Fragrance Reviews from June 2009

splashit's avatar

Dunhill Black by Dunhill

Oh Dunhill Dunhill Dunhill ..... What have you become? The quality days of Edition are long gone and that past master is becoming a memory. This modern junk annoys. Synthetic pap. Why do your bottles not have the name of the fragrance on them? Isit because even the bottle is ashamed of it ! The usual commercial stuff being churned out. London was overly sweet and fleeting ( with the rose making it overly effeminate too ) and this tries to sell on the basis of "nettle" accord. I have never gone close enough to nettles to absorb any aroma they give off and the only asociation i get is one of pain. Ah yes... pay £38 for an "unmarked" bottle of this, realise it is pointless and feel the nettle ( ie pain! ). Dunhill Edition 1984 issue was very clever with great sillage and longevity. As i said a past master ( from packaging to bottle to fragrance to reputation ) .

SirSlarty's avatar

90210 Energy for Men by Beverly Hills 90210

I wore this on a dreary day, hoping the Energy moniker would give me a pick me up. Guess not. There is no vibrantcy or energy whatsoever. Just a dull sandalwood note.

I will quote John Cleese from Monty Python to describe this scent: "Our experts describe you as an appallingly dull fellow, unimaginative, timid, lacking in initiative, spineless, easily dominated, no sense of humour, tedious company and irrepressibly drab and awful."

OlfactoryExperience's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

This is cologne contains a very sophisticated and appealing scent. Right out of the bottle, I get the smell of citrus, some spices, and that Bvlgari signature of tea (in this case Darjeeling Tea). The citrus in this is really well done and it is accented by the spice and tea. Though the citrus dominates the top, it is a luscious, lemony citrus beginning. This aroma then transitions to a spicy, woodier aroma, yet the smell of tea is still present. Finally, the scent finishes with a delicate smell of papyrus, amber and musk, but my my nose keenly detects papyrus, musk, light citrus, and a little spice. Thiswoody oriental is enjoyable but all together too light. Even if sprayed generously, which I do not recommend, this fragrance still lingers very close to the skin, and even still it does not make alot of noise. This is perfect for instances when one does not want to cause too much trouble, but inappropriate for drawing attention. Bvlgari is the master of creating discrete fragrances; unfortunately, few people appreciate his style. BPH Soir lasts well on my skin, surviving approx. 6-7 hrs.

MFJ's avatar

Happy by Clinique

This smells weirdly of powdered cosmetics. However I find the synthetic qualities quite appealing. A definite floral-based scent. One of the few plastic-smelling fragrances that I enjoy. I find the citrus notes very weak and hardly detectable.

Landrik's avatar

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Nah! this one is too chemical for my liking...seems to give me headache with just a small spray on the back of my wrist...so disappointed...

Tiffany by Tiffany

I purchased this because I had worn it and liked it in the past, and I heard that it was going to be out of production soon. The opening is much more ORANGE than I remembered; the drydown is a pretty floral which doesn't last on my skin. This is not the scent that I remember from the 80's. That scent was long lasting and had a metal note which I really liked. And that scent was all about the florals, not all about the orange. OK, but disappointing.

Trussardi by Trussardi

Thanks, again, Basenotes. On the recommendation of many in one of the forums, I purchased this on Ebay at a remarkable price (5.99). This is a true leather chypre that I can live with. It has attitude, but unlike Bandit, it is not rude. I think that the lovely florals tone down the leather so that I can wear it, not simply appreciate it. It's not often that I'm into leather, but when I am, this one does the trick!

Mandragore by Annick Goutal

I tried this in a little shop and I remember smelling patchouli, but after a couple of tries at home, I get lemon...pepper...mandrake (I think). The good news is that the edp actually stays with me for quite some time. Most of the other Goutals are gone in a flash. The bad news is that I am not crazy about this. It should be refreshing (abrasive?) for summer.

dacerace's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Well to me it smells like Joop Go! Summer or slightly like Joop About Adam.....which is a disappointment because although I like Joop Go Summer/about Adam,I obviously don't want a similar scent that costs quite a bit more.In fact the Joop smells stronger...and slightly nicer.It is not a bad scent...but unless its in a sale,get the Joop.It has to be neutral because it isn't bad.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Fleur Blanche by Ajne

I love this soliflore enough to write about it.It is a true to life gardenia bloom. Milky petals, a little bit of honey and pollen . Moderate sillage . I love that is 100 % natural and the creator is passionate about her work.

andy85's avatar

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

three words. this smell horrible....

rinosaur's avatar

Gucci pour Homme (original) by Gucci

If this came out now, I wouldn't really take much notice, but for the 1976-1989 era, this is definately good stuff. Woody and distinctly masculine. Seems to be the epitome of a man's fragrance, even more than Chanel PM. Bottles are quite expensive now but this is a must for a collector, its a legend.

Ruqayya33's avatar

Harajuku Lovers - G by Gwen Stefani

This reminds me a lot of suntan lotion; lots of powdery coconut and fruit. IMHO, this is probably a cute scent for a tween and or teen, but not for any adults. Lasting power is not that great. On me, this EDT lasts only 4 hours. (If you still want this scent, I suggest you look for a much more cost-effective, although less dolly cute, tester bottle, online.) I'll pass!

Ruqayya33's avatar

Harajuku Lovers - Baby by Gwen Stefani

This is a very soft powdery floral and my favorite of the 5 Harajuku Lovers scents. Very refreshing without any (heavy) fruity/citrus and green notes; a great summer's day scent. Yes, it does smell a little like baby powder, after the dry down.... but IMHO, it's not too baby-sweet. My only complaint is the lack of a serious lasting power of this EDT. On me, this lasts about 4 hours. (I'd prefer my best EDTs to last more like 6-8.) Maybe, they'll eventually put out a longer lasting EDP version?!

Luckily, I found a reasonably priced tester bottle, on Ebay and was able to transfer some of the juice into a purse atomizer, for easy re-application. (While the tester bottle is not as cute as the little dolly retail bottles, it's still a much better buy; $25 for 0.5oz or $48 for 1oz retail compared to my 3.4oz tester bottle at $32, including shipping. Hello!!!!!!)

Ranger's avatar

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

This is not bad at all. As mentioned by nearly everyone, the ginger really stands out making this a good summer scent, with a little tobacco, tea and woods in the background. The thing is, Carre d'as by Patricia Nicolai is better and for a lot less money. Try them both before buying.

Fleurs de Rocaille by Caron

This perfume belongs in 1934, Grandma in a bottle. Musty smelling

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

My goodness, this is probably the worst smell ever. My husband walked into the room after I had sprayed it and asked what that awful smell was. Can't see how anyone could wear this.

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

Bought this based on reviews and so wanted to like it, but I do not. Loved the opening notes but drydown smelled like locker room. Maybe a bad batch.

Sporenburg's avatar

Spain Spain

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Its official name should be changed to The Much Maligned Noir. The French lesbians, the phallic ads (“La douce violence d’un parfum d’homme”), the bottle that looks like your average shampoo, the silly name, the gateway scent of 80s youth. Actually I quite understand why some don’t like it anymore; I won’t wear Fahrenheit or Cool Water because I wore them as a teenager (although I don’t disown them.) But…I never wore Drakkar Noir, so without the weight of memories it’s basically a new fragrance. And it is of course a pivotal scent and (together with the beautiful Azzaro and Paco Rabanne PH) a baseline with which other scents of the 70s and 80s are measured.

It must have been very popular because it does indeed produce flashes of the eighties although I immediately smell it as a collection of (loud mouthed) rip-offs that Drakkar Noir has set in motion. The most flattering I know of, as some have commented before, Gucci Nobile (on paper a more unflattering example: one of the Axe’s at the end of the same decade.) But what I do find surprising is the fact that, contrary to its fame as 80’s powerhouse, Drakkar Noir is a quiet scent, probably the reason it got over applied by plebeian and youthful fools. “Soft violence” does indeed cover it as Drakkar Noir reminds me sometimes of an introverted, sweeter cousin of Quorum (from the same year.) When used correctly it possesses beautiful whispering sillage and after some use I have noticed that its longevity is longer than expected. So from the outside something of a prole but inside hides the soul of a fine gentleman.

18 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 September, 2009)

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Reading about this fragrance made me super excited!
    Intellectually I got crazy, as I had to try and test this fragrance, and discover all the hidden notes.

Until I smelled it... I got dizzy.

After reading up some more, I thought, mm maybe I applied too much, so I went with lighter application and tried not to directly smell the fragrance, but just try and catch some whiffs.

I enjoy the base, which I like alot, but the top notes really throw me back and instantly make me nauseous sadly.

I really wanted to love this, but unfortunately my heart says no. I'm giving this a neutral rating because it's not for me, but I like the base and appreciate the hard work that went in to creating it.

I will keep it around however for further testing perhaps once every 6 months or so.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Not bad, it's popular for a reason, I even wore a bottle of it before really getting into fragrances. Compliment getter.

Although after having more experience with other fragrances, I'm not planning on buying a new bottle. It's over-exposed, a bit boring (could use some more drama) and I feel it's missing some fullness and smells a bit empty. Like a U-curve if that makes some sense.

Thumbs up because it's an appealing scent, and I initally like(d) the way it smells, although I won't wear it anymore.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I like the spicy opening which can be off putting to people who are used to "clean" aquatic scents (but I'm letting them smell all of my fragrances to educate them!)

After the spices go away, which takes pretty long, the most beautiful amber smell comes out. When I smell my chest, I still smell the spices but that's because the fragrance has been caught in the chest hair. Nice to experiment, for instance spray your wrist on one arm, and your forearm on the other arm. I try to avoid this as I don't get uniform development which I like, although it's a bit hard to avoid with my chest hair.

By the way, the amber smell really warm and I really like that how something can be slightly offputting to some (spicy opening) can be so appealing to the same people just some hours later (amber drydown)

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

I don't own a bottle any more, but I like the smell of this fragrance, which has been described enough by the previous reviewers.

Don't be put off by people who'll tell you it's an "old-man" fragrance, Wear what you like and enjoy it! Quality scent

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Terre d'Hermes remembers me of conifers and sand! That's right, conifers!

When I was little we used to play outside all day long and had a pretty big backyard with conifers lined up.

We used to jump through them and play inbetween them, right in the dirt, getting messy.

Fast forward 10 years later, one spritz of TdH and I INSTANTLY felt like I was in the dirt between our conifers (which we no longer have due to moving).
    This is one of the things I like about fragrances, transporting you to a place in your head.

Furthermore, yes I can smell the orange and I kind of get what's being described as minerals. Love this fragrance and enjoy this as a nice clean fresh scent that isn't so generic as alot of other "fresh" scents.

Thumbs up for Jean-Claude Ellena

Susanne's avatar

Malachite by Banana Republic

No top note no middle note and no bottom I can smell.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

Too much sweetness in this it is sickening. I wish i could like it more but I just don't. My husband like it on me but smelling all rosy and flowery, I know that I'm not being myself.

Having said so, it happens to smell really nice on a friend that I know.

Perhaps it is one of those fragrance that does weird thing to it's wearer's nose, but work pleasantly on others.

212 by Carolina Herrera

One thing that I notice is that the longevity is amazing. It's fresh, floral smelling but it's not too sweet but still feminine. I love it and wear it to work and get compliments from colleagues. Great scent for both work and play. Not so much for formal events though, but good enough for daily office wear and a day out at the mall or barbecue with friends.

Chloé Innocence by Chloé

I love it. It smells soft, flowery , fresh and feminine. One of the fragrance that blended really well with my body chemistry.

Amarige D'Amour by Givenchy

I have a miniature of this and the bottle is oohhh so lovely and cute, especially in that size. But the content is rather too sweet smelling to my liking. I couldn't help feeling feminine and romantic with the floral note, but this ain't me. Being in this part of the world where it's hot and humid, I prefer something fresher. I'd wear this on occasional basis only, on the day when I feel like I need to make a seductive, feminine impression.

FCUK Her by French Connection

It's light, flowery, and refresehing. Not offensive at all but fades off rather quickly. Charming scent!