Fragrance Reviews from May 2009

ubuandibeme's avatar

Yuzu Rouge by 06130 Zéro Six Cent-Trente

The yuzu fruit is an Asian citrus fruit resembling a small orange. It's smell is uplifting and comes to the nose in a similar manner as bergamot. It is widely used in body treatments and baths.

Upon first sniff of this refreshing elixir, it gives an overall impression of a well blended citrus tea...reminding me of Bulgari's Au the Rouge and a bit of Au the Vert. Yuzu Rouge possesses a slightly effervescent quality, but doesn't get powdery or cloying at all. Yuzu is citrusy, but not any particular citrus fruit. (for ex. it is not 'lemony' or 'grapefruity') "Gentle" would be the most appropriate adjective to describe the smell. Yuzu Rouge also remains completely linear from the initial application throughout the entire wearing. It's kind of pricey, from memory I believe it was over $100.00. - and THAT was for the edt.! As a side note, when searching on the computer, I found the edp., and the bottle is EXACTLY the same as the new Keiko Mecheri's Not exactly sure what that means....but it feels as though I've stumbled upon some sort of perfume discovery!

I'd definitely suggest sampling this fine fragrance, and would personally like to try the edp. version. Yuzu Rouge is easy to wear, very enjoyable, could make a perfect 'go to' scent for the hot & humid Midwestern summer days!

Asha's avatar

Zen (new) by Shiseido

Shiseido Zen (amber cube-shaped bottle):

Top notes are grapefruit, bergamot, peach, pineapple and blue rose; mid notes include freesia, gardenia, red apple, violet, lily of the valley, hyacinth, rose from China and lotus flower; base notes include patchouli, cedar, musk, white musk, amber, incense and marine plant. The "blue rose" note is an imaginary abstract note based on rose and violet and freshened by a lemony note, as perfumer Michel Almairac explained for the original Zen. (from Scented Salamander)

The grapefruit is most prominent in the top notes--a clean, non-sulfuric citrus scent combined with a note that smells sort of like watermelon. I suppose the listed notes of peach and pineapple can evoke a watery, generic fruit note, but to me it still smells like watermelon! There is an ingredient in this fragrance which hints at woody herbs--in fact, it has a vague ammonia note, the one I often smell in fougeres. It is subtle here, thank goodness. The herbal note gives the fragrance a bit of a green, scrubby edge, but it is definitely not bordering on masculine by any means. As the mid notes develop, I also smell something slightly ozonic, and to my surprise, it is completely at home here, not off-putting in any way. What a difference it makes to have a note coming out right on cue and in a context that allows the note to actually WORK. For some reason, the sour, wet fruit notes combined with woody herbs and ozone reminds me of Chanel Allure Sensuelle, except that in the latter case, I feel almost as if the top notes were tacked onto a base that was developed for a completely separate fragrance. Not so with Zen, although I can't say that Zen's base is particularly special, either. Perhaps a comparison to Chanel Coco Mademoiselle might be a bit more apt, although I find that Zen is such a simplistic thing compared to Coco Mlle.

The middle development of Zen is long and linear. Most of the grapefruit is lost, but the anonymous peach keeps plucking away until the fragrance turns into a very high quality "dryer sheet" soap scent. Estee Lauder, eat your heart out--Zen is soft, pleasant, a bit boring, and it does not give me a headache like most of the EL white floral offerings do. It does strike me as strange that a fragrance containing so many floral ingredients can smell so much of soap, though. I'd say Zen is as soapy as Prada Infusion d'Iris but without the lovely refinement that I enjoy in the Prada fragrance. Longevity is surprisingly long--in a separate wearing, three sprays shared between two arms lasted all day and it was still strongly perceptible the next morning.

Shisedo Zen Summer (white cube-shaped bottle):

Top notes: lemon, cedrat, apple, grapefruit, peach, blackcurrant; heart notes: freesia, gardenia, blue rose, lily of the valley, lotus bloom; base notes: raspberry, cedar, musk, amber. The "blue rose" note is an imaginary abstract note based on rose and violet and freshened by a lemony note, as perfumer Michel Almairac explained for the original Zen. (from Scented Salamander)

The summer edition of Zen opens with a sweet fruit melange--I smell mostly peach (or nectarine) and grapefruit, with the emphasis on the peach. Because of the grapefruit, the peach does not become a sweet, fuzzy or ripe fruit, but rather smells watery, refreshing and slightly green. Compared to Zen, which puts less emphasis on the fruit and more emphasis on the woods and soapy florals, Zen Summer's peach fruit stays present through most of the development, even into the soft, soapy drydown. I was surprised that this fragrance actually reminds me of Shiseido's Energizing Fragrance which does not list any fruit notes (that I could find). However, Zen Summer is not as uplifting nor as complex as EF. This is not to say EF is terribly complex, but it is a bit scary that a fragrance I originally though of as straight-forward seems more interesting than this newer composition. Perhaps Zen as a concept is supposed to be minimal, but I hardly think that means the fragrance must be insipid. At any rate, it is enjoyable enough. I thought I would like it better than Zen (in the amber cube-shaped bottle), but it did not turn out that way. Regardless, Zen Summer is very fresh, light, makes very little statement, and lacks any semblance of personality. Longevity is excellent--two sprays lasted all day in a previous wearing.

Acqua di Parma Lavanda Tonica by Acqua di Parma

Acqua di Parma Lavanda Tonica

I really enjoy lavender but it can be a tricky note to pull off as it can be too astringent and come off harsh or too powdery and come off too light. In this 1999 release from Acqua di Parma the balance is just right. In truth I want a lavender scent that is going to ring my chimes to sort of hit the middle ground between the two extremes I described above, Lavanda Tonica achieves that. The top is a concentrated blast of lavender it comes acroos as intense but not harsh. It also sems more rounded than lavender is in other scents where it is the central note. The intensity of the lavender is all I get for a good while but eventually the other notes begin to stick their heads up. First I get a nice citric shot of lemon this is followed by an herbal air of rosemary and then a floral accord that seems more rose than anything else. As this finally comes to rest there is a nice sheer amber in the base which gives a nice soft landing. Lavanda Tonica is a strong lavender scent for those who want their lavender straight with no chaser.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Christian Dior Eau Sauvage

One of the great joys of wearing perfume is that I get a chance to personally experience the history for myself. It is why every time I wear an acclaimed classic like Edmond Roudnitska's 1966 creation for Christian Dior, Eau Sauvage, I am reminded how great artists transcend what is going on around them and lift their art to a new level. Eau Sauvage is one of those scents that does this. From the top the lemon and petitgrain beginning make for a light, crisp beginning. It is as the rosemary and basil mix with jasmine in the heart of Eau Sauvage that this attains the heights of classic. The green, herbal character of rosemary and basil in conjunction with the very light jasmine is the signature stage of Eau Sauvage and the place where Roudnitska shows off his artistry. This leads to a classic chypre ending of oak moss and vetiver. One thing to mention about Eau Sauvage is that as a creation of the 60's this is a scent that doesn't feel the need to raise its voice. It is a light close wearing scent that you can fool yourself into thinking its gone after an hour but you'll keep wondering why you're smelling a hint of it 12 hours later. That hint of genius has lasted for over 40 years, now. Not bad.

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur

I love weaing the old classic Guerlains and while I feel they are timeless I also feel they hearken back to a slightly different era, too. I've also heard that this 1904 creation of Jacques Guerlain is supposed to be the EdT version of Jicky. I don't think I'm ready to go that far as I think the similarities have more to do with being Guerlain than trying to be a different version of an earlier creation. From the top it is lemon and lavender with a little bergamot and this is one of the deepest lavenders I've come to wear. I certainly find it deeper than Jicky's start on me. The floral heart of this is gorgeous as a light rose replaces the lavender and this is done in stages and when the lavender and rose are in balance at the interface of the top and heart, my heart like the Grinch's grows two sizes. The base is where the civet note which I think is what everyone seizes on to make the comaprison to Jicky appears. Here I find the civet to be more prominent, than in Jicky, and in perfect balance with the classic Guerlinade finish. Mouchoir de Monsieur translates to "gentleman's handkerchief" and it does remind you of a time and place where gentlemen carried and wore a handkerchief. What I find so amazing is it still feels relevant over a 100 years after its creation.

Cyprès-Musc by Creed

Creed Cypres-Musc

I've complained often about how some names of perfumes have nothing to do with what is inside the flacon. With this 1948 creation from the House of Creed I needn't have worried this perfume is all about cypress and musk, delightfully so. Right from the top the cypress is present and it is a beautiful astringent wood that has a beautiful aromatic scent to it. As the woodiness mellows I pick up the greenness that galbanum imparts as it adds a sense of life to the cypress. I have heard mint mentioned as a note many have expereienced with Cypres-Musc but I never seem to pick it up. The top and heart of this is all green and woody to me. The base is the advertised musk and it seems to balance the green beginning with something animalic and different. It could be a jarring shift in tone but the musk comes in slowly until after a few hours it has taken over and I hardly remember the shift happening. Cypres-Musc is very probably my favorite Creed that I've tried to date.

Black Vetyver Café by Jo Malone

Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe

Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe is my favorite coffee scent out there. Usually when one mentions coffee you think that indicates the scent should be a full-blown gourmand. What is completely refreshing about Black Vetyver Cafe is coffee is used as an aromatic note and not as an excuse to roll out the olfactory buffet of food notes. This 2003 release by Jo Malone is a coffee centered scent that is different. From the top the coffee note calls out its presence but this is the coffee of the roasted bean prior to being ground up. I can smell the rich almost nutty quality of a whole coffee bean and it is beautiful. Where another scent would start piling on with chocolate and vanilla this one takes a different road and instead turns towards the woods . The heart of this contains a woody note which comes out in stages and acts as a bridge to the vetiver in the base. The herbal, green character that the vetiver imparts really compliments all that has come before and finishes things quite nicely. This is a beautifully composed scent which shows that coffee is a note which can stand all on its own without needing something else to go with it.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil

I make no secret of my affection for Jean-Claude Ellena and find him to be one of the most consistent perfumers out there, for me. The scent that sealed the deal on him to my nose is 2005's Un Jardin Sur Le Nil. It was here where I learned what a designer could do with just a few notes artfully chosen and expertly woven together. The beginning of Un Jardin Sur Le Nil starts with a sheer run of citrus which pulls back to reveal a lush fruity note intertwined with the watery feel of lotus. The lotus has an aquatic feel to it that reminds me of the accord I get when standing next to a river. I then get a light woody note which wafts in with a sheer incense. The wood becomes stronger and more pronounced as the incense stays with it but recedes a bit. Un Jardin Sur Le Nil is one of M. Ellena's most assured compositions and I believe one of his best.

Private Collection - Cuir d'Iris by Parfumerie Generale

Parfumerie Generale Cuir D'Iris

Pierre Guillaume has really done an incredible job of creating a number of different scents in his Parfumerie Generale line. Over the course of these creations it is clear that he has a particularly deft hand with gourmand notes and with leather. In the 2008 release Cuir D'Iris, part of the Private Collection, he perhaps creates his most intense leather to date. Right from the top you get leather and it is the leather of a fine leather arm chair. At first that seems to be all that is there but then ever so subtly you smell the vase holding the bouquet of irises that is next to this armchair. This is a powdery iris which is delicateley added around the edges of the leather. I'm not sure I would've placed iris in the name of this scent for all of the heft it brings and the length of its stay. The heart of this mixes a little chocolate in with the leather this is the cocoa powder version of chocolate which comes across less rich and compliments the leather center. The base is all amber and leather and this is exquisite in its depth as the rawer edges of amber rough up the leather and make for an excellent ending to this scent. If you're an iris lover and not a leather lover I wouldn't bother with this one because the iris is really only there for a short time. If you are a leather lover this is a must try because it is one of the finest pure leathers out there, to me.

memechose's avatar

Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

One of the top 20 feminines of all times. If you knew me, then you would know how serious i am about this statement. An olfactive work by a genius in the later days of his career , when his creaticity became at its most empure (sorry no accent graves on this computer). I understand now Mr. Ellena, the prodigy learned his lessons from THE maestro...

British Sterling by Dana

Sweet, green, spicy and aggressive, this has a lot of the old clean-cut professional-smelling aftershave air about it, which appealed to me for a while. I guess this is how straight-shooting businessmen were meant to smell around the office in simpler days gone by, and I'm sure many actually did. I could live without the anisy note in this stuff, as well as whatever is pepperminty; these together stopped me from fully liking BS in the end. The main caveat with this one is that it has a tiny nagging sour note that occasionally pokes its head out. I had a plastic bottle of BS once, and it got very sour over time from this, which probably wouldn't have happened with the 2nd (glass) bottle, but I always felt like it was on the verge of starting up again. It really doesn't need to be so darkly colored either, but at least it doesn't stain like Old Spice.

Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

God what a silly name. It's a cheap, somewhat citrusy laundry-aquatic and at least to me bears no resemblance to Grey Flannel. The top smells kind of like a bottle of grapefruity Suave body wash that I liked and was just finishing when I bought the EdGF, so that used to hook me, but then after a few minutes it changes to something weak and drab. There's a metallic aspect to it but not as well done as in Azzaro Chrome, so it's kind of a weak Chrome knockoff. What I don't like about low-end aquatics is when they make a very artificial attempt at a leathery drydown like this one does, which I always think of as The Ass-Leather Note. If I spray double the usual I can get a residual smell to last for a few hours, but it's just a boring facsimile of soapy-shower-smell. Otherwise it's gone pretty quickly.

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I don't know about grey, but maybe dark greenish-purple. Here come some manly flowers! You walk into the enchanted forest, and a gang of gnomes beat you over the head with bunches of violets. For me the top is very strong and largely ungirly flowers, and the strength falls off sharply to a base like an idealized laundry detergent or an Irish Spring-like soap. I'm just not sure I want to smell like that.

However, I think this stuff really shines as a room spray or linen spray, smelling like hyper-clean laundry, but it requires heavier doses for this and it will completely disappear within a day or two. Fortunately it's cheap enough that using a lot isn't an issue. I like to spray some on my neck before bed to relax me as I drifted off.

02nd May, 2009 (Last Edited: 29th April, 2010)

Halston Z-14 by Halston

Some notes of this reminded me of other spicy herbal brands that I like, but I feel slightly embarrassed to smell like this in public. I get a lot of lemon in Z-14 that seems over-the-top and tacky to me, like a spray of lemon funiture polish on top of a better cologne (probably Bel Ami). The combination becomes very cola-like to me after a while, and I don't like colas, so there's an unavoidable and unpleasant food connection for me. It smells 70s-ish in a way that I don't like, and makes me feel sleazy, like a stubbly fat guy wearing gold chains and a dirty jogging suit (Carl, the middle aged guy on Aqua Teen Hunger Force!). Others (Paco Rabanne, Pierre Cardin, Grey Flannel) smell 70s-ish in a way that I can still take them seriously and like them.

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

In principle, The Spice is nice, and only slightly too sweet, but it's not right for me personally for a few reasons. I tend to spray or even splash on clothing, and this is the only cologne that I've ever had permanently stain something. I know, silly me for doing that, but seriously...only one brand out of dozens upon dozens. That distinction merits it a thumbs down from me instead of a neutral. But also I find either anise or fennel or licorice in it...I can never tell those apart but I hate them all in food. So when I put it on, I always thought, "yeah this smells OK, but it would suck if I had to eat it." I finally realized that if that's going to be the first thought it brings to my mind, then I shouldn't be using it. So it's just not worth my while to own.

djolney's avatar

Le Maroc pour Elle by Tauer

Le Maroc Pour Elle is beautiful: it is lush, soft, sophisticated, and has just a little bit of smoulder.

The soft rose and lush jasmine come across as fresh and inviting throughout the life of the fragrance (sillage is good, and longevity is very good). The florals are dewy and alive, and I never tire of smelling them.

The petitgrain and lavender give the florals an edge that stops them from falling into the too sweet category—in much the same way that the basil enhances the complexity of the florals in Boucheron EDP. I can’t smell where the petitgrain ends and the mandarin starts, and can only describe the combination as a very engaging almost bitter orange.

The woods and patchouli provide an anchor for the florals without ever overpowering them, and every now and then a slight hint of chocolate peeks out to give the woods a subtle twist. This base is simultaneously ultra feminine and substantial.

Le Maroc Pour Elle is as beautiful as Andy Tauer’s Incense Rose, and is as sublime as its stable mate is paradoxical.

02nd May, 2009 (Last Edited: 08th July, 2009)

Coeur de Fleur by Miller Harris

Like a Valentine bouquet in the shape of a heart, Coeur de Fleur offers sweets, but this is not the tooth-piercing sugar rush blasting from so many candied fragrances today. I’m more of a “floral girl” than a “fruity girl” but I appreciate the fresh, never dominating mix of peach and raspberry in CdeF.

In fact, Coeur de fleur combines the dulcet tones of four different scent families: fruit, floral, gourmand, and resin. Jasmine and sweet pea hold up to the fruit, while mimosa and iris add just a hint of earthiness. There must be only enough vanilla and amber to anchor the other sweets; neither note stands out on its own, but instead they harmonize to create a slightly peppered, cream base. As the name suggests, flowers compose the heart the blend, and I believe they give it a timeless appeal.

The dry down is what I call “clean sweet”—a category I’ve coined to describe the refreshing character of a few timeless floral scents such as the original versions of “L’Air du Temps” and “Aniaïs Anaïs,” fragrances that defied trends and typologies. While both are drier than Coeur de Fleur, I find that the three share a sort of olfactory integrity.

Coeur de Fleur pays tribute to the spectrum of sweetness available in fragrance, a variety of distinct elements too often blended elsewhere into a heavy, one-note goo. While I prefer other Miller Harris concoctions, such as the spicy, rich Fleur orientale, or the yummy, dirty l’Air de rien, I would recommend Coeur de Fleur to fruity-floral lovers. It has decent sillage--not too loud--and it lasts 3-4 hours. This chic, sophisticated interpretation of perfumery’s sweet gamut demonstrates the benefits of using restraint to achieve fragrant depth and dimension.

1000 Kisses Deep by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

I love orange notes in perfumes, but have had trouble finding one with just the right dose: most either smell like a basket of fresh oranges (very nice on the table but not on my clothes), or hide the orange behind stronger notes. Not so in 1000 Kisses Deep.

1000 Kisses Deep, Eau des merveilles, and Elixir des Merveilles share a slightly bitter but very fresh, unsweetened orange note that I find scrumptious.

In Eau des Merveilles the wood notes, especially cedar, take over on my skin. Too dry!

In Elixir des Merveilles gooey vanilla and caramel end up candying the orange. Too sticky!

In 1000 Kisses deep, labdanum, myrrh and osmanthus give the blend all the depth promised in the name: Juuuuuuuuust right!

The orange is there, from beginning to end, but the wise selection of elegant complementary notes steers it in a warm, sophisticated, grown-up direction that takes 1000 Kisses Deep from daytime to evening. Modest sillage. Lasts at least 5 hours on my skin.

The homage to a Leonard Cohen song is for me a huge plus, as are the thoughtful attention to detail in the packaging.

Since I wear many different scents, I am disappointed that so many come in only 100 ml bottles. Again, B Never too Busy to Be Beautiful is the exception. The company seems to understand the financial, aesthetic, and practical needs of its many perfumista clients. You can choose a mini body spray for under 10 pounds, small atomizer, a small bottle, a large bottle, a pomander, or even a scented fan.

I am smitten with 1000 kisses deep, and am quickly falling in love with B Never too Busy.

Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain

Nibble-me delicious benzoin creates the overall effect of a creamy, light gourmand. Too sweet and tasty to be a traditional male scent, I would call it unisex, even feminine.

I wish the vanilla note were tuned down just a notch so that the orris, pepper and incense--all present for the first few breathtaking minutes-- would last longer. But as the SA on the Champs Elysées told me: "Vanilla? But that's Guerlain!"

I usually avoid vanilla (and its friends and family), but after said SA generously perfumed my hair and clothing for a test drive, I had to go back the next day for a full bottle.

02nd May, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th July, 2009)

Miel & Citron / Honey & Lemon by L'Occitane

[Comparing the two versions of the fragrance, Miel & Citron and Miel & Citron EDT Pailletée]

If you love the original (now called "Classic") Miel & Citron, be sure to test the new Pailletee Shimmering version before buying. The original is a smooth, creamy, caramely citrus blend, sweet but not syrupy thanks to the patchouli and vanilla base.

The the new Miel et Citron Pailletee Shimmering is true to its name: I smell two primarily notes: citrus and honey. As a result, this fragrance is at once sharper and waxier than the original: kind of like lemons in a bowl next to bees' wax candles. As it dries down, I detect less citrus and more green floral, but that bees' wax candle note never goes away, and I find the fruitiness a little sour.

Be sure to shake up the bottle before spraying to get the maximum shimmer, which is quite pretty. There's not so much sparkle that you'll look like disco queen, but just enough golden star dust to twinkle in the evening light.

In my own private paradise, Occitane would add shimmer to the original and exchange the two names.

Jubilation 25 by Amouage

Jubilation opens with a fizzy, almost lightly peppered rose chord, and dries down to the smoke and shimmer of perfectly balanced flowers, incense and myrrh. The overall impression is one of sweetness: not floral sweetness, not vanillic sweetness, and not even a pinch of sugar. No, it is the sweetness of seemingly weightless resins, woods, and balsams that give Jubilation its distinctive allure. Its confident, but never pushy sillage never fails to attract compliments.

When I tried Jubilation from a carded sample, it had no staying power. However, I liked it so much that I decided to buy a small bottle. I am pleased to report that I applied it yesterday afternoon and can still smell it the next morning before my shower.

A lovely, must-try fragrance, Jubiliation sometimes serves for me as the ideal, sophisticated, light main course. On other days, it is the delicate appetizer that sends me to Tauer's less elegant but equally delicious L'air du désert marocain or Le Maroc pour elle for the main course.

Anna Sui by Anna Sui

i'm not adding anything earth shatteringly different than anyone else here that gave this a positive: a pretty whisper of a perfume of violets, rose and powder.
    very similar to agent provacteur eau emotionelle. the bottle is more beautiful than any thing else about this perfume.

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

MMMMMM!!!! burnt caramelized bourbon sugar with vanilla.....so thickly sweet and darkly sensual. sillage is incredible, staying power will last forever and a day.

Pleasures Intense by Estée Lauder

lets be clear: i despise pleasures, but this intense version is very pretty. the pink peony is dramatic and pronounced in this pink juice.
    i'm a big peony fan though. i imagine this would work great on a summer night.

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

wow....the fragrance i discovered in my teens at a trip to bloomies with a girlfriend. the anise, violet and vanilla in this are sumptuous. the juice is royal purple and the bottle is
    a sparkly lilac apple--so beautiful! lolita is so flirtatious its outrageous. this is a perfume that will--WILL--get you attention and compliments. the mens version is incredible too.
    ever eat stella d'oro anissette cookies? now its in a fragrance.

Charlie / Charlie Blue by Revlon

eeeeeew! i'm so sorry to be scathing to a drug store classic...but the top notes smelled like eau de grandma and the drydown was a wet diaper.

Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

i had a friend that loved, loved, loved this. it worked so well on her too; she smelled like a delicious ruby red grapefruit sprinkled with sugar.
    thats the only way i eat my graprefruit too.
    this is a young fragrance though--indeed my friend was 20 when she used this.
    maybe its the memory of being a young and innocent when i smelled this liquid tart candy but i can;t imagine a woman wearing this one.
    thumbs up for a sweet memory and scent

Messe de Minuit by Etro

its hard to imagine i am selling the same fragrance as the postive reviewers. i love incense! but i smell no incense in this.
    midnight mass??? please. i smell a disgusting underground subway urinal. my first SCRUBBER. never again!!

White Camilla by St John

i had such high hopes for this that i purchased blindly. what a shame! bug sprayish and unfortunately, it...lasts.

Sha by Alfred Sung

lovely but hard to find fragrance of lilac and musk. the lasting power on this is quite generous considering the price.
    very inoffensive and understated. the best and only perfume i wear from mr. sung