Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

Must de Cartier by Cartier

A huge scrubber for me. It smelled like someone set fire to a car in a field of dandelions.

Amazingly bitter from the first sniff, only settling down to burned rubber and plastic smell. I think that's the rose; I'm a known rose killer.

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

On the right woman, this would surely be rich and exciting. On me, it was much too heavy, and actually burned my skin. It made me think of anointing oil, which is not a bad thing, but never settled down into my skin.

Versace Versense by Versace

This one took me completely by surprise.

I was shopping for something in my usual oriental range, and took home samples of this fragrance mainly because it's so hard to get samples these days, I'm grateful for any offered. I frankly had no interest in what, in the bottle and on paper, smelled like just another desperately "transparent" modern fragrance.

I gave it another sniff, and recognized bergamot, so, in deference to Shalimar, I applied it to my skin.

It opens with the sophisticated lemony smell you expect from bergamot, with an earthy zing from the cardamom and a certain gracious roundness that I attribute to the fig. Soon, this warms up with sandalwood and cedar, and the lovely play of jasmine. Jasmine, here freed from its usually overbearing companion, forms the perfect counterpoint to the woody heart of a masterfully blended fragrance.

aezikely's avatar

Philtre d'Amour by Guerlain

There is no shortage of citrus fragrances, and even within Guerlain there are a plethora of citrus options. Philtre d'Amour is, in my humble opinion, the greatest of all citrus fragrances for many reasons. The first and foremost reason is that unlike most citruses (and especially the Guerlain Eaux) the bright, sunny citrus lasts for hours, persisting well into the drydown. Imperiale and Du Coq are nice but the sunshine fades within 30 minutes!

The opening is a sharp and bracing citrus blend of lemon and verbena. I'm not particularly great at picking out florals, but jasmine, which itself has a very bright and almost citrus-like quality, is clearly underpinning the citrus and provides the bridge to the heart accord of citrus and florals, accompanied by a slight powderiness. After a couple hours of citrus/florals there is a slow meandering transition to a very subtle but very real patchouli. It's nothing like a patchouli-based fragrance type of patchouli note, but rather a note of depth and texture that can only be patchouli. A similar patchouli note can be found in the heart notes of Guerlain's recent Chypre Fatale (and is sadly absent in La Petit Robe Noir where it would work well). Even in the base the citrus is still present.

I haven't tested PdA against Plus Que Jamais, a fragrance of which I fortunately own a nice decant, but they are in some ways mirrors of each other. PQJ is a floral unpinned by citrus and PdA the other way around. Both are great.

Overall Philtre d'Amour is just as sunny and 'summertime' as a fragrance can be. Yes, those Les Parisiennes are tricky to acquire and pricey - and there are many more 'well known' offerings in the line, but if you have the opportunity to sample and/or buy PdA definitely grab it. One last note, the original PdA from 2000 (in the cylindrical 30ml bottle) is very, very similar but even brighter in the topnotes but not as long lasting. I'm not sure if the original was also an EdP as the current version is.

MJW77's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

I have the Eau Extreme version of this fragrance and it is simply awesome. I didn't think I was a fan of gourmand fragances until I tried this. L'instant completly changed my mind. Won't even bother to go into details other than say I KNOW I smell amazing when I wear this!!! HUGE thumbs up!

loulily's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

If you don't understand the alure of No. 5, try it more than one time. Spray it far away and walk through. (Fresh, just took a shower) Spray right on the wrist and let it dry. (Sweeter, rich ) Dab on the wrist and rub around a bit. (Clean and green) It can be different every way. It took me 4 wearings to understand. Now I love it. EDT.

nortelnetwork's avatar

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

i love it...i just bought some...

döfä91's avatar

Finland Finland

Baldessarini Strictly Private by Baldessarini

One of the rare vanilla based fragrances that i find wearable. Longevity being average or a bit over average and a big sillage. The black bottle with a gold color sticker saying "strickly private" describes this fragrance aptly. A good example of a masculine vanilla frag thanks to the quite dominating vetiver-patchouli heart. The smell reeks of money, power, privacy, dominance and authority yet being warm and comfortable at the same time.

26 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 May, 2013)

lespritz's avatar

Dunhill Pursuit by Dunhill

It doesn't smell remotely soapy to me. I did buy it because I found it to be a good smell, and always usually having good luck with Dunhill Colognes(except Pure, which I bought blindly and regretted down the line), I bought it(2 yrs ago for only $17.77 at a Superstore), and baffled with that price, I had to do it. Needless to say, I flew through the bottle because it had piss-poor longevity. Had they made the smell cling they'd have had a winner for sure. Very unique and classy smell, thus the neutral rating.

26 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 May, 2013)

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

This clean and soapy fellow
    Of lavender just sings,
    And silky green and yellow
    Is the ambience he brings.

The angels must have sired him
    Beneath their laurel wings;
    The ladies all admired him
    And dreamed of wondrous things.

And then he soothes with honey
    The sweaty fate of man;
    I'll bet you any money
    It's Paco H. Rabanne.

cpk's avatar

Greece Greece

Impérial Opoponax by Les Néréides

Previous reviews have said it all. All I have to add is that this is what Obsession Men could 've been had the people who decided to market it have had better taste.

27 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 October, 2009)

cpk's avatar

Greece Greece

Fleur Poudrée de Musc by Les Néréides

A trully unique concept. A floral but sour openning, a combination that never fails to captivate me, delicate but with a strong presence. Then what you least expect kicks in. A good strong oldfashioned musk. The real thing. Starts on the femine side of unisex, jumps into the masculine to waltz back to the middle of the range. Scentemental says it brings to mind Arome 3 and that just adds another one in my to-sample list. The only thing that drustrates me is that longevity is way below average but I think that this is due to me being anosmic to some types of musc. The way my clothes smell the day after the application is beyond description though....

jrd4t's avatar

Dans Tes Bras by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I can't really say much about this because it left me pretty unaffected and indifferent. I guess "it is what it is," but unfortunately, that wasn't much to get excited about. I wore it today and it certainly didn't smell bad, but there was nothing about it to warrant anything but a lackadaisical neutral rating. It's a pleasant skinscent, but there are many better ones out there.

Serafim Jorge's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Esencia Loewe by Loewe

Amazing, one of the best frag for man in the market
    Tope notes with bergamot and lemon.
    Middle notes lavender
    Base note sandalwoods,vetiver,amber and musk.
    Strong,clean and suave at same time.
    Better for guys more than 40.
    Nice for all seasons.
    Fantástic fragance everybody must try and use it.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Poison by Christian Dior

On first sniff, I smelled a high volume jasmine-tuberose that was effervescent and unnatural. I put the card down, satisfied at having smelled something that fit the infamy bill.

Ten minutes later, I went back to the store and retrieved the card.

The next day or so I just couldn't stop smelling it. There was something endlessly fascinating about it to me. Was it floral? Was it fruity? Was it oriental? Was it gourmand? Whatever it was, it grew on me until today, when I returned and sprayed some on my skin.

Here is how it smells to my nose.

The first thing out is a powerful jasmine and tuberose accord. It doesn't really smell like either flower does in real life, but is anchored in qualities of both flowers. Aside from that, the first things noticeable are a loud fruity note redolent of grape crush, cinnamon, and a small dab of methyl salicylate. The latter is no-where near as powerful as in Tubereuse Criminelle, but does much to offset the overwhelming sweetness of the top notes. I think it, plus the grape, are the "cough syrup" smell many comment on. These top notes are both fascinating and revolting.

I applied the tiniest dab, but the sillage... oh boy, is it something else. Spray this in Mumbai and it'll clime Mount Everest.

The heart is the best part of this fragrance for me. The fruitiness calms down and changes from grape to blackberry or rather blackberry compote, pulpy and sweet. The jasmine-tuberose core dominates less and a certain spiciness comes forward, like allspice or clove, together with a warm musk that didn't show on paper. I find the balance of the various qualities extremely pleasing, and the sillage more manageable.

In the base, which emerges around the five to six hour mark on me, the fruits and flowers take a surprising leave of absence and what's left is a warm, musky amber with faint woody and vanillic touches. It's quiet here; almost a skin scent.

Poison, at least the EdT strength I tried, isn't a longevity monster on me. It lasts about ten to twelve hours. Such a small amount is needed - I applied a miniscule dab - that this is more than adequate.

Forget everything you think you know about this fragrance and give it a try. It just may surprise you. But remember... you only need a little!!!

Girdag's avatar

Black Jeans by Versace

I really don't like the opening at all. Chemically, strong, a bit all over the place. Then it dries down to the most wonderful thing I've ever smelt. Brilliant longevity, and the drydown is just so nice I find myself sniffing at it all day. Persist with this if you don't like it initially, the drydown is DEFINITELY worth it.

Girdag's avatar

Story by Paul Smith

Nice, green, understated scent. The ivy definitely gives it a certain something, though. I like it, my partner loves it. Definitely worth trying.

SirSlarty's avatar

David Yurman Eau de Parfum by David Yurman

This would be nice in a Glade air freshener.

Bigsly's avatar

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

Great juice! This may be really dependent upon skin chemistry. If someone told me this one was made for me, I'd believe it! And it lasts forever, 12 hours or more (but again, that might not be the case for you). My "mind's nose" is teased for hours by the great dynamism of this fragrance. It may not be "challenging," nor break new ground in any other way, but the simple dynamism of this fragrance is as good as it gets. I would have dismissed this one as bland and boring a year ago, so I'm glad to have obtained a bottle at this point in my olfactory understanding. Now, most of the time, I don't want to be "challenged," but instead want to enjoy the fragrance, and TFFM fits this job description perfectly (no I was not paid to write this! LOL).

27 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 May, 2009)

Vanisia by Creed

Sounds like an ice-cream or a science-fiction character. Beautifully blended spicy, creamy vanilla that lasts for ever -- I could detect on the test card 24 hours later. A lush oriental with a lovely drydown using sandalwood as a pin. I am not sure whether I would feel totally comfortable wearing although it can't be described as a strictly powdery floral, which is my benchmark for gender crossovers. Hmmmm.

Vanilia by L'Artisan Parfumeur

There is a smokey, spicy edge to this vanilla that prevents it from becoming cloying and on my skin lasts for ages. Spray this on one hand and Givenchy's Pi on the other -- you will detect the difference in class and skill involved. I disagree regarding when to wear -- I think it suits the summer perfectly. Not an everyday scent imo, but lovely to wear occasionally. The L'Artisan 50ml bottles all have pretty nasty clear plastic tops now though -- must be feeling the pinch.

Sweet Lime and Cedar by Jo Malone

The lime note here is wonderful and hangs on tenaciously right through to the end (inhale deeply and you will find it after 8 hours) -- in fact I don't get much spice at all, it seems to me a full on citrus fragrance, but with a nice woody bottom. This doesn't sound all that groundbreaking, but wearing it is a different matter -- on my skin it purrs. I also prefer it to the Basil and Lime fragrance. Linear as usual from JM, but with this it's of no account. Really nice.

Kohdo Wood Collection: Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone

This comes in a black bottle to accentuate the 'dark' aspect I suppose. I'm not sure why it is categorised as feminine -- it seems pretty unisex to me. It has a spicy incensey feel right from the start with the lily joining in later -- all very funereal. The ginger isn't that strong to me, but I have trouble identifying that note amongst other spices anyway. The best is yet to come though with the fabulous amber rendition kicking in at the bottom-- similar to the one in Cavalli Black -- so very sexy. A real return to form for this House imo. You need to seek this one out.

Tony T's avatar

Happy by Clinique

safe fresh i just washed my hair and i feel casual with a sexual feel and appeal also.in the same realmas cool water and a definate safe pick.

Tony T's avatar

Very Sexy Hot by Victoria's Secret

fruity and oriental. a definate masterpiece that should be worn by more ladies. fall/winter scent with heavy patchouli and peony.

MFJ's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

This is one of the most under-rated scents. old-school it may be, but it is definitely up there with the likes of eau sauvage imo, and much much cheaper

Bo Darville's avatar

Bahiana by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Everyone else pretty much nails the description of this scent (even the "syrupy," "fruit salad," "weird buttered popcorn" note, which turned out to be my favorite aspect!), so I won't bother. What I will say is that, although this certainly smells nice, I'm just not blown away by it; it doesn't come close to emotionally engaging me. I suppose my main misgiving is that it's simply too subtle and wispy. Of course, wearing this in 90% humidity on a summer day will help. Even so, I won't be getting too worked up over a frag that is so narrow in its applicability.

FWIW, while I tend not to care about masculine/feminine scent labels, I am admittedly sensitive to unabashed femininity in frags. No problems here - Bahiana is definitely 1000% unisex.

27 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 January, 2010)

robpmgc's avatar

Happy for Men by Clinique

The shortest duration of any fragrance that I have ever tried. I've never even had a cologne or aftershave that disappeared this fast, Eau d'Hermes lasts 4 times as long as this does. Absolutely unacceptable IMO.

winterdaisy's avatar

Cool Water Woman by Davidoff

Just bought it yesterday, as a heat wave was sweeping across the East Coast. I figured it'd make a good scent for the warmer days. So far, I like it. Nothing too original, but pleasant, fresh. Some days I don't want to stand out. I put it on at 9 a.m. and it's now 9 p.m. I can still smell it, although it's pretty weak now. Overall pretty satisfied with the purchase. Not the scent that will make you feel special, though.

Ramiro's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera

Its so simple, it smells like soap, doesnt smell bad but i'd prefer to buy something better