Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

renifleur's avatar

Photo by Lagerfeld

As much as I tried to like this one, it always reminded me of mosquito spray and gave me an intense headache.

Wight's avatar

Slovakia Slovakia

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I think this fragrance is truly classy; very-well balanced, clean, manly and gentle at the same time, slightly sweet / floral but by no means cloying. I have noticed that YSL - L'Homme doesn't come out too favourably when compared with the likes of Dior's Homme or Guerlain's L'Instant pour Homme but I actually prefer it to these too. For me it is more subtle, more personal, and I like it that way.

bobhope's avatar

Escale à Portofino by Christian Dior

This is very nice. I really liked it. I'd buy it again.

tannicteeth's avatar

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

This is a distinctive scent that slices though a room full of other people. It's fresh, sweet and supple.

It's also a fragrance of a former lover, who whenever I smell it on someone else fall helplessly back into my lovestruck days.

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A very typical Serge Lutens but among the least looney. Not over the top. Or at least not over the top for Serge though we still get the trademark honey schtick. Women would probably like this one--on themselves. And of course on a man they love.
    But then the same could be said for Musc Ravageur, M7, JHL, most amber scents, and any one of hundreds of other sweet frags that are considered hip and cool. (Somehow I can't envision Coty's Raw Vanilla making the grade but Tauer's whatchamacallit in French desert is a shoo in) Lutens has found his niche.

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Maple syrup? No, wait. That's Miracle Homme. What we have here is an odd duck of an amber with a funky herbal/wood harsh note that makes one wonder if it was intended to make it 'dirty' in the sense that MKK is a'dirty' musk. Or perhaps it's just meant to erase any accusations of being cloying? I don't know but this is sugar sweet and --Naw, not dark. Not amber noire, just amber . . . funky. On the brighter side, no one can accuse this one of having low sillage or poor longevity.
    I'll pass.

iMaverick's avatar

Histoire d'Eau by Mauboussin

I can totally relate to uandimeme's relation to Serge Lutens' Daim Blond--to a certain extent.

Histoire d'Eau is much like a suede (daim) scent, but the way this scent executes is awfully harsh with this underlying bitter medicinal undertone.

Histoire's lofty notes are very much like Daim Blond, probably because it does smell like the apricot pits of Daim Blond, but pondering on this further, I think an aldehyde note is used rather than a true leather note that's putting this scent into wack and preventing it from giving forth its clarity.

The scent smells better as the aldehydes slowly melt away, but not by much more.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Chloé (new) by Chloé

This new Chloe' is a potent lady! It lasts forever on me and, I sadly admit, it can wear me down. This Chloe is completely different from the original, and I'm irritated that KL didn't come up with a brand new moniker for this flower...even the color scheme leads one to believe they are related, but the geneology is in name only. This new release is heavy on the peony & cedar. I've recently learned that cedar comes to my nose in the form of "pepper" ~ and there's plenty here! This one feels like a 1980's creation, big & bold. I like to use the scented shower gel and lotion, they seem to be enough for my taste...adding the edp is for the brave only! I have to give it a neutral, because over a couple of hours my nose tires a bit...it's not for the meek.

tvlampboy's avatar

273 Rodeo Drive by Fred Hayman

Loud and beautiful and affordable all at once -- imagine combining the fruity peach notes of Trésor, the white florals of Sung and the warm, powdery notes of White Shoulders.

Big thumbs up, especially for the embarrassingly modest price.

coastfansocal's avatar

Kohdo Wood Collection: Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone

This is a very nice scent, smooth, warm, amber...so inviting and lush. Very masculine, Along with the Amber&Lavender , and the "Vetyver" by JM this is probably her most refined and distinct men's scent.

The only problem is that its a dead ringer for "Black Walnut" at Banana Republic . Seriously, go to your local Banana Republic in the mall, smell the "Black Walnut " and then smell the Dark Amber and Ginger Lily. They are so close in comparison its almost scary.

Dark Amber and Ginger Lily is great but for the money and longer lasting cologne...Black Walnut by Banana Republic sounds pretty good. Especially in this terrible Recession of 2009

nthny's avatar

Santal de Mysore by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Santal de Mysore opens with an aggressive sweetness, but if one can hold on for a few moments, it rewards its wearer by transforming beautifully into a delicious, luxurious, undulating blanket of textures and sensations. The combination of creamy sandalwood densely packed with dry Indian spices enveloped by a layer of rich sweetness that in my mind's eye takes on an almost glowing, hot red hue is enough to put this guy "a swoonin'." A fantastic example of the Lutens esthetic.

nthny's avatar

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Allow me to reiterate the notes in my own review: currants, white honey, candied Turkish rose, Egyptian jasmine, smoked leather, beeswax, Balkan tobacco, Peru balsam, patchouli, tonka bean, styrax, juniper, and vanilla. I had to do that because when I look at those notes it is like reading poetry to me.

I can only describe Fumerie Turque as it occurs to me and what I sense is a very tightly constructed, compact and dense incense fragrance. Not incense as a note of course, but rather, a composition which might yield the perfume used to scent incense meant to be burned. For me the impression of Fumerie Turque is that of an ever so slightly smoked sweet amber mixed with an earthy, leathery, tobacco accord. A beautiful and contemplative fragrance.

loveless's avatar

Taiwan Taiwan

LouLou by Cacharel

This perfume is rude. That's the first thing came to me when i tried for the first time. But however, a vulgar, but amazingly beautiful one. We all once in a while meet someone like Loulou in our real life. Does not pretend, so very honest and passionate.

A very unique fragrance, on me the smell of iris/lily and incense/vanilla is especially strong, creating a wonderfully strange "innocence vs. decadence" dichotomy.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Vierges & Toreros by Etat Libre d'Orange

A castoreum note melded to a flat, synthetic so-called tuberose note. There's something smoky and bitter I can't identify, too. The entire fragrance smells unnatural and not in a fun way.

Not horrible, but a combination of boring and unpleasant gives this a thumbs down.

Like most others of this house, the sillage and longevity are quite good.

Merbert's avatar

Tabu by Dana

When I was a very young child, I detested Tabu. I also hated root beer and associated one with the other. It is now clear that, as a child, I knew nothing about drydown and that the scent of a perfume changes over time. So, 50 years later, I gave a fresh vintage bottle of Tabu a try. Sure enough, sickly sweet root beer scent hit me between the eyes, bringing a flashback to my youth, sneaking a sniff of the stuff on my aunt's dresser. There was also the smell of sour cat urine. I patiently waited for the drydown which seemed to take forever. After what seemed like over an hour, I was left with a hot and dirty Oriental that, I confess, isn't half bad. Would I buy it? No. Do I understand why it has remained on the shelves for so long? Most certainly.

28th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 18th August, 2010)

Bigsly's avatar

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

I think the problem I had with this one is that by the time I sampled it I had already come to enjoy fragrances like Michael for Men (Kors) and Trussardi Python (the "women's), and by comparison Egoiste is crude and has an un-natural quality. I really don't find anything appealing about it, though I often like something about a fragrance I don't enjoy enough to buy. I wonder if this is related to the fact that it dates back to 1990, when a lot of fragrances had these unappealing qualities, from what I've experienced. This is a must sample first fragrance. To be fair to other fragrances I've reviewed, I must give this one a negative. I can certainly understand why some feel that this has a "bugspray" or "medicinal" quality, though for me it is the crude and un-natural elements that doom it. If you feel the same way, I suggest trying Burberry London for men, for example, but it depends upon which notes you want to predominate.

28th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 27th May, 2009)

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Oud Cuir D'Arabie by Montale

The opening I could skip. This is the kind of frag you spray an hour before you go out so that you could get to the wonderful heart and base notes.

Once you get to the heart notes you discover a wonderfully fresh/light leather fragrance that is by no means weak. It's a rich brown leather that is tempered by the infused floral notes.

After a few hrs of the heart notes, we get to the base of this wonderful scent. It's my favorite part. I enjoy this take on leather because it smells like a person's skin, but better. It doesn't smell like you're wearing a fragrance, it just smells like your skin except better.

I definately recommend this scent, I'm pretty sure I will be getting a full bottle of this.

tanto's avatar

Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan

I bought this in Nov '73, when it first came out. It made for many hot times. Women loved this on a guy. It's real simple but clean smelling. To this day, I still like it!

28th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th July, 2009)

Nukapai's avatar

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

The marketing blurbs go on about musicians and cool stuff.

This is what I got instead: a Finnish coffee shop with a mug of filter coffee by the cup that's been left on the hotplate for a little bit too long, so you start getting the burnt/metallic edge to it. Next to your cup of coffee, you have a huge freshly made cinnamon bun (korvapuusti), still warm from the oven.

That is the scent, from beginning to almost the very end, until patchouli and vanilla begin to dominate and the coffee/cinnamon elements have almost vanished. This has worn well on my skin, but I imagine it would smell lovely on a man too. Feels nicely unisex and just inedible enough not to cross the line to sickly.

Incredible! New Haarlem = kahvi ja pulla (coffee & bun)! I do like it a lot and keep sniffing it because it's entertaining, but I don't know whether I'd want to smell of a Finnish coffee shop with cinnamon buns. It's certainly a lot of fun - and for me, being from Finland originally, a touch of welcome (if completely accidental) nostalgia.

drummerboy20's avatar

True Religion for Men by True Religion

UUUUPDATE!!!!!! I love it....very young but smooth and fresh citrusy. love it!

28th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 16th September, 2009)

varvara's avatar

Ma Liberté by Jean Patou

Really??? I'm the first to review this incredible perfume from Patou?
    In a word, seduction. I was first introduced to the house of Patou with the very gorgeous and different 1000. I was hooked.
    Monsieur Patou, where had he been all my life? I moved on to Joy (heaven), Sira Des Indes (sweet gourmandy escape).
    I searched for his collection and got Adieu Sagesse (spicy warm) and Divine Folie (dark rose floral).
    Ma Liberte is the latest but not the last. This is so warm and smooth! This is such a contradiction but a man can easily wear this.
    the notes that I get the most out of this are the lavender, musk and cedar. the drydown is a powdery wood. oh, of course the clove is there too. but a touch, like a soft baby breath.
    maybe this is crazy but this reminds me of a bare bones/non synthetic obsession after shave scent.
    i have the edt and the lasting power is amazing. this really turns into a skin scent, so be careful who you wear this around.
    if i could give this 10 thumbs up, i would

Apicius's avatar

Germany Germany

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

I do not like fig scents, but I like vetivers. Here, the vetiver is perfectly balanced by the fig, resulting in a somewhat odd, but elegant and IMO quite unique fragrance. It is definetely not a clone of Guerlain's or any other straightforward vetiver. Instead, it is an attempt to reduce the harshness of genuine vetyver. Although the approach is different, I would put in in a row with Annick Goutals' Vetyver, Montales' Red Vetyver Terre d'Hermes and maybe Kenzoair. Very well done!

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Monsieur Carven by Carven

An uncommonly intoxicating and sexy scent. I seldom use the word sexy to describe a scent but Monsieur Carven thoroughly deserves the title. The combination of civet (which is obvious from the top note to the end) and mossy leather creates a most unusual and timeless scent that still commands great respect and can stand tall among the greatest men's perfume today.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette Légère by Guerlain

I'm quite shy to admit that I can't really tell the difference between the original and the Légère version. Light this is not. The sillage is equally vivid and the longevity impressive. Many hours on my skin and I'm still smelling it. Absolutely wonderful!

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Acqua di Giò pour Homme. Quite good summer fragrance . But it is no more... Such it is a lot of.

hannahk's avatar

Ralph Hot by Ralph Lauren

I can definitely pick up on the vanilla, maple, and sandalwood, as well as the musky flower smell. This is one of my favorite perfumes and I wear it almost every day. I think it smells even better after I've been wearing it for awhile.. I would describe it as a woodsy wildflower. The best part is that this stuff sticks to you and lasts forever.

Cutecthulu's avatar

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

On first trying Pink Sugar, I thought, "Why do they call this Pink when it's so orange? I guess Orange Sugar isn't girly enough." For about ten minutes, I felt woozy from the sweet, sweet, sweet orange cotton candy scent. Then the pink showed up-- that horrid artificial strawberry that belongs on scratch 'n sniff stickers, not in a perfume. To be avoided by anyone over the age of fourteen, or under it, for that matter.

megatropolis's avatar

Lyric Man by Amouage

Omg......This is a beautiful scent!!! It is the best rose I ever smelled!!!! It is so pretty, yet so manly....I love it! Rose at its best!

Narguile's avatar

Absinthe by Slatkin

I can't better Somerville Metro Man's review of this, so I won't dare try. But it is spot on, and I can tell you this fragrance has a magnetism about it that reeled in the compliments like no scent I've owned before or since. It can be too much, and needs to be worn sparingly... years of dabbing on what was left of a large decant made for ample application. But, oh so lovely and dark!

derad's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Mandragore by Annick Goutal

I got sprayed with Mandragore randomly at the perfume boutique and later that day realised there's something to it. Tried it again and decided to purchase it. Fast forward >> two months later and my 100 ml (3.4 fl.oz) bottle is less than half empty. And i have and use LOT of perfumes :)
    This is a love for life. The drydown makes me want to kiss my skin. Fresh, elegant, clean, elevating scent. Very sexy as well.

28th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 12th July, 2009)