Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

ivan2057's avatar

Austria Austria

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

This is a very warm, too sweet, too heavy and too intense fragrance even for winter.
    First you get hit by a blast of mint with sugar untill it drys down to cherries and strawberrys.
    Since it is so feminine the only mystical thing about it is why someone would wear this
    if he doesn’t want to be the king of a fruitcake party?
    Probarbly perfect for girls in their teens …

Sugandaraja's avatar

1828 by Histoires de Parfums

It's interesting... I developed all my impressions of this fragrance before looking at the note list, so what I read definitely conflicts with what I smell. I'd describe this fragrance as a rounded, creamy vetiver, cedar and pine. All this about eucalyptus, cloves and citrus is vaguely baffling, but maybe I don't have the most educated nose...

This fragrance goes on very fresh, green and slightly bitter, but quickly changes into a mellow, woody vetiver surrounded by the green, coniferous notes of cedar and pine. In the base the cedar begins to dominate, but not uncomfortably so - this is Atlas cedar, not the pencil-wood Virginia cedar note. It occupies an olfactory space somewhere between CdG Vettiveru and Diptyque's Tam Dao.

The sillage is good and the longevity is about average.

I quite like this, despite it being from a genre I don't usually get along with.

TaraYvonne's avatar

Hanae Mori (original) by Hanae Mori

Um, yuck. Bitter alcohol blast and then nothing.

TaraYvonne's avatar

Spectral Violet by Neil Morris Fragrances

I had a sample of this courtesy of my friend Aiona and I really enjoyed it. I adore it when I get a whiff of something like nothing else I have ever smelled before. I enjoy unusual perfumes. That's what this is, really unusual. I think the name fits, there is something "not of this world" about it. From the sharp alcohol/incense & faint whiff of earth and violet beginning (to me it does smell a bit like the wet dirt and violet in bloom plant combo that I smell when I'm poking around my violets)to the mulled strawberry incense end-it really makes for a strange combination. You can't tell if you should be thinking of the damp garden or an incense filled room. It's a little confusing, but good anyway. And you cannot buy this untested because this is a love it or hate it fragrance. I am in the love it group personally. I give it thumbs up for originality, it was a brave gamble that I believe paid off. But that's me, I like difficult perfumes that others might shy away from.

jathanas's avatar

Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake

I prefer my citrus frags to be clean and fresh, this carried a bit more funk than I'm comfy with in the opening. It gets better as it evolves but I can't get over the dirt...

jathanas's avatar

Neroli by Czech & Speake

Neroli. Clean. Fresh. Pure. Invigorating.

SirSlarty's avatar

Jaguar (new) by Jaguar

To avoid any confusion, I am reviewing the fragrance that is housed in the bottle that is pictured: translucent light blue glass with plastic chrome trims.

THis stuff opens up with a very airy sweet orange-musky note. The sandalwood at the base reminded me of a very, very, very, VERY weak Joop! Homme. After smelling and knowing Joop!, Jaguar is a kitten in comparison. Simple and light: good for office wear. Very "clean" but not in the "fresh" way. The accords are semi-transparent; like I can sniff through them.

AnnaSa's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Aria di Capri by Carthusia

Vibert's review is spot-on, there is not much I can add. I love Aria di Carthusia and wear it in early spring when I long for summer and warm weather. The opening is wonderful, I get a lot of licorice and less aldehydes than other reviewers. The only negative aspect is the poor lasting power.

Bigsly's avatar

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

I do think it is overpriced significantly, but I won't assess it on that issue. Also, I almost always try to avoid top notes, so keep that in mind (I don't get any major peach note). The first time I smelled it (one small dab to the wrist), I thought it was at least interesting, and not offensive. However, my policy now is to sample at least a few times over the course of a few weeks, or more (if I don't dislike it). On the second sampling (a "full" wearing), I liked it for a few minutes, found it bearable for perhaps an hour, then came to dislike it. I got some on a blanket during application, which actually was very helpful (I smelled it during the night), because I realized that Chinatown is very similar to Animale Animale for men, and I can't stand that fragrance either (but again, it does smell nice at first). My guess is that for whatever reason I really can't stand any fragrance that has a strong lavender, moss, and gourmand combination. I've got more than a few "women's" fragrances in my rotation now, so I wouldn't be the best person to ask about its "unisex" quality (or lack thereof), but you can always buy the "for men" Animale Animale one instead (and save "big bucks"). Sillage is good and longevity is excellent (unfortunately, for me). Sample this one (or AA for men) several times before buying a bottle! If you like the lavender/moss/gourmand type fragrances, this might be great to you, so I'll give it a neutral, even though I can't wear it at all.

Bigsly's avatar

Ambre Gris by Pierre Balmain

This one smelled like two fragrances in a death grip, in the ocean. They are both going to drown, no matter who "wins" the fight. There is a nice "gray" amber smell, but there is also a very sweet smell too, which is very similar to the top notes of Belle en Rykiel. The clash between the two became nauseating to me after a couple of hours (or less). In Belle en Rykiel, those super sweet top notes calm down after a while, and an amber frag (with some clear but subordinate woods) come to the front. The two blend together well, if you survive that initial sweetness. This is not the case for Ambre Gris, which was so unpleasant that I am writing this after one sampling. I don't know if I will sample it again. Sillage and longevity seemed to be moderate to good, but I washed it off after a few hours. I'll give it a neutral because it may be entirely a matter of taste. From what I've read in the men's forum here, AG has plenty of fans, so it may be that it's so dissonant compared to what's in my rotation that it generates revulsion (sort of like ketchup and ice cream, whereas to others it's like peanut butter and chocolate).

tanto's avatar

Skin Bracer by Mennen

Despite some of the negative reviews, I really like the scent of Skin Bracer. It's a pleasant fougere and is also subtle and noncloying. For many it's a "classic". This scent goes great with my body chemistry and skin type, too. And to quote some of the comments, " I wear it, it doesn't wear me"!

03 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 July, 2009)

funhuntr's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Paris Hilton for Men by Paris Hilton

Only a fun-loving flirt of a man (man-boy?) would ever like this fragrance...Yup, I'm one of them :)
    I agree, it feels kinda dirty that I like a Paris Hilton fragrance, but with a couple already under her belt (which aren't half bad), I guess she has a *slight* knack for this :)
    I don't smell the cucumber...more watermelon to me.
    Doesn't last very long, but I enjoy taking a shot and a whiff every now and then, has a !zing to it :)
    And girls love it! (they do want to borrow it though and have spray of it...not sure if that's a good or a bad thing)...
    Sorry guys, but ...2 thumbs up for Paris for this one :)

funhuntr's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Nautica Blue by Nautica

Smells a lotta sweet first whiff, but unlike the other review, this disappoints me when it comes to longevity.
    Only reason why I bought it is my sister (who's a student) likes it but can't afford to buy it yet hehe.
    Good everyday, after-the-shower kind of scent but not one to impress, scent easily replicated by more mass-market brands.

Adama's avatar

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

Musky cedar...
    The musk is very herbal, and smells "old", but thankfully isn't very strong. It fades away after about an hour with modest application.
    This scent reminds me of an an china cabinet that isn't opened very often. It seems to be geared towards older men, but it fails. All in all, it makes me feel nauseous- especially the opening.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Versace pour Homme by Versace

I am quite disappointed with this one. The top notes are gorgeous but the scent deteriorates into a very pedestrian ubiquitous aquatic finish. Not one of Versace's best.

creamywildthang's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

Think strawberries burning in hot caramel sauce. Think doughnuts cooking in sugared boiling water. Think apricot orchard. Think lollipop factory. Sweet, sweet, sweet, sweet, sweet without a hint of class. Turned my stomach - I hate it. You cannot be taken seriously when wearning this....not even by a teenage boy. I wouldn't touch it even with an 8 metre stick. YUCK!

boston's avatar

Quorum Silver by Antonio Puig

I sprayed it on, and it transported me to about 20 years ago, instantly. There I was with my pet rabbit, opening a fresh package of cedar shavings for his cage. That is the smell, not a dirty cage, but fresh cedar shavings.

And I didn't expect it based on other reviews, but maybe I should have, as they used words like, sweet spicy, pine mixed with spices, woodsy, resinous...yup, cedar shavings!

SeaninDubh's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

It's floral, it's powdery and soapy, but there's something almost melancholic about IdH in a good way. I'm a big fan of frankincense, but here it's kept in the background and comes through in a very different way from other scents. This might be my summer fragrance this year. Maybe it's the associations I have, but this is one I'll wear on my own rather than in a group. Floral enough to be unisex, IMO. I'm not usually an irish fan either, but it works for me in this scent.

x-man's avatar

Serbia Serbia

1881 by Cerruti

Cerruti 1881 is easily my No.1 choice for daytime wear during spring and summer. Its powdery sweet bergamot, lemon and rosemary Mediteranean style makes me feel comfortable and at the same time, very special. It is great as an office wear but you will love it for all casual occasions. This powdery effect is actually what makes it interesting since you would expect it to be sharper to your nose. I tend not to like powdery feeling in my scents but this one is right on the money.

I prefer Cerruti 1881 over Chanel Pour Monsieur due to its longevity. However, Chanel is definitely more complex and refined.

Still, 1881 is a scent that you simply need to have if you want to feel like those Italian guys driving scooters in the movie Roman Holiday.

03 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 May, 2009)

moss1310's avatar

Oriental Lumpur by Les Néréides

I was shocked upon applying this. All I get on my skin is pickled pimientos. The kind inside of green olives. It never develops into anything more than that.

moss1310's avatar

Bois d'Ombrie by Eau d'Italie

Another scent that smells like pickled pimientos to me. It opens with that vinegar and spice accord and stays, and stays, and stays. I can't wash this off my skin. I love spice, but I cant take this. These aren't fresh spices. They are old spices sitting in the kitchen cupboard for too long. Whilke I respect the opinions of those that see the complexity in thios, it just doesn't work for me!

Bois du Portugal by Creed

The lore is that this was "created" for Frank Sinatra. Maybe so but whether Sinatra wore it is doubtful. According to Bill Zehme's manual about Sinatra and his grooming habits, he favored Agua Lavanda Puig and disliked strong fragrances on men. And this is a strong fragrance. The reviewers who compared it to Old Spice are not wrong. This is a dense, spicy, woodsy scent with strong notes of cognac, tobacco, and leather. The dominant notes, though, are the spices. Possibly clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg whose sweetness is muted by the cognac, tobacco and leather. Think Bill Holden or John Forsythe, maybe; think CEO circa 1940. I understand why this is not generally considered a "babe magnet." It's too old word men's clubby. It's not a fragrance I like enough to wear but on the right person it would be wonderful. I love Creed, it's my favorite house by far, but I must say that if I feel tempted one day to wear this frag, I'll save the money and slap on some Old Spice.

Green Valley by Creed

I'm surprised by the review that found this nothing like GIT. The frags are similar to this nose, the key difference being that the florals are somewhat stronger here than the citrus, and the dry down presents a more powdery, slightly more astringent fragrance, and the Creed hallmark, an animalic base present in the classic frags that I assume is ambergris or some synthetic version thereof, is less pronounced. This is also more linear than GIT but is a wonderful cousin. Because they are similar I buy GIT, my favorite frag, but GV has much to recommend it. If you like GIT you'll like this. The question is whether you'll like it enough.

Vétiver by Annick Goutal

Oh how I wanted to like this. I smelled it at the AG store in Paris and my wife, who normally dislikes fragrances, liked it. I love good vetiver frags and had high hopes. On me, this is a weird scent, in which the vetiver is overpowered by a strong marine scent of iodine and tobacco and vanilla. In fact, a friend was wearing a cologne that smelled exactly like this and it turned out be Tom Ford's tobacco vanilla frag. This is an acquired taste that smells like no other frag out there--except for Tom Ford's.

the mister's avatar

Lynx Orient / Axe Orient by Axe / Lynx

hi all
    was reading this thread and had a look if i had any lynx oriental left over from years ago.i found a full bottle of lynx oriental aftershave in a bottle.I wonder if its worth putting it on fleabay???? What do you rekon ?

The mister.

AC501's avatar

Halston Z-14 by Halston

Frankly, I'm surprised by the few negative reviews, simply due to those reviewers' vitriolic tone. If they go through life that way, cologne isn't going to help them a bit. All I can say is every time I wear it, I get a ton of compliments. And if it were as bad as a couple suggest, it would have withered and died on the vine years ago.

loveysangel's avatar

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

This IS my signature fragrance. I fell in love with it the minute I saw the ad and sniffed the sample. I adore spicy/incense perfumes. I wear this daily, 90% of the time. Occasionally I wear Opium for a change of pace. I love the peppery/cedar scent when it first goes on. After it settles I love the woody/smoky/comfort/warmth scent. I am so disapointed that I can only seem to get this on ebay. It never fails though, if I love it it disappears.

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Bois de Cédrat by Creed

I can't quite bring myself to give this a neutral rating, anymore that I can bring myself to go to a restaurant and complain that the waiter brought me a lime or a lemon, while I distinctly asked for a cedrat.

BdC is much too linear for me. Still, one could wear it for Spring and Summer and REL for Autumn and Winter and be done with it!

No one could fault your ever so refined taste if you stuck to these two alone.

No more fragrance addiction! Take up Scrabble or Yahtzee as a hobby. But then life would be rather boring , wouldn't it?

BdC as the name translates is a forest of lim--er--I mean cedrat. It's definitely a 'gentlemen's' scent with a delightful feel and a depressing price tag.

I rather like it. For a while.

04 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 June, 2009)

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Cornubia by Penhaligon's

A dry oriental that is sweet but not overly fruity, it's a heavy scent compared to the other female penhaligons. In that sense I could say it's darker and has a bit more punch to it which suits me fine. I think this could work for anyone who liked Hammam but found it just a bit too much to wear daily, just make sure not to over apply. Other scents it reminds me of would be angelique encense from creed, it has the same heavy powder base and incense feeling to it.

04 April, 2009

zenpiper's avatar

Quorum Silver by Antonio Puig

Funny thing. This is not an exceptional fragrance in my estimation, but it is extremely pleasant and compelling. It seems like a high-end drugstore fragrance, and that's fine. I am not a snob about these things. I have no idea what's in it, but I like it; it is light, aromatic and lasts a long time. It is also slightly unique, but not breath-takingly so. Still, it's a go-to fragrance for those rare days when I am undecided or want something different.

04 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2009)