Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

Ralph by Ralph Lauren

I find it very hard to believe that anything could think this smells bad. I understand that it may not be for everyone, but it is so inoffensive. It may not be that unique, but I believe that Ralph does it better than every light fruity floral out there. LOVE IT.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

I don't know what it is, but I just don't like this scent. I felt like it would be right up my alley, but its just annoying. It gives me a headache, I think it may be the cucumber note. Its like spicy cucumber or something. I'll pass.

Voyage by Nautica

This is a great scent for hot weather. Very clean and inoffensive. It isn't sharp or sour like most aquatics, but rather clean and fruity. The melon dominates the fragrance. Two thumbs up.

04 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 May, 2009)

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

I love Double Black. It smells so classy. Woods, Coffee with some fruit blended perfectly. Longevity is about average. Good for colder weather and would work for formal wear.

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

I disagree that it smells like Burberry London. London to me smells very sweet like black licorice and tobacco leaves whereas Attitude has a spicy/smokey mocha smell to it. Nevertheless, I LOVE Attitude. Thumbs Up!

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

To me it smells almost identical to Versace Man Eau Fraiche. The Beat is a little more spicy/green. I like Versace better.

Sunnyfunny's avatar

Heaven by Gap

Heaven is a bouquet of clean, freshly picked white flowers tied together with a strip of blue gingham cloth. It is as lighthearted as a barefooted romp through an open field.

It is described as a pure white bouquet, headlined by jasmine, which I have come to learn I like very much. It stays true, but it doesn't last much over two hours. This isn't a huge issue, though, because refreshing with that opening blast is cool and lovely.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

I have tried to like this one over and over again, only to come to the same disappointment every time. I only smell PLASTIC in this one. It's like I've been playing with Fisher-Price toys all day. This isn't comforting or appealing to me in the slightest. Maybe, if I was a teething baby, I'd enjoy this one, but no thank you.

A definitely no go for me. Sorry guys

Joop! Homme by Joop!

I have never smelt anything remotely close to Joop! Homme. It's extremely unique and in it's own class. It is so strong it will knock you off your feet if you abuse it's application. One spray is WAY enough, and two, well, your just asking for it...

I don't get any cinnamon in this fragrance. I do get a very sweet aroma that's musky and sharp. It's somewhat creamy and similar to some sort of cleaning product or bathroom spray, but that's the point of this one. It makes you think about it. It's not a simple message to the senses. It will leave you frozen in your tracks trying to find out what the hell its trying to say. It's an evolutionary process from the first spray, till the moment you step in the shower.

I'm liking this fragrance more and more each time I wear it. At first it was just offensive and bold. I put on two sprays and I could smell it through out the whole house and it was just to much.

I bought the 2.5 ounce because it's going to last a very long time. I recommend firing one shot at your chest and then putting on your shirt shortly after. ANY more of this stuff and it's just nauseating and distracting in bad way. But when applied in a sparing manner, this stuff is pure awesome and does very well on me.

I love the bottle and the color of the juice. I think Joop did a very nice job with this one. But, I think the box should of had a big warning label that is a legal requirement for people to read before opening. APPLY LIGHTLY!!!

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I can officially say now that Kouros is borderline chemical warfare. I heard so many boasting reviews on here that I bought a bottle and have worn it at least 10 times now. The last time will be my last. It was one of those experiences that leaves such a mark you'll never go back to relive it ever again. I ended up having to lather in strong soap 4 times before getting it off me and had to wash my bedding in bleach. All from only TWO sprays. To add to that, my little brother gagged and felt sick for the rest of the night because he couldn't get the smell out of his head.

I could lightly spray Kouros on my lower back and put on multiple layers and still feel like I've been pissed on by someone that's eaten garlic, fish, curry, and booze. This is the epitome is sewage.

Hands down, without a doubt, this is the most offensive scent I have ever smelt. Never have I once received a positive comment while wearing this vile liquid.

I can't see why anyone would think of this as true sex appeal. It's flat out nasty and repulsive. A definite chick repellent.

To all the people on here who rave about this bottled piss, either your natural scent already smells of roses, or your just straight up nose deaf and should find another hobby.

04 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 June, 2009)

The Dreamer by Versace

Dreamer is without a doubt, on my top 5!!! I love it from the moment it's applied till the dreaded event of washing it off.
    I haven't heard anyone say this yet, but I slightly smell some Joop! homme in this one. Joop! is much sweeter, but I smell some sort of fruity sweetness in Dreamer that is a major turn on to my senses. It is also lighter than Joop.

I don't think the initial is abrasive in the slightest. It's extremely fresh and exciting. I almost smell lime in the first couple minutes. After a while this masterpiece turns warm and sweet. I love it's sweetness. It's my favorite part of it. I will even wear this one in the summer it's so fresh.

I honestly can't get enough of this stuff. Truly a favorite for me. I wish I could explain it better. I am frustrated that I am unable to come up with a better description!

Try this one on your skin to see how it does. WAIT for the dry down before you get discouraged and wash it off. Women love this, I love this and maybe you will too.

A masterpiece! Thank you Versace! I couldn't of dreamed up a better frag if I tried.

x-man's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Jean Marie Farina by Roger & Gallet

Almost identical to 4711 and I love them both. Colognes that can change your mood from bad to good. Probably the only scents that boost the feeling of freshness once you get out of the shower... You have to appreciate that.

The longevity of Jean Marie Farina is somewhat better in comparison to 4711. I might be wrong on that one. However, for some strange reason, I don't mind that.

A timeless classic.

04 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 19 May, 2009)

adonis's avatar

Clean Provence by Clean

Tried most of the "Clean" line today. I'm sniffing Provence on my hand right now. It's nice - feminine and young. Definitely not a man's scent. I like the light soapy ones, so it's hard to be critical. No sillage, but a guy nuzzled up to your neck would like it indeed. Safe, but sometimes safe is good. Worth trying out.

JGbeader's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Sa Majesté la Rose by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Well... I was given a sample of Sa Majeste t'other day. After more than 20 years (yes!) I've just used up my 55ml spray bottle of Shiseido Rosarium EdP (y'all know the connection), which I'd kept always stored away from sunlight in a cool cupboard. Amazing longevity. The bottle is still resplendent with the fragrance: very powerful, almost overwhelming-green top notes and then the lush, rain-drenched red rose (tea and bourbon roses melded, to my mind) slowly settling into a spicy-rose dry-down. Lovely, when I'm in the mood for smelling sensually rosy. Long story short, Sa Maj is pretty much Rosarium, perhaps not as fabulously diverse or intense in its notes, but recognisably the same. I'd love another bottle of Rosarium though - it seems better. Perhaps I'm just being scentimental. After all, a fragrance that's been in your life that long is like favorite poetry or music, a kind of counterpoint and/or commentary on both the spirit and the body of your existence.

kathclip's avatar

Halston by Halston

I first tried and loved Halston in 1978, and wore it for years. For various reasons, I fell away, and came back this year to discover that the fragrance is absolutely and completely different. It now comes up with a grossly powdery scent straight from the bottle, and cheap and skunky as it dries; the long term base is like some drugstore Coty scent from my youth, which I'm happy not to be able to place. The lovely, woodsy, intimate fragrance I remember and so loved is clearly long gone; in reading, I can see that Halston changed when Elizabeth Arden started distributing it, and their Halston is just nothing like the Halston of Halston's glory days (well, perhaps very slightly -- there is some very, very faint echo of Halston's former wonderful ness in this ghastly odor). Darn.

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

There is something in the top notes of 'Michael' that just doesn't sit well on me. I was bought this fragrance by an 18 year old female cousin, when I was about 24. I'm not sure what she was trying to say about me, but there is definitely something of the 'distinguished gentleman' about this fragrance, and I certainly was not distinguished at that time. Maybe she just thought I smelt of cigarettes, so got this to blend in.

Not for me, but I can see why people like its smoky, luxurious notes.

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

I bought this back in the day because I loved the bottle, which reminded me of the Emily Dickinson lines, "Tell all the truth, but tell it slant", which is a favourite poem of mine.

The fragrance did not disappoint, and made me think of springtime in the metropolis, of tennis clubs, and fresh white towels. Almost minty fresh, but more of a marine herbs tip, I wear a lot of this.

Tell all the Truth but tell it slant---
    Success in Cirrcuit lies
    Too bright for our infirm Delight
    The Truth's superb surprise
    As Lightening to the Children eased
    With explanation kind
    The Truth must dazzle gradually
    Or every man be blind---

Sentiment for Men by Escada

Yes, there is a lot of artificiality on initial application, but drydown reveals a quiet, sophisticated scent. By no means a show-stopper, by no means offensive.

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

I bought this on an aeroplane flying over Europe, and was initially shocked by the sweet fruits and strong anise on initial display (as was the poor girl sat next to me, no doubt…). Drydown is subtler, but still with an overture of alluring, sexy sweetness.

This definitely has something for me that keeps it just on the classy side of sicklysweet. It's not an everyday scent; I tend to wear it in the evening, when I want to make a statement.

It makes me think of a hot, sticky, European night, when sleep is the last thing on your mind…

Zgb's avatar

Chrome by Azzaro

Very fresh. Hint of metallic. Incredible. So subtle, but yet so much there and full of energy! Excellent for spring and summer.

I have to make a little edit about this: this scent gets noticed and complimented and it is not strictly a spring/summer scent, it's incredible how well it develops in cold weather!

04 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th December, 2010)

omniray's avatar

Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

i dont smell just calone, if your nose smell only this, try to check it..

to me,. is a nice semi-aquatic base with a some floral-sweet touch,

calm, relax and comfortable.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Galanos by Galanos

Somewhere between O de Lancome and Paloma Picasso. Very late 70's early 80's. Not bad but not distinctive in my opinion.

360 Degrees Pure for Men by Perry Ellis

This feels like a stripped down version of the original 360. Woody florals but much lighter than 360. Has a very "cologny" feel to it. Lasted about 4 hours so it's ok, I guess. Nothing special.

Paradigm by Avon

Paradigm is a wonderful mix of Italian like woods and spices. Appropriately enough is that on the sample packet I received of this, there's a rather dapper Italian man on it. one of the few scents from Avon that I've found surprising considering the fragrance company. Cheap with a thumbs up.

Trailblazer by Avon

Old style albeit weak leather and tonka bean chypre. Don't know when this was released from Avon but I feel as if it's not one to pursue to find a bottle of since there are better and many more leather chypres out there.

212 White Men by Carolina Herrera

Being a non-fan of the original 212, I find White to be a very decent change. Milky tobacco and spicy vetiver. However, the lavender/floral-like heart doesn't sit well for me. But the overall scent is quite nice.

Mister by Jasper Conran

Opens up like L'Anarchiste minus the "ashtray" accord that a few mention. Very fruity and has tonka bean in the drydown. When I read the name and designer I thought that it would be a discontinued 80's type of scent from an unheardof (by me) designer. Seeing that it's a more recent release I feel that it's a retro style scent. The tonka bean and a wood accord is a huge player in this overall gentleman's cologne.

Private Collection - Cedre Sandaraque by Parfumerie Generale

A gourmand cedar, like eating a praline cedar cakelog topped with almonds except you got it all over yourself. Aside from fans of this house, who'd want to wear this? The drydown is too spicy and still foody. I just feel uncomfortable wearing it.

Duro by Nasomatto

Leather and woods. Very thick in composition (and price! good lord!). Very strong and long lasting. Feels like a retro modern scent, like those leather chypres from days of yore but made with aromachemicals and different accords namely some oud. So, we have oud, leather and woods and together, while nice smelling, won't be appealing to all. Try before you buy (as with all fragrances). I love a good woods based scent but I'm not too keen on this one due to price and a tad too much oud.

Verde Bosco by I Profumi di Firenze

Very, very bitter grapefruit and green on a Cool Water-like (fougere) base (at least on me). Aromatic, simple, pleasing and uplifting. Good stuff.