Fragrance Reviews from June 2009

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Amazing stuff here.. So complex and captivating it stays intriguing from the first spritz until you go to bed. I have actually gone through 2 bottles of this in the past year.

Essential by Lacoste

I really love this. It is perfect for the summertime, it makes me want to go out and enjoy the day. I think this is very woodsy and crisp on me. It lasts quite awhile on me and I enjoy it immensely.

Séxual Fresh pour Homme by Michel Germain

This is VERY STRONG. I was hoping the drydown would change my mind about this one but alas, it didn't. It has sat on my countertop for months now, I might give it to my little brother. Hey, at least the bottle is sexy...

Andyjreid's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

To me this is neutral as it smells exactly like one of the types of L'oreal hair gel. Not a bit like it, but the exact same smell. That leads me to the point that its not a bad smell or one that I dislike. Just not really my style, I mean I'd maybe wear it if it didnt cost £150 a bottle.

P.S. It was L'oreals Radical Gel from the late 90's

10th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 16th September, 2009)

AnnS's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

If I had never seen the bottle or read the marketing for this fragrance, this is what I would say about it: Black is L'Heure Bleue lacking the florals and moody romanticism, but with an obstinant, self-assured voice....BB reminds me very much of my favorite parts of L'Heure Bleue without all the tricky stuff that sometimes makes it hard to wear. I think that Black is definitely unisex and is a well done powdery tea fragrance with a sweet powdery amber and vanilla drydown. I smell something a little like anise in there too. And rather than tar or rubber, what I smell is like a dry spice that is heated up to the point of being on fire - just before it starts to burn - actually the smell of something just about to burn. I think that makes it a little sexy underneath all the simplicity of notes. It is not as aggressive as the marketing and packaging would have you imagine.

Aredore's avatar

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

I tried this yesterday on my wrist.

I miraculously found it in a discount store - perhaps it had *gone* but it was one the most awful things I had ever put on my body. I'm American of mostly french, English and Irish descent, and perhaps it matters, because my mom is "dark Irish" and seems to be able to wear perfume better than myself. I have very pale skin.

*Sweet* scents tend to strengthen on my skin and the Fuity, "raspberry fizz" top note was disgusting. It smelled "dirty" but not in a good way - rotten and powdered and sweetened with splenda. Chemical and sweet/sour. I let it sit for two hours, fighting my instinct to scrub, hoping the Guerlainade would rescue it. No. The rose started to come through near the end of my patience, but the raspberries lingered.

This is not something I could stand to wear again.

Bulgari pour Femme by Bulgari

I rewrote this review because, due to misinformation from a salesperson, I was actually reviewing Bulgari Red Tea! Bulgari Pour Femme is a light, fresh, somewhat sweet floral with a tealike note in there somewhere. Pleasant enough but leaves me bored.

10th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2009)

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Opium is a scent which I would like to smell on other people but not on myself. Sort of like a really nice outfit that looks great on someone else but would not look as good on myself. I like the smell. I like it because it doesn't try to be likeable. It's just there. The notes work well together and it it smells put together. I could like it a lot in the right mood. I would maybe wear a hint of this if I wanted to feel dressed up. Smells like a timeless classic to me.

My Insolence by Guerlain

This fragrance is exceptional in that upon smelling I was sure I disliked it. I am usually less decisive about scents, and in fact this is my first thumbs down review. This is not a bad fragrance. The smell is not offensive or overtly "perfumey." But it is far too light/powdery/sweet for my taste. Perhaps it would be lovely on the right person. I don't know. But I give it a thumbs down since it disagreed with me.

tearoad's avatar

IZOD by IZOD

IZOD by IZOD: Years ago, in a swag bag, I received a bottle of Clinique’s Happy, and wore it—along with everyone else in the world—and was happy. There’s something about Happy in IZOD, in that initial burst of citrus fruit, like a piñata of fruits raining down all around you—and just as with that piñata when it’s smashed open, you almost can’t help but smile at the abundance surrounding you. And then later, once all the limes, tangerines, and grapefruit are trampled underfoot, there’s a faint smell of tobacco and lavender, as if the adults are now smoking quietly at the perimeter of the piñata party. Loud and festive at first, and then settling into a sunny afternoon murmur: that’s IZOD for me and I like it.

White Linen by Estée Lauder

Yuk!...this is awful. Like old granny style soap left in a drawer for 20 years. Not sexy...not anything...except a revolting brew of nastiness.Sickeningly bad!

Tweed by Fine Fragrances & Cosmetics

Probably still the weirdest fragrance i have ever experienced! Not very nice in any shape or form!... much too sharp. Doesn't smell like a fragrance... smells like some cleaning product that could double as paint-stripper. Truly hideous!

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Oh Dear!..when i tested this i couldn't wait to get home and scrub...(yes scrub) it off.. and even then i could still smell the putrid stuff! It's hideously cheap smelling...sickly sweet ,like an old chocolate pudding left in the oven for 20 hours and you can't wait to open a window. It's as unsubtle as a lime green neon sign displaying the word 'unsubtle' in ten foot high letters. It's true...you love it or hate it. I HATE it!

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

I wore this when it first came out and bought it again last month. It doesn't smell as good as it did back then...but still a really nice fragrance.A 'young' fragrance somehow. That is what Drakkar Noir is...nice and youthful!. It's got that clean, clear, just got out of the shower kind of vibe to it...the lavender is there and it stays, but all the other notes are there too and hang around for a fair while.It does get 'darker' the longer you wear it.People always say it smells good...and it does...the only thing it lacks somehow is a certain depth...but it is a fine scent for everyday use...inoffensive and charming without being overpowering.A very good overall fragrance.. i think would suit many men and women.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

From the moment it came out i loved it!...and i still wear it 20 years on it's hold is that powerful...for Joop! has a kind of magic! It doesn't matter what anyone says(and people love or hate it in equal measure) Joop! hooks you in if you allow it to...because you will either fall for it or you won't. i can't describe the smell but it makes me swoon.JOOP! has warmth and depth and plenty of individuality.FABULOUS!

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

FABULOUS! A TRULY GORGEOUS FRAGRANCE. From the start quite wonderful.Clear,clean,intersting,sexy..smells great hours later.I love it!

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Interesting fragrance.A bit unusual..initially powerful without smashing you in the face.The first thing i got was dried fruits, a bit 'odd' but it worked...then quickly the pipe tobacco comes through making you feel all warm and cozy...followed by suede, incence and all the rest...it changes in various interesting ways by the minute..then holds on in quite a subtle way and the sandalwood hangs around for hours..but you get all the rest breaking through from time to time in a playful way.
    Don't think i'd buy it again but i quite enjoyed the experience

Yatagan by Caron

I read the reviews and thought it sounded interesting...unfortunately it's not that interesting..it's actually quite horrid in my opinion. The first thing that struck me was the over-the-topness...followed by a cheap synthetic smell, and something animalistic!!. then, straight after this assault.. burnt wood (which i like around bonfires but not on the skin) and a 1970's male talc smell (hope this is making sense)..which knocks you out with it's macho-ness! The fragrance is too unsubtle for me..way too much fragrance! and not in a good way either!...reminded me of Tabac.Vile!

Solo Loewe by Loewe

Solo smells of lavender/ herbal talc.It's very subtle but not very interesting just a bit sickly due to that talc smell that wont quit! It's soapy and leathery and probably quite classy in the scheme of things but it still smells of talc!

VU by Ted Lapidus

PLEASE BRING IT BACK! VU was gorgeous,mysterious and strange.Sweet, dark,and wonderful.I have looked for it for years...but alas!!.Still i remember it's beauty! FANTASTIC! A MASSIVE THUMBS UP FOR THIS ONE!

Escada Moon Sparkle by Escada

Smells of (mostly raspberry) sweets and dewberry oil. Quite nice if you are about 12 and it's your first shot at wearing perfume...otherwise way too sickly and sweet. Smells cheap, sugary, synthetic and totally overpowering.

latkan's avatar

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

For some reason i had remembered this as a great smelling frag. So when i was able to find it in my local perfume sttore i did not hesistate to buy it, a BIG mistake that was. Not only that it was the 125ml bottle so i wasted the most amount of money possible on it!
    It is very synthetic and smells like (agreeing with machineo) dirty socks.
    Lasting power, well lets just say this is not a war of atrition otherwise it would be over v v quikly!

Waste of time and money completely disgusted now im left with a frag so rubbish to give to my friends [they'll think i playin a prank of some sort]. Sold under name only nothing else. What a waste!!!!!

Primrose's avatar

Stella by Stella McCartney

I was originally drawn to Stella because I adore the scent of rose, but also impressed with the McCartney stance on cruelty-free cosmetics. The scent seems like the simple simple mingling of rose and amber. The scent is long-lasting and has excellent sillage. It is very elegant and unique, and the bottle--heavy faceted glass with deep violet ombre colour--and very contemporary. I use this as both a day and evening scent in the warmer months when my nose craves the scent of flowers. It comes in a range of small purse-sized roll-on vials and also a 1.0 oz spray of EDP. I also have the 3.3 oz as well. Not a young girl's "candy scented" fragrance at all, as if projects an aura of mature sensuality.

David Ruskin's avatar

Brut by Fabergé

It is a classic but now only a shadow of its former self; no more Musk Ambrette! Familiarity breeds comtempt, but it is still a wonderfully put together fragrance. The only vaient I dislike is the Deodorant; that's foul!

Jack's avatar

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

I just took back my chez and exchanged it for this scent. I liked chez, but I also have riverside drive and wanted somthing diff.
    I like these types of scents(new harlem) and wore it today, but I will wait for colder weather to wear this again. I like the Bond No. 9 line and give this a thumbs up. Sum it up a heavy sweet warm scent, perfect for a cold night.

ArmenianDances's avatar

Poland Poland

Spiced Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

Spiced is better than the original Green Tea, being interesting, but not screeching. It starts out as a very spicy scent, but later fades to something soothing. It's actually my favorite scent.
    Only problem is that it lasts not long at all; better to re-apply at every hour. It tends to last weeks when sprayed on letters and books, though...maybe even years?
    The fragrance is good for all ages--smells complex, not shallow, and familiarly mysterious. I'm fifteen, it is fine for me, though much older women can wear it well.
    Actually, it can also be a masculine scent at times.

AndyCapobianco's avatar

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I tried a Hugo Boss fragrance at an airport a couple of years ago and loved it, and believed it was this one, so I blindly bought it. But it was actually Boss Bottled that I had tried in the airport. I was a bit dissapointed when I smelt this for the first time, I thought it was nice enough, but I was looking for the sweet fruityness of Boss Bottled.
    But now I really like Hugo, even though it has some negative reviews I see it as one of the least offensive fragrances. A nice mix between a fruity and spicy scent with enough of a woody base to come together nicely. I'd give it 4 or 5 out of 10 because I can't really fault it

AndyCapobianco's avatar

Ted by Ted Lapidus

Probably my favourite fragrance for general use. Lots of compliments whenever I wear it. The previous review described it well. I don't have much to compare it to, but to me it smells a bit like Hugo, with less spice and more of a fruity citrus scent to it. I lof it

SmellyNinja's avatar

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

After trying the usual suspects, I've settled on this as my favorite gourmand. I find it a perfect warm, playful scent for winter. Though the name leaves me scratching my head, I find Diamonds to otherwise be a pretty smooth concoction. It's not synthetic, candy-like or too fruity, and there are no notes that come off as out of place. Every ingredient blends seamlessly into the other during the drydown which doesn't end up in a powdery mess like some others.

Some may call it pedestrian, but I like it for that very reason. Mature and youthful at the same time, it's safe and suitable for all but the most formal occassions. Longevity and silliage are surprisingly good even in when it's cool and dry outside.

10th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 06th January, 2011)

Primrose's avatar

Le Dandy by D'Orsay

All historically-incorrect information aside, Le Dandy EDT (the reformulation) is a very elegant, crisp fragrance. It is an EDT but has excellent sillage. The ginger note stands out and mingles well with the deeper tobacco and cognac. This fragrance is not for the shy; it is brazen but not obnoxiously so. It is indeed like a Georgian or early Victorian dandy: opulent, elegant, inviting attention and admiration. It is suitable for both men and women, although marketed as a men's scent. (I understand the original formulation in the 1920s was taken up by "flappers" of the time.)

The name of this scent comes as no surprise for the original launch of the fragrance to promote the company's adopted namesake of Count d'Orsay, whom the company made out to be a parfumeur in a clever marketing campaign. In actuality, the company was formed in 1908 by partners Siegfried, Berg, Fink and Van Dyck. (For more history, see Nigel Groom's, "The Perfume Handbook," second edition, and Ken Leach's "Perfume Presentations.")

I would categorise this scent as unique and unlike much of what is in production.

EDIT: The EDP version of Le Dandy was released in 2010 and has less crispness and sillage. The scent is essentially the same but the oakmoss has been removed.

10th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 28th March, 2011)