Fragrance Reviews from June 2009

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Chrome Legend by Azzaro

This flanker really let me down. The fragrance is just about sour orange. But It's not like Terre d'Hermes or even Moschino Friends. Its sourness just doesn't work. I put it on my skin on a hot sunday morning and It suffocated me. Well, It's strange, because It's supposed to be a refreshing fragrance.
    Looks like It was made to be as generic as possible.
    In my opinion, the worst azzaro's release ever.

the_good_life's avatar

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A superfluous, uninspired fragrance that cannot hold an incense stick to masterpieces such as Villoresi's Incensi, the quirky Messe de Minuit or even the the better ones of the CdG incense series. The name certainly raises false expectations, as this is a light, floral, white musky and heavily synthetic-smelling incense obviously worn exclusively by the pink-robed Holy Order of the Fluffymonks and Giddynuns.

the_good_life's avatar

Costume National 21 by Costume National

It's totally synthetic and I hate it. Consider this entirely personal, but I'm 100% finished with this style of early 21st century perfumery. 21 resurrects key notes of Scent Intense and blows them up into a more projecting variant with a kilo of woody-anisic fuzzy cashmeran, iso-e-super and vanillin orientalness which is Disneyland cardboard to the depth and artistry of a Shalimar. Professionally engineered olfactory elevator music of this kind leaves me ice cold these days. Will be forgotten by 2010.

tigrushka's avatar

Finland Finland

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

Obviously here is a scent that behaves very differently on different people's skins. I belong too the group that gets fresh water, flowers floating in it, sweet milkiness, a touch of seaweed... now that doesn't sound _that_ horrible, does it? ;)

I find this scent very relaxing and dreamy, it makes me visualize floating flowers, white and pink, streaming and cascading water, mermaids with flowers in their hair...

sucrose's avatar

Encens Chembur by Byredo

This is a lovely labdanum-based scent. In fact at first I found it too close to straight labdanum absolute, but after wearing it more I appreciated the citrus and other incense notes. I love that it feels very warm, but bright and cheerful at the same time. Such a nice antidote to heavy, brooding incense scents. I could see how incense lovers would find this too thin, but I appreciate its wearability. I found myself reaching for it more this winter than any other incense, and I'm guessing it works well in warm weather too.

Heartwood's avatar

Secret Obsession by Calvin Klein

This is very, very weak on my skin. I've worn it several times and I find it difficult to review because I've now pumped six sprays on my forearm and elbow, and I can barely pick up a thing. Faint sandalwood, spice, amber, and maybe some fruit. A fairly dry scent overall. It does have some projection, oddly enough. I've encountered weird scents before that you can catch whiff of in the air around you, but when you put nose to skin they seem to run and hide. I do get a little similarity to Feminite du Bois, but FdB is much boozier and fruiter (like plum wine with spices), and much more potent. Too bad I have to pass on this one because I love the bottle.

HORACIO GONZÁLEZ's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

THE OTHER DAY JUST MET A FRIEND OF MINE AND ASKES HIM WHAT WAS THAT UNIQUE FRAG WAS USING?
    THIS IS MY CONCLUSION, I ONLY SAY THIS:
    IT'S ONLY APHRODISIQUE !!!!! MY GOD....

germanomio's avatar

France France

Mitsouko Fleur de Lotus by Guerlain

a wonderful variation on Mitsouko
    the original fragrance is still recognisable but softened by a floral note slightly watery
    great

germanomio's avatar

France France

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme by Guerlain

more than a simple concentrated version of the eau de toilette, this eau extreme is wonderful mix of bitterness and sweetness, with a strong cocoa note
    a gourmand woody oriental

very powerful, enormous sillage and staying power

Clemmie's avatar

Bronze Goddess Eau Fraîche Skinscent by Estée Lauder

A colleague kindly gave me a bottle of this today for no other reason than she loves me to bits. I ADORE this fragrance. It's going to be my summer scent. It's so warm, and sensual, and the guys LOVE it.

photofinish's avatar

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

Suspended somewhere between an antiseptic dental rinse and cloying low budget perfume lies the bewildering aroma of Pierre Cardin pour homme.

photofinish's avatar

Spanish Leather by Truefitt & Hill

Spicey, saddle soap topnotes seated atop a choking cloud of equine musk, that could never pass for a gentleman in polite society.

SirSlarty's avatar

L'Eau du Tailleur by Maître Tailleurs

I love these L'eau d* something others. They're all the same with very subtle differences. This one is quite natural smelling of citrus and woods. Spicy and light, great summer wear for a pickmeup. Very classy and modern.

YourSound's avatar

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

This smells like a sexy, mysterious vampire that wants to bite me, not only for blood-sucking reasons! Fascinating and deep!

bk33's avatar

Story by Paul Smith

wow, a fresh scent that's manly, it reminds me of D'Issey in that aspect. It smells like a grown-up's Curve to me. However this would've been a borderline rating for the lack of longevity and projection, I'm giving it a thumbs up because I love the smell.

L'Aventurier's avatar

African Queen Pink Panther by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

AQPP starts off with a bit of tart and mouth watering mandarin, which soon burns off to reveal a combination of Buchu (which provides a strange minty/cat-pee-like note) and Karo Karounde (a flower that smells a bit like flowery leather, but also smells a bit of feet). I’m sure there are other supporting notes, although my nose isn’t well trained enough to isolate them. Overall, AQPP smells like minty, citrusy human skin, glistening with sweat.

AQPP is the type of fragrance that is teetering on a thin line between fantastic and off-putting. I don't particularly want to wear it outside the house, but it's really an interesting fragrance, and quite unique. I definitely suggest giving this a sniff if you want something animalic and exotic, but not particularly dirty.

8.5/10

17th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th July, 2010)

tanto's avatar

Artisan by John Varvatos

I just tested this at Macy's today and also bought a bottle. It opens up with a real pleasing aroma of orange blossoms. I like it because it is a real "clean" smelling fragrance. You can really smell the mixture of different citrus fruits i.e., tangelo's, mandarins, etc and even some jasmine. If you like a nice clean scent, this is for you. One of the nicest things about this is that it does not smell of cotton candy or tobacco or leather. It does not conform to the trends of the present day frags. I like it !!

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

Starwalker by Montblanc

Its very much like Versace Man Eau Fraiche at the begening , you can easily confuse them ...but Mont blanc dries down to a HERBAL smell IMO that i dont really like ..... it doesnt worth the money for me .....

andyman32's avatar

Pure Vetiver by Azzaro

This isn't great. The top notes are a wet vetiver and some kind of obscure floral bouquet. The dry-down (5 min in) smells like an essence of stale gingerbread cookies, dried mosses and earth. It's rather pungent, if not altogether bad. Of course you don't get a very high-quality, natural vetiver in this price range, but that's not much of a surprise. This is still just a bit on the 'acrid' side to justify a neutral. It's DEFINITELY not the worst fragrance I've smelled.

andyman32's avatar

Sliver Aoud by Montale

This is one of the less impressive Montale fragrances I've tried so far. YSL Pour Homme + a dash of oud. Lemon, sage, and a kind of sharp generic floral dry down that comes out after 60-90 minutes, leaving no hint of oud. The other Montale ouds do leave a potent floral dry-down after the oud is gone (1-2 hrs typically); what's left of this one is potent but isn't all that great. YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration really does most of this work (and I'm not very fond of YSL either... so there's that.)

It's not bad but certainly not great, and certainly not worth the sticker price. :(

Keep It Fluffy by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

A simple, sickly, nothing. Not for me.

B Scent by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

Lapsang souchong tea and antiseptic cream. Hit by this first vile assault, I want to scrub the offensive mix away. But wait.. before I can, it's transformed into mouldy orange peel with an edge of forty year old talcum powder. There's something almost pleasant about this latter stage - but not pleasant enough for me not to give this mix a thumbs down.

Cocktail by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

An aggressive opener of Germolene and B Never too Busy fave - jasmine. Settles to just Germolene, and the Germolene never gets any weaker. Just awful.

1000 Kisses Deep by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

On opening the little bottle I briefly got a whiff of something a bit like 4711. I applied some to my wrist and got a thin sort of lemon smell. Very quickly a strange plasticy or burnt note emerged. Just as I was thinking that this is just another B Never too Busy clunky, clumsy mix, it matured into something very interesting - something sweet, beautiful, delicate and haunting. It made me think of peat fires and of my Granny and Grandad who were married for a very long time (looks like the perfumer's aim worked then, looking at the site). Ivy plants also came to mind for some reason (?). Once again, that B Never too Busy staple, jasmine, made a late appearance. Overall, I'd summarise this as an interesting and unique scent, just not one that I would want ON me. (Sorry, can't do italics here!). I'm wavering between neutral and thumbs down, OK I think it has a bit more sophistication than some of the other scents from B so neutral it is.

urgetopurge's avatar

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

What it smells like:
    When I first sprayed this on, I thought to myself "where have I smelled this before"? After a few hours of testing my whole wardrobe, the answer hit me. SL Ambre Sultan smells very similar to Tauer's L'air du Desert Marocain in the sense of dry woods. They have very similar middle notes and drydown. But the difference lies in the opening. Ambre Sultan is much sharper in the beginning with its ambre while LADDM is softer with its sandy opening.

Once you spray on Ambre Sultan you immediately know its of high quality and can be worn year round although preferably in the fall and winter since it may seem cloying in the summer.

Andyjreid's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Knize Ten by Knize

You wake up in the morning, you have a shower and get dressed. You go to your fragrances and say "What shall I wear?" You choose Knize Ten.

For the rest of the day, everywhere you go, you will be turning heads.

A lot of people will be curious about what they are smelling, others will turn in disgust.

You won't care though because you're wearing Knize Ten

Andyjreid's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

One of the negative reviews here said "this smells like barbasol". My point is, what's wrong with that? This is meant to be a masculine scent and it is. It does smell like barbasol and it does smell like an old fashioned barber shop but that's the thing which Rive Gauche does best.

Apart from being taken aback that this comes in an aluminium container and not a bottle, I can't fault it.

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

I tried this with very little expectations and was blown away. All of the notes work so seemlessly together. I'm amazed that a scent that costs so little could be so much better than most of the niche scents I've tried in the last six months. Unreal sillage and longevity. Easy on the application if wearing to the office. You'll still smell it at the end of the day. Best value for the money, period.

Comme des Garçons Parfum by Comme des Garçons

A wet spice bowl locked in a medicine bag. Really, not that dramatic after the fragrances that have been released since this one came out. It has average sillage and longevity. Not bad, but nothing special.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

A huge lemony, sharp spiced opening. The first few times I tried this it was hard to appreciate, but soon it all clicked. A simple vetiver, spice and citrus scent where simplicity is obviously the goal. Great for warm weather. Also, a must try for those interested in the history of men's fragrance. Blows away the warm weather aquatics of today.