Fragrance Reviews from June 2009

Alegria Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez

Fresh? Check. Uhhhh, I suppose that's that. Alegria is close to the word "allegro" which means fast and that's the gist of the fragrance. I own Angel Schlesser and agree with the comparison. Schlesser lasts a heck of a lot longer. Plus it's a little like the infamous aquatic Acqua di Gio but without the cologny feel.

Aquatic fresh spices. I usually give fresh stuff a fighting chance but some part of this feels weak. But humble. It's good but I wouldn't get myself a bottle.

Flowing Man by Puma

Well, it's Puma, what do you expect, Comme des Garcons' avant-garde approach with the craftsmanship of Guerlain and the richness of a Serge Lutens'? Adidas, Lacoste... give these guys a break. They're sports colognes. After a sweaty tennis match I sure as heck want to spray myself with a heavy oriental like Shalimar! Yes indeedy! *sarcasm!*

Perfectly simple smell. A huge "duh" to say it's highly synthetic. It opens with a crisp greenish citrus and has the base of a very small clean woody patchouli and musk. An herbs and spices accord in the middle which is really enjoyable, mixes with the woody drydown and, wait for it.... flows right into the rest of the drydown. Not bad.

illyria's avatar

Cinnamon Spice by Body Shop

I don't smell any cinnamon in this. It smells like an Angel knock-off to me.

gandrasta's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Agua Fresca de Rosas by Adolfo Dominguez

Agua fresca de rosas is a bit steep and disappointing. Dominguez's juices usually created with delicate artsy and dedication. Maybe this one is exceptional. Indeed, a tap water with rose petals solution.

ThrowingShade's avatar

Samba for Men by Perfumer's Workshop

I remember when this first came out. It was very popular and then kind of fell off the radar. It was expensive then, not so much now. It still smells amazing and still has a great place in my wardrobe. It used to remind me of Liz Claiborne and still does somewhat. Go figure.

ThrowingShade's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Wow! This stuff starts off VERY strong and somewhat overpowering. After it mellows a bit it is extremely nice. The perfect companion for a night on the town. After an hour or so it smells very sweet and you will get compliments. I wouldn't recommend this on a humid day though, as it evaporates quickly. It does smell kind of synthetic to me as well so, I don't wear it as often as I would like.

AnimaSola's avatar

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

I recently purchased this again after many years, and boy, was I wowed! I'd forgotten how gorgeous this stuff is. It is a gloriously fresh and floral bouquet inspired with lovely woods and subtle patchouli. JaimeB describes the notes and character of this fragrance articulately and eloquently; this is at once an engaging and intoxicating scent. It sells for much less than it is worth on internet fragrance sites. Zino Davidoff is singular masculine sophistication at its finest, and it is appropriate for any occasion, formal or casual. I wish I could give it more than a thumbs up. Enthusiastically recommended.

Patty's avatar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

This always was, and remains, my favorite fragrance on a man. Forget Cool Water and all its clones, forget the Calone in everything. I recoil when I get a whiff of what guys are wearing nowadays, while Old Spice makes me want to move in closer. Attention all men: try this classic! Get over the idea that you need something expensive or designer to smell good.

misscasey's avatar

Eau Fraîche by Bulgari

A fresh, clean, fruity floral. Delicate yet sassy. Nearly reminiscent of tea. I enjoy this scent a lot, and would give it a thumbs up if it weren't so wispy. After 15 minutes I can hardly get a whiff. I bought 1 ounce unsniffed at a discount store about a week ago, and I've sprayed half the bottle in an effort to follow the scent to its secret hiding place. If only this were a bit stronger :(

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

LOLITA LEMPICKA AU MASCULIN: Wearing this, I feel like Fern on the ferris wheel in the middle of the summer carnival. That would be Fern from “Charlotte’s Web.” There’s something in this juice that evokes cotton candy and carefree summer nights and getting stuck atop the ferris wheel with the boy you love. It’s sweet and youthful and innocent, a reminder of the girl in seventh grade who always smelled so delicious you wanted to lick her—but she was going with the football player and so you just smiled and she back at you, leaving a trail of something yummy in her wake. This is the kind of fragrance that’s slightly elegiac, made for the gloaming hour and reveries of lovely girls and boys from your past.

The Dreamer by Versace

THE DREAMER: The fragrance that taught me complexity (and also the depth of knowledge of the people who frequent Basenotes, for which I remain in awe and grateful). At first squirt, I winced and thought, Not even for room fragrance. Frankly, it was alarming—and yet, at the same time, it was like pain that hurt so good, you had to return. There’s something slightly s-and-m about that first encounter, which makes me think of The Dreamer as a bit of a dominatrix/master. And it takes a while to warm to what’s going on—at least the first time. Thereafter, as with all good things, it’s worth the wait—and then the rewards. This is a fascinating fragrance of seemingly myriad moods: a kind of leather and lace personality, both romantic and domineering at once. Hypnotic and addictive, once you’re in The Dreamer’s grasp, there’s no release.

Boss Soul by Hugo Boss

BOSS SOUL: Rich and smooth, a bit like sharing a post-prandial cognac with someone who wants to take you to bed. There’s a kind of smoky quality to the air and a hint of what might or might not happen. Boss Soul is a bit like Diana Krall: seductive without being overbearing. You’re intriqued if not completely certain why. The night could go either way—and this fragrance represents that delicious tension.

ChrisJPN's avatar

Japan Japan

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I certainly get the underlying smell of dung initially, then it becomes very leathery. After a few minutes though it settles into a soft, smoky sweetness. Very delicate, intricate and quite beautiful. Don't buy it blindly but absolutely a work of genius which I like a little more every time I wear it.

oeonologist's avatar

Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès

This is my second review... With that in mind; I got a lot of pepper and smoke on the top and a sweetness that seemed more pronounced as it wore on or dried down as it were. I felt as though I had a nice little secret that I kind of wanted to let other people in on while wearing this....

truelateral's avatar

Eden by Cacharel

Vile rotting vegetable smell, soggy, strong, headachy, sickly. I had to keep going back to smell it on my wrist just to check it really was that bad. I feel sorry for whoever had to share an elevator with me before I managed to scrub it off.

Plato's Caveman's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Chrome by Azzaro

Some will say that fresh fragrances are played out, or complain about a synthetic note in this one, but this is still one of the warm weather fragrances that receive an almost embarrassing amount of compliments. To my nose Chrome is a clean-smelling mixture of citrus, florals, woods and microchips. Nature meets Human Intellect.

Older guys (40+) should perhaps be wearing this type of fragrance (applied in moderation) more often, instead of being so stuck to their beloved heavy woods and spices. Why be serious, traditional and stuffy all the time when you can also be playful, contemporary and fresh?

Plato's Caveman's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Definitely one of the most masculine scents out there! The barbershop references are spot on. If Rive Gauche were a man’s face it would be strong and square-jawed, super-clean shaven, with fierce eyes that say don’t mess with me!

At times Rive Gauche can be too sharp and harsh. I layer it with a small amount of Tabac Original, which also has a barbershop quality but of a different kind. Tabac’s soapy, masculine florals do a good job of softening the edges. The eyes remain fierce but a slight smile now plays on the lips. Fantastic.

whendovescry's avatar

Love In Paris by Nina Ricci

I have never gotten as many compliments on my perfume as I have since I started wearing this one! I love it. It's light but lasts long. It's fresh but doesn't smell like just soap. It's feminine yet not sooo sweet or too flowery. I've gotten complimented on it from both men and women...and I've gotten asked "what perfume are you wearing?" even by salespeople at fragrance counters. I think it's very unique. My husband doesn't like heavily sweet perfumes (hated Hanae Mori Butterfly) but he loves Love In Paris. And some people who usually are very sensitive to smell (allergies) have said that it doesn't bother them.

Carmella's avatar

Noa by Cacharel

Noa is an absolutely beautiful scent. It is my favorite, although it's getting harder and harder to find. I've gotten many compliments and actually had a man at work stand in the back of my office just enjoying the scent. I don't like harsh smells and I don't like those citrusy scents that have been popular over the past few years. Plus, I don't like smelling like everyone else.

Woody3D's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I'm a guy who actually likes this very much. I don't wear it out of the house (well, sometimes I do a teensy squirt then cover that with a squirt of GUCCI HOMME ORIGINAL) (Which I Just found out is ALSO a Creation of TOM FORD!!!) I use the BLACK ORCHID when I am Animating as a for of Aroma Therapy. It is Exquisite. Reminds me of my 8th Cousin Bette Davis mixed with my 7th Cousin Amelia Earhart. (Really... Ancestry.com is awesome!)..

I also like Gaultier La Fleur du Male, I use one or the other on the inside of might right bicep right before sleep so I can smeel it right under my nose while I dream. I dream of fields of flowers and outdoors and lakes and stuff when I do this so it Must be good for the mind/soul when awake too :)

Tony T's avatar

Nicole Miller for Men by Nicole Miller

Well done old school masculine.. The apple and bourbon are a constant duo throughout the longevity of the scent.. I never smelled the original but that's okay since this is so affordable.. The vanilla/woody drydown is blended perfectly without being cloying and cheap.. A great alternative to today's mundane offerings..

09 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 02 February, 2014)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Ambra Nera by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

Upon opening you are hit smack in the face with warm honey amber / vanilla used in Ambra Nera but this certainly dries out quickly. This warm sweet phase passes quickly with the blending of the green resinous dry aspects of cypress, eucalyptus, benzoin, patchouli and vetiver. Amber blended with these green woods and vetiver smells kind of like stacks of new paper in a bindery - a dry woodiness with a slight warmth. Overall this fragrance is what you would expect from a fragrance of amber mixed with these green and dry wood notes. A gentle sweet but resinous new wood scent built around amber. A very spare formula that is simple and works well.

Quarry's avatar

Jicky by Guerlain

Not that Jicky needs my review to compel Guerlain to keep it in production, but I'll add my voice to the Basenotes Tabernacle Choir of halleluja-ers.

Lavender is a beautiful flower and scent, but wear it without some sweetening, and it can be cold. Add a vanilla? Good idea! But isn't that just a tad simplistic? How about some civet for curiosity? Perfect! Stop right there.

I like the edt the best, but all formulations are splendid. Keep a sample on hand if you don't "get it" on your first try. No matter how short your must-try list, Jicky should be on it.

ubuandibeme's avatar

D'Humeur Jalouse by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Jealousy, the 'green eyed monster'...so you can guess this one is green. Not your everyday leaves & herbs. This is the green of tomato leaves and stems. Bitter, yet interesting. I think there may be some iris and cedarwood hiding in the base, but any other notes living within this blend are overrun by the 'monster greens'! Fun frag, exciting to my nose. Makes me wonder how the rest of the L'Artisan 'moods' range smells. Creative!

ubuandibeme's avatar

Ambre de Cabochard by Grès

If you have Hermes taste on a discount shopping budget, Ambre de Cabochard might work for you! This one smells like a great substitute for Ambre Narguile of the Hermessence line of fragrances. Fruity and very sweet, when the sugar burns off after the first couple hours, the amber shows itself. Strikes me as the amber base of the old Emeraude by Coty. I found a bottle of this at a local discounter for $9.99. A bargain if you like your amber super sweet.

L'Être Aimé Homme by Divine

Spices/herbs and foody and felt like I spilt my mother's chicken soup on myself. Other than the top notes, nothing else is interesting about this. Typical woody amber found in most designer scents. Don't like it.

markhoos's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Eau de Cologne à la Reine des Fleurs by Piver

I am surprised that there is only one review for this beautiful french Eau de Cologne 'A la Reine des Fleurs' (Flower Queen style). The House of L.T. Piver claims that this Cologne dates back to 1774. It is rich in vibrant citrus, then the lavender comes in. The basenotes as listed by Piver: thyme, bergamot orange, cloves and rosemary. More good news: it is quite inexpensive. In my country - Holland - I bougt 423 ml/14.25 fl.oz for € 21. One can easily find it on the internet.
    In my opinion is much better than the more well known – and more expensive – 4711. Its longevity of course is limited, but while it is there, it is very beautiful and refreshing. If you like to splash every now and then after having a shower, try it. Traditionally these eaux de cologne are considered unisex.

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Touch for Men by Burberry

Touch is a nice powdery violet scent that is comfortable to wear. There's not much development from top to bottom, but it's one note is so wonderfule that it doesn't have to evolve. This scent is like an old favorite t-shirt, it's super comfortable, it sits just right on your body, and you never get tired of it.

Goldaline's avatar

Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum by Paloma Picasso

This fragrance is a MUST for all patchouli lovers!

vintage*red's avatar

Habanita by Molinard

Thank you, Basenote folks! If you had never blogged about Habanita, I might have missed out on one of the "greats". This scent is NOTHING like I expected. I expected a heavy on the kaboodles Oriental fragrance from the 80's (not my favorite perfume era). Instead, I discovered an abruptly green opening followed by a thick jammy spiced-fruit accord. Next come the florals. Then the drydown is all vetivier & vanilla...very dry hay with just a touch of vanilla. Yes, there is amber but the final star of this show is the vetivier. I can see this as a masculine if you put it on early and go out for the drydown. Bravo!