Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

Ambre Gris by Pierre Balmain

Rich, deep and resinous. A great blend of tuberose, ambery notes and a musk. Love the smoky woods in this. Overall, a vanilla-ed rose. Nice scent.

Merbert's avatar

Violetta di Parma by Borsari

This used to be a regular fragrance for me about 25 years ago when I was going through my "violet phase". I've grown the petite violetta di Parma and the Borsari does something quite interesting; it makes no attempt to replicate the isolated scent of the bloom. It instead captures the plant in its native environment, shady, damp, green and earthy. It also bursts forth upon application much as the violet does at the end of winter, calmly defiant of the cold. There must be orris root in it which adds a lovely powdery drydown. For those looking for a violet blossom fragrance, Violette di Parma is not a good match. But for a more earthy and green experience with a hint of blossom, this relatively inexpensive perfume is a lovely choice.

Merbert's avatar

Joy by Jean Patou

Review based upon the vintage pafum.
    I second Vibert's feelings of Joy's reminiscence of Amouage Gold for Men to be spot on. Unlike the Amouage, the powder, indoles and civet are flawlessly balanced. And what a glorious presentation of civet it is!

After the aldehydes fade, a rich and almost chewy floral bouquet blooms. I don't feel that the rose is as up-front as some people, but sense more Italian and Spanish jasmines, tuberose, and the sweetness of Michelia champaca. Rose is present, but not predominating. Also present is that sweet comfort of sandalwood the way it used to smell, not the biting skanky scent that is passed as sandalwood these days.

You would think that such heady scents as jasmine, tuberose and champaca would eradicate the opening civet, yet it remains until the end.

Joy is a confident woman, subtly sensual, and always romantic.

ortho123's avatar

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

A.Grape juice.
    B.Phosphate laden detergent.
    C.Green (as in money making) bug spray.
    D.None of the above.
    E.All of the above.

The answer is E, which stands for Eternity.

It's not that this stuff was everywhere for awhile. It is an intrinsically bad disjointed composition if even only one person wore it.

Wear this if you want to feel weird and foolish.

ortho123's avatar

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I ultimately agree with Ken Russel on this one. Campy. Along with the list of ingredients. Ultimately, past the mandarin, this is a cinnamonic/patchouli scent, a little churchy for me in its clove and sandalwood. Readily sold as a knock off essential oil on a table in a park. Somewhat overrated despite it obvious cheap, yes I said it, cheap theatrics that eventually settle down.

05th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st July, 2009)

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

Nicole Farhi Homme by Nicole Farhi

Issey Miyake L'Eau Bleue Pour Homme revisited, if you like that one then fine, but too sharp for me.

Myspunge's avatar

England England

Rose de Siwa / FK2 by MDCI

SIWA is not, as you might imagine, a sinister organization devoted to the overthrow of decency but an Egyptian oasis of which M. Marchal has fond memories. Whatever. The scent is Turkish rose with the occasional backbite of sub-Nahéma lacquer. Irreproachable, i.e., null. How can someone be as accomplished as Francis K without accomplishing anything ?

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

One of the better designer scents of the 90s. Modern, sexy and certainly a classic in-the-making.

05th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 13th August, 2009)

Aramis Life by Aramis

I wasn't too optimistic about trying Life, since it does seem like a steer away from what Aramis is good at, and famous for. Well, true enough, this isn't a break through scent of any sort, and will probably be surplus to fresh scents you already own. A typical designer citrus fragrance with a generic woody base. Forgettable, very.

05th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 12th January, 2010)

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

A decent smokey oriental that is likely to be easily popular with most people. Longevity, the lack of, is a huge issue for me.

05th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 29th October, 2009)

La Cologne Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

A greener version of the original Fleur du Male. Though the sweetness is subdued, it is not eliminated. The floral notes on this are still pretty good.

05th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 22nd August, 2009)

Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

A very poor release from Hugo Boss. An absolutely mediocre aquatic attempt. Hugo Boss, it is time to get your act together.

05th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 22nd September, 2009)

dacerace's avatar

Paul Smith London for Men by Paul Smith

I first smelt a friend wearing this...and I had to ask what he was wearing.I can see comparisons to Obsession night...but London has more depth.This is definitely one you shouldn't over spray...used correctly,you can smell a lovely coconutty smell all night...and lots of people compliment it.I can still get the odd whiff on me after nearly 24 hours of first applying....and yes I do wash!...What a fantastic stayer.

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

The first impression I got from Narciso Rordriguez for Him (NRfH) was... "this is very original and weird". After this, I realized analogous notes as those of Sisley's Eau de Campagne (SEdC).

Thus, I can't review NRfH without mentioning its main reference (SEdC): the logical thing to do is to compare notes as mentioned by the Base Notes Directory -

Sisley's Eau de Campagne:

Top notes: bergamot, lemon, basil, wild herbs, galbanum
    Mid: tomato leaves, lily of the valley, jasmine, geranium, plum
    Base: oak moss, patchouli, vetiver, musk

Narciso Rodriguez for Him:

Violet Leaf, Patchouli, Amber, Musk.

Well, so far, I must be wrong, ga ga or else, suffering from some sort of olfactory condition since common notes are just not that many: please do grant me the benefit of the doubt - I tried NRfH at a shopping mall and Sisley's EdC hand to hand once at home and the top notes, after one hour, were very similar. Take Eau de Campagne by Sisley top notes and make them strong as a perfume: both are green, but NR's is far from subtle.

After two hours, EdC's subtleness settles close to the skin while NR's stills lingers there. At that point, mid and base notes analogies dissapear, since the animalic and orientals notes in NRfH prevail.

Thus, if your are the sort of fragrance lover into "gentlemanly" or "well to do / classy" scents, conservative in style and demeanor, capable of enjoying Eaux de Colognes albeit their limited longevity and very shy sillage, or the EdTs with points in common with them, you will surely feel confident with Sisley's Eau de Campagne. Now, if your prefer scents that are bold, akin to "a la page" styles and / or lover of notoriousness, choose the later. Either way you won't be decieved, since both reflect these different styles in a very honest, transparent way.

Dia Woman by Amouage

Gorgeous! Dia is in the same rich, oriental "family" as Chanel's Coco, Fendi (woman), or the original Magie Noir. Dia is rich, spicy, sensuous. It does seem to melt into the skin, and has a lovely prolonged warm-ambery drydown. It is very sophisticated, very "French" in style. The sillage is medium strong and the lasting power is very good.

Ciel Woman by Amouage

Not that interesting white flowers fragrance. It is not awful, but for the prestige of Amouage and the price point, it could be a lot better.

Lyric Woman by Amouage

Lyric Woman is just gorgeous. It's very much like Guerlain's Nahema and Caron's Parfum Sacre decided to have a beatiful, spicy, brilliant, cherubic baby. Anyone who loves rich roses, spices and incense will enjoy this fragrance. Excellent.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Nemo by Cacharel

Warm, woody comfort scent. I feel like locking myself in a room, throwing away the key and just spending the whole day with my nose close to my Nemo-perfumed chest. A truly alluring scent in a truly hideous bottle.

Utkuak's avatar

Finland Finland

Scuderia Ferrari Black by Ferrari

This was one of the first fragrances that I bought, but even back then I didn't think this was that great. My initial impression was that this is "nice", and because at the time I wasn't aware of any better offerings I bought it.

At the store I only tried Black on paper and thought that it's a mild citrus, but once I tried it on my skin at home, I quickly realized that this is more of an inoffensive oriental with some lemony smell thrown in. At the time I wasn't aware that scents are usually "supposed" to develop as time passes, so I didn't expect any development, nor was there any to speak of. To my nose the smell stayed pretty much the same the entire time.

After a few uses this became really boring and when I compare it to all the other fragrances I've tried after buying this one, I can also say that Black smells kind of cheap. I could have given this one a neutral rating because I don't hate the way it smells, but when I hardly have anything positive to say, I'm going with thumbs down. There are many better fragrances available at this price so get one of those, unless Ferrari Black is exactly what you are looking for.

Utkuak's avatar

Finland Finland

Boss Pure by Hugo Boss

Pure was one my very first fragrance purchases, and even at the time I bought it I didn't like it very much, but I wanted to explore the world of scents and Hugo Boss was one of the very few fragrance manufacturers I knew about, so I went with Pure since I already owned Selection.

On paper Pure smelled fresh, but it's citrus felt clearly too synthetic to my nose, even though I didn't even know the difference between synthetic and organic fragrances at that point. This didn't change when I applied Pure on my skin, but what I wasn't expecting was, that the smell would develop over time, because back then I didn't know that most scents are designed to move through different stages before they settle down to the basenotes.

The synthetic citrus was quite quickly followed by a much milder, but often persistent, smell that I find hard to describe with words, partly because it didn't remind me of anything specific. What I can say, however, is that this later phase didn't smell "pure" like the very beginning. Calling the smell dirty would go a bit too far, but it certainly had an earthy, powderly and "unclean" quality to it. This did give Pure some masculine character, which was probably also the intent.

Pure doesn't usually last very long on my skin, but sometimes the basenotes seem to hang around for quite some time. The citrus at the beginning can be easily smelled, but after it goes away the scent can become very weak in a matter of minutes. I wouldn't try to fix that by going nuts with the spray, however, because this scent can smell really awful when over applied.

Those who are looking for a good "fresh" or citrus scent might be better off with something else. You could try Acqua di Parma's Colonia Assoluta, Chanel's Allure Homme Sport, Giorgio Armani's Acqua di Giò pour Homme, Issey Miyake's L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme, Kenzo's L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme or Versace's Versace pour Homme just to name a few. I personally find Versace pour Homme to be almost identical with Pure, but everything has been done better in it. Therefore, I would recommend anyone who likes Pure to try Versace pour Homme before buying Pure.

As a final note I'd like to say that Pure's cap is really cheap and the bottle looks awful in my opinion, although you can use the backside of the bottle as a small mirror. Pure shower gel is actually quite good, but I can't recommend the rest of the product range.

decillisjl's avatar

Noir by S.T. Dupont

Thanks to my dear friend Dimi I recently got a bottle... This isn't a knock your socks off your feet blow your head off fragrance, but I'm becoming quite a fan. The pyramid pretty much sums it up, but some notes definately take center stage... first blast to the skin reveals a very dry mint with a gentle backdrop of seche lavender. the mint clears out a bit as the warm spices and soft woods begin their ghost-like ascent. (as a sidenote I am extremely fond of Bois du Portugal, but I am beginning to think I prefer the wood note in StDN at a miniscule fraction of the price) I can't seem to discern vetiver in its final progression, but it does develop a bit of creaminess that could be attributed to the "cashmeran?"... this is definately a proximity scent, as sillage is moderate at best, but the longevity is amazing... after the first ten minutes this beauty is fairly linear, but how can you fault something for continuing to smell beautiful for hours??? I wouldn't necessarily recommend this for evening attire, but I would find it to be a high quality powerhouse for the office or daytime wear, especially in the summer when something heavier would come off as a bit "too much". Thumbs way up, and along with Carven Homme will be the best "value" scents that remains in constant rotation

asw's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

I adore Youth Dew. It makes me feel like a good little 1950s housewife- a domestic goddess!!

asong4lulu's avatar

Geminesse by Max Factor

That scent defined me!
    I couldn't stop smelling it...It gave me a lot of self-confidence & smile more often-I cherished it, and when I couldn't find it, I looked for new ones, but really I was looking for IT!
    Was never wild about the name though?!
    VBW

Tonya D.'s avatar

Touch by Fred Hayman

If I reviewed this the first time I tested it, I would have to come back and edit the review. I was a little unsure about this one because it was slightly sweet and very innocent smelling. I don't always want to come across sweet and innocent, but this perfume has more to it than that. It 's very elegant, comforting, and ladylike and for those reasons it has become my favorite. It smells of a very beautiful rose soap on me... very feminine and lovely. I really enjoy this one and I'm glad I kept wearing it after the first try. It's a perfume for an angel. ;)

Tonya D.'s avatar

Roma by Laura Biagiotti

I love the warm vanilla in Roma and that's what stands out the most to me. I do get the pine, but it's really a light and it won't knock you over smelling of pine-sol. I think this perfume is perfect for fall, and makes a great Thanksgiving home for the holidays kind of perfume. I don't really get much of the powdery smell with my skin chemistry for some reason. This is my go to perfume for that cozy, comforting, and snuggly feeling.

periquito89's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

Smelling this took me back to my early 90's, most of all the 1992 year, when it was launched. It has some kind of an asceptic, cleaning smell, and today I feel that a note is missing, maybe a sweet note. The scent is linear, and longevity is very good. May be a safe choice, as has been said, for an young adult, or a more mature guy, for the office or going business. More to the mature side of the things, I think. Not so confortable scent, so I give it a neutral.

RuffDawg's avatar

Oh My Dog! by Dog Generation

This is a nice, light scent for your pooch. IMO It smells like a baby shampoo. I sprayed it on my wrist & rubbed some onto my Pit Bull Cooper. The scent lasts MUCH longer on his fur than on my skin. Probably because its formulated for DOGS not humans, right? LOL. He didnt seem to mind the scent at all, he doesnt like many of the "people" perfumes I wear, especially PRADA, he HATES that one, LOL. I wonder why Basenotes has this listed with the female symbol? This isnt marketed as a femine fragrance, its marketed as a scent for DOGS. I'm looking at the box right now, it says "EAU DE TOILETTE VAPORISATEUR SPRAY FOR DOG* *POUR CHIEN" The box (and the manufactures website) says nothing about this scent being for females, it says its for dogs, and it doesnt specify female dogs only either, lol. Theres NOTHING feminine about this scent, it smells just like a lightly scented baby shampoo & thats about it. I give it a thumbs up because its not a bad scent for a dog. I doubt that I'll purchase another bottle though.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

CK In 2U Her by Calvin Klein

Basically a trashy citrus/vanilla/musk, but I admit, I like it. It's friendly and easy to wear. The cedar in it is reminiscent of the original Burberry scent in the round bottle. Will undoubtedly appeal to teens and the college crowd.

06th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th July, 2009)

elm0505's avatar

Spain Spain

Vanille Peach by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

This is one of the best vanilla-based fragrances I have ever tried. I already got my so coveted flacon via eBay and everything about it is just good.

Starting with the container, it's just awesome to everyday use and travelling: metallic so it won't break in case you drop it, and protecting the product from the light. And regarding weight issues, it's so light that it seems like it's empty when holding it -but it's actually not. That's why they're called "eaux de voyage"!

I would also call them "eaux de bonheur" -bonheur standing for happiness. As for the fragrance, I feel like a blast of sweet and warm breeze upon the first spray. I don't know why, for me it smells of hot weather, juicy and ripe peaches combined with a rich and balanced vanilla, sweet but not in a foody-teeny-gourmandy way; as some reviewers have stated previously, it's darker and more mysterious.

After a few hours, it settles down to a warm vanilla scent with creamy notes. It's lasting power is remarkable also: two spritzs last all day, even after my evening gym sesion -sweat and shower included.

I feel so proud owning this. Strangely enough, either this is a limited edition or it's been discontinued, as it's hard to get and it's not listed in the CSP website any more -why, oh why????

If you love vanilla scents, get hold of a bottle while you can -and given its metallic package I assume this scents can last years and years.

My next "catch" is going to be Vanille Citrus, that's for sure.

vawallpa's avatar

Bijan VIP for Men by Bijan

Very nice bottle and packagiing as with all these line of bijan scents. Very cheaply priced but a designer scent. In the same vein as Salvatore Ferragamo but better. Nice and spicy, woddsy and slightly tropical with some citrus thrown in, not the greatest in it's class but worth the money.