Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

aezikely's avatar

Coromandel by Chanel

The quality of Coromandel is evident in the amazing reviews that precede my own - truly well done reviews are often inspired by a well done fragrance.

Coromandel is one of those very rare fragrances that is far more about the feel than the actual notes. As many have mentioned, it is a patchouli fragrance that doesn't smell like patchouli. It's been 'Chanelized' - made classy and discrete. Whenever I wear Coromandel I am struck with a notion that there is something very wine-like about it...smooth and luxurious, even while the sillage and longevity are significant. Unlike it's 'sister' Borneo 1834 in which the patchouli and chocolate notes are distinct and evident, Coromandel is blended so well that the entire experience of wearing it is like being enveloped in a chocolate blanket, only it's a type of chocolate you've never heard of or tasted before (and that you probably can't afford).

Patchouli in and of itself has very cocoa-like qualities, and whatever was done to blend Coromandel took the best, similar qualities of patchouli and cocoa and combined them such as to make a seamless whole. Truly fantastic, and if you're going to splurge on one 200ml Exlcusifs jug, this is the one to do it on.

mge29's avatar

Matthew Williamson by Matthew Williamson

I sort of have a love hate with MW. Reading the notes I feel like this should be for me. I'm always looking for something tropical, lush and exotic. Some nights I think this smells really attractive and exotic. I have had a couple of comments from guys saying I smelled really good. But other times I can't wear it. There are just so many notes and so much going on, with flowers and cinnamon. I love white lush tropical flowers, but in this one the floral is more synthetic. It lasts forever and is really strong. I can see my mom's really loud friend wearing this one. Maybe not for a girl in her 20s. Sometimes smells too department store, and that's not what I'm looking for. Going to try to swap this is I figure out how. I bought this in London when it came out, you can even find it on Boots there.

jennster's avatar

Island Hawaii by Michael Kors

I didn't get a huge amount of citrus on me for this one. It was turned almost a honeysuckle, a bit sweet but not too. Light and lasting. Clean but not soapy. Just right. I really love this one, it makes me happy just thinking about it. The best of the island flankers in my opinion!

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

the beautiful aroma, bring back into lucky adolescence. Splendid, spicy, eastern. Long and steadfast train will do the evening with loved woman else more piquant.
    In its niche has not equal.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Back in the seventies. The Classics as she there is. No compromise and multigendery. Even in mirror on itself became the glance to delay...

Basic Instinct by Van Gils

The name of this one really tells you everything about it.
    It's between herbal and citrus and very spicey not really knowing what it is and therefore hard to stand!

30th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 June, 2009)

Speed00kills's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

I can't get over this fragrance reminding me of my middle school locker room. I'm not a fan of the "sporty" feel I get for some reason it reminds me of polo sport. My girlfriend likes the smell of it on me but not me and I'm the one who's smelling it ALL day. Not offensive but not for me I need something newer..

Speed00kills's avatar

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

I like this scent, both the top notes and the drydown. I just got turned onto it and I'm 25 not an offensive scent at all and good for office/daywear.

Innoscent's avatar

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

I remember 20 years back when this EDT from the now well-known but then little heard of Chinese-born Canadian designer Alfred Sung was introduced in the US. I did not like it at all the first time I smelled it (soapy and overwhelming) and it didn't help that it was not what one would consider affordable at all at the time, upwards to $70 for the 3.4-ounce bottle, which looks nice btw. However it proved to be a commercial success and something I couldn't fail to notice, a hit with the ladies. Maybe Sung was up to something after all and I purchased a bottle. Can't say I feel in love with it, especially the opening which is far too strong for my taste. However I found the drydown much more interesting than I had expected, totally exempt from any flowery sweetness one could be lead to expect from it. It's very dry and distinctively unique, I don't agree that it could ever be mistaken for a female fragrance. If you don't overindulge it makes a man smell "heavenly clean" according to numerous female comments, some also comment that the silllage it produces is "one you want to follow almost anywhere", Personally this EDT is not the most self-pleasing to me and it was definitively an acquired taste. However its social value is one that deserves a thumbs up.

amatuer_nose's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

To me it smells like a freshly chopped cedar tree mixed with a bit of oranges. An old man in the best way. Upscale woodsman. Very refined. It's drawn nothing but compliments thus far.

2dogs's avatar

Blue Jeans by Versace

The Sweetness is Gone!
    I loved Versace Blue Jeans Man at first smell. It transported me to a Lemon Chiffon Cake I ate when I was 6 years old. I wore it almost every day.
    Last week I went to the scent store to restock. Blue Jeans Man has been rebranded 'Versus', and reformulated. Instead of Lemon Chiffon Cake, it smells like lemon juice corroding a zinc bucket that has been used to haul entrails. It is the awful demise of a great scent.

silvertongue's avatar

Boss Intense by Hugo Boss

intense...but not in the wrong way. not sweet at all, just a little bit too spicy.... i used it during winter and it worked just fine for me ....

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Horrific. I don't get how this foul stench is a best seller. Is it based on trend? Those who pimped it out are having the last laugh. This is black flag bug spray with a cantaloupe mashed into the smell before it quickly dies off. I actually snicker when I get a gush of this aroma in any club setting. Dare to look for a manly smell and the women will go nuts over it. Never tell her or anyone what the scent is that you are wearing once you find that masculine smell. Let the wanna be's continue to smell like bug repellent.

Halston Z-14 by Halston

Where to begin? First of all lets get this out of the way.. "for me" this fragrance is the best men's fragrance out there. Every woman I encounter loves this smell and men ask me privately what I'm wearing. I play stupid and say I have no idea because of the stigma of using a once popular brand now reduced by snobbery to the equivilant of Old Spice. The snobbery needs to stop.

All these fruity smells today don't even compare. I swear I've went down the line of the most popular and each one smells like bug spray and then drifts into smelling like a melon and very feminine. Sure a woman likes that smell. She's either wearing something similar with a fruity smell or it appeals to her senses as soft and flowery. What man wants to smell like that? In a way todays most popular fragrances pretty much represent an over all trend for just about every thing. In short.. Just not as good as what things use to be in life. Music ( garbage ) clothing ( baggy, saggy) hair styles ( unkempt ) etc.. It's not so much that todays choices are better it's more about wanting desperately to find the new "in" thing even when it's just second rate.

If you are like me... Just a guy looking for a scent that will always get compliments and turn heads. If you are looking for a scent that makes you feel confident and you don't feel like you need to keep putting more on challenging you to try and find something nice about it when you know it stinks to high heaven then this is the one. It stays all day or night. If you are throwing away every fruity smelling expensive bottle of bug spray and melong balls this is what you are looking for. It's masculine and the average person does not think it smells cheap at all. In fact unless you run in a crowd of wanna be snobs no one really cares how much you've spent on your smell. If it wears well on you then you are good to go. Halston Z-14 is a keeper. Two thumbs way up. Let the snobs keep pouring on the bug spray. It makes this scent even more of a standout.

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

If you like the combo of Bug Spray and Melons you'll love this smell. I'm appalled that today's male fragrances all have the same god awful aromas. Far from masculine, foul repellent initial smell and then drying down to a feminine soft fragrance that leaves within an hour unless you take a bath in the stuff. The responses I get with every current "trendy" male fragrance is always the same. Is that Abercrombie? Aqua? and so on. They all smell the same and appeal to a certain female type. Most guys I know reluctantly put the trendy stuff on because "she likes it" but asked if we males like it? Not so much. I don't know about others but I'm sick of the unisex smell. I'd like to smell like a guy and not be asked if I'm wearing some teenage boys expensive cologne.

NonScents's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Nicole Farhi Homme by Nicole Farhi

I can see this holds appeal for others, and I really want to like it, I do. However, it just smells too "medically" on my skin, but clearly that's not a problem for others, so give it a go.

Also agree it would work best as a wintertime daytime frag, imagine coming off the piste, removing your snow goggles, and settling down to a nice Irish coffee and a croque monsieur in the apres ski hut, with this wafting around your nostrils.

I found this (on sale, 10 pounds!) at Tesco's (a large chain of supermarkets in England), and thought it sounded promising (and a bargain), so gave it a try. The drydown does get less "medically" but it takes about 3 hours to do so on my skin.

Was going to give it a middling thumb thing, but as the review has gone on, it now definitely gets a thumbs up! Almost "mentholly" in its freshness on the dry down, which gives the impression of "coldness".

Oh, I do like making up words ;o)

30th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2010)

Heawns's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Davidoff Adventure by Davidoff

''A fresh, spicy and woody fragrance inviting to a faraway escapism...'' Revitalizing, assuring.

Lasts for me about 2-4 hours...not to good, and it doesn't seem to project far away from the body for me.

I'm really considering buying a bottle, even tough it's not very groundbreaking and the lasting-power isn't really there...

EDIT: After coming to my sense I'll never buy this shite, for reasons stated above. Give it a neutral R.

30th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th October, 2011)