Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

Silver Shadow by Davidoff

Nice opening… Bitter orange and a quiet, rather rich cinnamon and a non-annoying (to me) saffron make it sort of mid-point between "fresh" and "spicy." A bit reticent, it is an enjoyable accord that has more than its share of class. The middle level presents a cedar / woody dominated accord that retains some of the spice and is somewhat too retiring for my taste, but there’s the possibility that I could get used to it. But I don’t think I’ll get used to the base because of its all-too-ordinary construction and performance. It’s basically amber and it goes powdery. Silver Shadow is obviously made for the over forty set, I like it except for the powdery base. Up until then, the fragrance would have served well as an office / day fragrance, but I just don’t care for powdery fragrances for daytime, and I want a little stronger presentation from this one gives for evening. Soft sillage and a bit less than average longevity - actually a nice fragrance but not at all compelling...

25 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 09 July, 2011)

finsfan's avatar

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

I also agree with ZZ topp. I am testing each, one on each wrist. Yes, Chez Bond is closer to GIT than is Cool Water. I could not pinpoint what was making the Chez Bond smell a little more powdery and less floral or aquatic-like, and vanilla, yes, I can see where that would temper the GIT notes. So far, after two hours, they seem to be wearing about the same as projection, but my wife likes the GIT over Chez Bond. Close enough that were the Bond much cheaper than the Creed, I would go the Bond version. However, having worn Creed for a few years and then Bond being the newcomer, I won't downgrade it for maybe being 'like' GIT (okay, call it a copy if you must) but I would go with the GIT as I like the little bit of brightness it has to my nose over the Bond. If I did not know GIT was out there, then yes, I would be over this scent.

Naitch's avatar

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

I think this is the most underrated, best kept secret in cologne. This is a rare re-purchase for me after owning it several years ago. I used to get a lot of compliments about it and recently it was on sale at Walgreen's so I picked it up again. I can't believe how good this stuff really is. I think the negative remarks are from initial applications. Yes it smells like bad medicine when first sprayed out of the bottle. The drydown is completely the opposite, hence 360 degrees I guess. Very clean, fresh and woodsy. Longevity is great, about 5 or 6 hours.

If you think spending $70 on a designer bottle makes a cologne great, this isn't for you. If you are only concerned with the actual fragrance, get this! Then enjoy the fact you own something that a million other hipsters don't have, spent $40 and smell great all at the same time.

Naitch's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This cologne grabbed me immediately after trying it. Usually I have to try several when I am purchasing something new, but after smelling this I knew I was going to buy it. It's one of those scents you keep wanting to smell throughout the day because it's that good. It's a little on the sweet side, especially on initial spray. The drydown is the best part with a combination of citrus, vetiver and what I would call musk.

The funny thing is I was almost going to return it due to what seemed to be poor longevity in the beginning. Then I learned the real strength of this scent is that it is very subtle, not overpowering. I like the fact you can spray 7 or 8 times and you won't leave a toxic trail. Using unscented lotion prolongs the scent by a few hours, and during summer weather the scent comes alive just when you think it is dead. This is not a fragrance for trying to pick up women, it's fragrance to feel like a confident man.

Seems to be very popular but I haven't smelled it on other people, and that's a beautiful thing.

Update 8/02/09: After owning this a few months now, I have to say that the longevity is really a big problem. You can spray this as many as 10 times on yourself and/or a shirt and can't smell it an hour later. Yes you can smell it very close to your skin hours later, but that's it. That's along with using the uncented lotion. Without the travel size Sephora sells this would be unusable. I doubt it's because of being used to smell since I just use it 1 to 2 times a week.

I still really love the scent but I am considering something longer lasting when this bottle runs out.

26 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 02 August, 2009)

ubuandibeme's avatar

Un Matin d'Orage Eau de Toilette by Annick Goutal

YIKES! At first sniff, the presence of ylang-ylang is distinct. For me ylang-ylang comes across as stinky. A potent stink weed. In Un Matin d'Orage; it is a major player - which is the first problem my olfactory detects. The next, and maybe more obvious offender, is shisho. (Never heard of it before now, so took a quick glance through wikipedia.) Apparently this is a genus of annual herb that is a member of the mint family. Grown in India & East Asia, a chemotype oil is extracted from the leaves. It has a terpene like quality, which explains the chemical bomb personality of UMdO. At times it smells 'indolic', in a dirty/chemical way. Not at all pleasant. I also sense a mushroom/fungi note that some may perceive as earthy...for me it is...mushroomy. Maybe that's the champaca. At any rate, I haven't anything positive to say here. This is one of the most unappealing scents I've smelled in a long time.

zztopp's avatar

Dans Tes Bras by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Notes:bergamot, clove, violet, jasmine, sandalwood, patchouli, salicylates, incense, Cashmeran, heliotrope and white musk.

Dans Tes Bras ("In your arms", DTB) is the latest creation by Maurice Roucel and it continues from where the atrocious Guerlain Insolence EDT left off, albeit in a less incompetent way. This floral-woody fragrance intends to elicit a "sensual skin scent" aroma, probably for couples in a space age future considering the amounts of blatant synthetics loaded into this juice.

DTB is not a violet-themed fragrance. Sure, it opens with what smells like a mini-me Insolence hairspray violet (albeit toned down and greener), but thats the extent of its violetness. There's been talk of a mushroom-note, but I don't get any mushrooms in the opening, atleast none which smell like the fresh, organic ones I eat. The opening accord has a little bit of citrus, a tinge of a decent violet note, and a blast of woody-musk. DTB features an overdose of Cashmeran(R) and it makes its presence felt from the beginning as it hangs like a massive dark cloud over the whole composition (its special effect being that it makes the whole composition feel "linear"). The gears do shift a bit in the middle notes, where an earthy patchouli note peeks out for a bit before another synthetic barges in, this time from the salicylate family. I detect lots of methyl salicylate, a wintergreen like note conjoined here with clove and featured in many muscle rub creams, and although not indicated in the notes, I also get acetyle salicylate....in the form of a chemically aspirin-like note which forms a good portion of DTBs second half. Several hours later, DTB mercifully dries down to good ol'woody-musky cashmeran with a tinge of saltiness.

DTB smells mostly linear, and the accords its outputs aren't pleasant. It doesn't impress in the quality of ingredients area, nor is it a particularly unique or attractive smell (unless you aren't familiar with cashmeran and salicylates). There are many superior violet/violet leaf fragrances to it (too many to list!) and if you want an enjoyable skin scent, Azure Soleil is just one (its "warm sand" accord is far more accomplished than anything in DTB). DTB isn't terribly bad, but at its price point and considering its competition, it better roll over and play dead. Maurice Roucel has been on a somewhat of a downward slope lately .. I don't know what hes trying to accomplish with his new fragrances? Gaudy and garish? Poorly rendered violets? Just plain disregard for the public? Boredom? Whatever it is, thank God Frederic Malle lined up Dominique Ropion pronto to release Geranium pour homme so quick after this disaster. Word has it that Malle was so enthralled by Roucels' skill that he had him done a ct-scan of his brain so he could have a look-see inside the moustachioed-ones brain....considering what he did with the supposed infinite resources granted to him by the house of Frederic Malle, Mr. Malle would need to make an appointment with Lacuna Inc.soon ...

Rating: 5.25/10.00

Eliza's avatar

Impérial Opoponax by Les Néréides

I sent a sample to my mother who has always worn Shalimar and she ordered a bottle! I did too. I guess I like sweet myrrh and a citrus combination more than I knew I did. Addictive is right (someone said that in the reviews). I wish more bottles were dark so you can set them on your vanity and not have to worry about sunlight getting to the juice.

Eliza's avatar

Aoud Queen Roses by Montale

There's a lot of oud and a lot of roses in this and if you have a couple of the other montale ouds, then they will last longer. That is how I look at it. I bought this on Ebay for a good price. Why would someone sell this for such a fair price! It's meant to be kept, not sold.

carlos-uk's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

I have a real love/hate affair with Cool Water.

On the one hand there is no way it's current formulation is the same as it originally was. It has changed, not beyond recognition but there's something in it (or not in it) that didn't used to be/used to be there that makes it wrong somehow.

On the other hand, it's the one fragrance I have bought continually and used every last drop of without getting bored of it!

Then I discovered Green Irish Tweed by Creed. Smelling that for the first time was a revelation. It was like the original Cool Water but so good, it became apparent to me that Cool Water was in fact an imitation of Green Irish Tweed that's so near and yet so far. I still think Cool Water works well on the right type of skin, it's just a shame that it's not my type of skin. Is it dated? I don't think it is 'dated' but it's so well known that it does make you think of years gone by. Having said that, I feel it's a perfectly pleasant fragrance in it's own right. I've just ordered a bottle of Freshman from Truefitt and Hill on the basis that many are comparing it to Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed. The general opinion is that it smells like Cool Water used to smell which is a big plus. And if it bares a passing resemblance to the prohibitively pricey Green Irish Tweed, I might have found my middle-man.

I say, go for Cool Water if you like the smell of it but do check out Green Irish Tweed if you can afford it or perhaps go for the Truefitt and Hill which is about the same price as Cool Water. There's some happy memories for me and Cool Water and I think it still smells good today, just not as good as it used too.

The Duke's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Very nice indeed. I very much agree with Redcomet in the sense that this is a warm weather scent for those who like cool weather scents. I get a lot of violet and black tea in the top notes, supported by a hint of citrus. then comes the faintest hint of spice. The spice stays around for a while and then dies down to a base of sweetened black tea, amber, woods, and musk. It is not a strong woods but more like a water logged piece of cedar; and the musk is not dirty, but a very clean white musk. All in all, very nice and lasts 24+ hours on me. The longevity can be tricky though; your nose gets used to the smell very quickly, and it can seem to have disappeared. Trust me it is still there with noticeable sillage.

Also, to me it smells a bit like Green Irish Tweed with the green notes removed, and a faint bit of spice added.

sweetcrazylaura's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

OMG... I am in love with this scent. It's not overtly feminine (and I am not either) and it is so deep and mysterious. Not many people wear it (I like that). It is one that I go to at least 3x a week. Gorgeous!!

Merbert's avatar

Parure by Guerlain

The transformation from initial application to drydown is dramatic. It starts with that classic Guerlain mystery and brooding found in Mitsouko with the addition of what is referred to as plum (I'm not sure of this fruit note) and bergamot. Oakmoss becomes predominant joined with dark rose, wood, spices and incense. Unfortunately, on my skin the oakmoss fades and Parure becomes a fairly innocuous woody Oriental. I did discover that my clothes retain the dark Guerlain mystery and oakmoss 10 hours after application. Because of this, Parure has become a "handkerchief fragrance" for me.

Asha's avatar

Neroli by Czech & Speake

Czech & Speake Neroli

Neroli is an Eau de Cologne, and as such is light and uplifting. On first application (from a dabber sample), it smells of bitter orange, neroli blossom and orange flower water. There is a sharpness to the blend that is vaguely powdery and bitter, and something here reminds me of leather. The neroli is quite indolic for a very short time, and the orange flower water gives the fragrance a very classic feel. The opening accord gives way to a synthetic mandarin orange accord which I have smelled in Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Mandarin Basilic. The synthetic note has a bit of an edge that gives modernity to what first seemed like a very classic composition. Traditional colognes typically fade quickly and are valued most for their refreshing "burst" on warm days or after bathing. With this in mind, C&S Neroli seems almost a hybrid--the opening citrus and floral components blossom wildly in the first ten minutes, and then the rest of the fragrance rides out on a lingering citrus note, light florals and a sweet musk base, soft but much stronger than I would expect from a cologne. The sharp edge I sensed earlier continues as a subtle mid note, and has a quality about it that reminds me of the leathery tea accord which is used in Bulgari Eau Parfumee au The Vert. In the drydown, I occasionally catch whiffs of the neroli which is a tad soapy but mostly floral. I really love the quality of the neroli note--it is very similar to the gorgeous neroli in Abdes Salaam Attar Profumo Morning Blossom, but not featured nearly so well as it is in Profumo's composition. C&S Neroli can easily be worn by men or women, although the leathery tea-like quality and the musk base tilt it a bit toward the masculine.

Asha's avatar

Cologne à l'Italienne by Institut Tres Bien

Institut Tres Bien Cologne a L'Italienne

This Eau de Cologne is light and refreshing. It starts with a burst of sweet orange fruit and aromatic bergamot. The fragrance develops quickly, and this was expected considering it is very much rooted in the traditional cologne genre. The juicy orange note is the first to fade, and the bergamot carries on into the mid notes, joined by petitgrain and soapy neroli. I don't smell much in the way of herbal components such as rosemary or lavender, although these notes tend to meld with petitgrain's woodyness. The soapyness of the neroli gives this composition a very clean feel. I much prefer a more floral neroli, and thankfully I do smell the floral aspect along with the soapyness. The drydown is a lovely soft and slightly powdery vanilla amber. Despite that this fragrance seems to be extremely straightforward, hitting all the traditional cologne benchmarks as it develops, I find it to be very satisfying. As is expected with colognes, it is short lived with low sillage. This seems much more unisex than other cologne-type fragrances I have tried. Any herbal content it may have does not overwhelm, become "sweaty" or overly masculine. The sweet amber base is not cloying or overly feminine. As Goldilocks said of baby-bear's porridge, it is Just Right.

mateo365's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I thought I was going to hate this the first time I smelled it. It was a peppery orange explosion. I wore it to work a week later on a whim; it has been at the top of my cologne rotation ever since. It works everywhere: the club, the office, hanging out with my woman. It is earthy, mysterious, sophisticated. Very nice, indeed.

rinosaur's avatar

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

The epitome of a sports fragrance. Its very creamy, smooth and high class smelling in a modern way. It was every so slightly too citrusy for me though. I assume some BNers will find it boring and bland compared to PM, Egoiste, and Anteaus, and yes its not that unique, nevertheless its the best safe sports fragrance I've come across.

26 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st July, 2009)

AnimaSola's avatar

CK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

If this smells like bug spray, then bug spray I will wear. I agree with the positive comments; it is light and creamy with sweet notes and gentle woods. Self-effacing and innocuous, it is a wonderfully pleasant casual fragrance. It is probably intended for the younger crowd, but anyone can wear it because it is utterly ingratiating. Perhaps bug spray is smelling too good nowadays.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Rich, warm, luxurious...these words describe BdP perfectly. A very mature, masculine scent. Reminds me of CK Obsession, though much, MUCH more refined.

It's a classic power scent. I envision men like Frank Sinatra or George Clooney wearing this with their tailored suits and $1000 shoes. I presently feel a little too young to pull this off, though it does give me one thing to look forward to as I grow older.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

I want to like this, but just can't. Too much metallic and ink. The softer floral and tea notes notes are lurking, but they're so far in the background. It mellows down a bit during the drydown, but unfortunately doesn't last too long on my skin.

Himalaya by Creed

The name evokes imagery of snow-capped mountains, which is fitting as Himalaya is most at home in cooler weather. But unlike other scents well-suited for colder months, Himalaya's warmth has a distinct coolness that's just perfect for someone looking for a compromise between fresh summer frags and heavier, spicy scents.

It has a pleasant subtleness to it; clean and soapy citrus and woods are combined with the trademark Creed sweet metallic inkiness, yet not as pronounced as say, SMW or MI. It stays close to the skin and won't blow anyone's socks off, which makes it a great choice to wear at the office.

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Not my cup of tea at all. Sweet like candy, this honestly remind me of the cola bottle gummies I used buy from the 7-11 when I was a kid. Just too over the top. It seems like something a teenage girl should be wearing. I've tried it a couple times hoping to warm up to it, but each time I just count the minutes until it fades away - which thankfully isn't that long on me.

Some people obviously like it, just make sure you try before you buy.

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

Citrus mixed with a bit of chocolate, nuts and mint. Smells like Christmas. So much so I feel out of place wearing it any other time of the year. Women love chocolate, so it's no surprise this one is popular with the ladies. Perfect to wear to the company Christmas party.

varvara's avatar

Eau de Givenchy by Givenchy

Just tried this today and found my new summer scent. Lovely green and dewy muguet scent. This is all but gone me after an hour though--too bad.
    my only wish for this scent was to make just a little sexier and have that jasmin more noticeable. oh well, it is an "eau" after all. thumbs up from me

silverdog's avatar

Quorum by Antonio Puig

What I love about this fragrance is that 'they' wouldn't dare launch it today. It's deep, dark and visceral and very 80s - a total 'power fragrance'.

Like a Halston trouser suit on a butchered veal calf or an abortion in Don Johnson's spice rack, this is a scent of its time, its sleeves rolled up and its fingers on Reagan's Star Wars buttons. A whiplash in a pine forest, a cheap cigar in a plastic ashtray. Yum.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I love the vintage edc of Mitsouko very much and so I was very curious to try the modern edt. It's still as lovely as ever, the loveliest peace note in a perfume. And one of the greatest perfume ever made. Strangely, its the edc which has more potency over the modern frag. Now, the parfum awaits me.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

One of the great masculine scent of all time. I felt like beating my chest and doing a Tarzan yodelling as I wear this. I'm sure this will be a big hit with the ladies. I have on the modern version and I can't imagine how good the vintage will be.

Dany1985's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

First of all, GPH is very very similar to Rochas LUI. I own both of 'em and guess what...they are from same parent company, Robertet Group. Like Rochas Lui, GPH opens with a smoky woody sorta aroma and gradually develops into a rich leather/vanilla base. The whole transformation from start to finish is like a sweet smoky joy-ride. Sillage is very good & longevity is 12+hrs on my skin, which is SUPER!!!

Ronberge's avatar

Vetyver / Vétiver by Givenchy

Sweetly sophisticated and refined vetiver fragrance that has a definite daintiness to it, very upperclass.
    It does without the rubber/tobacco of the Guerlain Vetiver and the soapiness of the Creed OV.
    Can be easily worn by both sexes IMO.
    To paraphrase something I read; if Guerlain is the gardener then the lord of the estate is definitely Givenchy.
    Reasonably priced but not easy to find - well worth a try.
    4.5/5 stars

26 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 August, 2009)

decillisjl's avatar

Mambo for Men by Liz Claiborne

okay this might be the wine talking but this stuff just plain sucks... I'm not even going to give it the benefit of describing the scent pyramid because so many before me have said enough... I totally understand "value" fragrances and some people might have an extremely small budget for cologne, but when you can pick up Carven Homme for twenty bucks or a mulititude of others for a bit more I can't see the point in shelling out an hours worth of work for something this disastrous. I have two toddlers that I have just suffered through potty training, and to be honest I would rather clean up an "accident" than ever try this again... Yuck!!!

decillisjl's avatar

Black by Pierre Cardin

In fashion everything is metaphorically referred to as "the new black"... in fragrance anything "black" is just a moniker for "safe citrus standby"... when you don't really want to be noticed, but you don't want to offend either... After numerous wearings at home I decided to overindulge in P.C. Black one day for work to see what kind of comments I received... Let's just say that I got a couple of questions but most were in the line of "hey are you wearing this? or hey are you wearing that?"... Compared to most of the other generic "pseudo-aquatics" I would rate this as being decent, but if I really wanted obscure generalities from untrained noses I would spend my money on Axe body spray and be done with it... This might be the most warranted "neutral" rating I've ever given