Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

still starts off with that l'instant opening and ends with minor sillage. a good silly boyish fragrance. not to be taken serious but sorta like the class clown.

Larwiz's avatar
    Larwiz

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

This is now my third Burberry fragrance. I started with Brit, then to burberry for men, and now this. I love all three. This one is probably the least formal though, but perhaps the freshest. It does have some pepper to it, but only to nicely balance out the other notes. It's quite pleasant. To me it has a vanilla, warm orange, and pepper scent to it. It's very fresh...very nice. Kinda reminds me of Gucci Pour Homme 2. They're both warm yet spicey...

msleslie's avatar
    msleslie

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Datura Noir brings to mind an old-fashioned apothecary and sweet shop with all the sugary, bitter and mysterious scents mixing together in the air intriguingly.

It is very appealing to remember long-gone old shops but for me it does not work as a wearable fragrance. It will go into my perfume museum, though, as worth experiencing every now and again.

Theasylph's avatar
    Theasylph

Manoumalia by LesNez

I enjoy this. It is a comforting, lush -almost buttery scent and I am always noticing a different side of it on my skin. White flowers sometimes reminding me of clean bathrooms and old ladies. Always on the fence between funk and beauty. This blend is more beauty than funk .

Bo Darville's avatar
    Bo Darville

Legno di Nave / Seawood by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

This is a fantastic and complex ambergris-centric fragrance. Of course, I'm biased. If a perfumer does even a remotely competent job with the note, I'm hooked. Such is the case and more with Legno di Nave ("Ship Wood"). I have to admit, though, that the powerful, spicy, clove-dominated scent (actually kinda "Kouros"-y) from the sample vial was enough to make me test a slew of others before I finally succumbed to curiosity, and I'm glad I did.

As I said, the top notes were (to my nose, at least) dominated by clove, although I could make out the ambergris (which is substantial throughout the development) and a slight vetiver. On my skin, the clove slightly recedes in less than an hour or so; at this point, the fragrance is immensely more enjoyable. The spices here are not overdone, not too clove-y. The cinammon becomes a little more recognizable, and a deep, dark resinous wood scent (almost sap-like - more on that later) emerges. And, of course, ever-present and interconnecting is the ambergris, which is very well-represented here. This is the scent's best stage.

As if this is not enough, the aforementioned resinous note develops in a such a way that it dominates and screams loudly at hour 5 or so (yes, that late in the game). It was at about this time that I began to question my own opinion of this great beast! Gladly, after a little while, the resinous note tired of its screaming, and what I was left with for the next 4 hours (and counting!) was a softer (though still pronounced) spicy ambergris scent with an almost balsamic twang.

I consider this to be very closely related to CSP's Eau Grise, a scent that I treasure above almost all others, even though I do not own it and sadly cannot find it due to its having been discontinued. Although I like Eau Grise a little better - mainly because it omits the spice and tree sap notes that can make this a little overbearing, but only at times - I could definitely see myself using this instead.

I strongly recommend this fragrance.

lilly m.'s avatar
    lilly m.

Présence d'Une Femme by Mont Blanc

Interesting scent but on my skin it just transformed into caramel and vanilla.

LucidJeff's avatar
    LucidJeff
    Switzerland Switzerland

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Smells fantastic! however it didn't last more than an hour on my skin. Due to the lack of longevity, price, and commonness of fresh scents like this, I give it a neutral.

No. 5 by Chanel

Chanel No. 5 is beautiful, classy, feminine, and sophisticated. It's one of the few fragrances that never feels vulgar. It's never overpowering, out of place, or distracting. On the other hand, you have its age and its popularity with all ages of women. Most men have an aunt, a mother, a grandmother who smelled like this in their youth. No matter how great this perfume smells on you, if you remind him of his mother, the relationship is a no-go. Fortunately my husband didn't have any relatives who wore No. 5 and it's one of his favorites. He can't keep his hands off me when I wear this. I suppose that's the point, but it probably wouldn't be my first choice. It's a little too safe. As I said before, there's nothing wrong with No. 5, but it doesn't excite me. The scent brings to mind a proper socialite wearing the classic Chanel suit with her heirloom pearls. Very classic. Very safe. It's up to you to decide if that's a good thing.

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

In college, my friends used the term "dirty hot" to refer to the hot bad boy (or bad girl) you'd love to have a fling with but would never take home to mama. Coco Mademoiselle is the dirty hot of the fragrance world. It exudes such raw sexuality that it could never be classy. While Chanel No. 5 reminds me of ladies wearing tweed and pearls, Coco Mademoiselle is it's exact opposite. I'm addicted to this, but have decided that it's far too suggestive for my image as a suburban housewife. I may wear this for a weekend getaway, but far too sexy for everyday.

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

Pleasures is a beautiful fragrance. It's polite and sweet. It evokes the image of the girl next door type, always smiling and wearing sundresses. She never curses or says a negative thing about anyone. It's perfect for the type of girl who likes to play it safe. I don't know any man, of any age, who doesn't like this fragrance. But its safeness and its beauty may be its downfall. So many girls have worn this perfume that it's losing some of it's luster. Yes, you smell great wearing this, but you smell just like every other teen and twenty-something. If you consider yourself to be adventurous, individual, or unique: steer clear of this one. If you're happy to be a follower rather than a leader, pleasures is a wonderful choice. You may fade into the background, but at least you'll smell really good doing it.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Cool Water really is a nice scent. I sprayed on some of my husband's before sitting down to write this. It really does evoke the image of being at the lake house, wading into the cool lake in the morning on an early summer day when the sun hasn't had a chance to warm either the water or the air. The only problem with Cool Water is it's overwhelming popularity in the mid-nineties. All the boys at my high school wore this, including unfortunately my first boyfriend, who broke my heart a few short weeks later. When I met my husband a few years it was his scent as well. He smells great in it, but I'd prefer for him to have a scent that is uniquely his. One that would evoke memories of only him. I'd rather smell this occasionally on a passing stranger and have some nostalgic memories float back. In my mind, it will never be my husband's scent. It belongs to that boy who dumped me back at 15. If you love this, go ahead and buy a bottle. Just know that you're probably reviving memories of one who came before.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Polo Blue does nothing amazing but it has a simple honesty that is refreshing. It makes you smell like you're freshly showered. That's really the only way to explain it because it smells like soap and shaving cream. I happen to like the freshly showered scent. I bought this for my husband, but I find myself wearing it a lot too. I get compliments from both men and women. It's nothing I (or my husband) would wear to a black tie event, a nightclub, or even a dinner party, but it's the perfect fragrance for going to the gym or to the park with the kids on a hot day. I'm sure perfume enthusiasts and elites would scoff at this one, but I like the smell of soap and this fragrance suits me just fine.

Boster's avatar
    Boster

Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Didn't like this at all on myself. A heavy sweet carmely or brown sugar base is always lurking. I agree with the flour some have mentioned.The sandalwood is just clinging and monodimensional. It is hard to get out of your nose. If it could only be sampled in very brief doses as it is worn it could be a very intimate and exciting smell on a woman, exotic and musky. Her companion certainly wouldn't forget it. All the associations of that evening would surely come rushing back if smelled again; hopefully heated ones, because it is the farthest thing from a light or cool fragrance that may be suggested by the name.

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

I remember getting this as a gift in 1998. I must have used up the bottle, since I do not remember re-gifting or throwing it away half empty. But honestly I do not even recall how it smelled. I think that is exactly how the scent felt to me. Very forgettable. If I am pressed to describe it, I would say it was sweet, but pretty light, and absolutely nothing memorable about it.

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

My reaction to this perfume was... "are you sure this is a woman's perfume???" There was nothing feminine about it. Yet, it didn't feel "unisex," either. I actually like some unisex fragrances - there are some that feel quite refreshing. This one was... strong in a "yuck" way.

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

I tend to confuse this one with Youth Dew, neither of which I like. I found both to be strong and repulsive. Youth Dew, even more so than Cinnabar, but Cinnabar not much better. I see someone compared this to Opium. I didn't like that one, either, but found it to be at least more unique than the other two.

Spellbound by Estée Lauder

The first time I encountered spellbound was in 1994. I was given a small sample and I really liked the smell. Sensual. Unique. When I wore it to class, a stranger asked me what I was wearing. How can I forget. Only two perfumes ever drew random compliments in my life. (The other one was Tresor, which, regardless of the compliments it drew, was too sweet for my taste.)
    Based on that pleasant memory of the random compliments and how I had liked the scent, I gambled on purchasing a big bottle. But this time, something is just not right. I like the scent when I first spray it on (and I do make sure I use a light touch and spray only once), but as hours pass on, the scent changes on me, so something... awful. Like... it just blocks my nasal passage. A blocking scent. I don't know how else to describe it. And that awful scent lasts so long, too. All through the day - even after a shower. Could it be that my chemistry changed in the past 15 years? Should I just give up on this scent, put it aside for now, and hope that my chemistry will change with time again? Ahhhhhh. Don't know what to do. The 3.4 oz bottle is sitting on my desk staring at me.

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

When I wore it, it drew random compliments, but regardless, it was too sweet for my taste. Othes might love it on me, but somehow, I just don't love it on me. Nothing unique or memorable about it. A type of fragrance I'd sometimes use if I got it as a gift, but wouldn't buy for myself.

Boster's avatar
    Boster

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

Coming off a wonderful high of a week spent on the Maya Riviera, I bought a bottle of Marine on quick decision between a paper test strip sampling of it and regular AQVA. I think the refreshing topnote of some strange melon sold me, plus the very cool bottle. First mistake. Second mistake, reading too much into these Basenotes and Chandler Burr's review.
    In general I haven't liked water accords so what was I thinking? The first day back I hated the stuff as I thought it smelled very synthetic in the heart, and weirdly dry and musky in the base. But I've grown to like this juice. People have said it is synthetic, one dimensional, weak, and not complex. I disagree; it is a good ride. IMO: First, it is a hot weather frag only. The initial blast and for an hour after is complex melon sweetness, but always with this dry iodiney undertone like kelp coming up from under the tide in Maine. The next couple hours it turns to sweet wet flint. The final hours are a challenging dry warm musk, almost animalic, but staying very close to the skin. There have been some suggestions that the ladies tend to like it; I also suspect that is true. One funny thing: smells similar at first to my son's RedZone body wash. Go figure. Anyway, given that I don't always want to be wearing a complicated olfactory challenge, Marine is a pleasant warm weather wear with just enough going on to keep it interesting. It can remind you of the ocean, but it doesn't have too. Worth a neutral, at least.
    CHANGED MY MIND.
    I just threw this away since no amount of me trying to convince myself to like it was ever going to work. The killer is that drydown; what the hell is it supposed to be? Rotted seaweed baking on a rock at the beach. Jeez, I'm joining the crowd and thumbs-downing this one.

24 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 January, 2011)

Vraie Blonde by Etat Libre d'Orange

I have had different responses from the opening of Vraie Blonde in the several times I tested it. Twice with the opening I received a blast of something sharply synthetic and a little medicinal, which hung around for about fifteen minutes. But most of the time it opens with the pleasant smell of something akin to a skin lotion or shampoo in a version that I enjoy because it’s not exactly a generic shampoo smell – more like a high quality scented personal grooming product product. The opening is a relief to me because I was expecting to hate this because of my general dislike of leather fragrances. I don’t get any of those disagreeable notes that I get from most leather scents. The leather in this is a suede-like one that actually smells good to me. I usually like aldehydes in a fragrance and this one is not an exception: The aldehydes are quite enjoyable, and add depth and breadth. The "shampoo" note gradually transforms itself into a very nice fruity / rose note that manages to be almost unisex, but then all too soon Vraie Blonde dries down to what smells to me like white musk – light and pleasant but very much like every other white musk dry down I’ve experienced.

Nowhere in the fragrance do I get the alcohol notes that some others do, and I’m missing out on all of those abusive smells that several other reviewers talk about. This is a pleasant but rather ordinary and uninspired scent to me, and although I think it is unisex, I would rather smell it on a woman than on myself.

Hugo XX by Hugo Boss

Easily identifiable as a Hugo Boss creation: This one doesn’t even seem to make an attempt to cover up its genericness… XX flaunts its mediocrity with boldness. It opens loud: alcoholy and too, too sweetly, thinly fruity. The basmati rice is a good idea: It provides substance and neutrality, and it performs well in its assigned place. The florals – jasmine and rose are as ordinary as they would be in any drugstore scent. The base is sweet and contemplates “good” but in the end decides not to go in that direction. On the whole this is another ho hum assembly line fragrance. It has good sillage and decent longevity.

parfums*PARFUMS Luxe: Champaca by Comme des Garçons

Floral and rich… The combination of tuberose and the champaca flower is stellar. With the opening, the full and rich tuberose and champaca florals are nimbused by a delicate angelica and pepper, creating an uncommonly special white floral accord. As often happens, I get only a hint of the pepper in the opening. Unfortunately the nature of the angelica is ephemeral and its delicate aura has evaporated too soon, leaving a white floral that is still beautiful but a lesser scent than what it was in the opening. The relative strength of the champaca grows in comparison with the tuberose, so I guess I’m not as much a fan of champaca as I am of tuberose. But the accord is beautifully refined. The white florals are somewhat clean – the indoles are there, but they’ve been pretty much tamed. The base is an understated iris / white musk united with the remaining white florals: very pleasant. In spite of my disappointment at the direction the fragrance traveled since its opening, I must say that this tuberose / champaca fragrance deserves consideration along with the great tuberose scents. More delicate than Fracas (of course) and less indolic than Carnal Flower, LUXE Champaca is pretty much gorgeous and has enough originality in its persona that it just might make it as a tuberose holy grail. I myself consider it an also-ran and I remain true to Fracas both for the attractiveness of Fracas’ accords and for its longevity. But LUXE Champaca does present a different point of view that may very well be strongly appealing to another tuberose lover.

Fougère Bengale by Parfum d'Empire

Coffee? I guess. …Chocolate? Maybe … but mainly I get a potent spicy opening that reminds me of a curry. The spices dominate from the start, and the background holds a rather quiet bitter note – coffee and/or chocolate. The backdrop keeps the curry and the whole accord from getting too out of control. To my nose the spices are conglomerate and I have a difficult time separating out any individual notes: It best for me to defer to Jenson on what the particular notes are. On my part, suffice it to say the fragrance presents a complex accord that has layers of spice and herbal notes. Until the drydown I find it quite linear. Fougère Bengale does not send a lot of sillage off my skin, but as light as the sillage is, the accord is deep, dark, and dry – foreboding, even. After quite a while the spices open up a bit to reveal drydown of tobacco. Unlike several other reviewers, I get no sweet through the entire long run of the fragrance. Ordinarily I enjoy deep, dark, dry fragrances, but this one comes across on my skin as pure, dark spice. If I could smell the patchouli and geranium and / or some of the sweet notes, I would appreciate it more than I do. I agree with Trebor about Fougère Bengale’s similarily to Dior’s Eau Noir, which is a fragrance I can’t tolerate. This one I can tolerate, but it takes a bit of resolve. Fougère Bengal is a complex, interesting fragrance, but it is not for me.

iMaverick's avatar
    iMaverick

Borsalino Panama by Borsalino

Panama seems to be directed towards the older, refined, discerning, reserved, quiet type, much in the way I suspect are the type of clientelle of Borsalino.

Aquatic is the way it is described as the opening of this scent, but to me it is a bitter herbs (coriander in it perhaps?) against citrus--smells of a symbolic Jewish holiday remembering sad days (bitter herbs) with a dash of hope (citrus). As the opening notes calm and fade, floral and very spicy notes emerge with a faint powdery edge to it--ginger, clove and nutmeg on a background of violets. A citrus quality hovers over it, and as it fades, and the spicy aspects mellows, it deepens, with its woody facets emerging at the base. At this point there are so many things happening with this scent--it is a showoff of complexity and execution. Sweeter facets emerge, of rounded, somber woods and resins and a dusty/musty patchouli used in Prada and Angel and a transparent vetiver. There's a bit of a coffee like smell to it too.

It seems a temperature controlled scent. In cooler weather, it seems very much the spicy-green oriental that wears close to the skin. On warmer days, it is high pitched and spicy--almost giving it the impression that it is woody, aquatic, and citrus.

Much going on with this scent, to the point where someone who doesn't study and analyze scents this way might think it just too fussy for them. I'd certainly like to wear this when I have moments where I'd like to stir my senses into a bit of heightened excitement. I wonder if this is what Panama, the city, is all about?

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

Royals Heroes 1805 by Washington Tremlett

I'm not sure what I think of Royals Heroes - it smells quite good but at the same time I find the scent quite oppressive - too cloyingly sweet, too heavy, too "dense"... Perhaps too synthetic too - it has the kind of saccarine sweetness common to many modern massmarket fragrances, a kind of abstracted fruitiness (my girlfriend said "pear"). I think the anise adds to that almost chemical-smelling sweetness as well. I can't really pick out any other notes but I think there's some abstracted wood or amber accord in there, the kind used in generic orientals, that adds to the warm and sweet and "dense" feeling. That might be the tonka, I don't think I'm any fan of tonka. I also get hints of something musky or animalic lurking underneath, which I'd normally like, but paired with all the synthetic sweetness I'm afraid it just adds to the general cloying feeling. Royals Heroes certainly is strong and it doesn't seem to develop much, if at all. I think it's the kind of scent that lasts forever but that you tire of quickly, even though you might initially like the smell. At least, that's the way it is for me.

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

MPH by Washington Tremlett

MPH is an old school gentlemanly fougere - definitely not as bracingly herbal as it may sound from the notes, more smooth like a softer Penhaligon's English Fern. It has the same sweetish anise/licorice/fennel accord that reminds me pleasantly of the smell of actual, living ferns. It's a dry sweetness but definitely a sweetness nonetheless and yes, now that the previous reviewer har mentioned it, there may be a discreet, non-dirty patchouli note adding to that effect. Apart from that I can't really pick out any notes - no citrus, no oakmoss... It's a very mellow and linear scent altogether. Not too bad, but not too good either.

ivan2057's avatar
    ivan2057
    Austria Austria

Wolfgang Joop! by Joop!

In my opinion a classic joop ...
    pleasently sweet as only a joop can be but not too heavy,
    very warm, oriental and slightly fruity.
    Woody and soapy in the dry down, with great longevity

Why neutral then?
    Well it's nice and pleasent but nothing spectacular you'd need to smell more than twice !

Sugandaraja's avatar
    Sugandaraja

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

Almond cookies frosted with coconut-scented sunscreen. Not horrible, but a bland, linear, and very banal gourmand riding on a vanillic tide.

What does this have to do with the original Poison!? That's only thing mysterious about this fragrance

Sugandaraja's avatar
    Sugandaraja

Private Collection by Estée Lauder

The top notes of this are truly fascinating. Dark, green, tart and coolly vegetal, they captivate in a smooth, sophisticated way. It's almost like a refined version of Diptyque's L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, without the bright, sour brackishness that fragrance suffers from.

Sadly, Private Collection's charm is short-lived. In half an hour a tsunami of baby powder engulfs this fragrance, and it becomes flat, powdery and very dull indeed.

Like Trebor, I detect a waxy note which, to my nose, emerges deep into the base. For good or bad, it makes little headway against the powder tide...

AnthonyDG's avatar
    AnthonyDG

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

SMW is a great fragrance.. though it falls under the category of fragrances that I admire but just can't wear. The lovely floral element to it really separates it from Green Irish Tweed or Himalaya, let's say.

Unfortunately, for me, the floral side of it was too dominant and I felt uncomfortable at times wearing it. Perhaps I was trying too hard, as I recall when SMW came out I tried it at Neiman Marcus and wasn't impressed.

This is worn more by men than women it seems, though I'm not quite sure why that is. It is completely unisex with something I think could be very appealing to women. The "ink note" is neat to me.. as is the "petrol" opening (found in MI as well). The dry down is prominent ambergris and violet to my nose.

Longevity and silage were merely average on my skin, sad to say it. This was not the case with a different batch I sampled at one point. I have to give it credit for its development - it starts strong, develops beautifully, but ends up fairly mediocre on me.. and then it's gone.

I think it's a beautiful creation and one that I might come back to at some point. At this point I'm a bit more taken by other Creed offerings.