Fragrance Reviews from June 2009

mikey_p's avatar
    mikey_p

Amarige by Givenchy

Tuberose's reputation has been damaged almost irrepairably by this most horrid affair. If I were her I would sue.

mikeperez23's avatar
    mikeperez23

Muguet by Molinard

I previously used Diorissimo, to 'get' what lily of the valley smells like (since here in Miami, it's not very popular). Muguet by Molinard is different, from the Dior, from the first spray.

Sturdier, much greener - the top notes evoke a stem prominent floral accord (not dirty, but leafy) and a residual citrus tang (lemon) that balances out the green notes and keeps it from smelling too soapy. I say soapy, because that is the overall effect one gets from lily of the valley scents: mostly because so many popular soaps and detergents are scented with lily of the valley fragrances. So the soap=lily of the valley connection is easy to make.

The scent is extremely linear, after its initial green-ness, the only slight evolution is a honeyed effect of the florals. The dry down is a light musky wood.

Longevity is fantastic - it lasts more than 4-5 hours from only a few sprays.

This is NOT my favorite type of fragrance category, but nonetheless I'm intrigued by it and would easily recommend it for someone looking for a clean, crisp and unisex lily of the valley scent.

jrd4t's avatar
    jrd4t

Acqua di Sale by Profumum

This was just awful. It has some sort of accord in it that almost triggers the gag reflex, not unlike Secretions Magnifique. I think it's an iodine note that you get hit with in the back of your throat. If this is a beach, it's definitely not one I want to be visiting.
    Unfortunately, it's also quite tenacious. Just a few swipes from the sample vial and I was wafting it everywhere. I seldom encounter "scrubbers," but I did actually have to scrub this off as best I could. It's just not good.

pkiler's avatar
    pkiler

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Well, After reading the reviews, I was interested, I'm working on my own Oud fragrance, and wanted to know what Ford did with it.

So, I have to say that it was a wholly unremarkable fragrance, and had about 15 minutes at best of the faintest oud odor.
    What a big waste of time and energy... Just worthless...

And after the oud was gone, well, what's left is not worth anyone's time...

Sorry Tom, a big miss...

(Can I give it five thumbs down?)

pkiler's avatar
    pkiler

Kadota by Michael Storer

This is one GREAT Frag! The Fig has great body, lasting power, and I really LOVE it!

Mike's Customer service, samples, and the ordering is fantastic, for a fantastic product!!!

Keep the great work coming, Mike!

play's avatar
    play

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Very very well done composition. I usually dislike sweet colognes but the rich creamy sweetness in this one I can live with. Vanilla and amber dominate throughout. Smells like inside of a pastry kitchen. Longevity is more than enough. I can smell it in shower next morning. Can be great for layering. Good stuff.

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Ultimo by Tru Fragrance

Le Male clone complete with the annoying lavender.

Galleddrim's avatar
    Galleddrim

Exceptional Because You Are for Men by Exceptional

Got a couple samples of this and poured them into a mini 5mL atomizer to test it out. Nice smelling. Sort of a subdued floral opening with a hint of grapefruit or something similar. Has a decent dry wood drydown. But it is kind of weak, and pretty (shall I say it?) unexceptional.

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

Ralph Hot by Ralph Lauren

edible in every way. delicious maple/vanilla/creamy scent. my friend at work wears this and it is irresistable no doubt.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

Michael Kors / Michael by Michael Kors

If I hadn't been given this perfume as a gift, I wouldn't have bought it. It's not awful, but there is nothing different or outstanding about it. In fact it was clearly desigened by the corporate powers that be to be as "pedestrian" as possible so that they could sell a ton of it. It's so middle-of-the-road neutral that it can be worn by a woman, or a man. I would give it a neutral thumb, but instead I'm giving it a thumb down because it leaves me so bored and uninspired that I know I'll never reach for it again.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

This is a strange one. Kind of a weird cacophany of notes in the beginning and a little more floral than I would like. However, this starts to come together for me in the middle where I'm getting a note that's like a spicy and peppery carnation. At this point it reminds me of the opening of Caron's Bellodgia and the patchouli then becomes the perfect counterpoint to balance it out. LBdD starts out almost too feminine, then takes a turn into a place that has a slightly more masculine edge. Overall, I prefer the latter stages and if the men can wait until the top notes pass, I think they would love this scent. I have both the EDT and the EDP and find the latter to be much richer. Dont waste your time on the EDT.

kess's avatar
    kess

Tabac Aurea by Sonoma Scent Studio

This is an excellent substitute to Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque, if you don't want to spend the big bucks and/or want to support US-based artisan parfumeries. Longevity is excellent.

MFJ's avatar
    MFJ

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

One of the least mentioned classics of ysl. Its bitter-sweet woodsy notes are very easy and pleasing to the nose. Unlike experiences with m7 and kouros, this was quite an instant satisfaction. Despite it not being as sophisticated as m7, kouros or rive gauche, i certainly enjoy this. there is a mineral herbal feel to it. easy not to love but hard to hate. Deserves more mention

MFJ's avatar
    MFJ

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

As the name speaks, this flanker is definitely livelier, but still remains uncomplicated. Alot of similarities of the original have been retained. Just a more "pumped" edition given its fresher nature. Like Jazz, this is easily likable. It manages to avoid the generics that are idiosyncratic to fresher flankers of other scents. the woodsy notes are mainstay and constant. simple and enjoyable, best of all, it does not smell synthetic

Pollux's avatar
    Pollux
    Argentina Argentina

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

A spicier take of Dior Homme with a prominent iris - like drydown, maybe Olivier Polge's signature? Feels too contemporary in its femenine character.

Pollux's avatar
    Pollux
    Argentina Argentina

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

It is almost like Polo Crest with some notes of the original Polo. So I guess it will be quite welcomed by lovers of the now defunct Polo Crest. As for me, I appreciate the fact that is not, at all, in line with modern or present templates, which in the times being, is surprising.

Truffles's avatar
    Truffles

Elle by Yves Saint Laurent

Wearing a sample of this today. It reminds me a bit of Gucci II. It's not offensive but to me there's nothing classy or expensive about the smell and it's typical of a lot of modern perfumes. It's a bit too sweetie/fruity for me so I won't be buying it.

archibald's avatar
    archibald

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

I'll take the oud exprts word for it that Oud Wood may not be the purest sxression of that material, and it's probably not a dumb guess that its relatve oudlessness is exactly why I find it orders of magnitude less obnoxious than Black Aoud, the least obnoxious oud frag I'd tried befor recieving my sample of Oud Wood. For those who know M7 was produced under Ford's direction, I guess Oud Wood can't help but conjure up a neural connection, but while M7 celebrates Oud at its most medicinal and rubbery, Oud Wood elevates its resinous and smokey aspects, acomplished perhaps by the addition of a healthy shot of rosewood. Sure, it's linear but that's the Private Blend Collection deal, isn't it? You read the label and figure that's literally what you're going to get. If less Oud winds up being more in this frag,so be it. It's a full bottle buy for me

Apicius's avatar
    Apicius
    Germany Germany

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

This fragrance is difficult to use. It can be overapplied very easily. The point is that the scent does not appear very strong to the person who wears it but to everyone else around. It must somehow anaesthetise the olfaction.

I think it was introduced obviously before the use of synthetics became common in the perfume industry, at least it gives me the impression that it is still all natural. Extremely good, especially considered that low price!

They offer a wide range of products in that line and for a more discreet scent, even the pre-shave is sufficient.

xmen's avatar
    xmen
    Singapore Singapore

Burberry for Men (Version #2) by Burberry

One of the best British men's scent. A shame this is so hardly mentioned when it's just so good. I just can't stop sniffing it on my arms. An absolute gem.

Mehtig's avatar
    Mehtig
    Turkey Turkey

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

I believe that this fragrance is so poor about longevity. It can be named as "eau de cologne". It smells fine firstly, but later you can not smell it. It's so fresh and feminine. I prefer wonderful colognes like Gucci Pour Home and Gucci Envy for men instead of Gucci PH II.

MJW77's avatar
    MJW77

Millésime Impérial by Creed

This is a really beautiful fragrance. I do also get the aquatic and melon notes as mentioned by other basenoters. It's just so fresh and clean I can understand why it's so popular. Fantastic. I have to admit I'm gutted it's been compared to and mistaken for Unforgivable. Unforgivable is a fragrance I never have smelt and have no intention of doing so, but I am now concerned others may think I'm wearing it! At the end of the day I shouldn't really care because, quite simply, when wearing Millisime Imperial I smell great either way.

Mar Azul's avatar
    Mar Azul
    Bulgaria Bulgaria

cK be by Calvin Klein

If it was Comme De Garcons they would have named it "Artificial Leather", "Pink Plastic", "Matchstick", "Condom", whatever... And it would receive quite a different bundle of reviews with a different set of associations. But Since it's CK, and since the bottle is the same as the mainstream CK One, there's always a bit of confusion involved... What's that smell anyway?
    When I first smelled, I thought there was too little to smell at all, like some kind of very light chemical. Some days later I already knew this perfume has a certain statement... Peach, lavender, mint, whatever is in the list, they're mixed in a way that creates something that barely connects to the human world... maybe just some kind of musk plays its usual role . Yet my overall impression is that it's not made for humans at all. At times it reminds me of a frigid Bulgari Black, without the passion and warmness. Rubber, face tonic, shaving foam, plastic, medicine and a lot of similar references.
    Strange enough, on my skin the smell disappears very quickly but then after an hour or so, returns stronger than in the beginning.
    For me this is quite an interesting experiment and I respect it, but it's sometimes emotionally disturbing, Can't figure out the appropriate situation to wear this... reminds me of rainy and wind day in Dresden, when I was waiting in a laundromat. Maybe they should have made a grey bottle instead of black.

YouCanCallMeMo's avatar
    YouCanCallMeMo

Wood - Spices by Montale

I'm torn...the first day I wore it, I really enjoyed the long-lasting spiciness. On the second day, all I could smell was cherry flavoured Pipe tobacco. I am missing "wood" altogether....

terrypitts's avatar
    terrypitts

I am King by Sean John

Well, I really wanted to like this. It has great fresh fruit scents as it first comes out of the bottle - I even smell watermelon (wouldn't that be a great scent?). But it disappears instantly. I walked into the next room and asked my wife what she thought and she couldn't smell it. I've used it several times and I swear it doesn't last ten minutes.

terrypitts's avatar
    terrypitts

Yuzu Fou by Parfum d'Empire

This is one of the first times that it seems as if I can actually separate some of the fragrance notes, especially: the yuzu (a tart Asian "tangerine-like" citrus, I now know), the kumquat (yes, I remember smelling ornamental kumquat trees before). the mint, and the verbena. Maybe even the white musk trailing off at the end. Very intriguing. I don't know if it is "me", but I like this more every time I try it. This might be a fragrance to help me turn a corner on what I like.

JPN's avatar
    JPN
    Denmark Denmark

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I am wearing it as i type. I love this scent. It is really good for the summer

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

This honestly smelled like baby wipes to me. I really don't get all the hype, don't see how everyone is so obsessed with this fragrance. Then again, I just smelt a sample and never really sprayed it on my skin to really get to test it. At first, I thought it was pretty decent.. But now Im beginning to find it intolerable.

All I can smell is BABY WIPES. My sample is sitting in my closet all lonely.. I'd give it neutral still though, considering.

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Oh my lord, I am IN LOVE with this scent. It smells so great, I can't describe. I don't know about the rest of the world, but for me, it lasted long. It has a tad bit sweet in it, but not to the point where it's disgusting. I hate sweet scents, but the little bit of sweet they added is perfect. Then, on the other hand, it smells so clean. Great mix, in my opinion.

212 on Ice (2009) by Carolina Herrera

I found this one interesting.. Very frou-frou. Im not really good with Perfume lingo, so you'll have to deal with my average person review. :( It sadly almost smelt TOO flowery. Like the really flowery glade plug-ins. I don't know.. Maybe I just need to warm up to it. Probably not something I'd buy.