Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

Higher by Christian Dior

A fruity three star scent which according to 'The Basenotes Says' info is:

"The latest male launch from Dior, 4 years on from Dune for Men. Desgned (sic) for the youth market,

( My guess is 15 year olds--or former users Aqua di Gio which really amounts to the same thing )

this is very fresh

( What! The young are buying fresh scents at the mall? Stop the presses!)

and has an eye catching bottle."

Still, I'd like to give it a thumbs up for ebullience ( um--did I spell that right?) it reminds me of Clinique Happy, Quasar and Paco's XS, only with pears. I'd like to but . . .

28 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 April, 2011)

carlos-uk's avatar

Freshman by Truefitt & Hill

02/01/13: I revisited this today. I was in a rush this morning and looking for something to spray and this was sitting there looking all forgotten and insecure. I think it's the dry down of this that marks it out from both GIT and Cool Water. Initially it sits in between both. It doesn't have the richness or wow factor of GIT or the more aquatic side of Cool Water. It's like a strange hybrid. That settles down however to a more floral theme that honestly I feel is rather unisex. It's still pleasant never the less. I might give Floris JF a spin as that seems to be lumped in with this lot as well.

28/04/09: Journeyman has hit this one square on the nose with his review. This is VERY similar to Cool Water (though it smells better than the current formulation) and VERY close to Green Irish Tweed (which is my all time favourite). This is my first Truefitt and Hill fragrance and one of the things that has impressed me is the ingredients listed on the side of the box. It's the most honest list for a fragrance I've ever read on a box and it simply says; Alcohol Denat, Aqua, Bergamot Oil, Lemon Oil, Rosemary Oil, Petigrain Oil, Menthol. That's it! What's remarkable about Freshman for me is that it may in fact pre-date Green Irish Tweed and that meens that Creed's No1 selling men's fragrance is in fact.....an expensive copy!! I've owned Green Irish Tweed and fell head over heels in love with it and I do believe that Freshman edges slightly closer to this than it does Cool Water. Whatever it's date of birth, I'm a massive Green Irish Tweed fan so Freshman is a winner for me. I recommend it to all!

28 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 02 January, 2013)

Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake

A sharp grapefruit opening, about one minute of peace and calm, then a civet note kicks in to make it more surly or intimidating than most grapefruits frags. Best comment? It's better made than Memorie d'Homme by Ricci. Worst comment? It's not intimidating, just mildly annoying. Pass.

Rose by Czech & Speake

Well, it does smell like a rose.
    Moreover, it's not synthetic-cheap, good quality though completely linear.
    A good Mother's Day present, I think.
    Is there a Grandmother's Day?

Dark Rose by Czech & Speake

This one's for Julie in Truffaut's adaptation of ' The Bride Wore Black ' as she goes from one revenge murder to the next. Not bad for Morticia Addams either, or for any sophisticated woman that's into Madame Butterfly or, for a shorter and more upbeat piece of music, Siegfried's Funeral March. Young goth Suicide Girls must not be ignored, either.
    If this sounds much too sarcastic, permit me to be the first to acknowledge that this is really a well blended 'semi-oud' scent---as previously pointed out by these excellent reviewers. An acquired taste indeed, but objectively: It's a YES.

Attar by Montale

The opening of this rose scent has been described as medicinal and sharp, which is true enough, though I would add boozey as well.
    This is one drunk rose. Odd to think of booze and roses together, but there it is. The sandalwood gives it depth, and I'm in agreement with Pigeon Murderer that this definitely leans toward the feminine side.
    Montale is full of surprises, isn't it?

Vetyver by Carlo Corinto

A truly wonderful opening, aching with elusive memories. Dame Edith's conservatory ("amid the tiger-purring greenery")? The french windows opening onto the summer night garden of an abandoned country house? The long, empty schoolroom with its wooden floorboards and the silent laughter of dead children? I'll keep it with mine. (de Charlus).

Nino Cerruti by Cerruti

The ecstatic opening sparkle: like rolling down a joyful bank of flowers, grasses, and precious minerals! Then the long, slow, sweet embrace of its development - pure, light, sensuous, wondrous and warm. A magnificent scent, my masters! (de Charlus).

Pour Un Homme by Caron

My lavender companion, always so welcome, how you greet me with those pure, clear, pale green eyes. "As lavender must, such a spiritual herb." "But why do you lead me now through the ugliness of this acrid slum? The smell is quite putrid, like stale sweat ... Is it the clary sage?" "Just a fleeting detour, my dear. Endure it, for soon we will emerge to the mansion." "Ah, now I see - that big, beautiful house, seemingly conjured from a cloud of vanilla and powder (but still with that acrid undertone). Strange how it seems to fix and fuse the very essence of your lavender dream ... But who are these people gathering there?" "Oh, statesmen and boxers and poets and such. All men of taste and distinction. None can resist my charms." (de Charlus).

Diorella by Christian Dior

Briefly it's a citrusy, flowery and fruity fragrance.
    The citrus opening is somehow overpowering, but soon tamed by the mellow and subtle flowery notes. The fruity notes are quite dominant for the drydown.

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

The jasmine notes are very dominant, as it appears on every stage as the frag develops from the opening to the drydown. Longevity is truly excellent. The lingering drydown notes is exactly the same smell of the flower, either still on the tree or plucked. Great!

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

This is one of Dior's worst frags line.
    Nothing new to offer, too safe for a frag creation, which is lack of characters, and somehow the notes are basically citrus.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Chloé (original) by Chloé

Chloe' (the 1975 original) is a treasure from its' time. I don't personally choose to wear it though...mostly because to my nose it shares the same character as Dior's original Poison ~ which I prefer. It doesn't carry the frujty aspect of Poison, but the spiced floral punch are equally dominant & satisfyingly good in both! This is a rich and bold floral, with a spicy sandalwood drydown. It is VERY pretty & VERY feminine, and shares only the same name with the new release.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Halle by Halle Berry

If you love Victor & Rolf's Flowerbomb, this one will suffice as a "wallet friendly" substitute! Tried this one on at Kohl's Dept. store, it is a slightly more honeyed & vanillic take on Flowerbomb. I will give it a thumbs up because it smells good ~ is wearable ~ and is reasonably priced.

encarnacion2's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

I am agree with TONYSOPRANO and HEAWNS...."Good lasting power and sillage" until this side of Tropico inclusive, very good fragrance smells something in the line of: Curve Crush, Swiss Army Altitude, Perry Ellis 18 and others more.
    IMO Better than its Stepbrother (Le Eau D Issey) less overpower, overwhelming and intoxicant.

mexicano's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

This schent reminds me of my Father: world adventurer, fiancier, post WWII generation. Sophisticated in an old school type of way.

scentsitivity's avatar

1776 Russian Leather by Elsha

This is a decent, reasonably priced leather fragrance. The opening is a bit sweeter than I like for a leather centered fragrance, but the dry down is quite pleasant, with smooth leather and ambery overtones.

scentsitivity's avatar

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

An incredibly realistic oak scent, with a touch of sweetness and a bit smoke. The only thing I dislike is for a short period I get a somewhat earthy tone that detracts from the oak effect. Long lasting and rather intense. I struggle with Chene: I love smelling it, but is it how I want to smell? I don’t think I will buy a bottle currently, but I certainly like it enough to give it a thumbs up.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Rasa by Ava Luxe

REVIEW FOR THE EXTREME VERSION:

Well, diversity of taste can only broaden the spectrum of art...!

This went from my most-hated fragrance to one I quite like. The top notes are loud, warm, searing and very dirty; perhaps the most vivid musk I've encountered in Western perfumery ( though still very much a meek lamb compared with Ajmal's Musk Gazelle ). The top notes can smell quite fecal initially.

Gradually the fragrance cools down and becomes a rough musk and civet blend, with a pleasant rose balancing it out. All in all fairly simple and linear, but quite pleasing and surprisingly transparent for a genre known for "thick" scents.

If what you want is a simple, loud, animalic musk, this is for you. After the first blast it's quite wearable, and recommended for anyone exploring the wild ones of the musk genre.

bluelit8's avatar

L'Eau de L'Artisan by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Contrary to some of the other reviews here, I find that l'eau de l'Artisan progresses through three quite distinct stages, rather an accomplishment for a fragrance that maintains its light eau de toilette quality throughout. The topnotes are a bouquet of bright, fresh, green herbs. Soon after the fragrance settles into a grassy, almost hay-like middle stage that is almost totally devoid of sweetness. In the drydown, the verbena finally comes to dominate and the fragrance finishes off with a touch of sweetened lemon. It is definitely drier and less moist than Eau de Guerlain, probably its closest counterpart, but a wonderful fragrance for lovely spring days.

29 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th July, 2009)

Bigsly's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

I hate lavender gourmands (Chinatown, Animale Animale for men, Rochas Man) because they really nauseate me, and this one is no exception. However, it also has a synthetic quality that makes it even worse, and it's boring too. There are just too many better alternatives now, such as Ciel Mon Jardin or Amour de Cacao, to take this one seriously. I can't speak to longevity because I can't deal with it for any significant length of time. I also can't imagine this one working with anybody's skin chemistry (unless your skin just "eats it up" and you don't smell anything), so sample first and see how others respond to it. This is one of the most unbalanced fragrances from a major house that I've ever sampled.

Tony T's avatar

Sunset Voyage by Nautica

a light tropical bland mix. lasts an hour or so and is completely for the wearer's enjoyment. farbetter scents with longevity such as bermuda tonic and burberry summer.

Eau de Charlotte by Annick Goutal

It's delicious, from first sniff to drydown. Like L'eau Hadrien, it works in every season, but opens up wonderfully on bare skin in the sunlight. Hard to be blue when you smell this.

Violetta by Penhaligon's

It's cool, delicious and keeps me happy all day. Nicer than La Violette by Annick Goutal.

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

This has been my favorite for 15 years. It works in any season, and its ability to fade fairly quickly, which I think is related to the purity of ingredients used, is only a reason to carry a spritzer and refresh it throughout the day. A joy.

The Unicorn Spell by LesNez

Loved this. It's cool, green, dark, and crisp. Wouldn't be without it.

Pulp by Byredo

Very powerful, very sweet, a little goes a long way. Lasts a long time, which considering the price, is a good thing.

Aznavour's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Tiaré-Mimosa by Guerlain

A close cousin of SummerbyKenzo, only with less sunblock. A powdery mimosa opening progresses into a brief but nice tiare moment (not super-realistic, but alright), then becomes a mimosa musk with a hint of the tiare/gardenia remaining to add some depth. Really good lasting power for an AA.

I enjoyed this. Not amazing nor original but by virtue of not being another watery AA, it's automatically less boring. It has some personality; I found it flirty and girly, in a pastel yellow style, and should entertain the wearer enough for its price. Would be a good accessory for a summer date.

's avatar

Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne

After reading the reviews here, I headed straight to the Ormond Jayne store when I found myself in London recently. The Isfarkand scent doesn't disappoint. I was curious about the pink pepper note and it's great: it could add a bit of mystique to the smell, but the designer has kept it down to earth with citrus on the top and ceddar at the bottom. The result is a surprisingly light and refreshing perfume. When I wear it, it feels like it's hardly there, there's just a bit of luxury atmosphere enveloping me. Isfarkand has instantly earned itself a spot in my top and I use it frequently on good occasions.

's avatar

Canali Men by Canali

This is the sample that started everything for me. I went to the shop to buy a new deo and they gave me a couple of samples. I never really was into fragrances before this, but for the last year, I've learned and smelt a lot. All thanks to the Canali sample.

It is quite flowery with maybe a little dash of citrus to make it even fresher. The flowery notes that are in here aren't heavy, either: just light hints of delicate flowers with very subtle and sweet scents. Lovely ! The result is a smell that I would wear in very warm weather: every sniff would remind me of cooler places. I'm guessing that's what perfume factories are trying to achieve with the marine drab they churn out, but those don't work. I don't like the smell of stale puddles or rotten seaweed on me. I never thought I'd like a flowery fragrance, either, but Canali men is so light and lovely it is adorable.

Canali men makes me want to dress in one of my better suits and walk the city. Other great fragrances have that effect on me, too.