I dont really care for it but every time I wear it people are all over me I almost think men are attracted to this scent more than women which isnt that great for me

Bora Bora for Men by Liz Claiborne

Very fresh somewhat soapy scent, great lasting power. I wear it when I know Im going to be active and I feel this is when it truly turns into a unique manly scent on my skin that the ladies love

Usher for Men by Usher

Not that bad, smells like whatever until it sets in then it really turns into something great you wont notice it on yourself at that point but others will and Ive received numerous compliments in the short time ive owned it. I bought it because I was following a guy wearing the stuff and I couldnt get over what it was so I actually went up and asked him lol surprised to find out it was Usher.

Notre Flore Cedre by L'Occitane

I love it! such a clean masculine cedar scent, its a parfum with great lasting power, the women love it EVERY time I've worn it on a date Ive received compliments which is why I'm writing this review. Definitely a 9 out of 10 and great price

Echo777's avatar

Bel Ami by Hermès

Starts out really fresh, lemony and citrusy, (ala YSL Pour Homme or Versace L'Homme) then settles into a spicy leather (ala a classier Halston Z-14). The ride includes florals (ala Givenchy Insense) and yet it's all men's territory, while retaining a sensitive and floral aura. This powerhouse is rich and sweet...a good comforting scent in cool autumn days. Also a good starter leather scent for newbies...Way smooth and classy.

Le Baiser by Lalique

Sweet, cheap, nasty and flat as a fart. This wouldn't even be acceptable as a room fragrance, as it actually stinks.

Sa Majesté la Rose by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A drop dead gorgeous soapy lemony rose of fuschia and red, young, pretty and sexy. The Lolita of roses.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

A beautifully constructed fragrance but less so than the original and also lacks its luxurious feel. It is an elegant woody floral of decent quality but is somewhat non descript and lacking in originality. You could do alot worse.

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Libertine by Vivienne Westwood

Gentle and soft without being sweet, Libertine feels like a spring day.

It's not what I'd usually buy, but I think this is a great daytime scent. Perfect for office wear, it's gentle and inoffensive and stays close enough to the skin not to interfere with colleagues.

Arôme 3 by D'Orsay

I think this scent is all about sharpness masquerading as "freshness". It opens with a rather harsh spice note, maybe the clove, and soapy/powdery aldehydes adding to the harshness - I get lots of aldehydes although they aren't listed - on a nondescript, stale base. I can't really make out any other notes and the whole concoction seems very fleeting, unless I quickly grow anosmic to it, which to be honest is a relief. I love lots of old perfumes but this one, to me, feels "dated" in the wrong way.

Knize Sec by Knize

To me, Sec smells kind of like a soap scented with Yatagan: the dry, aromatic herbs of über-macho colognes like Yatagan matched with an equal amount of aldehydic soapiness. There's something a little "muted", "dull", "flat" or even "plasticky" about that soapy accord in the beginning, but it mellows and mingles more with the herbs as it develops. I can't quite decide what I think of Sec, it's kind of pleasant, kind of unpleasant, not very earth-shattering...

Hierbas de Ibiza by Hierbas de Ibiza

The problem with a lot of citrus colognes, imho, is that they smell like orange blossoms rather than actual citrus fruits. Hierbas de Ibiza is a prime example: I get almost nothing out of it apart from the powdery, sticky sweetness of orange blossom. Well, maybe about two seconds of refreshing lemon juice in the very topnote. My girlfriend thought it smelled like "hotel soap", and I can't get rid of the association with hotel cleaning products. Not bad if you like orange blossom, I guess, but I really don't.

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

Love fresh ones so I got interested into this one and disapointed.
    Almost promising opneing very modern and herbal it turns into something very sinthetic and metalic with a blast full of borring borring borring
    There is something woodsey and musky in the drydown but ... really nothing spectacular.

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

Normally I don't like this kind of fragrance at all because the fresh ones are more of my kind,
    but this one is what a man with a serious colone wants to smell like.
    Kind of heavy and again very very smooth and pushy like its saying here I am without saying anything
    you just eventually notice ... and therefore it is very manly and most of all selfconfident.
    On the other hand you cant wear it on legere clothes or well maybe in winter .
    Def. my next one !!!

Armani Code Summer by Giorgio Armani

Starts of very citrusy and kind of sweet but bearable and very fresh.
    So you might say it's okay for younger guys nit teenagers but let's say around 25 to 30.
    BUT then it drys down to something fruity but not sweet at all and still very fresh and discreet,
    almost soapy but just almost ... so what remains is sophisticated.

germanomio's avatar

Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès

a very good rendition of grapefruit
    you can get all the notes you smell while cutting a grapefruit: first the zest then the juice

the drydown is very Ellena's style

I recently tried Terre d'Hermes and suddently I understood what was Eau de Pamplemousse rose: it is the cologne variation of TDH , a strong grapefruit in the head with the same woody/mineral drydown in a lighter way
    I guess this one was not too difficult to conceive ...

24 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2009)

germanomio's avatar

Eau de Gentiane Blanche by Hermès

contrary to what memechose wrote, gentiane has already been used in perfumery; an example is Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Gentiana

but back to Hermes cologne: the opening is bitter and rooty, slighty earthy (I guess it's the gentiane note) with no citrus (as one could expect from a cologne) and it smells a little bit like a wet old paper ; this head note remains for a while then appears a woody note slightly green and rather fresh that reminds me of Bois d'Ombrie (is it olive tree?)

quite unusual; longevity seems rather long for a cologne concentration

Brielle87's avatar

Soir de Paris / Evening in Paris (new) by Bourjois

The fragrance now being sold as Soir de Paris, has nothing in common with the classic it once was. This one is harsh, sharp, not well rounded, smells almost chemically at times. If there is a natural substance in this scent, they have done a magnificent job obscuring it under all the synthetics.
    It is worth seeking out the original formula, it is the complete opposite of this mess. It is rich, warm, floral; sweet yet not cloying, elegant but not too over the top. A real treat to experience.

1881 pour Femme by Cerruti

I can pick out the rose and musk most of all, possibly because I am most familiar with them. 1881 is very fresh and clean but with a "lightly scented laundry detergent" feel to it. Not that that notion is bad, mind you. Everyone loves to have fresh, clean sheets right out of the dryer. Instead of your skin, wear it on your clothes and1881 Femme will bolster your clean laundry into a vibrant freshness for the whole day.

Chloé (original) by Chloé

Playful mix of everything floral but it doesn't get too much. Bright and vibrant, Chloe makes for a youthful scent. Dominant florals are a fresh ylang-ylang, a dullish jasmine and standard rose. That all sounds boring but the mix is well made.

Ysatis by Givenchy

Takes a little getting used to, but it makes for a great, luxurious perfume. A sophisticated fruity oriental with musky and woody tones. Brilliant to wear back in the 80's, still brilliant to wear now.

Jil Sander Style by Jil Sander

A well put together floral woody fragrance. More woods than florals. The lighter white florals mix with the heavier florals to make for a soft, elegant floral accord. Even though there's no woods listed in the pyramid, it come across as a sweet floral woody fragrance. Lasts long, too. Would work for an office setting if it wasn't so strong. Guys, if you liked Dior Homme, you might like this.

Burberry the Beat by Burberry

Not only does this have a "soapy" top, but it's a plasticky soapy top note. Fades into a wet woods and non-abrasive florals coupled with a crisp fruity note I can't identify. Maybe that's it, this is a fruity iris and tea scent? The tea note feels vibrant instead of dulled like the Bulgari tea house note. Rather ho-hum in some aspects but would be good for a young gal in an office, I suppose. I can't tell if the model on the sample card is a girl or a really-good-at-hiding-their-gender drag queen.

Dunhill Black by Dunhill

I was excited for this release and was hoping it was "better" than Dunhill London (which was OK but probably the most horrible longevity of anything I've ever tried). When Black was released, being in the US, it took me a lot of searching to get a sample. Eventually I got a few official vials from a kind Basenoter who went to Harrods. Black was an exclusive there. A week after I got these samples I saw Black in a discount shop... already!

So I was geared for a disappointment. How did Dunhill's newest stuff "fall off the truck" so quickly?

I quite like it. It's yet another fresh masculine so be prepared for that. It's good in its own merits where this green nettle accord is very aquatic, green and herbal with a small white floral heart note. Black, the word, suggests dark and mysterious, or even something dirty. Dunhill Black is neither. It's rather quite upfront about what it is and being fresh it's clean and polished.

Better than Dunhill London. Not surprising that Dunhill coughed Black out so quickly after London's release.

Very casual and youthful. It's a reluctant thumbs up. It's quite nice but nothing groundbreaking.

Brooklyn by Bond No. 9

I liek the word "griity" here. It really described the scent. I think it's due to the geranium leaves plus some leather. I like the woody notes here. Makes it feel dry and gritty as well. But overall, I'm not for this scent. Unique, yes but I can't shake the feeling that it's familiar. I likened it to ck One when I first tried it but I knew that was wrong. Then I thought it was similar to Banana Republic Classic but that was brinier. The concept is the same: make a truly unisex scent with just enough edge to it to make people think it leans a tad feminine or masculine. Well it worked and it feels like it leans to the feminine side. Like a bad girl scent. Unisex frags usually share a few things in common like citrus and wood notes. I've worn this several times and cannot comes to llove it. It just feels all wrong on me.

strifeknot's avatar

Black Aoud by Montale

It smells like disinfectant. Sometimes disinfectant actually smells good. But not here. The purported rose note is more like isopropyl alcohol.

Kaern's avatar

L'Anarchiste by Caron

I have always liked this, but don't really want a bucket of it -- have only ever seen that huge almost organic copper bottle. It's a good name for the scent beacuse even though the notes seem innocuous enough, they all get in a ring and have a battle, especially the fruit, woods and vetiver. The orange blossom is a lovely rendition (not all are) --- oh enough -- the overall feeling is hard to explain, you just have to try it like all good empiricists.

Tony T's avatar

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

still starts off with that l'instant opening and ends with minor sillage. a good silly boyish fragrance. not to be taken serious but sorta like the class clown.