Fragrance Reviews from May 2009

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I don't see any of the "seaside" or "beachsand" references at all. It starts off sweetish and does become more marine and woody. Wearable, but doesn't stick around very long.

Gas for men by Gas

Chemical, like aftershave - maybe from an older generation.

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Smooth, elegant, and fresh. Flowery, maybe some heavier fragrance at the end (vanilla/tonka bean). Has staying power.

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

I stopped wearing this. Its fresh, but very simple. I smell lemon and citrus to start off with. It has hardly any staying power.

Gardénia by Chanel

I tried this once in a Sephora on Broadway in NYC, and waited 3 years to find it released only at Chanel boutiques and Bergdorf Goodman. I spent $200 on a large bottle - the only size they sold it. I LOVE the smell - perfect for the summer, not to heavy, fresh and crisp. However, it only lasts about 20 minutes. I've sprayed it at work and asked my co-workers - they coudn't smell it on me. My husband couldn't smell it on me. I wish, wish, WISH it lasted longer - because it doesn't I sadly give it a neutral. Otherwise it would be 2 enthusiastic thumbs up.

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

Another one of my "everyday" perfumes. I like the fresh floral smell. It wears nicely all day. It's one of my favorites. I "found" florals later than most, and my girlfriend asks me everytime I wear it what it is. Then she says "oh yeah, I used to wear that in college" - 14 years ago! My only complaint is that my bottle leaks. :(

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

very sweet. I was looking for Rosamur, which is no longer in production, and the sales rep suggested this. It's good, not as floral as the Rosamor, which is one of my favorites, and much sweeter smelling. I wear as an "everyday" smell. I've gotten a few compliments on it. And it comes in a solid perfume, which I like to take with me in my bag.

tearoad's avatar

Route du Thé by Barneys New York

BARNEYS ROUTE DE THE: Conceivably my signature fragrance, in that for twenty years, I have repeatedly returned to Route de The. This was the fragrance that taught me scent was non-gendered. It was early in the Eighties when Barney’s re-introduced this fragrance, and much of Manhattan got caught up in its clean, crisp smell: like spring narcissus in a rock garden after a rain, with a touch of wet macadam. I knew an interior designer who wore it—and it was an epiphany to realize that fragrance had nothing to do with being male or female—and soon thereafter, with earnings from tutoring students, I bought my first bottle of Barney’s Route de The. Years come and go, and some years, another bottle of Route de The awaits me under the Christmas tree. To wear this fragrance anew always makes me happy—and apparently many others, too, given the many compliments I receive.

07th May, 2009 (Last Edited: 09th June, 2009)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Frankincense & Myrrh by Czech & Speake

Well, I'm not sure if I should embalm or annoint someone with the myrrh but then I can't say I spot a myrrh note. Let's be honest, I wouldn't know a myrrh note if it punched me on the nose. I do recognize frankincense but I don't smell it here, except in minute quanities towards drydown. Did someone forget the gold? Never mind. C&S have come up with No.88, Cuba and Neroli; so it's forgivable if some mad scientist in tweeds working for this venerable house comes up with a weird one now and then. This one can be fun, if you're also fond of strange experiments. Not bad smelling by any means, just um . . .Anglo avante-garde? I tend to picture Bertie Wooster wearing it, despite Jeeves' misgivings.

07th May, 2009 (Last Edited: 07th March, 2011)

Grand Amour by Annick Goutal

A hyacinth soliflore, that's what it seems to me. I love the scent of hyacynths; I'm just not sure I want to smell exactly like one. Cool chemistry, neat artistry, I'm just not sure about wearing it. In fact, I haven't worn it yet, just too nervous. If tomorrow is a rainy day and I stay home to clean, I will give it a full-blown test run. Then, I'll see if my opinion has changed.

Replique by Long Lost Perfume

Wow. What a surprise. I had never heard about this frag but saw a vintage bottle, still wrapped in cellophane, online and purchased it. When it arrived, i could see that the cellophane was quite old and brown but still amazingly intact. It was exciting to think that I was the first person to open this bottle and sniff. From the look of the graphics on the box I would guess it might be from the 50's. The scent began as I expected, dated but classic, very few modern scents open with this kind of drama. It is a bit pungent, but the citrus herb mix is balanced and provocative. Edwards calls this a mossy wood, and the wood appears in the drydown but very softly, cushioned by the other ingredients. The drydown is rich but subtle and somehow powerful. A very wonderful scent from beginning to end. I might recommend this for a man or a woman. I plan on dousing myself in it this evening and just enjoying.

Calvin by Calvin Klein

This was one of only three scents I owned in 1981, and I loved it. It came in a drawstring bag, and I only took it out for special occasions. Recently, I purchased a bottle on ebay, so excited to, once again, smell that amazing scent. Alas, this was not the scent of my youth. As I read the reviews here, I realize I must have one of the reissues. How sad. The original was excellent and easily the best masculine Calvin has ever done. In fact, the only one of his I've ever been able to wear. I will keep searching for a bottle of the original juice. It's worth it.

manicboy's avatar

Rochas Man by Rochas

What coffee? What chocolate? I smell neither, but I do smell cocoa at the heart. To be honest, I detest both coffee and chocolate notes in perfumery so if they were in here, I’d run for the hills. What I do smell is a very enjoyable green and fruity opening followed by a nice cocoa accord that segues into a warm tonka base. Great longevity and sillage to boot. In a word, lovely. If you don’t like the scent, you can always give the bottle to the lady in your life and perhaps she can find a use for it;}

manicboy's avatar

Tokyo by Kenzo

My Haiku: When one Visits Tokyo, one will smell Kenzo Air.

memories's avatar

Soir de Lune by Sisley

A headache in a bottle , too many things clashing at once . As if stronger is better , not always.

memories's avatar

Eau de Sisley 1 by Sisley

Very over-priced for what is an average cologne.

odysseusm's avatar

Vetiver by Floris

Bergamot, lavender, lemon
    Cinnamon, clove, coriander, geranium, vetiver
    Amber, frankincense, patchouli, sandalwood, cedarwood, tonka bean
    This is a superb, classy scent. It is a crime that this gem is being discontinued. The opening is rich with plummy-aromatic bergamot, freshened by citrus and the merest whiff of lavender. Vetiver quickly appears, along with lovely warm spice notes. These two elements combine in a most pleasing way. The vetiver is very well done: dry, grassy-woody, typically tangy. It is not heavy and soapy as in Guerlain. Then, great wood notes appear: sandalwood and its usual friend, cedarwood. The sandalwood is very natural and enjoyable. This is a complex scent – more than simply vetiver, I’d call it a woody-spicy vetiver. It has depth and endless charms as it drys down. The vetiver and spices provide a comforting yet also invigorating tone. I like to think that the frankincense adds a subtle green note. This has my highest endorsement!

Chloé (original) by Chloé

Its a great one! Sexy and sensuous without being overbearing and desperate. Flirty top notes, feminine floral heart, and a sexy base. I hate to think that they are going to stop making it.

08th May, 2009 (Last Edited: 23rd July, 2009)

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

totally over-the-top, sultry, voluptuous, sexy, decadent -- succulant ripe fruit, full-bloom summer flowers, held together with lots of sexy, deep spicey notes. nothing old lady about it.

Knowing by Estée Lauder

sexy, sophisticated, dressy, fall to winter scent, a classic. not as over the top as Ciera, but not for kids.

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

sophisticated spring floral, elegant, ok for day or evening too. a classic

Norell by Norell

sultry foral and green notes... sophisticated, dressy, elegant. for grown up Women, Divas and babes. a classic,

Ciara by Revlon

its over-the-top sexy, winter evening in New York. New Years Eve... It's strictly for Divas who know what their doing.
    What was the companion green fragrance? Was it Charlie?

SirSlarty's avatar

Shiloh by Hors Là Monde

Woody and bittersweet. Citrusy floral in the opening. Quite a remarkable combination of accords from both Chanel no. 5 style aldehydes and classic chypre structures. The herbal textures with cedar really are pronounced on me and the airy sandalwood base is long and enduring. Part of me thinks that this is a spicier and woodier original L'Interdit. Very nice and I'd give it a thumbs up if the sandalwood wasn't do dull.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

This review is for vintage Vol de Nuit extrait. As my father always says..."time will not permit me to tell you"...just how gorgeous Vol de Nuit is. I managed to nab a bottle of this that was still sealed and with its original box. I had been researching it and looking for it for a while when one came up on Ebay. Here are some of my favorite things that have been said about it in various reviews I've read:

"...devastatingly melancholy"

"One of the most sensual Guerlains."

"The perfume of a woman who knows her own heart and mind."

"For femme fatales with brains, brass and independence."

"[it has] an enigmatic nature."

After wearing it for a few minutes I agreed that it had the same melancholy nature of Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue and Serge Lutens's Douce Amere, yet there's also a kind of warmth and gourmand-like softness/sweetness that keeps it accessible. It's the perfect balance between the intellectually seductive Nuit de Noel by Caron and the overt "come hither" seductiveness of Shalimar. I've tried the new extrait and the vintage EDT versions of Vol de Nuit and neither has the depth of the vintage parfum.

While the notes of Vol de Nuit have been listed at the top of this page, don't think for one moment that any self-respecting perfumer would list every note that went into making one of their creations. On me, I smell notes that haven't been listed in any pyramid that I've seen for Vol de Nuit. Fifteen minutes after applying it I get an animalic note that smells like civet even though it doesn't last very long. All through it I am picking up a constant vetiver note and a leathery powder. At some point in the drydown, it smells very similar to both Habanita and Nuit de Noel. In some ways Vol de Nuit is a kind of shape-shifter with many surprises. Vol de nuit makes me feel sultry even though I'm schleping around the house in a faded blue t-shirt, saggy sweatpants and worn out sockslippers.

I'm surprised that this is not more popular. But then again, it's a perfume like this that separates the girls from the women.

Definitely unisex and worth a try if you can find it.

6opar's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

In Leather Man by Etienne Aigner

I don't like the initial impression of this cologne. Fruity mess that smells of rotten apples. Good thing is that in a few seconds it's gone. Bad thing is that it leaves a trace - not powerful but existent. Why a leathery scent should start this fruity is a question I do not have an answer to.
    Then it's going a different path - spicy but not sweet - as different to the initial burst as red is to blue.
    Finally after 15 minutes i'm getting where I thought I would be by having a leather scent. The base is wonderful - the musk is distant and very gentle while the leather carefully creeps in.
    But this is not enough - Aigner Man In Leather smells cheap and is too weak to make a difference in this big cologne world.

No. 22 by Chanel

No 22 is for you if you felt Chanel No 5 wasn't powdery or aldehydic enough.

Probably stunning on the right wearer, but on my skin, it has emphasised all the things that make me remember why I'm more of a Guerlain girl.

Un Jour Se Lève by Yves Rocher

Opens by a clean and sanitised rose-like accord , dips briefly into rose drawer liners, but redeems itself quickly by transforming into a juicy, mossy, bright floral. Smells entirely synthetic, but lovely with it. Longevity is good and the scent remains stable from about an hour onwards. It manages to stay fresh, which is a welcome surprise from this style of scent, which can often degenerate into candy floss or simple musk in the dry-down.

"A New Day Dawns" is described by Yves Rocher as a floral chypre and reminds me a little of NR For Her EDT. Where NR has missed the alarm, has messed up hair, yesterday's underwear (and a happy smile), Un Jour got up at 5 am, brushed, flossed and coiffed - and was out of the door with a fruit in hand before NR even fell out of bed.

Escale à Portofino by Christian Dior

The first impression is "good eau de cologne". There is a lovely neroli-style opening and the scent feels floral and refreshing without feeling old-fashioned or blousy. On skin, milky, musky almond tones emerge, which can feel moorish or a little sickly, depending on how you perceive them. Pick the right day and the right weather and you'll want to spray lavishly. Very nice.

Notes according to TPC: Calabrian bergamot, Italian citron, Sicilian petitgrain, bitter almond, orange blossom, juniper berry, cold spices, cypress, cedar, white musk, caraway and galbanum.

soirdelune's avatar

Miss Balmain by Pierre Balmain

This review is based on my vintage [B]Miss Balmain[/B] extrait, of which I wore a small drop today. This is a just-up-my-street kind of chypre, and so confidently and skilfully complex that it is a real joy trying to pick apart its notes. All hail the great Germaine Cellier!

Couldn't quite recall why I hardly ever wear this scent ... But then, just a half-hour later, I remembered -- IT HAD GONE! Escaped from my skin in moments like an elegant, but blase, woman, who dazzles briefly with her presence, then turns her back, leaving only a mocking, scented trace.

Such scented encounters can often be alluring, but this almost enraged me, and left me feeling slightly disdainful! Miss Balmain is all top, with a bit of middle, but has no bottom!