Fragrance Reviews from May 2009

Aramis by Aramis

This still smells just as good as it ever did. Aramis is one of the finest leather chypres around and is shockingly inexpensive. It is bold and lush without the almost borderline vulgarity of Azzaro PH. Delicious.

Eau du Coq by Guerlain

True to its name and one of the best genuine colognes that money can but. Orange blossom, bergamot and petitgrain. Elegant and uncomplicated, simplicity at its best.

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

An uninteresting and somewhat cheap smelling composition which does little to hold my attention.

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Domenico Caraceni 1913 by Domenico Caraceni

The Baron de Charlus once told me: "According to the estimable Mario Justiniani, I should love this scent. Sadly, no. Certainly, this is a decadent, hothouse, highly androgynous fragrance, but not in any intriguing way, or so my nose and imagination inform me. Instead, we are treated to a fairly relentless assault of sickly, sweet roses with a definitively cloying and synthetic feel to them. It put me in mind of certain of the scents of Frederic Malle (not many of which I admire).
    The association with vampires, mentioned by one reviewer, was unfortunately lost on me. Indeed, I am positive that not one of the vampires of my acquaintance would be seen dead or undead in this fragrance. On the other hand, it did put me in mind of certain overheated salons which my position in society obliges me to endure -- invariably filled with pampered, elderly ladies whose conversation is as suffocating and tedious as their fragrance.
    In the domain of decadent dandy's scents, there are far more interesting choices: Anucci Man, Sybaris by Puig, possibly even Frederic Malle's own Musc Ravageur. In the realm of roses, there are also far more intriguing creations: for instance, Alain Delon's Iquitos or, even better, Parfums de Rosine's Rose d'Homme.
    Much as I admire certain reviews of the admirable Mario, I am afraid I have nothing good to say of Domenico."

ubuandibeme's avatar

Parfum d'Hermès by Hermès

Classic perfumery in a bottle, it is as kasae says: "warm, powdery, gently aldehydic". If not for the rose becoming cloying on me I'd snap up a full bottle immediately, Parfum d'Hermes is exquisitely rich. The spices are mouthwatering. It's even got that milky lactonic drydown that I love! I'm giving this one a thumbs up, although I won't be wearing it due to that rose.

wendalas's avatar

Plumeria by TerraNova

This is the only plumeria scent I have found which retains the lemony note of real plumeria. This prevents it from being cloying as many other tropical floral scents are.

Kevin Guyer's avatar

Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès

I poured an entire sample on my arms and the smell of virtual, fresh grapefruit was uncanny. 35 seconds later, not a trace was left. Who stole my grapefruit? The follow-up turns out to be a nice, sheer vetiver citrus that last a couple of hours. Not bad, but a high price to pay for such mannered joy.

odysseusm's avatar

Elite by Floris

I'll respectfully disagree with the negative and neutral comments, for me this is a terrific scent.

Bergamot, cedar leaf, grapefruit, juniper berry, petitgrain
    Bay, fir balsam, lavender
    Amber, cedarwood, moss, musk, patchouli, vetiver

This has a lovely green, bergamot-rich opening. The juniper and leafy cedar add fresh notes. Bay (laurel) adds to a terrific aromatic green-herbal theme. The laurel is outstanding here, being reserved yet uplifting (as befits its ancient Greek usage in victory crowns). This is a dry, well-blended scent. There are good coniferous elements lurking in the background. The drydown continues the green theme, with mossy and light musk notes. The drydown gets cool: the moss-musk-vetiver/grass produces a classy, somewhat austere British sort of mood (which I love). I think this is a great green scent: it is aromatic, not sweet, lively and yet formal. At times it reminds me of Truefitt & Hills Grafton. Big endorsement.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

212 Men On Ice (2009) by Carolina Herrera

So I was at the mall and had to try something on before I left, and this is the one I picked. I never sample more than one at a time, so I gave myself a good spraying and went about my day.

It's got a clearly defined citrusy top, which almost made me chalk it up to being just another citrus. However, I was stuck with it, and 212 Men on Ice revealed itself after a short while. On the ride home I noticed a wonderful smell that so perfectly complimented the warm spring drive through the forrest.

This has the woodsy, grassy base of 212 Men, and none of the floral top. It's a perfect non-tropical summer scent.

HDS1963's avatar

DKNY Delicious Night by Donna Karan

I really love this. It's a heady oriental with a really seductive drydown. Everytime my girlfriend wears this I always comment on how nice she smells. It has good sillage and manages to be very sexy as well as being spicy and head-turning.

I would very much recommend it as a present to any woman who likes orientals. It's surprisingly good in my opinion.

Full Speed by Avon

Fresh and woody with a bit of an orange to it however it goes "full speed" into noting quickly. Avon is hit or miss. This is a miss.

7:15 am in Bali by Kenzo

Very interesting light scent. I think this was made for travelers and it's very, very apt for its intended use. Sweet and fruity on top and it dries down into a light and pleasantly light woody vanilla. Its lightness is to be expected from Japanese based house Kenzo. I really like it but I have Del Mar and its flankers to do the same job for me. Thumbs up nonetheless!

Chocolate Greedy by Montale

Chocolate powder mix! Like Hershey's or Ovaltine or soemthing that you put in milk to get chocolate milk. Smells like the powder. This stuff is teneacious and there are times that it seems like it wants to go elsewhere like into a dark floral territory or to a fruity woods but simply remains a chocolated vanilla bar. If it were richer and creamier I would find this delicious but wearing your dessert I'd go for something lighter liek Rochas Man, A*Men or Third Man.

Asha's avatar

J'Adore by Christian Dior

Dior J'Adore

Notes: mandarin, champaca flowers, ivy, african orchid, rose, violet, damascus plum, amaranth wood, blackberry musk (from Sephora)

I never smelled J'Adore before, and had always read it is a peachy floral. I can't say I am disappointed--there is indeed some very juicy peach and a soft, powdery rose which turns bitter and "perfumy" later in the development. The fragrance is quite pleasant, although the rose presentation reminds me of an old-fashioned rose fragrance. If it weren't for the peach note, the rose would deteriorate into a sickly rose soliflore, the kind that gives rose a bad name in perfumery. Yet, there is a familiar comfort to this fragrance--the fruit and floral are not candy-like, and the powder is not sweet. J'Adore is sophisticated and evokes a confident maturity. The peach and rose die down into the middle portion of the fragrance, letting the other mixed florals come forth. But, the peach never really stops--it stays in the background to give a cushioned framework for the florals to settle. This is well and truly a feminine composition. I am not bowled over by it, but I do marvel at the composure this fragrance has, and how it has a calming effect on my mood.

Dior J'Adore L'Eau Cologne Florale (2009 release)

Notes: bergamot, magnolia, neroli (from NowSmellThis)

Who put Miss Dior Cherie into my J'Adore? At first spray, I smelled soft and light notes of watery peach and grapefruit in a cloud of soft florals. It smells GREAT on paper. On my skin, the fresh and slightly biting grapefruit note turn bitter in the same way that Miss Dior Cherie has a bitter, medicinal edge. It is as if I failed to correctly swallow an aspirin, was left with a terrible taste in my mouth, and attempts to wash it down with fruit punch did not work. Thankfully, later in the development, the fragrance tempers a bit. The peach and floral notes stay prominent well into the drydown, reminding me that this is indeed J'Adore and not necessarily a hollow version of itself. I wonder though--who is it that thinks if you add a dose of acidic or sour smelling notes, that a fragrance suddenly becomes "light and fresh"? I must admit, J'Adore L'Eau is not really unpleasant in any way. However, I am having a hard time accepting that the original, composed and calm J'Adore can be easily converted into a fresher version by adding the olfactory equivalent of Vitamin C. Was the original not fresh enough? Alas, I am sucked in by the modern, sparkly quality J'Adore L'Eau has. It fits my idea of a clean, fruity, floral and slightly soapy fragrance done in the contemporary style.

Love in Black by Creed

Yeah, ok this is unisex -- er that's about it really. Couldn't get by the godawful skanky top notes of parma violets (I hated those little sweets when I was young) -- but wait, the violets are joined by an equally repellant powdery iris note -- oh I'm now in smell heaven. To be fair, this is a knee-jerk reaction to two notes I don't get on with and should have given it more time, but you know -- I have to like it all.

Eau de Sisley 1 by Sisley

A summery floral with a citrusy opening followed by a spicy middle together with juniper berries ending in a chypre base. Quite nice if a touch ethereal but leaning heavily towards the feminine in my opinion.

Eau de Sisley 2 by Sisley

A spicy note opening followed by some herbs (the blurb on the Sisley website describes the basil as 'impertinent' ---hilarious). There then follows some rather weak jasmine and rose notes and ends up with a woody base. Even with the notes listed the whole fragrance has a sort of airy and insubstantial feel and once again veers to the feminine side.

Eau de Sisley 3 by Sisley

Of the three in the range, this is the jewel in the crown. Citrusy top notes soon dive into a really spectacular ginger and osmanthus mix, the like of which I have never smelt before. I can't detect all the fruit that is listed (maybe a touch of sweet peach), but the drydown is lovely, still containing the ginger, but joined now by a, not overpowering vanilla and a lovely musk note. This is definitely unisex unlike the other two offerings in the range. I had to spray quite liberally to get the full effect ,sillage and longevity I like for all day wear though. I really love this.

DutchSmell's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Joop! Thrill Men by Joop!

This scent is absolutely goursious! It may be for anyone below 30, but besides that you can wear this at any occation! Thumbs up! :D

surreality's avatar

Passion Boisée by Frapin

This was love at first smell. There is a noticable burst of fresh citrus backed with spices and patchouli that when combined take on a tobacco-ish flavor. The citrus slowly fades out and allows a boozy note to come through. Even though there is a booziness to this it remains fresh smelling. Leather then makes an appearance, not a harsh leather but a very refined soft leather. This scent is pure class. It has decent longevity and has a noticable sillage that whispers rather than shouts.

Nukapai's avatar

Spring Flower by Creed

Spring Flower by Creed = £173. The Impulse Body spray it smells of = £1.89.

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

i find it somehow similar to 1 million !!!!! i dont like 1 million but i dont hate this one ..... wont buy it any way .....

Buddy97's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Quorum by Antonio Puig

Quorum, a blast from the past, when all things seemed simpler. My memories are of a wild, untamed but nonetheless respected powerhouse fragrance which I wore on occasion, but respected more than wore.

Fast forward 20 odd years and my (hopefully more educated) nose finds it somehwat different to my memories - strong, yes; powerful, yes; respect, I'm no longer sure. It smells now somewaht confuse - a myriad of different notes competing to come to the fore, none winning, none losing.

At times I get great wafts of fresh pine and green herbs and spices, at other stages it seems like a ridiculously musty, stale, even dead forest, where no wind has blown for quite some time. It is not as I recall it having been in the eighties, I'm not sure if it has been reformulated or my own taste has changed. Either way, its name and curious bottle will always elicit positive memories if not always smells.

Alexandro's avatar

Romania Romania

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

As i am an owner of this frag, i think it's time to comment it.As it's name says "Angel"... You must understand the purpose of this cologne and what it's designed for.Some people says they like it simply fresh and how it smells on their skin after a bath or some sort of things like that...i think it's not a skin frag. , and it's more perhaps a leather/suit oil frag. Imagine yourself dressed in a white suit out to a private party , lighting your cigarette and then here it comes...Angel + smoke is like a chocolate cigar with so much character and style, it's true that the smell is edible, but in the same time it stays high class edible thing. I say....this perfume is for smokers, definitely for smokers.At least that's my opinion. So, anyone who comments about this cologne, without knowing what this is meant for,should better not to do it.I'm using this perfume for 3 years and never disappointed me. Definitely an occasionally cologne, not casual ! B*Men & Ice*Men are casual, i'm using them as casual colognes. I hear it was launched A*Men Pure Malt...please, if anyone has smell it and got a sample to describe this new entry on Basenotes.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

The Dreamer by Versace

A darkhorse. But one that I love very much. The gin & tonic notes are just so unusual. A Versace scent of great interest.

Corrado Finardi's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Don't care about the blame poured by those referring to Davidoff Cool Water: IGT is a previous fragrance (1985 vs 1988), and merit of Creed is of anticipating the times that will come...Personally it is not my favourite fragrance of Creed, probalby because of the large use of this smell actually by people at large, and making it sometime too much pop (there are in fact fantastic spmkt versions smelling like that..., for few euros). But I think that anyway this is the destiny of very good perfumes.. think about fabergè brut, at the beginning a luxury cologne; and others follow.
    I don' like the longevity (from a Creed Millesime I'd expect more than 3-4 hours of good air- release).

Corrado Finardi's avatar

Vetyver by L'Occitane

Very good vetyver. Consider furthermore L'occitaine does not uses any phtalates or synthetic musk, and is more healthy than other products.
    My personal top 10 vetiver is
    9. Vetiver e Rum Helan
    10. Malizia Vetiver

stevo30's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

This is my first venture into Chanel frags, and I dont think it will be the last. PE is the scent in my wardrobe that I reach for when I want to smell like confidence. The comments about smelling like power and money are spot on IMO. I get a sweet fresh opening that fades into a sexy blend of dry woods, while still retaining that fresh quality. Women love it, as well.

michau's avatar

Poland Poland

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I'm still hesitating if I like it or hate it. The lemon opening is for me astrigent. I agree with Scentaddiction, jasmin middle of this scent, reminds a toddler turd. BUT. Powdery iris notes in the heart are so... Intoxicating. Sublime. Feminine and manly sexy subsequently.
    Can't wait to try Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir version!

michau's avatar

Poland Poland

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Coniferous heavyweight, but still green and crisp, sheer masculinity!