Fragrance Reviews from May 2009

's avatar

Eternity Summer for Men 2007 by Calvin Klein

Boring and smells cheap. Reminds me of one of my ex-girlfriends.

08 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 May, 2009)

's avatar

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

A nice subtle fragrance. Elegant and charming but not in your face. I could imagine wearing this on a warm evening near the sea. Maybe while attending a dinner party held aboard some fat cat's yacht, and being seduced by his wife.

rinosaur's avatar

Chrome by Azzaro

Many reviewers say that this is just a citrus scent. Its much more than that, its a very strange and odd scent. I'm wearing it as im writing this. It's just as the name implies: its a wierd metallic musky smell. It has some similarities with Cool Water but CW is more spicy/loud and is missing the metal. I have sprayed this multiple times from various stores and it always is the one with the least silliage out of all the frags. In light of the year 2009 and my experience with a decent amount of fragrances, I will give this a neutral, if I were in the 90s I know I'd give this a big thumbs up. Most people will see this scent as slightly different standard scent. However I know that there are people out there that this will just "click" and will fit them perfectly. Please, I'd refrain from giving this as a gift and also do not blind buy just based on the reviews, this is found in almost every single department store and is widely available for testing.

rinosaur's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

People call this metrosexual, it is. People call this unisex, I disagree - it is too spicy. As with many of these frags, I would give them a thumbs up for being a legend-in-use. But as a purely scent wise review, I feel this is just so normal of a frag. It's pretty bland and there are more interesting scents out. This was designed to be a groundbreaker, not a timeless scent, and in 2009 it just doesn't sparkle.

hollyc's avatar

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This is THE worst scent ever created. I love vetiver and would gladly chose death by drowning if it was in Montale's Red Vetyver or Vetiver des Sables, but this?!! Thank God I had some wet wipes in the car when I tried my sample fresh from the mail box. What does it smell like? Think really, really cheap chapstick (Berry) then envision the smell of straight rubbing alcohol. . . concentrated. That's it, nothing more and it doesn't change into anything better. I'm getting sick just thinking about it . . . .

hollyc's avatar

Red Vetyver by Montale

The vetiver in this is soft and citrussy vs. the vetiver in des Sables which is bitingly resinous (and lovely). This one has a beautiful mix of soft spice and is just ever so slightly soapy. The longer I have this one on, the more I am convinced that it must be added to my collection. It wears close to the body and seems to last well, going through many stages. Fantastic! Also could be worn well by either a man or a woman. Another winner from Montale!

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

A classy, discreet comfort scent of some distinction. This modern scent well deserves its popularity.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Old school. Very powdery/leathery. Definitely for older generation.

08 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 January, 2010)

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

Masculine, a bit dark, spicy. One would have expected very much. It isn't. It can be worn during a day and in the evening, it is not overbearing so it can go well in hot weather as well. CK did not completely blew it with this one, but it is not very representative scent.

08 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 January, 2010)

robbert's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

I'm loving this so much right now, I'm not quite qualified in writing this review, since I've only given it 4 wearings, but God this stuff is great!

Incredible sillage and also great longevity (easily 12-14+ on me). It's quite distinctive, so before buying definitely test it. I like the way cinnamon is mixed in to the opening of this fragrance, to me personally it doesn't feel like I'm wearing a very spicy fragrance.

Although I don't care for comments, I've already received alot (2 good and 1 so-so), so next time I wear this I'm going to go with less sprays to make it a bit more subtle.

If I had a gun to my head and was told to choose only 2 fragrances for my wardrobe it would be this and probably Dior Homme. Both of these can be used for alot of different situations.

JGbeader's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Has anyone noticed that "Alien" is very like "Louve"? I love them both for their exotic postmodern edginess. Alien came first and is much less expensive... hmmm - not a hard decision when it comes time to replace sample with bottle. They both have an icy metallic quality which lasts and which I find refreshing when I'm not in the mood for sultry flowers and spices. Alien doesn't mix well with garlic or Gucci Rush, all of which I smell of at time of writing. I must get some art deco jewellery on. Perfect.

kaylenehelen's avatar

Saks Fifth Avenue for Her by Bond No. 9

Very elegant with a bold presence. I love the gardenia note that stays fresh in a comfortable bed of vanilla. Gardenia often turns sour on me, but this stays bright and lovely, like the scent of my garden, luring me into the dusk for a glass of champagne.

jamiesjohnson's avatar

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

My mother's favorite fragrance, and she is not a perfume wearer in any sense. She first received this as a gift from my father's grandmother, from Germany, over 40 years ago. When she does actually wear perfume, it's the only one she wears.

I also love it. It is light and fresh, and a perfect daytime scent. I get many compliments on it, and I love the blank look I get when I tell people what it is. It's like my own little secret scent.

jamiesjohnson's avatar

Rosamor by Oscar de la Renta

I'm so saddened to see the poor reviews for this perfume - it's my favorite! It smells flowery and is perfect for a bright, shiney day. The drydown is musky, but not overly so, which is good for me as I absolutely cannot stand that dirty-hippie patchouli/incense smell. I was saddened to learn that it was not being made, at least that's what the girl at Macy's told me 2 years ago - yet here it says it's in production. I love it.

jjamieson's avatar

Miranda by Fragonard

This is actually amazing. I bought it on a tour through fragonard in Grasse last spring. I had a horrible cold and could not smell anything! my friends decided what one I should purchase. It happened to be the one that the tourguide described as their "sexy perfume." I could not be more pleased with their decision. Throughout my insane trip ( I was without luggage for 6 days and trapped in heathrow twice) I was told how good I smelled! When I came back to a guy I had been seeing for only a couple weeks before I left, it was like he wanted to jump my bones! I love the smell, it is sweet but it has hints of spice kind of like the pie everyone is talking about but better! I think it is the amber with the vanilla that gives this perfume its sweet and sexy smell.

pojoo2004's avatar

Ocean by Jalaine

I absolutely love this scent. It is fresh, distinct and sexy. I get tons of compliments when I wear this, even from strangers. I am very particular about fragrance and hate strong, overpowering scents. I find that Ocean blends in perfectly with my body chemistry. I can't do without it!

Antaeus by Chanel

Very masculine fragrance.......I get mostly sandalwood. Long lasting.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

A classic cologne with lemony top notes drying down to musky vetiver. Wears close to the skin and not long lasting. Herbal tones mixed in with the lemony citrus as well. Like the smell of citrus but not sure if Eau Sauvage is really me.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

Musky cologne with fresh, acquatic notes overtop. I purchased this a few years ago and this is the only cologne that I own. Currently in the midst of testing other colognes in the hope of finding something more distinctive.

horacio's avatar

Malibu by Playboy

nice,interesting frag, may carry on the feeling of being on a beach, but just a cool night
    horacio

JaimeB's avatar

Lotus Bleu by Roger & Gallet

A good, summery scent with bright, crisp citrus in the top, pretty florals in the middle (including the unusual blue lotus note), and a smooth, oriental base. This is a good fresh scent that is acceptably circumspect for a man to wear discreetly. It's well and truly uplifting and energizing, redolent of sunshine and gardens and pleasant company in a relaxed and warm setting. Sweet without being cloying, it soothes and calms and sets the heart at ease.

lelando's avatar

1920 Extreme by Bois 1920

I have a funny story about this one. I actually bought this a couple of months ago. I loved the smell of it out of the bottle. Then I sprayed it on a card when I got home and it totally scared me off. I thought it was a stronger version of Davidoff's Zino.

Zino has, quite possibly one of the most masculine and perfect opening bursts of all, but he dry down is decidedly synthetic. On the card, I thought I had just a stronger version of the same and that my hopes the perfect masculine scent were dashed. I took it back for a refund.

On a whim a couple of weeks ago, I was strolling around the fragrance counter and started talking to the girl at the counter. She told me that the entire Bois 1920 line was designed to be mixed. She showed me 1920 Extreme and 1920 Classic mixed together. I was so taken that I bought them both.

I love the two mixed. But later, I decided to jump in and go for it and just wear Extreme all by itself. WOW!

It turns out that its the perfection of Zino that I was looking for afterall. The fern opening is so spectacular and decidedly masculine, it simply leaves not doubt. But its soft and at no time is it overly sweet. In the middle it stays slightly spice. Sometimes I get tobacco and pepper/pine/fern, other tims I get something just slightly powdery and animalic at the same time..almost acidic or alcoholic, but with something like fine ambergris floating in the background.

The dry down continues to amaze. Don't let the Bourban Vanilla finish scare you off. It never goes to "baby powder". It does dry slightly sweet - but the bourbon is more present than the vanilla so that the strength and character of this wonderful scent is never deminished.

Perhaps the best part of this is that it lasts all day - but it never strays too far. It doesn't knock people over, they just seem to know you are there.

My wife doesn't normally like the kind of scents I favor. But this one, while being overtly masculine, has the gentle touch of the refined gentleman. It never gets pungeant or overly musky. My wife loves this on me and I love it as well.

I look forward to experimenting with the entire Bois 1920 line - this is will be a fun experiment in quality and luxury!

renperd's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

Pinkmimosa hit the nail on the head with calling this 'pure tea party'. This is what I thought entering a colleague's office after he had let loose spraying Au Thé Rouge. It was as if there were a huge pot of rooibos simmering on a burner. Very homely, comforting and unique. I do get some fig and other sweet fruit wearing it, but on others that teapot smell really makes an impression. Clearly not everybody's cuppa as the plummeting price on eBay may indicate, but for me thumbs way up.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Frangipani Absolute by Ormonde Jayne

Purplebird7 says it perfectly ~ "Riot of sweetflowers..." so true! Frangipani Absolute is an intricate blend that comes off with a soapy freshness, reminiscent of Antonia's Flowers namesake fragrance. Antonia's Flowers is tauted as a "living freesia" scent, but I think it possesses the same character as this Ormonde Jayne Frangipani rendition! Floral lovers NEED to sample this gorgeous bouquet ~ it is a riot of sweetflowers, and I love it!

ubuandibeme's avatar

Armani Privé Eau de Jade by Giorgio Armani

Jade is a sparkling scent that reminds me of Bulgari's Blv Notte Pour Homme & somewhat of Azzaro's Chrome. I get a slightly metallic feel - which is not off-putting in the least - it keeps this composition bright and edgy! Because of the two previously mentioned associations, for my taste I'd say it leans toward the masculine...but in truth it is completely unisex. On a woman, it seems more 'fresh' than metallic. Not florally or aldehydic. Interesting. I'm enjoying the bergamot/neroli blend, sort of compelling - thumbs up!

lespritz's avatar

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

I smell Burberry London faintly, but due to the coffee and patchouli notes, I find this smells like a milder Angel A*Men, which is okay, because I like that as well. However, the opening is only like Angel, and then it quickly fades out to nothing! Would be fine if you found it for a cheap price!

scentsitivity's avatar

Bahiana by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This is a wonderful tropical citrus scent that feels both refreshing and natural. Regrettably after a few minutes I can only detect it with my nose planted on my wrist (that doesn't happen too often to me), and for this I give Bahiana a neutral rating.

sometimes's avatar

Germany Germany

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

This is for a long time my favorite fragrance in my small collection.
    I own both the EDT (already second bottle) and the EDP.
    To me, it is ultra wearable. I just feel good, when wearing it.
    The EDP has the nicest smell of chocolate you can imagine.
    Both versions last all the day. Sillage is appropriate, but much weaker than for example Allure PH (using the paper test).

Sugandaraja's avatar

Indigo by Ayala Moriel

Soft, delicately herbal and powdery in a cool, reserved way. The only note I can consciously pick out is anise, but it in no way dominates the blend.

The sillage is quiet and the longevity is medium. This is a rather shy fragrance, but charming and unique all the same.

Somerville Metro Man's avatar

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

Chanel Cuir de Russie

Chanel has all of the history that Guerlain does as a House and it also had its early 20th-century genius of scent in Ernest Beaux. In 1924 he created Cuir de Russie, what was daring about this was he chose to use leather as the center of a women's scent for the first time and created a classic. Flash forward to 1983 and Jacques Polge takes over at Chanel and looks to revive this Ernest Beaux classic as one of "Les Exclusifs". Cuir de Russie had to be reformulated because the birch tar that Beaux used in the original was no longer allowed as an ingredient. The beauty here is Polge shows he is up to the task of restoring a masterpiece to life by understanding how to hold the previous structure. At the top there is a burst of aldehydes and jasmine that tickle the nose. They are like an amuse bouche for the nose as the animalic business of Cuir de Russie comes in straightaway as the leather comes in and stays at first underneath the jasmine and then in combination. There is a moment of pure olfactory bliss as the sweet jasmine and the sweet animalic leather reach a balance that is just magic to my nose. It is a fleeting moment as the leather takes over the heart of this, rich and supple. As this develops further into the base I get a little of the clean lines of cedar, some warm amber and a hint of vanilla but mostly it stays leathery and gorgeous. I've had the opportunity to compare the original Beaux composition with Polge's and outside of what seems to be a slightly more intense leather phase in the heart Polge's reformulation is a smashing success at recreating a masterpiece of perfumery. One could only wish some of the other Houses would treat their classics with such respect.