Fragrance Reviews from June 2009

Attraction by Lancôme

I am not sure about everyone's else, but the scent reminded me of tobacco. It's a bit woody to my nose anyway, but I really love it. It blends pleasingly with my body chemistry, I couldn't help felling fresh and sexy at the same time. Definitely would come back for another bottle.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc by Bulgari

I wear this on a day off at home but only occasionally to office. A great scent for relaxing and chilling out at home. Fresh and clean but not typical out of shower smelling. Distinctive but pleasant altogether, my husband really likes it on me. The top note strikes me as a little alcoholic but then fades off (rather quickly) into white tea, which remains until the end of the day. It remains in my hair too and when I get change into fresh clothing, the scent still remains on my dress/shirt.

Burberry Summer for Women by Burberry

I am a preggie mom and feeling flushed and warm most of the time, this is the only scent that I could tolerate on myself. It's fresh and unoffensive, but attractive and elegant in its own way. I really like the citrus/bergamot note. It's good enough for daily office wear but especially good to wear for a picnic or flying kites with my little toddlers in a park. Great fragrance for breezy summer day out.

robbert's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Black Aoud by Montale

Incredible stuff!

Incredible longevity, I wore a shirt to work on a thursday night, (applied on chest and appearantly my shirt caught a bit), and hung the shirt on the side of my closet.
    My entire room smelled for days! When I wore the same shirt to work on saturday it even drowned the fragrance I was wearing that day.

Citrus/Oud-like opening and then magicly transforms into one of the most beautiful roses I have ever smelled, and I smell alot of real roses here in a nearby town.

Males that worry if rose is too feminine, don't worry because it's kind of dark and no way when wearing it did I ever think it was girly.

Only wore it once and got 3 compliments, although at work with a lot of people (store).

18th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 25th January, 2011)

Eau du Gantier by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Eau de Gantier is a very soft, clean, and honest fragrance—beginning with the clear and clean citrus top, continuing through the soft and delectable blackberry / verbena heart, and further on through the smooth fruit / sandalwood base. Eau de Gantier doesn’t project very much nor does it last very long, but it’s so charming as it does what it does. This is an enticing and quality fragrance—it radiates subtle elegance and translucent panache. I think of it as a unisex fragrance—and it’s an excellent one.

Chukkers by U.S. Polo Ass'n

A mossy synthetic mess without one discernible saving virtue.

likouala_man's avatar

Steam Aoud by Montale

Well, Steam Oud finally. I definitely get the 'wet' note here (an entirely new take on 'aquatic' that's for sure) and the 'steamy' wet note is just as surprising as the 'water' note in Milliseme Imperial. How do they do that? Steam Oud is milder than the powerhouses Black Aoud and Aoud Lime both of which assault the senses early on, but Steam Aoud does last a good long time on my skin. And the drydown is really subtle and mild (about 6 hours after application). There is a pleasant spiciness which I can only assume is the 'hoggar motu'. The spice is a slightly mysterious and quite exotic otherworldly note that blends nicely with the aoud during the development. Strangely, what all this evokes for me is the wet and steam of washing clothes and then having the damp clothes sitting around in piles! It is that particular rank and dank mustiness that is fascinating. There is a slight suggestion of mold or mildew which is intriguing but slightly offputting too. I keep going back and forth on this one, but I do like it. It is mysterious.

19th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th July, 2009)

La Nuit by Paco Rabanne

I LUV dark and dirty scents and was thrilled when a kind BNer sent me a sample of this highly touted (and DISCONTINUED???!) frag. My - um - mature skin and bod get right to the heart of matters pretty quick and the rich, body heat of this complex beauty appear in minutes on me. The leather is ambery and hints of tobacco, the roses are dark and heavy laden in a dimly lit bedroom smelling of S-E-X....

Sigh.

Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I'll say it again...the vagaries of body chemistry. I adore fruity frags and am likewise a fan of the right kind of musk and - sadly - on my bod this smells plastic-y and slightly rancid. Ditto for the EXTREME version...I can never predict what LAP 'fumes are going to do on me...this is one that just doesn't work.

Waaaah!

Oliban by Keiko Mecheri

Oooooo...luvvin' this incensed rose with its hint a honey, fresh cured tobacco and glove leather. On me MUCH warmer and less Cathedral than Avignon...am pining for a full bottle.

Agent Zero's avatar

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

The best pure citrus scent I have ever smelled. Period. I'm a fan of every single one of those notes listed in the pyramid (though if there's patchouli, I'm having a difficult time smelling it).

As for the longevity thing? I prefer to think of it's fleetingness as almost a good thing. I'm a college student and I need something to spray on and make me smell good in the morning when I go to class. I can milk about 3 hours out of this, which is enough to get me through morning classes. Then I go home, change into the clothes I'm gonna wear for the rest of the day and a longer lasting scent. In this instance, having it last a short time is actually good. It's all in how you perceive things.

Plus it's pretty damn cheap, so you could actually afford to shower in it if you so chose.

koki2's avatar

Calandre by Paco Rabanne

I've been wearing Calandre almost non-stop since it was released in the '60s. Never smelled anything like it, never smelled anyone else wearing it. Even after collecting a large and wide-ranging perfume wardrobe it is still my signature scent and will always be my favorite.

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

nothing really shocking or outrageous. nice, rubbery, earthy vetiver. high quality, unique, not very exciting though, stays very close to the skin. stay at home with a book type-a-frag. it would be a bit boring for a 'hot night out'. kisses, m

Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi

incomparable.

irritating, sharp, fresh, sour, unpleasant, unique, cloying, crazy, citrusy, soft, powdery...

a must have.

19th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th July, 2009)

Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi

Perfect. Creme de la creme. One of the best frags on the market. The best dry-down ever. Not very long lasting though. One just can't have it all.

Alamut by Lorenzo Villoresi

Amazing, no doubt about that, but it left me pondering, 'is this a personal fragrance, a home fragrance, or maybe it's some kind of an odd friendly bug repellent?'

Amazing, but neutral rating 'cause it makes me feel weird when I wear it in public places. I get a lot of, 'mmm - you use some kind of insence sticks, right?'

HDS1963's avatar

Mister by Jasper Conran

The official notes for this are: pelargonium, basil, Artemisia, tonka, patchouli, timber, musk and tobacco. When I first encountered Mister by Jasper Conran I didn't like it. But there was something about it that fascinated me and kept pulling me back. It is now a FB purchase and on regular rotation with me.

I absolutely love it actually. It's very male and has an amazing and unusual drydown which makes for compulsive sniffing. It has a boozy sweet-but-bitter opening which I really like, which smooths out with a vaguely floral yet still boozy drydown rich in patchouli and tobacco. It also has fantastic longevity and projection. Not many other fragrances smell like this. Considering the prices you can buy this for in many High St and discount retailers, it represents a bargain if you ask me for a really great fragrance which if you blind tested it you would swear was from a more prestigious niche house.

I don't get the disinfectant accord someone else noted.

I think it smells distinctive, elegant and classy. Recommended.

LouLou by Cacharel

Like the most other Cacharel perfumes, LouLou too has that distinctive, sharp and gradually more and more overpowering note (which I can not quite identify, woody maybe) that gives me an instant headache. Thus, despite I liked this perfume I couldn't really wear it and eventually give it off.

Obsession by Calvin Klein

A heady, raw, sharp, fruity-sweet oriental, headache inducing with a strong sillage. This one does not suit my taste.

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

Aromatics Elixir is "the" perfume, and is far beyond from many ordinary market frags. It is a "love it or hate it" fragrance which does not suit everyone. Reading other reviews, I felt lucky to be from the ones who has the needed chemistry to pull it off. Every time I wear this I get compliments.

AE does not smell green or floral to me at all. What I smell is pure quality incense (a mix of chamomile, frankincense and myrrh, with that distinctive note of oak moss) which is very soothing, comforting and enveloping like a warm blanket.

As AE is very concentrated; use it sparingly or it is guaranteed to give you -and people around you- a headache regardless of how much you love it. Also always keep it in a cool and dark place as -due to its concentrated composition- it tends to go bad more quickly than mostly synthetic, lighter frags with a higher alcohol+water content instead the natural essential oils.

Beautiful Love by Estée Lauder

This perfume made me literally sick. After 10 hours -yeah I am quite patient- I can't wait to step into the shower right now. It smells like a synthetic bouquet of many different white flowers randomly/carelessly mixed, and it does not have a distinguishing quality at all, -spare a nostalgic, sickening breeze of overly old-ladylike white florals which I associate particularly with the 1970s!-.

SirSlarty's avatar

Aigner Suede for Men by Etienne Aigner

This is very soft and sweet. It's like the smell of a new suede jacket still sitting on a rack in a very expensive department store. Soft sweet and a little bit spicy woods in the drydown.

19th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 24th July, 2009)

OlfactoryExperience's avatar

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

What I love most about this fragrance is its impressive ability to capture the essence of the sea. This scent is not your typical mediterranean, warm water, zesty, aquatic fragrance. This cologne is a northern, marine, woody, deep aquatic with a light touch of a ripe, fruity note in the top, and a brilliant bottom that lasts for up to 10hrs consistently. Not only is this fragrance more complex than your typical aquatic, but it offers greater sillage, greater longevity, and a classically masculine yet beautiful representation of the sea, literally.

However, I can also understand why this fragrance might be an acquired taste. The fragrance's uncanny similarity to the sea lends itself to being too reminiscent of less popular aromas associated with the ocean: the smell of seaweed and sea salt. This fragrance can initially smell of plastic upon application, but once given a minute or two to develop on skin, the fresh fragrance of the ocean and melon appear. I believe it is the iris that creates the seaweed smell that some people don't like. The base is masculine, fresh and woody with plenty of projection. Test it before you buy it.

19th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st August, 2009)

Redneck Perfumisto's avatar

Bois de Cédrat by Creed

This beautiful citrus scent is how I found my way back to Creed. All hype aside, Bois de Cédrat IS an extremely natural EdT, if not the most natural one in my wardrobe. Almost entirely composed of light, airy citrus, with just a hint of wood underneath, it's gentle, cool, and amazingly refreshing. I love wearing this one on hot days, but I always bring the bottle with me, because the citrus is SO light, the longevity is - in a word - terrible, and because the topnotes are just indescribably good. I enjoy wearing this one to bed at night, because it's so comforting, and also pleasant for my wife. An excellent choice for seafood dining as well.

There are other citrus scents which I prefer when I need longevity, sillage, presence, or complexity, but when I want something truly divine, this is the one.

MFJ's avatar

Gramercy Park by Bond No. 9

The minty opening is fantastic. Definitely a very "green" scent. The dry-down is very warm and slightly fizzy and reminds me of champagne. Very refreshing scent indeed. Makes a really great casual/semi-formal scent.

19th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 28th June, 2009)

dagmar's avatar

Chaos by Ava Luxe

This is a bone-dry spicy incensey scent that would be perfectly suitable for a man or woman who doesn't want any sweet amber drydown. Not sure yet whether it's better for winter or summer.

Nizzle's avatar

Bois d'Argent Cologne by Christian Dior

Do you like root beer? If so, you should try this.

Ronin's avatar

Azzaro Now Men by Azzaro

This is just so vibrant that I don't think I can get tired of it. I've worn this on a few occasions and enjoyed it every time. This is a really good one to wear during the warmer months. I prefer to spray this one on clothes since the topnotes are fantastic and I want to keep them around for as long as possible. I tried another bottle of this and the topnotes weren't nearly as vibrant as my friend's bottle.

19th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 13th August, 2009)

Ronin's avatar

Z Zegna Extreme by Ermenegildo Zegna

I'm changing this review from a neutral to a positive. My main complaint is that I just would have wanted the sillage to be stronger. I'm sure this would make for a fine summer fragrance. The fragrance itself smells wonderful.

19th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 03rd February, 2010)

Truffles's avatar

Nuit d'Orchidee by Yves Rocher

Haven't smelled this for years but loved the smell and loved the bottle. A friend had it, but before I could get some it became another that was very sadly discontinued.