Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

's avatar

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

At first, I didn't smell anything at all. Now it's settled into something that smells like a stale swimming pool, or like somebody who's been in the sea for too long, or like slightly rotten seaweed. It smells very cliché like an actor from the Dukes of Hazard. Not very enjoyable at all. In fact, I find it rather sickening. I've got two samples but they'll end up in the dustbin real soon.

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

Dunhill Fresh by Dunhill

nice smelling , a colleague of mine used to wear this fragrance and it was really good at him ...i dont know about longivity ...but i'll give a thumb up for the nice smell ....

Andyjreid's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Wellington Cologne by Geo F Trumper

This is going to be a biased review because I love this. I had a sample which was shut away in a cupboard and forgotten about till a thread was brought up on here and I got it out and tried it. Ended up buying a 30ml bottle of this and I have to say It had instantly gone down as one of my top 5 of all time.

The lemon burst at the start is perfect for first thing in the morning (and a boost during the day) but what really gets me about this is the aristocratic smell in the dry down. It stays well on my clothes and it is comforting. It continuously feels refreshing whenever you smell it during the day and it turns into a very complex cologne.

The only bad thing I could say about this is that I'd prefer it to last longer but thats a trait of cologne and I can put up with it and re-apply because this is summer in a bottle for me.

Andyjreid's avatar

Scotland Scotland

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Sitting on the fence on this one really. I love the opening of this fragrance it's very woody and to me it almost smells like the cedar wood you get in cigar tubes/boxes so there may be a slight tobacco note in this. However it dries town to an incense level which I also like but then, to me, it sort of morphs into a strange rubbery smell which really disagrees with me.

I think for the price you could find better

Utkuak's avatar

Finland Finland

Blu Mediterraneo Tuscan Cypress / Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma

Cipresso di Toscana is part of Acqua di Parma's Blu Mediterraneo product range, which contains several product families with an aromatherapy aspect build into them. A woman who was telling people about Acqua di Parmas's products at my local store told me that the areas mentioned in the fragrance names tell you where the natural ingredients used in the product come from. If that is correct, the ingredients used in Cipresso di Toscana do truly come from Tuscany. That sounds neat.

On my skin the opening smells very herbal and is really intense, but after about 30 seconds the herbs quickly fade away and the scent starts to settle to a much less intense cypress note. From here on there isn't much development at least on my skin. All the notes smell very "real", because natural ingredients have been used like in all of Acqua di Parma's products. Longevity is quite good on my skin. I'm not sure how long that is however, but I'd say that it's at least a couple of hours. Sillage can be a problem, though, so apply a few more sprays at the beginning or reapply later.

Of the Blu Mediterraneo line Cipresso di Toscana is most clearly an aromatherapy product. I find it hard to think of this as a fragrance that I would use when I go out to be with other people. This isn't an elegant fragrance that would make a good impression on someone. My recommendation is to use this on a warm summer day when you go sit under the sun. When you close you eyes and breath deep in it's not that hard to imagine being in Tuscany in the middle of green hills and trees. I'd like to give this one a positive rating, but it doesn't have enough to offer to truly deserve it. However, I do recommend everyone to try this and all the other products in the Blu Mediterraneo range.

topk's avatar

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

Very sophisticated and edgy mix of fresh citrus/grapefruit and exotic wood. Light and eminently wearable. Just awesome and totally unique.

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

This is a great perfume! Sparkling. My friend said it smells like roses. I can understand how some say it is similar to light blue, but this is more mature and just better. I feel confident when I wear this. All the girls wear this perfume in Korea, that's one reason I got it, to remind me of when I lived there. I feel this works in any season for just about any occasion. There is almost something like a man's cologne in it that makes it not typically girly and boring. The lasting power is great and I can always smell it on my clothes.

Stella by Stella McCartney

I usually don't like rose, but I love Stella. When it dries it has such a nice earthy and organic smell, and is still really pretty and not boring like a typical rose perfume for an old lady maybe. Lasting power is really good.

Monyette Paris by Monyette Paris

This is really beautiful, and is a fragrance I wouldn't mind smelling of. This is a long lasting oil that smells pretty realistic, not synthetic. It's floral, smooth, tropical and a little dark and exotic sexy. I think I would love it except for the suntan oil aspect, I guess from the coconut. Great lasting power. I love Coquette Tropique which is really fruity, flirty, sweet, and fun!
    Note- I have this natural Monoi de Tahiti oil that I got on ebay really cheap. I put some in my bath and can put it on my body to get a great scent. And the smell is pretty much the same as Monyette.

Miss Danielle by Ebba

This is a lush tropical white flower perfume. I like how it doesn't have a lot of notes in it, so it smells pure, not like some department store perfumes with 20 synthetic notes in them. This perfume takes a little while to set on your skin because it's an oil. After a while it's really pretty, pikaki that smells clean almost soapy. I don't think I could wear this often, like as a signature scent, but it would be nice for going out in the summer. Good lasting power.

Shanghai Butterfly by Nanette Lepore

I like the smell of this, similar to Light Blue, yes, but not as strong and without the impact. I had Light Blue a few years ago and loved it. I put this on and the smell is so faint. I'm pretty sure people can't smell anything on me. I will try to put this up for market when that wardrobe option becomes available.

Coquette Tropique by Monyette Paris

A fun, sweet tropical oil, I love it! At first it might smell a little cheap like an air freshener, but since it's an oil, give it time to melt into your skin and it's the best. Tropical white floral and fruity (like white flowers, peach and vanilla), and without a coconut note that is found in a lot of tropical oils. Boys always comment on this one. It doesn't smell as good to me in the winter. I think it's because it's too cold in Canada and the oil never really melts into my skin. This is a flirty scent for girls maybe under 25ish. Lasts all day.

Koolio1's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I got a little scared of buying it when I saw the price. But much to my enjoyment, it is worth all of the hype..

Koolio1's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

When I went to purchase this, they didn't have a tester. I didn't know which to choose from: Burberry Brit or Burberry London. I compared a couple of reviews and went with the Burberry London. I really have no idea about the different types of "notes" but I can say it from a simple review. When you first spray it on, it kinda smells bad. It's really spicy and cinnamony, and you can tell from the first spray. After about 15 minutes, the spiciness soothes down and goes into this refreshing, clean scent that really makes this fragrance enjoyable.

renae's avatar

Amarige by Givenchy

After searching high and low for 19 years, i finally stumbled across the perfect perfume for me.
    It wasn't too spicy, or too floral, just the right combination.
    It didn't turn sour on me, and the lingering scent was beautiful.

Truly suits my chemistry... one I think you have to wear for a week to decide if you like it.

Innoscent's avatar

McGraw by Tim McGraw

One whiff of this immediately reminded me of Stetson. Says it all.

mgrz's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Became addicted to this from smelling a scent strip in a magazine when it first came out and recently purchased the "deluxe" atomiser...I flat out LOVE this! Wore it on two interviews (just one spritz to the neck). It's pretty powerful stuff! Definite 8-hour longevity. An overall unique scent.

29th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 16th May, 2012)

Sentiment for Men by Escada

Fruity in a pineapple (I think from the jackfruit) sort of way with a slap in the face of some generic spices – particularly pepper and nutmeg. I often dislike synthetic fruity accords and Sentiment causes me to continue that tradition… The spices don’t work either except for providing a little more dullness to the already boring and cloying jackfruit. The generic vetiver and sandalwood of the base are completely overshadowed by the remnants of the opening and heart notes. The whole fragrance ends up cloying, synthetic, and pointless because absolutely nothing seems to work in it. Escada regularly churns out an awful lot of not very great fragrances, but they are usually better than this one.

Rock Crystal by Olivier Durbano

I would have to say that an excellent, lasting mineral accord is currently the fragrance discovery that I desire the most, and Rock Crystal comes excruciatingly close to fulfilling my wish. I love the mineral-like opening… The combination of citrus, spices, incense, and myrrh with possibly cedar and oakmoss thrown in the mix, creates a truly excellent mineral accord that, unfortunately, lasts only about five minutes. After the five minutes, the mineral accord moves on to become an adequate myrrh / incense accord. The short-livedness of Rock Crystal clearly exhibits the main problem with mineral accords: longevity… it seems impossible to get any kind of longevity out of this kind of composition. When the mineral accord is lost, also lost is the sillage. The heart and base of the fragrance – primarily composed of a bit of incense, moss, and myrrh with a dominance of vetiver – are both pleasant, soft, and discreet; the whole fragrance lacks projection and longevity. I question the classification of this scent as a feminine scent. Judging by the way it reacts on my skin, it could easily be considered masculine. I love the idea that Rock Crystal represents, and I sincerely regret that it is not quite successful enough in accomplishing an adequate longevity. I wanted so much that this be thumbs up… it is a valiant attempt, but it doesn’t quite make it for me.

Beyond Love by By Kilian

On paper I get a soft, pleasant, balanced green jamine / green tuberose; there’s a breadth and richness to the accord that makes it different from a more ordinary tuberose / green. It’s a truly beautiful accord, and it holds for hours without changing very much… it simply travels the direct path to becoming softer and more delicate. On paper Beyond Love shows itself to be a soft white floral green whose most identifiable characteristics are some undercurrents of a very nice animalic ambiance, the high quality of the ingredients, a shadow of ambergris in the drydown, and remarkable longevity – in other words, it is an excellent fragrance – on paper.

However, on my skin it’s a different fragrance: my skin immediately annihilates most of the floral elements and magnifies the green aspects of the opening / heart to a piercing degree. The sillage that emanates off my skin is sharply green. It’s not a bad or annoying note, but it is pretty generic… not very interesting. I believe that Beyond Love is the first tuberose fragrance I’ve tried that doesn’t work at all for me.

Liaisons Dangereuses by By Kilian

Liaisons Dangereuses opens with an amiable fruit accord – a little exotic… somewhat fresh… a bit tropical… extremely smooth. The accord is beautifully balanced and refined, so much so that I can’t separate out the individual notes in the silkily smooth accord. I don’t get much of the cinnamon or the ambrette seeds that are listed: I mainly get peaches and cream with a touch of coconut for a slightly exotic touch in the fruity silkiness. I can't find the geranium, but it could easily be there doing its thing in the smooth matrix. The Damascus rose stays somewhat in the background, so the heart notes come off as a pleasant fruity / slightly rosy accord that has become a little strained… a little stretched because of lack of augmentation... but it remains an excellent accord that would be improved simply with a stronger rose note: I don’t often ask for a stronger rose note in a fragrance, but for this particular rose note I’m making an exception. The drydown essentially escapes me except for remaining as a soft skin scent that retains the creaminess of the opening, some of the rosiness of the heart notes, and adding the base’s offering of some moss, some vanilla, and more than some white musk. I don’t care for the drydown primarily because I am always unimpressed by white musk accords. The opening and heart of this fragrance are accords that I admire and would soon learn to love, but the white musk drydown is anti-climactic and comes near to negating the entire experience of the superb opening and heart. Reluctant thumbs up. (Edit of 30 April 2009 review)

30th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th October, 2009)

Cruel Intentions by By Kilian

There does appear to be a several interesting things meant to happen in Cruel Intentions – I have a suspicion of that – but those intentions, regardless of how cruel they are or aren’t, are not carried out completely that I can tell. The hint of rose absolute that I catch, although sweet and lovely, primarily accomplishes only making me want a fuller, richer version of it – it’s a tease and I want MORE. The gaiacwood floats around delicately, ethereally for a while and then exits way too soon. The castoreum is there, but I can’t figure out how it fits in with the other notes. The vetiver and the papyrus are the elements that seem to be doing their proper jobs, and they provide a refined and elegant textured foundation to… What? I haven’t found the sandalwood yet. What I end up with is an excellent, full-spectrum miscellaneous wood scent with something of the sparkle... the gracenotes... missing. It is a desirable and well-put together fragrance, but I am missing the florals that were intended to complement those woods. It’s likely that my skin has swallowed up all the florals (as often happens). I like very much the idea and intent of the fragrance, but in actuality it just doesn’t work very well for me. It is not a substantial sillage producer, but it does stay for hours as an excellent close-to-the-skin scent. …Beautiful scent though – my trials of it on paper have shown it absolutely lovely: My problem with it resides with my skin’s uncooperativeness, not with the fragrance itself.

A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian

The opening reminds me of Nemo; this one is smoother and more refined, but I am definitely reminded. I find A Taste of Heaven a bit abstract and the heavenly taste comes through in a very delicious way – it gives off a credible sillage and is addictively sniffable. The “abstractness” of the opening is of bergamot, absinthe, geranium, lavender, and florals as far as I can identify. The accords are so smoothly blended that I wouldn’t have been able to identify anything but the lavender and absinthe without the note pyramid. The accords are exceptionally balanced and refined and the ingredients are of obviously superior quality. This unique, complex, soft, and unisex lavender fragrance is quite linear: It really doesn’t change much (I wouldn’t wish it to) except for gradually losing potency. It lasts over twenty-four hours as a close-to-the-skin scent… I can still detect a trace of it after showering. I admire and enjoy A Taste of Heaven very much.

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

An excellent cedar, rosewood and patchouli, backed up by a rich dried fruit and spice accord opening beautifully with a dry, strongly aromatic resinousness of the accord. After fifteen minutes I pick up the rum note, and it’s all right… but I feel that it cheapens the first accord a bit. The wood and patchouli accord continues with excellent longevity. I don’t get a very distinctive difference between the opening / heart and the drydown, and I’m not sure that the drydown exhibits any vanilla or musk… things just seem to stay about the same enjoyable wood and patchouli accord. Straight to Heaven is a beautifully designed and performing scent, composed of unquestionably high quality materials. It has moderate sillage and outstanding longevity. Bottle worthy? Maybe, but the price seems too high…

Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano

Potently smoky, Gothically threatening, darkly aromatic… The wood, smoke, spice, and leather dominance immediately presents the no-holds-barred, dead-or-alive seriousness of Black Tourmaline. At first I thought that the opening signaled the kind of opening that is almost impossible to keep up for any length of time, but I was mistaken… the potency pretty much continues through the heart notes and even into the base to an extent. On my skin the fragrance is quite linear, with a smoky, woody, leathery aromatic accord and is rich, full, and edgy. Its linearity gives me something to think about... I wonder if I really will want something this darkly dramatic, potent, aromatic, and Gothic to stay around for five or six hours. As much as I admire the vigor and passion of Black Tourmaline, I can’t foresee too many occasions where I would wear it, but I for sure am getting a decant of it – it’s an exciting fragrance.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Vétiver (original) by Carven

Simple, discreet, timeless. Will surely evoke great memories of classy past-by ages. The perfect scent for a conservative, somewhat restrained gentleman.

rach2jlc's avatar

Bellagio for Men by Fragluxe

This one is really awful. A sharp, acrid, citrus that somehow is cloying, musky, and badly synthetic all at the same time. Generally citrus aquatics are easy on the nose and pleasant, even then they aren't great... so it's really something when one makes your nose go, "NO WAY!"

This one is obtained VERY cheaply and it's obvious why. Nevertheless, it's not even one I'd take if it were given to me.

Staying at the Bellagio Hotel may be nice, but it's fragrance is worse than a Budgetel.

Jolie Madame by Pierre Balmain

Jolie Madame is definitely related to Bandit - an old-fashioned (even the reformulation) (in the best possible way!) green/leathery chypre with some added floral sweetness. It's softer than Bandit, less hayfever-inducingly, juicy green and a little more generically "perfumey", which makes me love it less, but still a great classic!

L'Eau du Caporal by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I'm not particularly sorry this is discontinued - except I'm sorry for those of you who love it and I agree it's mint done exceedingly well! Not quite well enough for me to get over my general aversion to mint notes though, but if I did wear one mint fragrance, this would be it. The dry, even sharp, herbal fougere accord with lavender and oakmoss harmonises with the mint-as-herb and takes away all toothpaste or chewing gum associations. Bracingly refreshing. For me personally though, I prefer my fougeres with a licorice/anise note reminiscent of the scent of actual ferns, such as Penhaligon's English Fern.

Sel Marin by Heeley

Sel Marin is not obviously aquatic - in fact, I'd call it woody rather than aquatic - though it has a distinct marine feel to it despite being devoid of the usual harsh and shrill synthetic "marine" notes. The notes I can most clearly pick out are birch - the exact, sweet smell of fresh birch sap which I don't really associate with the sea but more with forests, meadows and possibly sweetwater - and cedarwood. The woods have a cool and wet feeling to them though - this is not your ordinary warm and dry wood fragrance, suitable for winter. The salt is there, though very soft - salt diluted in water and not the dry, mineralic salt note of, say, Miller Harris Fleurs du Sel. Pure saltwater - not really the scent of the ocean because there is not a trace of seaweed or dead fish in it. Sel Marin is like a romanticised, purified version of a sea scent - nothing rotting on the beach here! - or possibly the seabreeze felt from some distance, walking in a seaside pine forest. I normally don't get along with aquatic or marine fragrances at all but Sel Marin I get along with just fine and for that I love it. I especially enjoy the true to life birch sap note, which I detect in their Fine Leather too.