Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

Calvin Kelin Man with added melon. Too green and feels very cold and "small" to wear.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Thierry Mugler Cologne

Thierry Mugler as a House is known for over the top gourmands like Angel and A*Men. Thierry Mugler cologne feels out of place against the backdrop of what came before but in 2001 Alberto Morillas took a different tack when he created Thierry Mugler Cologne. Thierry Mugler Cologne is supposed to be reminiscent of a soap used by M. Mugler in his youth. The top full of citrus does come off a little soapy but not in a bad way. It comes off as a homemade citrus soap which has a freshness to it not the defined edges that we usually get from citrus especially at the top of a scent. The heart continues with the crispness of the top and although not listed I get a vetiver feel at this point in the development. One of the notes listed is a secret "S" note, to my nose it smells quite herbal and closer to vetiver than anything else. The base is a light white musk which keeps this scent on the light side all the way to the finish. Thierry Mugler Cologne is not a powerhouse like Angel or A*Men it is a very light wearing scent that has an excellent duration on my skin. There is nothing particularly ground-breaking or special about this but there has to be a place for well-balanced clean smelling scents and this is one of those.

Ho Hang by Balenciaga

Balenciaga Ho Hang

Balenciaga would not be one of the first Houses that would spring to mind when asking a perfumista or colognoisseur to start naming Houses. That's a shame because Belenciaga as a House has put out some pretty bold and different scents which are still available at a reasonable price. On the women's side that includes Cristobal, Talisman, and Rumba. Sadly on the men's side there are only two scents left, Cristobal pour Homme and Ho Hang. Ho Hang was created in 1971 and for a scent created in the early 70's it manages to have that spicy oriental vibe of the time without feeling dated in the 21st century. Ho Hang starts off with the traditional mix of citrus and bergamot and while it is nothing new it is well-balanced and performs its function as the gatekeeper to lead you into the heart of this scent. The heart is a magnificent mix of rosewood and lavender. These two notes blend together to create a warm floral heart that is at turns sweet and dry, on me. The base starts with the clean lines of cedar and soon pairs it up with the green of vetiver which tempers the sweetness of the heart quite nicely. Ho Hang definitely hangs around on my skin for a long time and it definitely has some projection but not to the level of some of the big powerhouses from the 70's and 80's. If you're looking for a spicy Oriental that doesn't overwhelm give Ho Hang a try it just might introduce you to a new House.

Philosykos by Diptyque

Diptyque Philosykos

It is always interesting to me to go back and visit the early work of aritsts I admire. These early efforts usually hold the embryonic beginnings of what will become their trademark style over time. Diptyque Philosykos is one of those cases. It was the third scent created by Olivia Giacobetti and released in 1996. It was interesting that Ms. Giacobetti was choosing to revisit fig as her central note as she had already used it in her first scent for L'Artisan, Premier Figuier, two years earlier. In that scent Ms. Giacobetti created a rich fig scent. In Philosykos her second take on fig was to strip it down to basics. Right from the top the fig bursts to life and come flying out of the gate. This is a green fig a few days away from being ripe. It is also a very dry beginning as if a warm arid breeze was wafting the scent of a fig grove towards you. As this progresses that imaginary fig grove begins to take shape as the leaves and the wood begin to accompany the fruit of the fig. Finally at the base this wonderful wet earth accord pulls this fig grove of the nose together in a beautiful way. Ms. Giacobetti will go on to perfect this accord in 2000's Frederic Malle En Passant but in Philosykos you definitely sniff its genesis. The overall feel of Philosykos of sheer central accords will be repaeated many times by Ms. Giacobetti and this is a good early example of what will become her signature style. Philosykos is one of my favorite fig scents because of that style.

Numero Uno by Carthusia

Carthusia Numero Uno

Laura Tonatto undertook the task of creating perfumes for Carthusia back in 2006 and Numero Uno was released in 2007. Ms. Tonatto has created a very masculine chypre which develops in a fairly traditional way but holds true to what I think she was trying to accomplish. The top of Numero Uno is a classic, some might say ubiquitous, mix of citrus and lavender as a tart orange note is cut with lavender. This is the opening of many scent journeys and there are no new revelations made in this one just a competent opening salvo which is well-executed. It is in the heart where things get interesting as it is here where Ms. Tonatto chooses to amp up the herbal character of the scent by making thyme the central note but pairs it with ylang-ylang and a camphor note to give the heart of this a vaporous beauty that is unique as it revolves from aromatic herbal to lush floral to the iciness of camphor. This makes for a beautiful heart of this scent. The base is back on common ground as vetiver, patchouli and a hint of musk bring this back to familiar surroundings. For a man looking for a masculine chypre I think Numero Uno could be just the ticket.

Fiore d'Ambra by Profumum

Profumum Fiore D'Ambra

I do enjoy my amber centered scents and Profumum has one of my favorites in Ambra Aurea which used amber in a way which brought out its more strong lines. In this 2008 release Fiore D'Ambra chooses to explore the sweeter side of amber and is just as successful as its predecessor. Profumum can be frustrating with their note lists, for instance the note list for this scent is ambre gris and opium. Who knows what that means but it does free one to experience a scent without too many pre-conceived notions of what should be there. Other, than of course, amber which is in the name. From the top the amber is present and this is a sweet amber full and round. It is paired with a lovely sweet incense accord that amplifies the sweeteness of the amber without taking over the scent. The amber persists into the heart where there is a spiciness present but it has a floral character to it which makes me think carnation because there is a hint of clove. Again this is partnered well with the amber as the contrast brings out a different facet of the amber. In the base a soft creamy sandalwood mixes with the amber to finish this off in traditional territory with an accord I've smelled many times before and it feels like coming home as the amber and sandalwood mix together like peas and carrots. Profumum have now done two very different takes on amber and Fiore D'Ambra is every bit as good as Ambra Aurea, to me. If I was to be stuck with only these two scents as my amber contingent in my wardrobe I'd be fine with that.

Déclaration Eau Genereuse by Cartier

Cartier Declaration Eau Genereuse

Flankers are not my favorite subject in perfumery. Very often they are weaker un-balanced versions of the original and suffer in comparison. Try the sport version of many popular fragrances to see where I'm coming from. Then someone like Jean-Claude Ellena takes the idea and actually does something incredible with it. The Declaration line he created for Cartier shows how a central theme can be re-interpreted over four different scents. I am a big fan of the original Declaration and as someone who likes cumin in his scents it is a great scent, for me. What about the cumin averse out there? Ellena's first answer was, in 2001, Bois Bleu which stripped the cumin out and left the remainder firmly in aquatic territory. While I liked Bois Bleu it had lost some of the citrus sparkle that was present in the original and I missed that. In 2003, Ellena designed the scent that retains that spark and created Declaration Eau Genereuse. This is Declaration without the cumin and it is all sunshine and light and wonderful, on me. The top recreates the citrus beginning but without the earthiness of the cumin the green notes are much more prevalent. The wormwood is also missing which removes the astringent woody aspects and keeps Eau Genereuse all on the side of lighter, brighter accords as the zesty cardamom and artemesia lead down to a cedar-centric base. This is a clean, fresh scent expertly executed in an Eau de Cologne style. That Eau de Cologne style means not a lot of sillage but on me it stays as a close wearing skin scent for many hours. Ellena has almost made me a believer in flankers. Maybe more appropriately he has made me a believer in flankers designed by Ellena.

Kewal's avatar

Kohdo Wood Collection: Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone

I also love this fragrance. Stock up now, it's going away again! (sorry, I'm not joking)

Tony T's avatar

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

full,rich and vibrant. you must have a didtinct personality when wearing this or quickly develop one.not for the office but very casual and charesmatic.this is an unmatched scent maybe only to chanel's allure that any man can wear and meet complete strangers based on the smell. from the lime and apple, to the patchouli and vanilla this is a sexy,friendly open your arms to the world scent.

Tony T's avatar

Touch for Men by Burberry

spring and summer casual scent. comforting as mentioned before with a touch of swag due to the pepper and tonka bean. decent longevity and a bit alluring. i have had my 1.7 oz bottle for 2 years but will wear it more along with burberry summer.

Nathan214's avatar

Ambra di Venezia by Montgomery Taylor

I find Ambra di Venezia to be a very soft, balanced work, expertly blending citrus oils, jasmine and sandalwood for a warm glow of a fragrance that lasts for a good 6-8 hours.

The narcissus at the opening smells very bright and fresh, then the scent evolves into a much more relaxed and smooth piece. I didn't get too much sweetness out of it at all, and think it's easily suitable for both men and women.

Note: I only have the perfume formulation. There's an EDP version available, as well, and I have not yet tested it for comparison's sake.

Nathan214's avatar

UNTITLED #3 by Sarah Horowitz by UNTITLED

Untitled #3 is a very unique fragrance, with a distinctly animalic musk at the heart of it that you're either going to love or hate.

The opening is a pleasant yuzu-citrus followed by a fresh, green gardenia. About twenty to thirty minutes in, the musk starts to emerge and gives the fragrance a kind of sweaty, wet-hay vibe that lasts for several hours. The drydown is extraordinary -- a dry sandalwood and amber with a bit of salty coriander spice thrown in, and it just goes on and on and on. Well over ten hours later and I was still smelling it on my skin.

But sample before you purchase. The musky heart is not to everyone's liking (as you'll notice should you cruise by the reviews at Makeup Alley).

6opar's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

The Dreamer by Versace

I believe the Dreamer is a highly exaggerated and overestimated edt. Not that it does not smell nice , it does. Not that it is not long lasting or powerful, it is. In the past two weeks i have been wearing it, and yes, got some compliments. But is highly "artificial", that's what it is. Its mighty in-the-nose synthetic mess is something i do not quite approve.
    On my skin the first seconds bring citrus reminiscense which I cannot figure out. In fact it is little i can get from this cologne.What dominates through the long life of the dreamer and is obvious to my nose is the sweetened tobacco note in the base. This is a daytime wear and is a bit eccentric, but far away from classy style.

Redbeard's avatar

Amazing for Men by Bill Blass

I didn't know for the longest time what this actually smelled like. I finally concluded that the top is some kind of tropical fruit liqueur, maybe mango? Kiwi? It starts to turn a little less tropical, perhaps into orange or tangerine, and then just briefly it seems like the fruit is going rotten as it transitions into a fruity, boozy leather base and then resolves itself. Even though it doesn't feel unmasculine to me, I thought that the top was more typical of women's perfume...then later the base becomes more "standardly" masculine. I thought I'd keep it around for variety and to figure it out, but I eventually gave up. Really fun bottle, though!

Redbeard's avatar

Photo by Lagerfeld

Unless my bottle was bad, this was one of those smells-like-nothing situations. I thought I wasn't smelling anything at first and then realized it was just really light and dry lavender. It smelled like the cheapest generic dryer sheets I had ever encountered. And this was OK for a while...after using more sprays than usual, it actually imparted a smell to me, but that just degraded into a subtle but annoying "got some crap from the dryer sheets on your hands and it won't wash off" sensation.

Jestersinthemoon's avatar

I am King by Sean John

I am King is absolutely revolting. Any King that smelled like this would never father any heirs to the throne, as no woman would be able to come near him without dry heaving uncontrollably.

When I first sprayed it, the bitterness did not jump out, but after only a few moments, I was completely overwhelmed by a bitter, pithy, grapefruit..........almost like taking a huge bite of an unripe grapefruit and chewing it up, skin and all. Then that horrible citrus is attacked by a horrible synthetic metallic and alcoholic accord that made me want to do nothing other than wash it off as quickly as I could before my gag reflex took over.

I guess "Puffy" can only design successful fragrances when he's copying scents designed by the "real" geniuses at the House of Creed and then marketing them to the urban scene who would never know they were blatant, second-rate copies in the first place.

A total bust. Sad and pathetic.

dacha's avatar

Larrikin for Men by Mount Romance

I want to be very clear about this scent as in my opinion is a very fine rendition of a sandalwood. Much closer to MPG's Santal Noble than Tam Dao and unlike Trumper's Sandalwood cologne a very true sandalwood creation.

According to their own literature. “Top Notes: Fresh green with bergamot, pine and clary sage. Heart Notes: Spicy and and resinous notes of Fern and Cinnamon combine with just a touch of floral Rosewood and Carnation. Base Notes: Woody, Leathery, Powdery with Australian Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Amber and Patchouli.”

The top notes and heart notes seem to be present in the nose of the beholder, every one that sniffs me when I'm wearing Larrikin, will find one of these, but the true beauty of this scent is the creamy sandalwood.

My real problem is with the marketing, if any one from outside Australia looked up what a larrikin is, the most common definition is a that of a street thug. If you come from the land down under a larrikin describes an anti-authoritarian humorist. Some one that likes a drink, a punt, a good laugh and a good woman. The company's literature and marketing point to the ANZAC spirit and rugged individualism. Curiously these would all be apt descriptions for how I see Trumper's Sandalwood. Larrikin is far more cultured and refined, the bracing top notes and the wonderful base, so reminiscent of Santal Noble which is the only Sandalwood that I have smelled that is better. Yet Larrikin is available for $AU55 per 100ml and Santal Noble will be about $AU155. A better buy dollar for dollar, even if it only lasts 4 hours.

While there are some oddities in the literature, like - the largest plantations of Indian Sandalwood (Santalum album) which it delivers to the perfume industry, - while the wood in Larrikin and indeed every product is advertised as “Australian”, I have no idea whether this means that Santalum spicatum is the ingredient or not. It may not matter to me but for Sandalwood buyers it can be an issue.

They have worked with Jean La Porte to create the Santalia range of products and are working with Michel Roudnitska to develop more frgrances, so they have some creative depth behind them and great hope for the future.

To sum up, a company with prospects and ideas and a great scent for the money that I feel lovers of the note should buy for it comes straight from the growers. So buy it or I'll send some Larrikins around to make you! Either that or they come up with a better marketing plan.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

One of the best and gourmand oriental ever. On me, it's just divine.

Bo Darville's avatar

Set Sail St. Barts for Women by Tommy Bahama

I spotted this one on sale at TJ Maxx and thought it smelled a little like Burberry Weekend for Men, so I purchased it. It's not that bad. The supposed lime top note isn't especially prominent or even convincing; it just smells generically citrus. It is at the same time, however, very pleasantly creamy (the so-called tequila sorbet note) - it's really quite confectionary in a frozen dessert pop sort of way. Just don't associate the word "tequila" with booziness; this frag is not boozy.

Alas, the heart notes are full of overtly feminine florals that pretty much kill my personal enjoyment of the fragrance. I simply would not be able to wear this publicly without heightened self consciousness. I fear that heat would accentuate this perfume-y quality.

On the plus side, I gave it to my mother, and she loves it. I think that many women would...

adonis's avatar

Mr. Hulot's Holiday by CB I Hate Perfume

I think the lesson from both the Demeter and the CB line is the connection between memory and scent. CB likes to take you back to childhood with his concoctions of Play Dough, waffles, and coastlines. Mr. Hulot's Holiday is very interesting. This is the East Coast in a bottle. I immediately got vivid images of the Atlantic Seaboard and a summer vacation I was on when I was four or five. In particular I could remember the deep blue sky of Miami and crossing waterways on short bridges. Powerful, but It's just not a scent I'd ever want to apply more than a few times. Much respect to Christopher; now make something all of us would love to wear 24/7/365.

kaylenehelen's avatar

Casmir by Chopard

My daughters found this fragrance for me. I love the warm spiciness of it, and get lots of complements from women and men both when wearing.

It's my go-to fragrance for a sophisticated and approachable amber-vanilla veil of scent.

For me, this is a great everyday, and summer scent.

kaylenehelen's avatar

White Patchouli by Tom Ford

A beautifully balanced fragrance in the best bottle I've seen. Opens with beautiful, heady white flowers in the grand fashion of forgotten perfumes. Too much rose in the middle for my body chemistry. There's an unfortunate "soapy" quality that lasts too long for me to buy this one. Beautiful warm,but bright drydown I can still smell the next morning.

Probably the most ladylike patchouli you'll find. This girl has elegance.

camellia-rose's avatar

Love's Baby Soft by Love's

Certainly not for anyone over the age of 13, but Love's Baby Soft sure is nice. I admit it. I own a bottle. But only to wear around the house and use as air freshener. Its soft powdery scent is a pleasant trip down memory lane. It really is a shame that it was worn alongside crimped hair, acid washed jeans, and LA gear sneakers, but at the time they were as fashionable as it is. The difference is they went out of style and Baby Soft did not. Good for a nostalgic romp; just don't wear it out of the house. Fortunately, it's price allows you to be so frivolous in its use.

No. 5 by Chanel

My mom got this as a present and she is (thankfully, for me) allegic to fragrance - they make her head spin, she says. So I gladly took this one from her. Well, that's the good part. The bad part is I didn't like it. I wanted to like it. After all it is Chanel No. 5. The Classic. The Timeless. But why??? I didn't hate it, but I didn't see what I was supposed to like, either. To me it was just a strong, aldehyde fragrance. And I do not even like the word aldehyde. Doesn't it sound (and smell) artificial? If you must try it once in your life - if you just can't pass up on that fame - get the smallest bottle you can find.

Red Door by Elizabeth Arden

I was browsing the fragrance corner with a friend. She took one whiff of Red Door and her facial expression was something to watch. "Yuk. Who would wear this stuff? Why do they sell this stuff?" I felt embarrased, because I had a bottle at home. I had not bought it but it was included along with some other mini-sized perfumes in a set and I had occasionally worn it, although I didn't much like it. Why throw it away since I have it? Well, may be some perfumes are better thrown out. Strong in a midly awful way. Not overwhelmingly bad, but still on the awful side. I couldn't really see a redeeming feature.

Deseo by Jennifer Lopez

I got a free sample and gave it a try. It had a pleasant smell, but then there was nothing memorable about it. And it didn't last very long, either.

Ramiro's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I have been wearing this for one year, the smell is great one of the greatests smells i have ever try, but i cant identify the notes they are very similar, i have been wearing it for one year and i havent identified its base notes and i dont like that, and everybody says that it smells delcious i dont agree at all but i think that is has something that atractss to everybody

Silver Shadow by Davidoff

Nice opening… Bitter orange and a quiet, rather rich cinnamon and a non-annoying (to me) saffron make it sort of mid-point between "fresh" and "spicy." A bit reticent, it is an enjoyable accord that has more than its share of class. The middle level presents a cedar / woody dominated accord that retains some of the spice and is somewhat too retiring for my taste, but there’s the possibility that I could get used to it. But I don’t think I’ll get used to the base because of its all-too-ordinary construction and performance. It’s basically amber and it goes powdery. Silver Shadow is obviously made for the over forty set, I like it except for the powdery base. Up until then, the fragrance would have served well as an office / day fragrance, but I just don’t care for powdery fragrances for daytime, and I want a little stronger presentation from this one gives for evening. Soft sillage and a bit less than average longevity - actually a nice fragrance but not at all compelling...

25th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 09th July, 2011)

finsfan's avatar

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

I also agree with ZZ topp. I am testing each, one on each wrist. Yes, Chez Bond is closer to GIT than is Cool Water. I could not pinpoint what was making the Chez Bond smell a little more powdery and less floral or aquatic-like, and vanilla, yes, I can see where that would temper the GIT notes. So far, after two hours, they seem to be wearing about the same as projection, but my wife likes the GIT over Chez Bond. Close enough that were the Bond much cheaper than the Creed, I would go the Bond version. However, having worn Creed for a few years and then Bond being the newcomer, I won't downgrade it for maybe being 'like' GIT (okay, call it a copy if you must) but I would go with the GIT as I like the little bit of brightness it has to my nose over the Bond. If I did not know GIT was out there, then yes, I would be over this scent.

26th April, 2009

Naitch's avatar

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

I think this is the most underrated, best kept secret in cologne. This is a rare re-purchase for me after owning it several years ago. I used to get a lot of compliments about it and recently it was on sale at Walgreen's so I picked it up again. I can't believe how good this stuff really is. I think the negative remarks are from initial applications. Yes it smells like bad medicine when first sprayed out of the bottle. The drydown is completely the opposite, hence 360 degrees I guess. Very clean, fresh and woodsy. Longevity is great, about 5 or 6 hours.

If you think spending $70 on a designer bottle makes a cologne great, this isn't for you. If you are only concerned with the actual fragrance, get this! Then enjoy the fact you own something that a million other hipsters don't have, spent $40 and smell great all at the same time.

26th April, 2009