Fragrance Reviews from May 2009

ComDiva's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

Well done, but I did not find this inspiring. I was expecting something ground-breaking, given all the hype. To my nose Cool Water is a fairly straightforward aquatic that doesn't like my skin chemistry much.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès

I tend to shy away from vetiver, as it usually brings the masculine gender to my mind when I get a whiff. What a nice suprise to find this Vetiver Tonka! It doesn't have the usual "masculine" feel to my nose, which makes wearing it a dream! bbBD's commentary is thorough and accurate. VT's sillage & longevity are superior, especially for such a sheer scent. As it wears on my skin, it becomes a bit 'acidic', but not to the point of disdain. This entire range of Hermessence fragrance is simple, quality & fun, I'm lovin' it!

Embruns d'Essaouira by Montale

I think I must be anosmic to something in Embruns d'Essaoira - I can sort of sense it rather than actually smell it. I get hints of grapefruit, soap and salt, which add up to something much softer and milder and rounder and sweeter than it sounds like. The little I smell is pleasant enough.

Sandflowers by Montale

Much like Fougeres Marine, I perceive Sandflowers as more minty than obviously marine, though it has a dry, mineralic saltiness combined with herbal notes reminding me of Miller Harris' Fleurs de Sel. To my mind, Sandflowers is pretty much an inferior Fleurs de Sel, with an added cool, campherous mint note that I'm not particularly fond of. If you're a fan of mint and prefer fragrances with a sort of transparent "fresh air" feeling to the sunny, earthy warmth of Fleurs de Sel, you might very well appreciate it more than I do.

Fougères Marines by Montale

Hmm, I think this is a minty fougere rather than a marine fougere... Cool and fresh, yes, but there's nothing obviously marine about it, nothing salty or smelly like the sea. It reminds me a bit of L'Artisan's discontinued L'eau de Caporal which I tried recently. Neither mint nor citrus are listed among the notes, yet I think I feel both. Maybe it's a minty/citrusy geranium oil, maybe it's the notes making up the "sea freshness" accord. I certainly wouldn't mind if I smelled this on a gentleman, but it's nothing I feel very strongly about wearing myself.

likouala_man's avatar

Royal Scottish Lavender by Creed

I'm on my second bottle of Royal Scottish Lavender. After a year away from it and tiring of the sweet and fruity genre, I came back to this dated, sharp, but nicely composed fragrance. I did wonder if the composition had changed as I didn't notice the vanilla at all in my first bottle of RSL. The lavender seemed more antiseptic and astringent the first time around, but the nose perceives scents differently the second time around too. This second bottle does give a clear vanilla note. I've tried most of the Creeds and this one gets my vote for most long term appeal. It is good stuff, especially for the summer and makes me want to get to know lavender better. Maybe I'll spring for a bottle of LV Wild Lavender soon...

scentsitivity's avatar

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Obsession for Men was one of the first fragrances I picked up when my interest in fragrance was first germinating. My bottle was a 0.5 oz mini, which I wore infrequently years ago, but at the time felt it was warm, spicy, classy and masculine. I put it aside for a long while. Since then I have tried numerous other CK fragrances. I have been disappointed with most of them and would reflect, "well, there is one good CK fragrance, Obsession for Men." And that is how I felt for years. I recently revisited my mini bottle and was disappointed. "Had it gone bad?", I wondered. So I got a current sample and have tested it twice. The results echoed my recent disappointment: how much my opinion has changed! No longer do I think of it as a warm, spicy fragrance, but rather as ultra-soapy, very much reminding me of dial soap (from 20+ years ago, I cannot speak of it any more) and a tad bit sour. Honestly, I think it is rather inferior stuff now and certainly can’t envision wearing it ever again.

scentsitivity's avatar

Aromatic Lime by Montale

Aromatic? Sure. Lime? Well, not the way I would ever want to smell it. This reminds me of a horrible caricature of Penhaligon's Douro. It is stuffy to start with and the dry down reminds me of stagnant water. Near the worst Montale's I have tried to date.

Nacht's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Habit Rouge Sport by Guerlain

They would better call it "L'Instant Sport..."

Sugandaraja's avatar

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

This is my review for the "2008 Harvest" edition.

The top notes have a distinct papery quality. It's a note I've smelled clearly in other fragrances, but I'm at a loss to describe it as anything other than "new magazine smell". The rose is there, demurely, as well as a floral note that brings to mind peonies.

As the paper note fades the fragrance starts smelling more definitely of rose, but the SA who gave me a sample of it described it quite accurately as "rosy but not smelling like a rose". The listed notes say something about star anise, but my nose fails to detect that as a distinct note. I only smell a slight soapy-spiciness in the heart and base.

The sillage is soft, but the longevity is good.

On the negative, there is something about this that just smells "cheap", somehow. Too much in common with various shampoos for its own good, and with so many excellent roses on the market... you have to ask what makes this one worth your time.

None the less, there is enough charm in this fragrance to give it a thumbs up.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

I'm looking at that note list and feeling baffled - how does stuff resemble ANY of those notes?

The top notes are mildly aquatic, and yet somehow burnt and dark at the same time, like burning cellophane. Something caramelized sweetens this as it progresses, and by the heart I'm reminded, finally, of something pleasant that I recognize - Norwegian whey cheese! It's an unlikely analogy, I know, but a friend spotted the eerie resemblance too.

Needless to say, burning plastic, aquatic notes and whatever makes this smell like whey cheese does not make a pleasant fragrance. Its soft sillage I'm grateful for, but as for longevity - three hours and this got washed off!

Sorry folks, this one's a scrubber.

arlecchino's avatar

His Cologne by D.R. Harris & co.

This is a real favorite of mine, and reminiscent of rosewood prominent fragrances like Egoiste and Carven Homme, but drier, earthier, and with a more “antique British men’s product” feeling, as if it is a mix of strange botanicals not used in modern perfumery. The opening smells a lot like San Pellegrino Chinotto (which is my favorite soft drink). I agree with the linseed oil mentioned in the previous review, and as it dries down I do sense a dry bitter cocoa dustiness, with some clay like aromas as well. Very very unique fragrance.

SirSlarty's avatar

Artisan by John Varvatos

Orangey, spicy, woody. I don't get the citrus blast (I've read it in a number of other reviews) but more of a smoother orange blossom/neroli type top opening. The middle is quite like Gucci Envy's ginger but not powdery and the drydown is a nice smooth spicy woods. JV wanted to make a lighter fragrance for warmer weather but it seems to fall short in that aspect as it still feels too heavy for such after the orange blossom dries off. Still a nice orangey gingerwoods.

Kaern's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I purchased TDH when it was first launched and liked very much, especially in the later stages. The fragrance produced an aura of orange, salt and vetiver that diffused everywhere and I was enchanted. I re-purchased last year and pretty much disliked it. It seemed to be very dry, dusty and almost unpleasant. I can't really explain the shift in perception, but moved it on quickly. The average must be a neutral.

Kaern's avatar

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Er -- I think the clue is in the name, some seem surprised at its tropical nature as though birch and tar would be more apt. Suntan lotion fragrances always elicit happy memories, but I have never used one that smells quite as good as this and which also lasts for ages. Don't think it would quite sit right on cool days for obvious reasons, but hey whatever works for you. Lime, rum and cream coconut -- let yourself drift away............

Leesee's avatar

Chant Du Coeur by Shiseido

A cool floral with a splash of green and a powdery drydown, this is an extremely pretty scent that somehow manages to be faintly dull at the same time.

6opar's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

This Prada release is defined by class, elegance and intimacy. I feel clean and very comfortable wearing it - stays close to the skin . It is bold and successful in its simplicity.
    The soapy notion everyone is talking about is coming from the musk/neroli notes which are sublimely deepened by leather and indonesian patchouli.
    It just feels so right in choosing Prada Amber for daily use/intimate moments.

djolney's avatar

Vetiver Dance by Tauer

Sadly, on me, this is wet earth sprinkled with pepper and just a hint of rotting tree bark.

Andy Tauer is very talented, so I think this is strictly a case of body chemistry.

If you can’t wear this one, give Montale Red Vetiver a go.

01st May, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 July, 2009)

Jestersinthemoon's avatar

Artisan by John Varvatos

As soon as I read the pyramid for this scent, I knew I wanted to try it. Finally found it in stock at the local Sephora and gave both arms a good spray along with bringing home a sample.

First off, let me say that I am biased. I'm the type of person who has no qualms about wearing clean fresh citrus frags year round. I don't, but I would have no problem doing so. I love all citruses, but particularly bergamot, neroli, and lemon..........especially when done right.

Anyway, I wasn't a big fan of the original JV, or Vintage, but this one is a clear winner in my book. Huge blasts of multifaceted orange and citrus washes over you as soon as you spray it. It is very artfully done, with just a hint of sweetness. The ginger brings a slightly candied aspect to the scent, but its definitely not overly sweet. Its not as tart or pithy as I prefer some of my citruses to be, but that doesn't take anything away from the fragrance. The bottle is classy, and honestly, this is one of the few frags I've found lately where I feel like the bottle is a perfect representation of the fragrance found within.

After a few minutes, the orange settles without disappearing, but is accompanied by the ginger, some light florals and some soft woodsy notes. The woven basket covering of the bottle reminds me of sitting in a wicker chair on the porch of a Caribbean beach house, white linen everywhere, with a basket of freshly cut oranges,a Mimosa at hand, and the scent of fresh white flowers on the breeze ..........take away any hint of salt or oceanic smells from that scenario and thats exactly what this fragrance smells like.

An excellent fragrance. Of course, being a citrus, it does not last forever, but as I am a advocate of this particular type of scent, I have gotten used to carrying around a 2ml atomizer of whatever I happen to be wearing in order to freshen up when necessary. Now, this is not a power fragrance or something to wear in order to get noticed, by any means. Even if you doused yourself with this stuff, it would still be very unimposing. Great for those wanting to smell good without burning your associates nose hairs.

Try this. I think many people with love it.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Dark Rose by Czech & Speake

Nothing dark about this rose. This is a regal rose of great subtlety and elegance. An absolutely charmer and perfectly wearable on a man. No pun intended but Dark Rose is a rose among the thorns in C&A unbalanced lineup.

pinkmimosa's avatar

Beach by Bobbi Brown

I'll agree with everyone, it's pretty, it smells like Coppertone, it evokes a lot of memories, sure - but what's much more important for everyone to know is how powerfully and effectively this fragrance can be used to attract American men who share these flashbacks. I have never emptied a bottle of perfume so fast as when I realised how curiously the male nose will follow your every move. Especially in winter! They don't know what it is, only that it makes them think of skin. This is a God-send! I thank you, Bobbi! Thank you! Incidentally - for me, my flashback is life as a five year old on the beaches of Long Island Sound in the 70's, with curly-haired blonde eighteen year old boys all around me. I guess there must have been chicks there too, but they are not prominently featured in my flashback. I am really devastated to read that it is discontinued.

naomi13angel's avatar

Next Paradise by Next

Just gorgeous !!! so fruity,so soft, so sweet and a great price, this frag has been so admired by my work mates they now ALL own a bottle, so I wont be unique wearing this, but it lasts and lasts !, It has a beautiful new born baby dry down too, highly recommended.

pLaTypu5's avatar

Joop! Go Electric Heat by Joop!

Electric Heat is a cheap bottle of cheap cologne.

It smells lightly of the original Go, but also lightly of green apple and slight femininity.

It has very low longevity, and is altogether just a cheap, glitzy, and ineffective version of what was a great cologne.

orest's avatar

Cardinal by Heeley

Tons of conmmentas and blah about this one, but in essence one can buy Eau the Cartier way cheaper and - surprise - after 15 minutes they smell identical,

01st May, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st May, 2009)

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

BY Man is proof positive that designers can put out top-notch fragrances. Unfortunately it's also proof positive that unless a fragrance sells well, the quality is meaningless and it will be discontinued, it's fans relegated to praying the bottle they just spend $150 on eBay isn't a fake (as many are).

BY is a combo of spicy oriental with some fougere elements as well. There's lavender in there, but it's overlaid with sandalwood and amber with a blend of spices. The drydown isn't a traditional 'leather', but rather it's very 'leathery' in its texture. Sillage and longevity are superb. Whenever I wear BY I'm struck with how out of place it is amongst designer fragrances from the same time period. It's a shame that D&G's gamble didn't pay off.

The most economical way to sample BY is to purchase a mini. If you decide to go for a bottle be careful because even reputable sellers are being sold fakes. Remember, you get what you pay for and if a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is!

Film Noir by Ava Luxe

Basically a pleasant and smooth leather after a briefly pungent opening accord that is very rubbery/fuel-like. The leather accord never reaches the depth of luxury of something like a Chanel Cuir de Russie or Knize Ten, but it's a good leather nonetheless. I'd like to try the extrait version of this - if there's more emphasis on the heart/base the leather may come out even more smoothly.

Café Noir by Ava Luxe

Being a coffee (beverage) fanatic, I enjoy sampling coffee fragrances and own a few, though I rarely find myself wearing any of them. This is the best of the many I've tried. I've only tried the extrait version, and it starts with a powerful, dark coffee note mated to warm, winteresque spices. Lavender mellows out the power of the coffee/spice accord as it dries down, but it remains on the stronger side throughout. Most coffee fragrances are creamy and gourmand... Cafe Noir has enough punch that one could say it presents coffee as a note in a non-gourmand way. If you think of it, coffee itself has a very woody aroma and this is as much a spicy/woody/lavender as it is a gourmand.

Very good and highly recommended.

Nombril Immense by Etat Libre d'Orange

I must have a different batch then some of the reviewers before me, because my Nombril Immense starts off with a pretty significant patchouli note right from the get-go. There is a mild citrus that balances the earthier aspect of patchouli which a smidge of leather (present in many ELDOs) smoothens out the fragrance as a whole. Overall N-I is fairly linear to my nose, though there are dashes of spice and incense as the fragrance fades to base. I like patchouli but find it hard to wear the super-strong patchouli fragrances. This is a nice compromise because you get a lot patchouli but without smelling like the inside of a 1970 VW Westfalia.

Afonso's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Dans la Nuit by Worth

I've found yestarday a botle of Dans la nuit. The cap have the image of stars and a moon. The tag it's not in a very good conditions but it's dans la nuit. Later I wil send a picture.

shellshell40's avatar

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Eau d'Hadrien can be worn anytime, anywhere. It is a complex, citrus fragrance and is completely delightful. I wear the EDP and it's lasting power is marvelous. I wear it to work and to occassions where I don't want to offend anyone with some of the more difficult to wear fragrances that I'm also attracted to. I also just wear it because I love it.