Fragrance Reviews from May 2009

mikey_p's avatar
    mikey_p

Guess Men (original) by Guess

The shokingly repulsive smell of hot vinyl and overheated electronics. Now, let's bottle it and sell it! Nice work!

zztopp's avatar
    zztopp

Versace pour Homme by Versace

Imagine a new modern classic which grabs hold of your senses by a sparkling bouquet of natural citrus notes, surprises you by unraveling a well blended heart of spicy woods and floral notes, and then goes for the touchdown by landing on a ravishing base of a top quality oud note with a nod to modern perfumery by implementing a 'mineral note' flanked by a rich oriental base. 'Dynamic and entrepreneurial. Truly for the man of today'.

Well keep on imagining because you ain't getting any of that in Versace Pour homme (VPH). Bursting forth with bitter citrus and a sharp neroli note (with a tinge of aquatic whirled in), the opening burst is about the only high point of this woody aromatic/oriental from Versace. The after effects of these clean citrus notes can actually be felt all the way into the drydown .. must be some high powered synthetic note operating underneath the top construction to extend them so deep into the formula. Anyways, the heart notes introduce the 'generic gang'. Like Timbaland whoring out the same tune over and over, Morillas seems to have borrowed the current accord du jour of generic woody-amber/spicy-woods with the nutty-herbal note of clary sage recalling Platinum Egoistes' far richer heart accord. VPH then fizzles out to a tinny drydown of some thing like a bitter wood note which, if it is really oud, smells like an note leftover from Montale Aoud reject. A whiff of a mildly interesting mineral note peeks out amongst a very anemic presence of 'oriental notes' like tonka, amber and white musk. It says a lot for this fragrance that even at this point the most interesting thing going on is still the sharp neroli blast from the opening whose muted presence can still be felt. The evolution of this inane generic 'masterpiece' is finally complete and I am left clamoring for Versace L'Homme..

Rating: 5.00/10

cpk's avatar
    cpk
    Greece Greece

Ambrette 9 by Le Labo

This came as a complimentary sample from Luckyscent. Maybe that's why i like it so much. I didn't have to pay for it. Yes it's close to the skin and longevity is poor but it is one of those pick-me-up scents that make you feel clean and fresh and happy, like riding on a silver cloud. It has this friuty-floral-tart vibe that is a little feminine but makes you feel cool and easy. I got that vibe from Les Nereides Fleur Poudree de Musc also. Lovely stuff.

Orient Extreme by Montale

Like others have said, this is a chypre rather than an oriental. If I were to guess at ingredients, I'd guess at loads and loads of oakmoss, but since oakmoss isn't listed among the notes I suppose it might be an illusion created by some dry, acrid, almost medicinal, resin note. I agree it smells quite "raw" and/or "unfinished" - almost like some single note oil. It also has a sharp soapiness to it I associate with chypres from, say, the 60s or 70s, rather than the real chypre classics from older eras. I'd classify it as "interesting", but not very pleasant or wearable.

Chypré Fruité by Montale

Hmm... A tart and sour, but still candylike and nondescript, fruit accord on an extremely discreet chypre base. No richness here - this is a light, even thin, scent. I'm not very impressed.

Sugandaraja's avatar
    Sugandaraja

Opôné by Diptyque

This is one of Diptyque's recently discontinued fragrances. I'm sorry to see this one go, but unlike L'Autre and L'Eau Trois, the world isn't losing something unique.

In its transparency and minimalism it's very Diptyque. I only discern three notes - saffron, rose, and light touch of patchouli in the base.The saffron dominates the top, and in the base the patchouli-rose accord brings to mind similar but more vivid fragrances, like L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses and Czech & Speake's Rose. The longevity and sillage are quite good without being obtrusive.

Simple and straight to the point, I find it very wearable, if just a touch dull. Good, but not exciting.

Asha's avatar
    Asha

Eau de Campagne by Sisley

Sisley Eau de Campagne (EDT)

Notes: top notes, bergamot, galbanum, lemon, basil; heart notes, tomato leaves, plum, jasmine, geranium, lily-of-the-valley; base notes, oak moss, patchouli, vetiver, white musk (from OsMoz)

I must start this review with a disclaimer: Eau de Campagne smells very different on my skin than it does on paper. On paper, I smell mostly what other reviewers have smelled--lush green opening of galbanum and other bitter plant stems followed by a lovely lemon-based citrus melange, cradled by a herbal accord. The effect is intoxicating, evocative of all the scents you might experience in a well-tended herb, vegetable and citrus-tree garden. Florals are listed in the notes, but scent-wise, these components collectively play a supporting role to the more prominent green and herbal notes. Later, a soft white soap note comes forth giving a very clean finish to the entire experience.

On skin--what a difference. The galbanum and other green notes begin to fade almost immediately, forcefully pushing the lemon out front. The effect is of a greenish or unripe fruit at first, due to the lingering bitter plant notes. Soon, the lemon becomes as sweet as an edible lemon candy, and is quickly joined by the white soap note. For a while, the combination of lemon and soap give the impression of fine bath or shaving products. Unfortunately, as the lemon fades into a kind of sulfuric funk that most citruses suffer from, the soapy note becomes sour and harsh. It has been quite a ride in under one hour.

markhoos's avatar
    markhoos
    Netherlands Netherlands

Rêve d'Or by Piver

First review here :) There are things that I like much better and that are much more sophisticated, but I love this stuff. I bought 4 bottles of this lotion (427 ml) from a barbershop here in Hoilland that was closing down. Reve d' Or is french, means Golden Dream. It was created 1889 as a female fragrance, but it got immensely popular in the muslim countries around the Mediterranean. I lived for some time in the Middle East, and when I first sniffed it, I was transported back to the Bazaar of Cairo. It used to be one of the standard barbershop lotions in Morocco. It is said that especially the Berber men like it. I read a blog by a Turkish man, who loves this stuff because of the happy feelings of barbershop nostalgia it provokes.

So what does it smell like? It is floral, orange blossom and rich in aldehydes. I give the description of the website of the house of L.T. Piver:

Slip away into a world of dreams with this cocktail of rare and precious essences. An invigorating, radiant and bright start to the day with notes of orange blossom, tea roses, geraniums and vetiver that gracefully gives way to the magic of the heliotrope – a sensual flower whose delicate fragrance is enhanced as the sun gains in warmth – only to form a unique and bewitching scent that lingers on hints of sandalwood into the night.

It is very cheap. I paid a reduced price for my bottles, 10 euro. But it is availble from a Dutch webshop for about 20 euro, 427 ml. So if you like barbershop nostalgia, if you like to splash every now and then - I use it as a body splash too - or if you want a comfort scent to give you golden dreams at night, try it :) There are others that I like as wel, the Eau de Cologne a la Reine des Fleurs (created 1774, very nice!) en Heliotrope. All by L.T Piver.

Myspunge's avatar
    Myspunge
    England England

Ambre Topkapi / PB by MDCI

Appealing flowers and greenery above the caramel. There’s a good pivoting in this between the syrupy and the verdant-ethereal, even if that pivot does all come out of a vat marked DIHYDROMYRCENOL. I love dihydromyrcenol and am going to form a league for its defence. Very much in the vein of Bourdon's Great Inca Priestesses, a fruitbasket carried on the head of someone drenched in fake tan, this one has a bit more spine because of the glints of ginger and spice. Grows more fey as it ages, the rascal. A masculine it is not. So ?

ausamamira's avatar
    ausamamira
    Jordan Jordan

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

im sorry but it is so close to the smell of toothpaste or something .....the smell itself is not bad but i wont think of wearing it .....

andylama's avatar
    andylama

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Basic character profile: lavender tobacco

Potency: atomic bomb (compare to Knize Ten)

Uniqueness: not quite like anything else. Weird in a good way. As reviewed earlier, the lavender never takes on a soapy or geriatric aspect.

Purchase-worthiness: if you are a collector, this is one of those 'buy, even if you don't wear' fragrances.

Personal info: I like it, I bought it...but I don't anticipate wearing it terribly often...probably because of the (nuclear) strength alone.

xmen's avatar
    xmen
    Singapore Singapore

1000 by Jean Patou

A masterpiece that thankfully does not smell dated. The edt opens up beautifully after a heavy bombardment of rather dense and aggressive top floral notes. I can smell my favorite peace note beneath the bouquet. The drydown is impeccably constructed. I'm surprised to see so few reviews for 1000.

rhodes22's avatar
    rhodes22

Tuscan Soul by Salvatore Ferragamo

Initial burst reminds me of a tuscany lemon grove . . . then the dry down begins . . . citrus floral - very nice
    Wish it lasted longer than just a few hours . . . at least on me

03 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 July, 2009)

pinkmimosa's avatar
    pinkmimosa

Innocent Secret by Thierry Mugler

A gentle, clean, unoffensive scent that smells to me like a grapefruit that someone with clean soapy hands just began punching cloves(?) through to create a pomander. You can hardly smell the cloves, if it is cloves. Let's just say, I smell some kind of spice that prevents it from being all grapefruit, plus soap or bubble bath (is it a floral note?). The only reason I bought this, by the way, is because I love Angel so much I'll try anything Thierry Mugler. This is very common and forgettable by comparison.

pinkmimosa's avatar
    pinkmimosa

Eau de Star by Thierry Mugler

This fragrance is bold, stylish, harsh, cold, and bitter, with a little bit of sweet way deep underneath. It has very rough edges, which I suppose is why it's called star, to reflect something pointy. I'm kidding, of course. It lasts a long time on me. This is basically a loud and rude version of Angel. I find aquatics repellant, and I did not recognise this as one, but didn't like it as much as my non-aqua faves. I assume that's the note that disagrees with me. I wear it a lot, anyway. I can't get it out of my head, if you know what I mean.

decillisjl's avatar
    decillisjl

Neroli by Czech & Speake

You could spray this on a lifelong bum and manage to make him/her smell clean... I'd have to say that this fragrance is a complete lesson in moderation. The neroli is a bit strong for the first few seconds but then sits down next to the rest of the class with its mouth shut but eyes open. There is definately a powdery note but it merely softens the acridity of the citrus without smothering it as so many powdery scents can. The floral note is substantial and yet subdued... the only comparison I can make is if a traffic stopping beauty barely brushed her lips against your cheek... there would be the slightest tinge of her lingering lipstick, but the memory of the moment would far surpass the tangible mark left behind. I can definately see this as unisex, but I'm unsure if I would rather smell this on my girlfriend, myself, or just a stranger passing by... A brilliant composition whereas although the notes display themselves with enormous identifiable personality, there is no ego-stroking statements by any... they simply work in unison to create a magnificent effort. A true gem.

Zowiee's avatar
    Zowiee

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Unmatched floral cologne that is almost too subtle. Great dry down from lemon to lavender and rose, with the rosemary blending beautifully. I really love both this cologne and the Intensa, and have been known to layer them both together.
    Colonia staying power is good for me, but as it is cologne strength, this may be too short for some. Spraying some on a handkerchief or on an undershirt will help with the longevity.
    This would be one of my top 10, but thankfully i don't have to choose...

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

Epicéa by Creed

I'm surprised no one has mentioned how Epicea smells identical to Agua Brava by Puig. I find Creed's history to be dubious at best, and I question the stated 1965 creation date, leading me to believe that Brava came first. And yes, I believe that Creed ripped off Agua Brava, which is a distinctively Spanish scent.

Regardless, Epicea is a delightful herbal pine scent. The pine is not astringent, as pure pine oil tends to be, but it blends beautifully with the herbal notes. It smells very natural, and luckily the pine smell does remain from opening to drydown.

The problem is that the time lapse between application and drydown is pitiful (three hours?). Epicea is one of the weakest fragrances I have ever worn. It has virtually NO SILLAGE after a half hour, which forces you to ram your nose into your hand to be able to even detect it. This can make you look very silly in public places. It is one of the most frustrating fragrances I have ever worn, and this is why I cannot give this a thumbs up rating.

Epicea's smell is fantastic, when it's there, but I'm going to stick with Agua Brava, which is much lower priced, smells just as good, and has better longevity and sillage.

03 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st April, 2010)

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Words cannot adequately describe how much I hate this fragrance. I like and wear many scents from the 80s, but this just smells horribly outdated now - like the Le Car, piano-key rep ties, and glam metal, Fahrenheit represents the '80's at its absolute worst. It is also probably the most chemical, cheap synthetic fragrance I have ever smelled, like one of those horrible cinnamon Yankee Candles dunked in a bucket of gasoline and Aqua Net hairspray, with a heavy emphasis on the hairspray. Literally. Also, its ghastly, spicy stench can be smelled for blocks. It is the pinnacle of bad taste and tackiness.

03 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 19 September, 2009)

karelin7's avatar
    karelin7

Eau de Gentiane Blanche by Hermès

Not to jump on the bandwagon by noting, like everyone else, what a minimalist Ellena has become, but this frag is chiefly interesting as another milestone in his evolution (or devolution) from the maximalist who created First. EDGB smells like one is nose-to-nose in the hothouse with a rare flower. The flower smells sweet but the sweetness is muted by a note that could be iris. Yes, there is a hint of clean musk of the fresh laundry kind, and that, to my nose, is all folks. Very much in the tradition of Un Jardin Sur Le Nil. I cannot imagine anyone finding this repulsive or utterly compelling. It's light, sweet, and pleasant. No sillage or projection. If anyone is close enough to you to smell this, things have progressed to a point where fragrance is no longer a deal maker or breaker.

shellshell40's avatar
    shellshell40

B by Boucheron

Initial burst of osmanthus and pink peppercorn is fresh and pleasant. I smell vanilla in the sandalwood dry down which comes fairly quickly. The lasting power of the fragrance is moderate. Overall this is pleasant but slightly uninspiring.

Speed00kills's avatar
    Speed00kills

Vetiver by Guerlain

decillisjl I see what you mean. I have a spray sample of this I got from the perfumedcourt and was very excited to try it because of all the wear it gets around here. When I put it on my skin it smelled like a citronella candle. I don't know I guess it's just my skin chemistry that doesn't agree with it making it rather pungent and not very pleasant. Not bad just not for me obviously.

Zowiee's avatar
    Zowiee

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

It's the fragrance that just keeps on giving! So I gave the bottle to my son after I tried to like it for months. Powerful fragrance, but some chemical smell on the dry down, I do not like...

03 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 December, 2010)

Elf's avatar
    Elf

Maderas de Oriente by Madini

This gorgeous fragrance reminds me very much of Caron's impossible to find Coup de Fouet and Poivre, though it is not at all a copy. Rich, clovey, woody bliss. I love it!

manicboy's avatar
    manicboy

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

Why New York? Anyway, 212 Men is an attractive casual fragrance that aims to please men who want something different that’s still “fresh and green” but aren’t ready for the vetiver genre quite yet. Seems to have fallen out of favor recently but…It opens with a very green note that approximates fresh cut grass, lawnmower-exhaust fumes not included, which brings to mind a great idea for a new fragrance – the gasoline fumes from Fahrenheit melded with the grass notes of 212 Men but I digress. The grass here is more sharp than mossy though. The midnotes throw you for a loop as they’re both spicy (green pepper) and floral (gardenia) but nonetheless it works well with the grass. I find that the musk dominates the basenotes (and the mid/top notes for that matter) and a slight sandalwood/incense accord pokes its head thru once in a while. Definitely, more musky than woody. So, if you like musky grass, 212 has got your number. Don’t be surprised if he comes calling.

S-ex by S-Perfume

Sex, huh? I have a hard time imagining a less sexy fragrance, though I suppose Secretions Magnifiques takes the price! S-ex starts out very faint, cool and vaguely salty/metallic/aquatic, reminding me of CdG's Synthetic series or abstract Odeurs. It gets worse after that. Much worse. Allow me to disclose the truth hidden behind the ludicruous official list of notes: dead things washed up on the shore, compost, cucumber soap and feces of fruit candy on a base of fake leather. There. Thank god it doesn't have the strength and lasting power of Secretions Magnifiques, although it has an alarming tendency to grow stronger with time!

Ta'If by Ormonde Jayne

I could have appreciated the citrusy freshness of this rose scent, but overall it's just too thin and shrill for me - a high-pitched single note, yet faint, not loud. It verges on soapy territory but I've smelt much soapier roses than this. If it had a tad more of those juicy greens I barely detect, or of the interesting salty accord - or is it rather ambrette? - I think I only percieve because someone told me it's there, I might have really liked it. It's certainly not sweet. Neither is it, too my nose, rich and spicy at all. I rather agree with those reviewers describing it as extremely faint, with poor longevity.

Chocolate Greedy by Montale

Starts out sickly-sweet and with a strong, fake-buttery accord I find disgusting. At this stage, I think of toffee rather than chocolate - toffee or caramel with added artificial butterscotch flavour. Though my girlfriend immediately recognised chocolate without knowing the name of the fragrance - but she added it wasn't very good or dark chocolate, more like chocolate cookies with cream filling. It dries down to a soft, powdery sort of nondescript gourmand, vaguely chocolatey but not like pure chocolate at all, more like chocolate cake or fudge or something. Quite warm and cosy but too sweet and boring for me. I've tried better pure chocolate fragrances from cheap perfume oil companies.

coastfansocal's avatar
    coastfansocal

Forest Rain by Kiehl's

Musk, Fresh and Masculine..

Its a combination of clean vetiver and mossy woods with the drydown of Kiehls Musk. Long lasting, much longer than the original Kiehls musk..highly recommended! good stuff!

goldiloks's avatar
    goldiloks

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I am still discovering this scent, so will write more when I've figured it out. :)
    To me, it is sweet and spicey, very comforting. Strangely Im not getting the licorice note, but instead a deep fruity powdery musk, which is gorgeous! Dry down reminds me a lot of the original Anna Sui. Powdery and purple, not sexy but something to feel deliciously comforted by. As someone said, you may want to eat your wrists, that is of course after nuzzling into them like a cat with catnip. :)

Edited to add: I love this one even more, and have figured out why. This actually makes my mouth water. I don't think any other fragrance has done that.

04 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 October, 2009)