Fragrance Reviews from June 2009

Nukapai's avatar

Géranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Geraniol and mint hit; that's a short summary of this scent - with two meanings. Hit, because it punches your senses until you see stars, but also a "hit" because the way in which it does that is wonderful and worthy of praise. Geranium pour Monsieur is one of my favourites from this brand.

They have probably used geranium oil and extra geraniol, though it doesn't matter how they did it; whatever they did works perfectly. Geranium can be a misleading label I suppose because the Latin name for the plant used is Pelargonium (and in Finland we call them Pelargonia). The oil is produced by steam distillation from the leaves (and sometimes the stalks are included).

They're popular garden plants and I have some growing every summer. When you break off the leaves and crush them, a sharp, sour, medicinal, fresh, green, slightly citrussy scent emerges. The oil produced is high in geraniol and popular in rose blends because rose oil also contains geraniol - they blend well.

Geranium pour Monsieur achieves something very difficult. The use of mint as a supporting cast member, rather than as an out-of-tune choir singer. Though intended for men, this feels perfectly unisex and I recommend it as a great alternative to typical summer scent for lovers of green and fresh perfumes. Geraniol is a well known insect repellent, so if you're travelling to the tropics on your holiday, wear this!

andyman32's avatar

Gold Man by Amouage

I just opened my Amouage Gold. I sprayed one spray of the vaporizer indirectly on my wrist - not even a concentrated spray - and my reaction as I walked in another room and sat in my easy chair was, and continues to be, WOW. I said to my wife, "Wow!" Incense... a menacing rose that finds its pure, true expression in Lyric... but all I can say is, WOW. It's loud, it's sumptuous, it's a proper sultan's perfume. It is awe-striking... sublime! Gold has spectacular sillage and endurance. A single spray will last all day. You wouldn't wear this for your own benefit; a single spray and you'll be sharing it with your office mates all day. But it is elegant, grand, impressive, as I said, sublime. It's like driving a Rolls Royce. You simply can't drive around in a car like that and not be noticed for the over-the-top grandeur and luxury. This is a Rolls Royce of all fragrances.

If you're a fan of subtle complexities and clever accords, this probably isn't your cup of tea. If you're impressed by, and enjoy, enormous brush strokes, bold colors, loud music... if you know & love Carmina Burana by Carl Orff... and you know your way around fragrances, you will absolutely adore this one. This is the Carmina Burana of fragrances. Take that for what it is. :)

(You may notice that I LOVE this fragrance, and am absolutely, without qualification, impressed by it.)

Moople's avatar

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

To me, this smells nothing like lily of the valley. What I get upon application is the nastiest cough syrup smell. However, that fades in seconds and what's left is the loveliest, lushest, and most realistic jasmine I've ever smelled in a perfume. In my home town, there are old people who collect and sell bunches of jasmine in the subways. Diorissimo smells just like that jasmine - where it's just beginning to decay slightly but it still smells beautiful.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo

An absolute beauty this is! This elephant is definitely the king of the jungle in the Kenzo kingdom for me. And now one of my firm top 10 scents of all time.

Leo the Zen's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Very Clean scent, not the typical acquatic-marine, it is a bit more shall I say romantic-sporty? It reminds me or Romance Silver, but less citrusy. Excellent for office wear. I usually wear Creed GIT for the office, but honestly, I find this one very pleasant, uncomplicated, and rightly priced, and I find that I can easily wear any of them at any given time. Don't bash it based on the old Polo Sport that just like AD'G was worn by the masses and most people with more sophisticated taste began to despise. Those colognes had their own beauty and this one is really good and it has its very own identity. I personally prefer Explorer from the new RL, but still, I cannot understand the real ugly criticism to this very pleasant cologne.

decillisjl's avatar

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

please excuse me for a moment as it is very hard to type with both wrists buried in my face... this is so deriliously sexy it is taking me a minute to collect my thoughts... I cannot fathom how this is labeled or even marketed to les femmes, because it is unisex at best, and although I would love to smell this on a female it has a decidedly masculine characteristic (not quite a magnum p.i. moustache but definately some chest hair)... The topnotes are an effervescent burst of booze and savory herbs (although cinnamon is in the notes I get more of a clove/mace astringency). The heart of the beast pushes forth within a few moments with a very dry cumin pushing the coriander to the back burner (thank god) with the smoky notes of unbrewed tea leaves providing a beautiful contrast to the descending salty booze and ascending incense. I do not honestly know what grey amber signifies but lord does it begin to make a pronounced entry very early on in the drydown... Tactile and syrupy, it rounds out the bitterness and tang of the early notes while creating a luminous base for the incense to rest upon for the rest of the 8+ hours of wearing. I swear that I get a pretty decent helping of sandalwood somewhere in the end result, as after about 4 hours I am immediately reminded of my MPG angel Santal Noble... as this is my first foray into the offerings of Parfum d'Empire I cannot vouch for the entire line, but this has got to be one of the sexiest amber scents I've had the fortune to try. Luckily I've got another 3 or 4 wearings out of my decant, but I'm going to save those for "business time"
    Thumbs up for the nasal erection

underglass's avatar

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

My very first reaction to this fragrance was, "It smells like old perfume from the 50's." It smelled years dated then, and it smells doubly years dated now.

Weekend for Men by Burberry

smells like wild grass on the lawn or the garden or the fields, but that is where it belongs. On the body it jusy makes me feel sick. Its sharp and vile vile vile

XS Extrême pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

after the majority good reviews here i bought this blind but it turned out to be a mistake. This is a loud, sharp-smelling, and dated offering that instantly overpowers you. Therefore i could not wait for the dry down and quickly tried to wash it off - unsuccessfully. Personally, there is nothing inviting about this for me, but its hard to say how it might come across if i smelled it on someone else. All in all a waste of my money. My dad might love it though - that classic loud, brash, 'real man' image lol.

12 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 26 November, 2009)

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

whoa whoa, stop it, please stop! This is tremendously vile, vulgar and tenaciously difficult to wash off unfortunately. 1 spray on the wrist produced an overwhelming feeling of nausea, simply not the sort of thing you spend hard earned money on a cologne for.

12 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th December, 2009)

Eternity Summer for Men 2007 by Calvin Klein

ok on third time consideration ive changed my mind about this one: i like it!. I find it lemony- melony and a nice fresh warm scent especially good for the colder seasons which is ironic considering its the summer version - i guess it reminds me of summer which i love. Good staying power too, just dont overspray.

12 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 26 November, 2009)

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Incanto pour Homme Essential by Salvatore Ferragamo

I kind of like it. Sweet it is, somewhat leomny, light. Spring/summer fragrance.

PorkFat's avatar

Wood & Spices by Montale

No wood. Hardly any spice. It's the TJ Maxx cheapo Dunhill Desire Blue in a different bottle and marked up 400%. What happened Montale?

MJW77's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

An oddly fantastic powerful fragrance! Yes, the opening notes are pretty unique but don't be put off by the negative reviews here. Just try it for yourself and give it time to settle - you will be rewarded!

tearoad's avatar

JHL by Aramis

JHL: JHL lives in my FRAGRANCES I'VE WORN AND LIVED TO REGRET file. When JHL was introduced in 1982, my mother and I were in Sak's—and she bought it for me. As a gesture, it was lovely—as a scent, it was horrendous, though I persisted in wearing it, primarily because my mother chose it for me. I kept trying to tell myself that I enjoyed its heavy, cloying, clingy qualities—until one morning a student of mine where I was teaching prep school came into my classroom, sniffed the air with a sneer and queried, "Is that you?" Not after that, it wasn't.

12 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 June, 2009)

dw1243's avatar

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

The stores reek of it and the bottle is one reason your girlfriend might suspect you're gay, not a bad smell just put out into the market rather poorly.Hopefully Hollister and all the like stores will learn that cologne is not made to douse the racks with

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Love this fragrance, refreshing clean and sophisticated. I often wear it to pick myself up, but as a cologne, the longevity is not great.

Can ANYONE recommend a similar fragrance that lasts all day?

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I think I probably wore this every day for 10 years. I love it. Fresh and clean. Also, really good value for money (compared to my now every day fragrances, AdP and AdG).

Only gripe about it is that it is really popular, and I think perhaps too youthful sometimes.

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

This is probably still a youth fragrance in my mind. Used to wear it all the way through university and though it made me irresistible to women...

I still like it though and would wear it in the summer/beach i think.

Jhutton's avatar

Aqua Velva Ice Blue by Williams

This is a great aftershave. It does the job for which it was made, which I can't say for many aftershave versions of expensive fragrances.

Somewhere in my apartment building is a guy who used to trail this stuff in the halls. I didn't know what it was at the time, but every time I ran into it, I thought it was so badass. Then I picked up a bottle of Aqua Velva and was delighted.I think the guy is a furnace technician or something.

But it works on anyone, not just workers in overalls. It's got a solid balance between its leathery musky and labdanum notes and barbershop astringent/powdery scents. This stuff feels damned good after a shave. Expensive ones seem to lack this basic function, and are little more than cologne. Not this.

Younger guys need to stop seeing Aqua Velva as a joke, and connoisseurs need to ignore the price. This is a classic scent that should never fall out of style.

Leo the Zen's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

Very good fragrance. I cannot compare it to anything. I received it as a birthday gift and it hit me right on the spot. I am not a big fan of Ralph Lauren's colognes, though I appreciate their own value and presence. Could it be the Cuban mahogany? Since I am Cuban and having had my bedroom furniture made out of very old Cuban Mahogany, maybe that smell strikes a cord and brings me back to my infancy? I don't know, but it is a very manly woody aroma with a soft flower and fruit accord that makes me feel happy and youthful. I was needing a young scent that was not citric, and just anytime pleasant, and this fits the bill.

12 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 December, 2010)

Joe_Frances's avatar

Vetiver Dance by Tauer

A pretty nice vetiver fragrance that is on the light side of the scale of rich, earthy vetivers. I like this well enough, but not sure it stands out in the crowded field of vetivers as something extraordinary or "must have". There is no special seduction here, unless you are easily seduced by vetivers. The Villoresi is far more complex and intriguing; the FMalle drier and more sophisticated; and the Floris far more strangely radical yet conventional and wholly enigmatic. The Tauer is nice enough, but not enough for me, sorry to say. Enough said.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Ivy League by Domenico Caraceni

A very green and somewhat synthetic fragrance, Ivy League is a touch disappointing after trying and buying the flagship giant Domenico Caraceni 1913. One might think of freshly mowed grass and some light mixed field florals with this and be somewhat content. The only problem is that it smells like a DuPont illusion of a fresh fragrance. The old motto, "Better living through chemistry" comes to mind. For a similar but altogether more natural and convincing take on the same subject look for Profumum's Victrix, which is twice the price and probably worth it. As it is, this is not an ordinary fragrance. Think clean and green, and you're pretty much there-- but is that really associated with anything Ivy League?

marczilla's avatar

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

If you wanna wear smw/hamptons for half the price pick this up. It's identical to my nose. Maybe a tiny bit harsher than the other two at open but the tire/current/calone accord is a bit rough anyway. P.s. I like smw/hamptons. I wore a sample of this today and all my friends who know i wear smw in the summer remarked on me breaking it out for the summer. Longevity is as good as smw bit better than hamptons. It has all the same benefits/drawbacks remains really fresh and currenty with a bit of a sharp edge. Much like smw though it can get a bit tiring with so little movement or development.
    m
    Gave it a neutral. It gets a - for the blatant plagiarism but a plus for being a cheap option for the same smell.

Naitch's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

This is definately what I would call a "gentleman's fragrance". Not as in old, but in mature, sophisticated and wordly. I'm ashamed to say that when I first tried this, I didn't like it due to the opening blast and probably because I had just smelled 10 other colognes. Recently when I was looking to add another cologne I thought of the other reviews I read here (btw one of the very few colognes to have only 2 negative comments) and decided to sample it again. This time it smelled much better to me. After making the mistake of choosing Fuel For Life instead, I immediately took that back and grabbed this.

The lavender note in this one is far more toned down than FFL, intelligently blended with vetiver & vanilla for a soft but masculine scent. Don't be fooled though, this is very strong and long lasting. 4 or 5 sprays is the max you should ever apply. Even when wearing out in the heat & humidity it perseveres. This is the third Chanel fragrance I've owned and each one has been excellent. You can't go wrong with masters of fine fragrance. I echo the comments of others that this is one that needs no hype or ad campaigns, those in the know will own it.

Naitch's avatar

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

This is one of those dangerous colognes that smell great on a card for a few minutes but when you wear it, it's another story. It has a "sickening sweetness" that is a bit off putting and has you wondering if you are offending anyone nearby. I normally love lavender but it is too potent here along with the anise. The rasberry just puts it way over the top. After trying it for one day back it went (exchanged for the much more mature Pour Monsieur). This is truly for someone in their early twenties who goes clubbing very weekend.

I give it 3 stars because the longevity is excellent (way over 8 to 10 hours). It would be tolerable if toned down some.

plumeria's avatar

Artemisia by Penhaligon's

This smells a lot like Cashmere Mist. I owned and finished a bottle of CM, and every once in a while I long to have another bottle. I've recently finished a sample of Artemisia, and found it so similar, but more refined than CM. CM sometimes became cloying on me, and I think that would not happen with Artemisia. I do like Artemisia and would probably wear it frequently. But Artemisia is more expensive, and I haven't decided if it's worth it to me. I do like Artemisia's bottle better.

Quarry's avatar

Rue Royale by Hove Parfumeur

If you're relatively new to Basenotes, you may not have caught wind of two of the most wonderful perfume sources in the U.S.: Hové Parfumeur <hoveparfumeur.com> and Bourbon French Perfume <neworleansperfume.com>. Cannot urge you strongly enough to visit these shops in the French Quarter if you ever get to New Orleans. Alternatively, do yourself the kindness of ordering samples.

Frustrating though it may be, notes are not published for Hove's lineup. Their compositions are guarded better than Seinfeld's Soup Nazi's recipe for mulagatani soup. At times I've ventured to suggest Rue Royale may contain vetiver (one of Hove's famous ingredients) and something floral (rose?). My latest mystery ingredient reckoning is mineral oil, because both RR and Hove's Camille, have reminded me somewhat of baby oil. The promotional literature teases with this text: "A hint of musk pervades this basically dry and light fragrance, selected most often by fair brunettes who wish a quiet elegance."

All mystery aside, I can declare the fragrance to be Old World in style, soft but distinct, and a sincere pleasure to wear.

TaoLady's avatar

Fig, Almond and Cassis by Tesco

I'm with THOSE girls. A fellow BNer put me onto this and - having tried both - I PREFER it to the JM version, since it's bloomier and the almond rounds it out nicely. RULLY figgy and long lasting - try layering it with the body lotion and you'll be in fig heaven all day long!

TaoLady's avatar

Fig & Cherry by Berkeley Square

What a nice surprise!! A dear BNer who knows I love figs sent me this and my reaction on reading the name was "Eeeuuuuw"....NOT a likely combo. First impression when the alcohol wears off is dewy figs and not-too-sweet cherry cough drops with a hint of cedar underneath. On me it quickly quiets down and purrs along for a couple of hours and then needs a re-app. Like Chaoskitty I wish it came in a stronger more enduring formulation.