Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Un Matin d'Orage Eau de Toilette by Annick Goutal

To me, Un Matin d'Orage smells like a dewy, unripe peach still hanging on the tree that would be tart and crisp rather than sweet and juicy of you bit into it. But you don't bite into it, you just put your nose next to its downy skin and inhale. I find most fruity scents too sweet and synthetic, but this is just lovely. Probably because there aren't really any fruit notes in it - the illusion of peach must be created by the floral notes. Which makes sense - magnolia can smell a tad peachy, but like a cool and unsweet peach note. It's definitely a moist and cool fragrance - rainy, even - I can see the raindrops clinging to the peach, and to the leaves of the peach tree, and the sun has not yet come out between the dark clouds. It's too delicate and pretty a scent to be associated with thunderstorms though - if so, it's definitely in the calm after the storm.
    At first, I was surprised at the love-or-hate reactions and the scrubber reviews because I found the scent too pretty to be loathed with that kind of passion, but yes, after a while I can sort of feel the plasticky/metallic tang in the fragrance that might provoke that kind of reaction. It might be the ozone, and it might also be a discreet gardenia, since gardenia notes can sometimes have a plasticky sharpness to them (not existing in the indolic sweetness of the actual flower!) There's also a touch of grassy greens, and I know that some people are very sensitive to green notes, even though I personally love them and rarely can get enough of them even in fragrances supposed to be very green.
    Cool fragrances supposed to evoke rain or dew rarely works for me, but this is a wonderful exception, very lifelike, like a photo of a summer garden after the rainstorm!

lespritz's avatar

RSVP by Kenneth Cole

This is one of thew only colognes where I, a fragrance fiend wouldn't finish it! Smells like cheap, musky old man crap.

lespritz's avatar

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

To me this smelled generic, had poor longevity, and smelled girly. I'd only accept it as a gift, and only to be polite! Next!

scentsitivity's avatar

Noir by S.T. Dupont

I wanted to like this one. Indeed, there is something classy to this aromatic oriental. But the first time I wore it I felt nauseous from it. No headache, just nausea. I put it aside for months and tried it again. Guess what? Same result. Something in Noir spoils it for me. Not sure precisely what it is, but at this point it isn't worth figuring out.

TromboneGuy's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Here we go - my first review...

I've seen horses, saddles and the like mentioned in a lot of reviews of this one, but without even looking for circus imagery, one thing jumped to my mind with Dzing!

Elephants.

I live near a pretty good zoo, and the mid- to drydown of Dzing! smells almost exactly like the elephants. Not elephant dung, though there's a hint of that, too... but live elephants. Stand next to an elephant sometime and tell me it doesn't smell just like Dzing!

Also, my nose isn't picking up even a whiff of the sweet / cotton candy-ish note some people have mentioned. That may just be kow it acts on me.

Intriguing fragrance, but I'm not sure I'd wear this one regularly, if ever.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Farnesiana by Caron

Farnesiana is my favorite Caron fragrance, and one that I think really deserves more attention.

Though described as a mimosa soliflore, it owes as much to almond as it does to mimosa. The thick, creamy, marzipan-like almond note is accented with the tangy, fruity mimosa, and underscored with a faintly foody, vanillic base. Compared to modern gourmands this is subtle; very understated. The "fruity-floral" element is an inherent quality in mimosa rather than florals amped up with artificial fruit candy notes, as is common in the genre today.

It reminds me of a kind of apricot tart a local bakery used to sell. They were soft, almost cake-like, filled in the bottom with marzipan and in the top with apricot. Farnesiana is the fragrance equivalent of eating one of those!

The sillage is delicate, but the longevity is good ( I tried it in parfum extrait concentration ).

Highly recommended.

Bigsly's avatar

Ambre Fétiche by Annick Goutal

I'll give it a neutral because it's certainly not bad. However, I'm not really sure what to think of this. At times it reminds me of a simple but nice amber fragrance, such as Etro's, but at other times it seems to be a Shalimar "wannabe." I don't get fairly constant sillage but rather a waft now and then. It's almost like too much of a tease, and makes me think of other fragrances that are similar but that I'd rather be wearing. At one point, at least two hours after spraying, I thought something great was happening, but whatever it was, it didn't last long at all. I "blow away" top notes as much as possible, so keep that in mind. I'll likely try it again, but I really don't look forward to doing so, and at this point, that's a very bad sign. Some might prefer this to fragrances like Shalimar Light, of course, but AF just seems too shy and awkward to me. My guess is that this is all about personal preference, rather than one being "better" than another.

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

Great fragrance, in the same vein as Clinique Happy and ADG, lasting power is great.

yrk's avatar

Poland Poland

Mimosa by Czech & Speake

sorry but there is something that makes me headache, its female i know but i really wanted to explore all C&S scents and its the worst one, smells like cleaned toilet i cant imaginare this on women or maybe i could on... cleaning lady

drummerboy20's avatar

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

Nice.............Very Nice..........This is Beautiful!!!!! Can be worn allllll year round

msleslie's avatar

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

Oh this is wonderful and amazingly lovely! I feel like I am wrapped in clouds of very refined incense and cherry blossoms. There is also peach brandy in there somewhere. It is so uplifting, and lasts and lasts. The body silk is maybe even more heavenly than the spray. Chinatown is strongly intoxicating and exotic, very special!

ProfessorPlum's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Does it smell like Cool Water? Yes
    Does it smell somewhat better than Cool Water? Yes
    Would I fork over $100 for that slight improvement? Not a chance.

Smells great, but my neophyte nose can't tell a huge difference between the two.

KainoKani's avatar

Finland Finland

Tea Rose by Body Shop

First bottle I bought on 80's was so beautiful real tea rose scent I couldn't believe! Unfortunately the second one bought later didn't have the same quality any more, but some synthetic side odor that made it cheap and plastic.

KainoKani's avatar

Finland Finland

Rose Absolue by Yves Rocher

Read the reviews and thought that this would be my next rose. Unfortunately on my skin the rose evaporated too soon and left the spices, these were not so bad actually but not what I was looking for. On paper strip the rose lasted much longer.

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan

This is not my favorite scent, but I find it wearable. It is o.k. and it does smell nice. I would catergorize this as a powder fragrance. It is one dimensional with a predominate note of powder mixed with a very faint spiced note on my skin. I find it innofensive, airy, light, and soft...perfect for a hot day. I wear CM when I want a "SAFE" fragrance choice. It is a feminine/ girly scent, and reminds me of a baby (the powder note). I give it a 3 out of 5 because it it is wearable, but I don't think it is for me. I wouldn't purchase CM again...but if you like powdery fragrances, give this one a try.

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

An excellent, well constructed classic style dry rose with a major saffron note. Very smooth and consistent in development. It is dark only as much as you might think saffron is dark. Otherwise, it veers very close to being a well done rose style modern chypre with an excellent and yet sexy dry down. The right man could wear this.

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

Diorissimo is a gorgeous, classic, elegant, and yet extremely natural abstracted lily of the valley fragrance. It is essentially age-less - from a young bride to an elegant older lady - any woman could wear this. It is the most beautiful impression of lily of the valley. It is very bright, sparkling, wearable, and pretty. A little bit "cool" in tone, but still very lovely, like a fresh cool yet sunny day. A must for anyone who loves lily of the valley or wants to make a very elegant statement. It opens with a soft fresh, green, lightly sweet spring flowers impression, and quickly moves to the lily of the valley accord and remains very consistent for a few hours. Lovely.

Dioressence by Christian Dior

Fantastic, dark, major, classic style oriental. Not for the faint of heart! Could be a signature scent for the right woman who wants to make a big, elegant statement. It opens with a rush of intense aldehydes, heavy flroals and spices -- in the same family as Youth Dew, Sikkim, Paloma Picasso, Aromatics Elixir, Fendi, etc. The drydown reminds me a bit of the balamic drydown of Chamade parfum and is the best part. The lasting power is impressive as is the sillage. Could be worn by a man too. This fragrance is an impressive example of the heavy oriental style - it has one foot over the fence in the vague chypre style - but I read it as a classic oriental.

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

It's a nice spicy woods fragrance, but for me there is a muddle with the musks that makes it hard to wear and a little agitating. I highly recommend testing this one to make sure the musks work. Otherwise, I prefer the Donna Karan Wenge, Chaos, etc., for a similar type woody fragrance.

Organza Indécence by Givenchy

Organza Indecence is a nice spicy vanilla, just a little sweet. It's well done and very pretty. It is something dark for vanilla lovers.

Aoud Lime by Montale

This was a sour disaster on me. It smelled like Mexican food left too long in the fridge. I love limes too, but this was not good. I'm not actually sure at this point that there is any lime in the fragrance at all. The saffron and aoud are staunch and difficult.

Heawns's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

Refreshing, substantial, cool, warm, crisp, yet, for me atleast, slightly repulsive. Quite unique. Reminds me a bit of staying awake long long, while drinking tons of coffe so you start to freeze and (cold) sweat...but (mostly) in a good way...

Not heavy, tough not light/elusive, nor sweet, -kinda smell.

Lasts around 6 hours for me and stays quite linear in it's evolving.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Mimosa by Czech & Speake

This has to be my second least favorite from the C&A line. Disappointing. An unlovely incense. Sorry, no love here.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake

Of all the C&A, I think this is the one I would put down my money for a full bottle. It doesn't start promisingly (like all the other C&A)- the off-putting incense 'house note' is just grating and quite repugnant. The drydown however is marvelously exquisite and this ranks as one of the loveliest lavender scent I know.

creamywildthang's avatar

South Africa South Africa

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

It is an okay fragrance. It smells like a light-weight Versace Crystal Noir - however, it lacks a lot of things....like uniqueness. It does not stand out. It does not have it's own personality. It is a "safe" fragrance. It is a fragrance that I would wear to bed because I love smelling great ALL the time - even in my sleep. Other than that, I would not wear it anywhere else. It just does not stand out. The price is good though, however, because the scent does not last long, the price fits what it offers which is a nice fragrance for shy girls that refuse to stand out. I am not such a girl.

Sterling Maiden's avatar

Ginger Ciao 2.27 by Yosh

At first i didn't like this one...it smelled like curry with coconut, and smelling like a curry house wasn't high on my list of desireable scent experiences. Strangely, over time it has grown on me, and I've discovered that I quite like it's unusual mix of indian spice, ginger and coconut. Having said that, I only ever worn it at night. It never even occurs to me to put it on during the day. I guess on some level I equate it with dinner...!!

I realize this is not your usual thumbs up review, but I like it and thumbs up it is.

Irresistible's avatar

Germany Germany

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

Very Irresistible IS Irresistible.
    There is no fragrance I could compare with....I'm not sure why I fall soo much in love with this, maybe because it was my first frag.
    I couldn't understand why so many of you dislike this scent....maybe I'm blind :D

pofox's avatar

Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci

I bought a part bottle of this blind and it's just arrived. The bottle is a thing of beauty and very heavy. I put one little spray on my forearm this evening and my first thought was 'wow that's powerful' and I wasn't too sure that buying it hadn't been a mistake. Half an hour later and the first punch in the nose it gave me has gone and it is wonderful, I can't stop sniffing my arm. Three hours later and it's a gentler, slightly spiced wood that's not dry but rich with a little touch of vanilla. Definitely a keeper.

sandman012's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

Luckily, on me, this does not smell like poop, I love it ... and the musc oil too. Very masculine scent, strong amd biting to start, mellows out and stays close and warm for into the early afternoon, by which time I'm at the gym, and ready for a little reapply after my shower.

aezikely's avatar

Une Fleur de Chanel by Chanel

Despite the name 'Une Fleur', this fragrance is a bouquet of flowers. I get quite a bit of Gardenia, and in many ways this fragrance is a derivative of Chanel's own Gardenia, but I also get a number of other white florals as well in the mix. My skill at identifying single floral notes from a bouquet is limited, but I believe I sense ylang, jasmine, and lilac along with the gardenia. This was a limited edition from nearly 10 years ago, but bottles are around. Worth getting for Chanel fans.