Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

voidvader's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

this is a good scent for the short time it lasts... And that's sad... It lasts only few minutes! In my opinion, this one could be more woody, with better longivity and sillage.Just for that, i'll give a neutral for givenchy pour homme.

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

1. YES> I am a man!!!

2. YES> I love this scent!!!

3. YES> I wear this scent!!!

4. NO> I never tell anybody what it is!!!

5. Yes> Everybody loves to smell it on me!!!

This is my secret hidden treasure....I almost didnt try to pull it off! Thanks from a pep talk from Sir Salty.....I smell amazing!

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

My signature scent.........Everyone loves it on me! There has been a soooo many negative reviews and comments about the poor quality and use of the coconut and fig. I myself find this scent very clever and original. Name another scent that smells like this, that mixes fig and coconut together effortlessssly. I loooooovvvevevveveee MARC JACOBS

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I love this fragrance:) First second you spray it on (beware) dont stand tooo close it smells like all kinds of poo poo! I sprayed it on the card but I didnt even noticed it got on my skin. I ran out of barneys, thru the card away and said this is really what the fuss is about. In disappointment I went and got my lunch, and headed back to work. On the way to work, I kept getting a whiff of something. It smelled fantastic... It was the settled down version of dzing. No words can describe how bad I want this............next pay check! Its really leathery&skin scent!! Its really one of a kind!

shamu1's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

I love green scents, and I have no hesitation saying that Original Vetiver is the greenest scent I know. This is not a pine-like or mossy green - this is a soapy, clover-like green. What a beautiful scent this is.

At first OV does smell like a ripoff of the TM Cologne. However, give it some time and you'll see the difference. Whereas the TM is a rather static, linear work, OV truly evolves beautifully over time, starting with a bright green, citrusy top note, then the vetiver slowly creeps in and lasts for a good three hours. After that, OV makes a 180 back to its initial green ways, drying down to a sweet musk. This is absolutely beautiful work. Longevity and sillage are also excellent with this.

02nd April, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th March, 2010)

monsieur_sparkle's avatar

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

Straight to Heaven is loaded with lots and lots of patchouli, wood and sugary sweetness, all reeking of quality, plus an odd blast of spice that hit my nose about half an hour after application. It all adds up to a very sensual masculine fragrance (technically unisex, but I think this is more masculine than many male-marketed sweet scents) that gives the impression of a celestial being on the prowl, or at the least a very rich and sophisticated bad boy.

After awhile the spicy notes fade out, leaving you with some nice and very natural-smelling sweet patchouli touched with musk. Longevity is adequate, but by the end of the day all that's left of this fragrance is a skin scent of sweet white musk. More lasting power would be nice, but I suppose that's one of the drawbacks of working with natural ingredients.

I like Straight to Heaven and I'm glad I got a chance to sample it. Anyone who has a taste for sweet, high-quality masculine frags should definitely give it a go.

Dionysus's avatar

Vermeil for Men by Vermeil

As mentioned by someone earlier, there is a resemblance to Michael but only in the dry down. The opening, to me seemed a concoction more like Oscar Pour Lui but not as peppery sharp and slightly more floral. A tobacco note is there from the beginning but doesn't take center stage until the dry down occurs. Vermeil starts off smelling like an 80s chypre classic, crisp and green, but then it slowly transitions into a more smokey and mellow scent. It's quite a decent fragrance for the price(3.4 oz for less than $20 on Ebay), not to mention its cool cigar lighter bottle.

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I have to agree with moltening on this. At first it is overpowering. But the sweetnesss isn.t that nauseating sugar sweetness. It is of dried fruits. It reminds me of the filling of a particular Naan that I like that has dried fruits and coconut.

After the initial shock, the typical Lutens spices come into play. Surprisingly, I can't stop smelling myself. My body runs warm and the heat makes the scent almost glow. Amazing lasting power and sillage too.

Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The opening is of lovely rose and saffron. Absolutely wonderful. As it dries down, vanilla comes into the picture. It is a creamy, slightly spicy vanilla. Not the sickly sweet vanilla found in so many vanilla fragrances. I'd be tempted to buy a bottle if it didn't disappear so quickly on my skin.

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

I agree with the naysayers here. Tom Ford the person is an interesting charachter. Part of me wants to like him for the innovation he still can show in men's fashion, part of me wants to hate him for being an opportunist and pretending to understand the nich fragrance market The hate wins with this one. Interesting at first, but nothing groundbreaking . The dry down reveals it to be a powdery scent with horrible longevity. The extreme version is much more robust if you really want a Tom Ford fragrance and don't want to pay Private Blend prices.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I've tried so many different fragrances: some cheap and some ultra expensive (By Kilian, Amouage, etc) and yet none of them have the balance on my skin that this has!

I know it's 15 years old, it's probably incredibly synthetic, etc., but this stuff just WORKS (on my skin).

It smells great from start to finish, parthly because it doesn't evolve much on me, although it does change a little. So many scents smell great as they open but turn to a cloying sickly sweet mess in the drydown. This stays balanced. Perfect for a summer evening or a winters day.
    The silage is good and the longevity is at least 6-8 hours on me.

It's the best of the men's in the Issey range. The Intense is ok but doesn't move me. The Blue is plain awful.

Gold Man by Amouage

I recently tried all the current range of mens Amouage. I was tempted to do so after the wonderful experience I had with the Jubilation XXV and Homage.

Gold is wierd! It smells so old fashioned, hard to believe it was made just 25 years ago.
    It really has not aged well; in fact I wonder if it would ever have smelt right for a man, I can only imagine a 17th century coiffured dandy wearing this. It is way to flowery and powdery and just too old granny feminine. I'm 42 and can't imagine any man wanting to smell like this whatever their age or sexuality.

Well I will give it a second try, but I need to find a time when I know I won't be exposed to people as I don't want anyone to smell me with this on...it would be like walking around wearing lipstick, rouge and a hairnet!

Cuba by Czech & Speake

This really is a puzzle?! 16 reviews before me, 3 neutral and 13 possitve. Nobody else here mentions the fecal smell?

I did some quick research and on other sites they say Cuba contains civet. Well I don't know whether that is the cause of the pong but there is certainly something wrong with the scent!
    Others get rum, cigars, wood, etc....but all I get is the smell of ar*e (or a*s for you yanks).
    After the fantastic reviews above I hunted this down and found it in Harrods and Selfridges.
    Tried it first in Harrods and the female assistant who sprayed the paper strip for me smelt her fingers afterwards, turned her nose up and said she'd need to go wash her hands. I then went to the Bond No9 counter and the assistant there had a whiff and also detected the very pronounced fecal note...I three the paper away.

Thinking the bottle at H was tainted or that it would transform once warmed on my skin I went to Selfridges 1 week later and tried there....but the same problem, except now it wasn't paper that smelt of a*se, it was my hand! Again I checked with another assistant who confirmed all he could smell was faeces too. I determindely left it on me to wait for the booze, cigars to burn through the poo...but it never happened. It just smells of a*se from start to finish. Now there is something vaguely intriguing about the smell but it certainly doesn't smell good and smells nothing like my experience of Cuba.

I wonder if the batch these two bottles came from was bad? Surely nobody would buy this?
    Or perhaps my nose is overly sensitive to the civet, but then why did others get the bad smell too?
    I really don't understand how our reactions could be so different from the other reviewers?

I wanted this to be a better version of Idol or Havana but what I tried was unwearable!

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

I've tried this several times and just love the scent!
    I can't pick out all the elements but it moves from top to base beautifully.
    It has a wonderful Oud note which is what really pulls me in.

I like to keep it away from my nose, e.g. I apply to my wrist the very edge of my face, that way my nose doesn't get exhausted and instead I get to detect whafts of it every so often.

As much as I love this it has received mixed reception from mates.
    One friend loved it on me. Another said politely that it perhaps "didn't suit me"; probably due to the oud which he isn't a fan of.

Anyway, I highly recommend you sample this fantastic scent. It is perhaps the best in the Amouage range along with Homage.

Homage Attar by Amouage

This is wonderful!
    Almost as good as (or maybe better) than jubilation for men.
    You really need to like Oud to get on with this, but if you do then you are in for a real treat.
    I'm not sure how practical it is to wear, I love everthing about it....but I think it would be difficult to wear in most social situations simply because oud is an acquired taste. I think most people could grow to love oud, but there initial reaction may be negative.

Still this is definetly worth trying on your skin. Price wise it is out of my league...but I can dream :-)

Wode by Boudicca

I tried this in Berlin 6 months ago. They said is was unisex, but her it says for women?
    I'd put in more in the unisex side as the notes are not overly femine. It is similar to JPG2 in style but smells nothing like it.

I tried the paint version which is quite a shock when sprayed initially because it is cobalt blue on your skin. It then rapidly fades to nothing (colour wise). The assistant sprayed it on his white shirt which looked really cool! It certainly dissappeared but I'm uncertain whether traces might remain in UV light or after washing.

The scent was interesting, reminds me a bit of the Tom Ford Extreme (maybe truffle in both?)
    It's from the same nose as Escentric Molecules so has some similarity to them and does smell very synthetic, but not in a cheap or bad way.

I developed a bad headache which might have been due to the perfume so I scrubbed it off, but it was quite resiliant and stayed with me in to the evening so longevity seems very good. One male friend said it smelt great on me.

Not for me as too androgenous. If you are in to scents like JPG2, TFExtreme, Black Cashmere, etc, then this is certainly worth trying.

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

My first review here :-)

I tried this a few weeks ago on paper an thought it smelt great with a lasting freshness.
    Then I tried it on my skin and was startled by it's familiarity...it seemed very much like another perfume but I couldn't place which. Upon second skin trial I realised it reminds me of one of the Escentric Molecule perfumes (1 or 2). I think it must be the bergamot and orris.

On skin it loses it;s freshness quickly and turns to a powder smell which isn't really for me.
    Shame the opening couldn's stick around longer.

Lyric Man by Amouage

On paper this sounds great, "a masculine rose"....but the reality for me just doesn't quite work.
    My problem is that it just isn't "masuline" enough, but perhaps that is more to do with my skin and my taste?
    I tried No.88 which was awful on me, really smelt bad (Cuba by C&S was even worse!).

I would like this to be simpler, maybe just focus on rose, incence and perhaps sandalwood, but it has too many other floral overtones which boost the femine side.
    It clearly is a high quality scent and maybe for the right skin chemistry it could transcend (A*Men hates me, but works fantastically for friends).

I've only tried it once on skin so far and will give it a second chance.

Activist by Body Shop

I loved Activist back in the day - back when the Body Shop was cool. Activist had such a nice clean appeal and was super-economical compared to Dept. store mens fragrances. Too bad the U.S. Body Shops stopped carrying it - then chain has gone so far downhill since Ms. Roddick passed away.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I love this fragrance! Gucci will never be the same without Mr. Ford. I've worn this since it came out 6 years ago - I think I'm on my 5th bottle. I like Gucci Pour Homme because it smells great from the moment you put it on in the morning until it's completely faded away at night. At first you smell the pepper and bay, then after a while a different scent (the papyrous wood component?) comes through, and then finally a leather/resinous amber scent develops. It's almost like getting three colognes in one. Some of the other reviewers likened it to cedar or pencils but, to me, I don't get even a hint of 'pencil' from it. It's exremely masculine without being all piney and fake-outdoorsy.

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

I was in Las Vegas and sampled this fragrance on a spray card at Neiman-M. At first I didn't find it that exciting but when I got back to my hotel I kept getting the card out and smelling it again. Later, I went back to N-M and sprayed some on my arm for a test-drive while I browsed around the Fashion Show Mall. The longer I had it on, the more I liked itand I eventually bought a bottle before I left town. I always wear a sample/test spray of a cologne for a whole day before I decide to buy it - some of them start out OK and then take an ugly turn a few hours later. Plus, things that smell good on other people can absolutely reek on me.

To me, Amber Absolute is the perfect blend of vanilla and incense - and by incense I mean proper Japanese insence, not that cheap hippie-crap with a bamboo stick in it that you get at the truck stop or the swap meet. The incense components aren't too strong and the vanilla components aren't overpowering - they balance each other and blend together so well that you have to really breath deep and focus to be able to pick each one out.

So far everyone I've asked has said they really like it on me - the most common response when I ask them to have a sniff of my forearm is 'OMG what is that!? I love it!' You know when they actually grab your arm and keep it under their nose that they aren't just being polite. The scent doesn't change much after you put it on and it lasts for several hours before gradually fading away to just a hint of vanilla. Although the Private Blends are ridculously overpriced, the lady at N-M did give me 4 samples of other Private Blend scents when I bought this one. They were generous 1/4-ounce samples in little glass bottles with lids - not those stingy plastic vials with two drops of cologne in them that you usually get.

UPDATE: this review is for the 50 mil spray version. The non-spray in the larger bottle smells completely different to me - I think they are two different formulas.

02nd April, 2009 (Last Edited: 23rd January, 2010)

Ericgmd's avatar

King Kong by Kenzo

Hi Tantana,
    I have been a reader of this blog for sometime now but have never registered. Until today after reading your love story with King Kong!
    Your love for this fragrance really moved me. I was still a child in the early 80's but I have always been fascinated by perfumes. I actually DO remember this short-lived fragrance. We lived in Paris back then and I sampled it.
    The bottle is inspired by a SAKE bottle actually and the box is inspired by an INRO which is a box samourais used to store their opium bottle in.
    There was also banana in King Kong! I wish they would re-issue it. But you know how large corporations run. They base every decision on market research. King Kong was not a mainstream fragrance. It was probably meant for the sophisticated nose!
    As a token of appreciation to your beautiful posting, I am sending you a link to see a picture and read an article about your beloved King Kong:
    Enjoy!

Oslo-Fjord's avatar

Norway Norway

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

One of the best sweet refined orientals for men along with Boucheron Jaipur and Must de Cartier. I prefer the edt-version. A timeless oriental fragrance, that will give you lots of compliments. Thumbs up!

02nd April, 2009 (Last Edited: 25th March, 2012)

annachristine's avatar

Element-of-Attraction by Beth Terry Creative Universe

Bright, crisp, fresh, green rose. Almost cold - this is not a fat red rose warmed by the sun with lazy bees around it. This is a tight, dew dropped, morning bud, with quite a bit of its sharp, serrated green leaves and snapped off stem. I'd almost say it smells like a cut rose in a glass of vodka!

manicboy's avatar

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

Be advised that Pour Lui has been reformulated. The new version pales in comparison to the older-vintage version so much so that the new version is unwearable. The opening is pure watered-down cola. Even the drydown is thin and feeble. Yes, it’s true - Lui’s manhood has been severed.

Now let’s talk about the vintage version which still can be scored for a good price if you know where to look. The opening is quite unique in that it smells great but you are unsure as to what you are smelling. Aldehydes? I believe so. There’s a pleasant green-pine note that pops up from time to time. The midnotes of carnation and patchouli shift this beast into overdrive as the sillage gets stronger and bolder. One also gets a faint breeze of cinnamon and incense. Ends with a big oak mossy finish that would put most 70’s scents to shame. This is truly a great scent and deserves better treatment from Oscar. Shame.

03rd April, 2009 (Last Edited: 29th May, 2009)

ubuandibeme's avatar

Shisha by Ava Luxe

Shisha ~ OMG ~ I accidentally got some of this on my fingertips, from opening a tiny sample vial, and couldn't get rid of it! It is vile. It smelled something like aged/rotting spicy sausage. Honestly, I hope my nose is never exposed to this again. Undoubtedly one of the worst frags ever created.

purplebird7's avatar

Chance Eau Fraîche by Chanel

I like regular Chance better--it concentrates more on the hyacinth and patchouli. This one is a "lite" version--more sparkly than the original. The listed notes are similar, but Eau Fraiche smells fruiter or more citrusy, brighter, and top-heavy. So, although it is sprightly and pleasing, it is missing the stronger floral heart and solid base of the real Chance. I give it a qualified thumbs-up for a carefree, fizzy, fruity floral with better composition than many in its genre. But pass me the original.

scentsitivity's avatar

CK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

It starts with a tolerable synthetic clean opening; not exciting but tolerable. However, the dry down does remind me of bug spray (as noted by another reviewer). Not that there is anything wrong with bug spray, but they don't make the stuff smell that way so people feel compelled to wear it just for fun. A co-worker gave me a rare negative comment: you smell YUCKY. That’s the final nail in the coffin: thumbs down for this.

marbert's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Royal Copenhagen by Royal Copenhagen

My opinion - it's pretty close Habanita de Molinard (1921). I clearly audible mustard (this aroma-note is not easy for me). With that, I like the old school (very love), but it is not comfortable for me... Alas.

marbert's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Lalique White by Lalique

I distinctly heard here Vetiver. This is a good fragrance, a pleasure to go to summer evening - walk the streets of the small port city, thinking about why the Sea is noisier...

03rd April, 2009 (Last Edited: 17th February, 2010)