Fragrance Reviews from May 2009

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Magot by Etro

Etro Magot

Sweet, boring floral scent...It is not pleasant to me.

sliver1's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

I wish I'd tried Thierry Mugler's range sooner. It started last Christmas with A*Men (which I love), followed by Angel which I also love. Both, however, cause plants to wilt as you pass by them. As an attention seeker I actually don't mind this at all, and as somebody who just loves perfume (on myself and others) strong or over-applied fragrances don't bother me - I have never been to stand all these unisex, 'green' dreary fragrances or anything labelled 'sport', however. Therefore I wasn't expecting much of Mugler's Cologne.
    It's gorgeous - smells like clean laundry with a 'surprising' undertone. (I CAN detect the naughty secret ingredient 'S'.) Perfumes don't last long on me - even the Angel range - and I was expecting this to disperse into thin-air. However, it's four hours since I sprayed it on and every now and then I get a little 'hit' and I've been out and about too. I suppose that if you did want this to make more of an impact then you could spray a lot more on. As it is it's a perfect scent for - Ahem - intimate liasions and summer, although I don't really go for all of that winter/summer thing at all. If you like something wear it all year round, just go easy on the application. REALLY glad I've got some of this - it's comforting and sexy.
    Note - As someone who, despite their great love of perfume, is allergic to it and has to apply a barrier cream before wearing unless I want to come out in a hideous rash, Mugler's Cologne doesn't irritate my skin at all so this is a good one for those who also suffer with sensitive skin. Highly recommended.

's avatar

Geisha Rouge by Aroma M

Save yourself some money and purchase some cinnamon oil from you local supermarket. Mix in some industrial bathroom freshener. Voila!

decillisjl's avatar

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

yes Yes YEs YES!!! I saved this for the last of my C&S sample voyage, and I am so happy that I did, as this is by far my favorite of the entire line. Ever since I received a sample of Montale Attar from Dimitri I have had a bit of clinical obsession with rose scents, and I never thought that anything would trump that glorious masterpiece... well I was wrong. This is, in my opinion, an absolutely perfect study in synergistic moderation. There is a bit of citrus, there is a bit of rose, and there is a bit of soapy buttery sandalwood, but the additive composition as a whole is much greater than the sum of its parts. Due to previous reviews I was almost prepared for a nose wrinkling blast of geranium and herbal bergamot, but my sicilian skin soaked it up so fast it danced beautifully right into the heart notes, where the rose masterfully envelops the weaker florals without becoming too astringent or pronounced. I am a sucker for strong heartnotes, and through its development 88 might derive a bit of creaminess from the sandalwood, and a bit of earthiness from the vetiver, but the blend is so well contrived that the linearity is absolutely welcome. I'm four hours into this experience, and the waves of sillage are still pulsing as strongly as the initial drydown. Although it is considered unisex, I feel as if this is more a masculine fragrance, although I would love to smell this on my girlfriend (in fact I would probably love to smell this on a couch, a towel, a dog, a television, or anywhere else the overspray landed). My bank account was really hoping that I would be hohum about any new fragrances, but my water bill assured me that it wouldn't mind if I paid it a month late this year. Please sign up and get your free samples from C&S... you might have to wait a month to get your package, but I am very interested in your opinions, and it's FREE!!!

decillisjl's avatar

Sandalwood Cologne by Geo F Trumper

this is a lesson in patience... Preconceptions given the blatant use of sandalwood in the name would lend you to believe that this would be a one man show, but this is very far from the truth. The opening spicy citrus kick is anything but the creamy soft texture you would think a sandalwood fragrance to be. My girlfriend, who has the enhanced olfactory sensitivity of a newly pregnant woman, thought it beautiful on the skin but had a bit of insect repellant sillage. As we lay down to watch American Idol (thank god for DVR) some mysterious changes came to pass. Within fifteen minutes the brutal acid of the citrus top started to quiet, and an extremely sweet (though not cloying) floral santal vanilla started to pulse and waft up from my chest. This is definately an "aura" fragrance, which projects only enough to be detected by those within a couple of feet from you. As everything settles down you are left with a very stark vanilla with just enough sandalwood to keep it from being too sweet. All in all at hour one I would give it a 7, hour two a 9, and hour three forward down to a 8. It definately does not fit the bill as a pure sandalwood fragrance, and after the last few months of smelling vanilla in most of the fragrances I sampled, I cannot give it an enthusiastic thumbs up, but a thumbs up teetering on neutral.

Rochas Man by Rochas

One of the funnest scents to wear at not a bad price. I love the coffee note, and it does smell like a strawberry shortcake. Why cant men have fun too...... ladies? Very lavendar and vanilla, that stays close to the skin. Its fades kind of fast on me. Love the bottle.

Touch for Men by Burberry

Really synthetic, too powdery and sooo strong!!! Yet it is somewhere in my top 10! I love it! It smells fresh to me! I dont like aquatics or hugo boss scents! This to me is what fresh smells like! Last all day. Doesnt change its mind on you. A violet pepper musk scent that is a classic!

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

It smells like a rich man. I bought it when it first came out in like 03, I was in my early 20's. I didnt like it as much as my other colognes I was wearing at the time till one day I sprayed more than a lil bit on. The weather got warmer and it mixed with my body chemistry then boomm!!! I fell in the with the woodiness in this scent. I smelled sophisicated, sexy, and rich! In my recent adventure to Nordstrom I smelled Yom Fords Oud Wood. It is twice the money and not as half as good as this! If it aint broke, dont try to fix it! I love you FORD!

Unforgivable by Sean John

Sex magnet!!!!!! I dont really care if it is a rip off. Females love it. I am not that crazy about it from when I first smelled it. It does smell very sexy, very much like a man. It releases the spices on me...... the basil, sage, cashmere and the sea moss! I really dig this juice!!!!

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

Is this Unforgivable???? Almost??? There is something diff....I dont know I been wearing Unforgivable all week. I am wearing Bond No 9 Wallstreet today...Damn I like this one a lil better! Its not as spicey!

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

THUMBS WAY UP!!!!!!!! BEAUTIFUL.

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

Im with the rest of you who dont smell carmel. Its a very zesty..or kinky lemon. The top notes run this fragrance. Do the middle and the basenotes exist? Its good tho! I find it to be for a very playful man.

robpmgc's avatar

Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I was scared off of anything called "gourmand" by A*Men. The cloying sweetness put me off. Safran Troublant makes me realize that this was a mistake. The opening is what I call "hot" and delicious, an Indian lunch buffet, saffron, rose water, and a blend of the spices from the many dishes. The hottness fades, and vanilla appears, as if all the vindaloo has been taken, and what remains of the buffet is but the pudding. Not a lot of projection, not long lasting, which is a shame as it is gorgeous. I find it very masculine, while I would love to meet the exotic beauty that comes to mind when I imagine a woman wearing it. This is the finest saffron scent I have experienced to date.....

artemesia's avatar

Pink Lotus by Aftelier

Lovely, and complex, definitely no aldehydes only natural essences.

JGbeader's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Gucci Flora by Gucci

A big disappointment. First, a blast of sparkling but sickly faux apricot, like one of those stodgy slice cakes with plastic-y fruit fillings and dubious, slightly rancid fat in the flour. Then, a boring floral accord with nothing to distinguish it from a hundred hundred thousand others. A triumph of mediocrity. They forgot to add a dry down which is perhaps why it's so short-lived. Wanting to capture the Britney market I suspect. Yawn.

Speed00kills's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

I like most everything about this frag besides the fact that it's a bit too sweet for my taste and lack of longevity.. Other than that I like the fact that it strays from the droney single file pack of dull designer scents being released as of late. Thumbs up

Fragrance Queen's avatar

Enigma by Alexandra de Markoff

I think it is a fine fragrance for perhaps older ladies.

Holli's avatar

M by Mariah Carey

the notes in this sounded so promising. i wanted to feel i was roasting marshmallows at the beach. in the bottle, the smell is nice though very sweet and intrusive. on my skin, the salt note kind of takes over after fighting with the sweetness. it could work nicely for someone else. definitely a try first. long lasting for sure.

Holli's avatar

Rumeur (new) by Lanvin

this is my current favorite and the scent that helped me drop my fear of musk. it does start out a little obnoxious, but quickly turns into a quirky fun smell. mostly, the musk, rose and patchouli run the show. the rose note is definitely not your standard red rose. anytime i wear this, it leads me to feel like a happy hippie with flowers in my hair and sunlight on my shoulders.

odysseusm's avatar

Let Me Play The Lion by LesNez

Incense, sandalwood
    This is a simple, minimalist scent. It has a dusty, dusky sandalwood which gets some notes from its usual neighbor (cedar) and other notes from a slightly sweet, aromatic incense. The incense is restrained and I only noted it upon a second application. Essentially a woody and dry scent, it is also somewhat delicate, sitting close to the skin. The sandalwood hints at creamy vanilla but never goes there. It also whispers a kind of salty tang . If you are looking for a very subtle and restrained sandalwood, this would suit you. (revised)

06 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th December, 2010)

Indie_Guy's avatar

DKNY Men (original) by Donna Karan

Smells like a raspberry lemon ice. I also get fresh cotton notes and the most unusual red maple. It's too bad the bottle was so cumbersome and awkward-- great fragrance otherwise. Still, the frosted grey sides of the bottle do convey accurately the feel of this scent. I always thought there was something "off" about this one-- in a good way. It never gets mentioned much these days and it's discontinued. I still reach for it on occasion.

purplebird7's avatar

Chocolate Amber by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

If you're looking for a delicious, edible chocolate perfume, this one is fabulous. Pure chocolate absolute and creamy vanilla combine in a melt-in-your-mouth confectionery that manages to steer clear of too much sweetness. How? By smelling just boozy enough to elicit images of a snifter full of Creme de Cacao. Maybe there's even a touch of Amaretto in there. It's mouthwatering. Characteristic of an all-natural perfume, it is never overpowering but clean and clear in its aroma even though it is rich and decadent.

TaoLady's avatar

SummerbyKenzo by Kenzo

A dear BaseNoter sent me a sample of this beauty when I babbled on about loving mimosa. And Summer is eminently babble-worthy - the opening mimosa is soft but very evocative with - as Nukapai says - more than a hint of honeysuckle. On me Summer dries down quickly to a longlasting stroll through a mid summer garden by the sea!

TaoLady's avatar

Diamant by Fragonard

A rich fruity Oriental. The brilliant spiced and citrusy opening is underlaid with deep-breathing roses and jasmine which with the musky amber base notes has great lonevity. Season spanning and a great harvester of compliments!

loveless's avatar

Taiwan Taiwan

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

This fragrance is so easy to understand. Very straight forward with its tangy lemon and natural smell of pine needles. Sometimes at a particular moment on my skin it does smell like lemon-scented wood polish but... still, it is haughy. Such a proud character.

What to say... Blenheim Bouquet is exact with its precision. Some would love this kind of quality, and I'm one of them.

ps. One big drawback is the price ----- considering its longevity is very poor (said goodbye to me after 30 mins), I don't know if I'm willing to purchase.

loveless's avatar

Taiwan Taiwan

Castile by Penhaligon's

Castile is a natural and graceful scent. What i love the most is its opening -- the neroli is so vivid and clear, it's gorgeous. And later on it changes into a soft blend of florals and musk. It is nice and wonderfully-done, however I feel it is too floral-sweet (I prefer bitter neroli) and tender for my taste. Was surprised to see Penhaligon's marketed it towards men rather than women.

Nevertheless, very classy and elegant. Like a soft dream. Suitable for graceful people... like how it is meant for those living inside old Spanish castles, i think.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Knowing by Estée Lauder

It's a shame this chypre doesn't have a bigger reputation - it's really quite good!

The top notes are a powdery and rather aldehydic citrus, lasting only about fifteen minutes to half an hour before they've been completely absorbed into a rich, mossy heart. The moss note is the real soul of this fragrance, dark, rich, yet dry, animalic and almost musty, a faint floral haze rounding it off and putting a soft-focus touch on such an uncompromising star. In the base the moss fades, leaving a powdery layer of mixed florals.

The sillage and longevity are very good. It lasts well over twelve hours, up to twenty-four at least, and the sillage is warm and enveloping but not overpowering.

I own a bottle and, in fact, I'm wearing it as I write this review.

( To fans of the much rarer and more expensive Rose de Nuit: it has THAT kind of moss note. Check this one out! )

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

MPG is one of the finest houses in the world and a true niche brand. MPG's fragrances are opulent, rich and almost ridiculously complex. I haven't tried their entire line, but I'm sure that all their creations are anything but dull.

Ambre Precieux is one the finest, most complex, richest and best blended amber fragrances I've ever tried. It possesses a very interesting duality: it's opulent, but not unwearable, it's serious, but not boring, it's complex, but not complicated. It's warm, creamy and sweet but all of that is very well balanced with a touch of spices and incense, thus the scent doesn’t become cloying.

I have to admit that I don't fully comprehend all the faces of this fragrance, it's not my favourite, as I find amber a much too heavy ingredient (Ambre Sultan being probably the best proof of this heaviness - this heaviness being consistently reduced in Ambre Precieux), but I have to admire its complexity and originality, especially in a time when even some of the niche companies have begun creating some quite dull, mainstream fragrances.

I'm definitely going to try more of the MPG's fragrances, as this is one of the most interesting alternatives to all of the "Pour Homme"s, "Eau"s or "Water"s out there.

07 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 May, 2009)

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

Pot Pourri by Santa Maria Novella

I really want to think that this fragrance is better than what I perceive. Based on what I read about it, I expected to love it, but it wasn't quite like that. I find it harsh, much too medicinal and not very accessible. Normally, I would probably rate it as negative, but I feel that the small sample I had was not enough to fully comprehend this fragrance. I really think it takes time to appreciate it. Unfortunately, I did not have that time.

SirSlarty's avatar

Zipped Sports by Perfumer's Workshop

Over ripe citruses on the top. The opening is just OK. However, it immediately takes on a disgustingly transparent woods and herbal texture close to an air freshener that's been in the car for years.