Fragrance Reviews from June 2009

silvawraith2's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Long-lasting? Perhaps not on the skin, but this sublime fragrance has been in my wardrobe since .... oh dear, 1979! A versatile and quintessential classic, I keep a small bottle in my bag and I'm instantly refreshed every time I use it, which in Hong Kong's hot and humid summers is quite often indeed. The shampoo douche is still my bathing gel of choice ... all in all, this is simply a fragrance that I can't live without.

21st June, 2009

SmellyNinja's avatar

Only The Brave by Diesel

I started out thinking it was pretty good, but I've grown to dislike it. It's just all over the map and sickly sweet. Almost headache inducing. Starts off as a citrus/aquatic mixed with an accord I can only describe as "syropy", and doesn't doesn't change much after that.

21st June, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2011)

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

Lemony, fern-green and all-natural (as natural as I find CK Eternity to be synthetic). Very classic and smooth. Has kinda an old person's house vibe to it, like an attic full of bay leaf scented room freshener in a musky, dusty aura...Almost has a pine or evergreen sap/resin base, but only/just slightly...very old fashioned and beautiful.

What you might smell lke after gardening in the 1950s or rolling about in a spice garden with fresh dill, oregano and mint. A must have, or at least worth trying.

L'Eau by Diptyque

Some ambery resin and a whole lotta cinnamon with a touch of clove. Has a few other greeny herbals in there somewhere too.

If Joop is as bad as cinnmon comes, this is the polar opposite. Very Christmas, it would make an awesome room spray. Potpourri to the max, slightly more manly than Secret Melange.

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Smells like a watery, synthetic, mixed-berry Pixy Stix. It has
    some of that watermelon fron KC Reaction and some Paco Rabanne 1 Million feel to it as well. The drydown has some woodsy (ie: dark, teak) elements to it, but very little though. Like a Boss (or Bod) spray or Kool Aid, dries down to a more plasticy and rubbery smell (ie: rubbery woody). Has that Ralph Lauren signature note to it. Meh. Not bad, but so what?

Very Cool for Men by Tommy Bahama

It has a strong minty, plasticky alcohol burst outta the bottle. The alcohol subsides, but the minty / menthol vibe lingers. Like a more pungent (read: sharper) version of Jovan Body Tonic (the blue refreshing one).
    It reminded me of a Tag body spray (Midnight or After Hours).
    Shares some of the Mojito notes of the new Guerlain Homme. Still more masculine than Virgin Island Water, but smells much cheaper and not at all fruity.

Quarry's avatar

La Rose du Petit Prince by Le Petit Prince

A mildly sweet citrus is made more interesting with the subtle presence of non-kiddy floral. I say "non-kiddy" so as assure you that, although this is marketed as a fragrance for children, there is nothing especially childish about it except its playful attitude.

While I often struggle with the scent of rose, its addition here perfects the previously imperfect inaugural fragrance from this line (Le Petit Prince). Be sure to seek out La Rose du Petit Prince for girls in the pink packaging. Everything about the product is cheery: It's lavender-colored juice; it's almost-Lutensesque-bell-jar-shaped bottle adorned with white cartoon and ribbon; and the scent itself, which I find moderately long lasting. The price is very good for the quality and quantity, too.

mnaonbn's avatar

Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

I really like bergamot, and I really, really like Le Labo, so I had high hopes for this frag. Alas, the bergamot in here is barely perceptible. The perfume is very well crafted, but it's also completely common. It's predominantly a citrusy green frag with aquatic and cuminy undertones. It's just not special or worth the price.

Clay's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Voodoo Love by Bourbon French Parfums

Soft, powdery and somewhat "cool". I smell heliotrope, iris, carnation, sandalwood, moss, vetiver. Not my style, but very well done! Very baby-like.

Morgaine's avatar

Oyédo by Diptyque

An oddity, this one. Starts out very sticky-sweet orangy - like the prefab orange lemonade that has nothing to do with orange, the fruit - but in its artifice lies its charm, as well. Almost immediately an oddly "dirty" note starts underpinning the sweetness, saving the scent from diabetic coma. A bit longer in the "dirty" note reveals itself as thyme. The thyme is quite overpowering on my skin, which makes this one unique frag: I can't think of any other scent with such a pronounced and true thyme accord. On the other hand, the thyme *does* come across as foody: I keep getting cravings for barbecue marinades.

A definite thumbs up for anyone who finds classis citrus frags unexciting - though it comes with a warning label: may not please every nose.

Agnes's avatar

England England

Coco by Chanel

Beautiful, sensual, floriental amber nectar! mmmmmmm... Buy the edp....now!

SirSlarty's avatar

90210 Feel Sexy Him by Beverly Hills 90210

Whoa. A rather complex fragrance out of nowhere. Herbal, medicinal and tobacco-like patchouli (not quite headshop patchouli but it's not natural smelling patchouli and feels more like a cheap cigar) is what the fragrance gets down to. In the opening you get green and herbs. Lots of them in fact that it drowns out the patchouli base that's rather dominant in the later stages. And then you get patchouli and the end! If you like cigars and patchouli this would be a surprising fragrance for you!

serph's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

Coming from the 50's generation when Mennen and Aqua Velva wowed the ladies, I can't say anything bad about this one--I'd never knowingly smelled this before I turned 70, and, when I did, I found a clean aquatic scent with a touch of peppermint ... and the dry-down was less sweet and better than merely inoffensive. As for the mid-notes, I can't detect any, but that could be part of the aging thing.

I should add that after 60 or so, many of us lose some of our ability to sort out the subtleties of colognes/perfumes, so one must take that into consideration when reading the reviews of the older generation.

When I judge a scent, I sincerely attempt to forget about its popularity, price, and reputation among the perfumistas.

AnnaSa's avatar

Sweden Sweden

The One by Dolce & Gabbana

I really like The One, it's a warm and soft scent with good lasting power. The sweet fruit notes in the opening are not cloying, I guess they are balanced by the bergamt in a very good way. Then comes the floral heart with warm amber and vanilla in the bottom - the notes blend very well and it's hard to pick out the individual notes. I think it's a very well done designer fragrance, the only negative is probably that it's not very original, but that doesn't bother me much. Great for cold winter days.

22 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2010)

Bigsly's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This one is the antithesis of what I look for in a fragrance, so of course I can't give it a positive rating. As others have said, it's dry, austere, harsh, etc. I'd much rather not wear any fragrance than this. If you have never sampled this kind of fragrance, do not buy it "blind" because so many BNers like it. I just wonder where the thought that something like this should exist as a fragrance originated. Perhaps with a certain kind of skin chemistry this one might be acceptable, but on me it's got the "bug spray" note going in full force.

Tony T's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

reminds me of gucci. a bit lighter and more cleaner and that's about it.

OP Juice by Ocean Pacific

One of my very short list of rejects. It's a very flat, one-dimensional fragrance goes from wood to... wood. Wet, mossy wood. Maybe some toasted nuts. It's neither sweet nor fresh, nor minty, nor fruity, nor floral, nor citrusy, nor is it pleasantly earthy or mossy. It's just a sharp, sort of dirty smell. Maybe the smell of coconut flesh rotting in the sun is the best thing I could describe it as. Sillage is good for about 15 min, luckily it goes away after an hour even with a liberal application, so you're not in it for the long haul if you are unlucky enough to accidentally get some of this on your skin. The little spray tab also broke off my bottle, so there's that.

This might actually be to someone else's liking but this is one of those fragrances that projects a sharp, dry, sour smell that is simply unpleasant to me.

Présence by Montblanc

L'eau du fruit loops.

Major bummer.

22 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 26 June, 2009)

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Depending on the day, this fragrance ranges from bad to incredibly bad. I bought it blind and want to make myself like it - and I have done that successfully with some other ones. I just can't place it - I do get the cedar, the grapefruit, the fig and clove, but the accord is a kind of projectile-vomit of sour-sweet smell. There IS fresh vetiver & cedar in the drydown but you have to get past this unpleasant assault of synthetic sour that is just unforgivable. My wardrobe is fairly extensive and I have "learned to like" a good many fragrances that just didn't agree with me the first time or two I tried them on... but this one is on a very short list of irreconcilable rejects.

Individuel by Montblanc

It's synthetically sweet... and that's all. Cloying, amorphous sweetness that lasts for half an hour then goes away. Interestingly, this is precisely the same as Presence and Starwalker - two other rejects.

Starwalker by Montblanc

Mont Blanc has fallen flat on its face yet again. Out of almost 200 fragrances in my wardrobe, this is one out of no more than half a dozen rejects.

It's synthetically sweet... and that's all. Cloying, amorphous sweetness that lasts for half an hour then goes away. Interestingly, this is precisely the same condition as Presence and Individuel - two other rejects.

AnimaSola's avatar

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

I purchased AHS and wore it a couple of times, but I was never really impressed. I could not detect any salient notes or characteristics. I put it away and forgot about it. Recently, I smelled it on someone else, and I could not believe it was the same fragrance. I smelled a gorgeous citrus harmony and an elusively "alluring" rich creamy accord. It positively radiated warmth and refinement. My opinion of this beauty has definitely been upgraded.

archibald's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

One of my very few criticisms of Basenotes reviews is that there seems to be more than a few people who seem to go out of their way to pan every fragrance that features an accord they despise. Seems a little counterproductive to wage a private War on Vetiver, or Coffee or ISO E Super or whatever in the review section.

If you do like Vetiver, look no further than GV. I find the vetiver accords in both Racine and in Givenchy Vetiver reissue marginally better articulated, but GV has hands down my favorite drydown in all of perfumery, managing to actually deliver what the marketers 99% of contemporary masculines can only promise--a precise "balance of sensuality and freshness."

shinhito's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

I absolutely love this scent. It's fresh, melon note is the highlight, which warms to a delicious amber. I couldn't stop sniffing myself after the initial application. Unfortunately this joy is short lived. The scent is taken away before it can really be enjoyed. Kind of like a one night stand, but if a one night stand lasted twenty minutes.

If this scent lasted even just up to an Hour, I would raise my vote to a Positive^10. As MI stands, with the price and the fleetingness which induces heartbreak I give it Neutral to Negative.

jbro's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Awesome fragrance, love it from start to finish...people dont understand the concept of the target market..its for females..im not trying to attract males so..really it doesnt matter that much on how i like it, its all about the women, there are better creeds to my nose but to a womens this is one of the best hands down.

urfliness's avatar

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

I blindly purchased double black because I was offered a Polo Duffle bag with purchase.Along with the bag came DB deodorant and after shave so why the hell not right.Anyways I was intially unimpressed but this scent grew on me.Not for everyday use but it's still alright by me.(BTW it's pretty hard to disapoint me when it comes to frag)

22 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 26 April, 2010)

stevo30's avatar

IZOD by IZOD

I'll agree with SirSlarty on this one. For one of those "run-of-the-mill" fresh frags, this one is a cut above IMO. The cucumber and mint jump out to me, but the dry-down smells more like black licorice to me.

In spite of Izod being a lesser-known brand where I'm from, i bought this at a discount (20$ for the 100ml, great deal IMO), and have not regretted it one second.

karenb's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Cabochard by Grès

oh Cabochard.... such a let down. I had visions of deep rich leather but on me it started off as a very loud "perfumey"smell,I couldn't detect any notes as such.
    It dried down to the strongest smell of henna. Maybe the vintage formulation was far nicer. If anyone wants a full bottle of it i will post it no charge. Ah well....

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Ordinarily I would not have purchased it, but I had a $50 gift certificate so I decided that I would take a little risk and buy something I would ordinarily pass by. The necessary department store had no niches and most of the designers did not have fragrances, so basically I was limited to Chanel, Dior, and Gucci. Nothing interested me at Dior. At Gucci I asked to test the Gucci Pour Homme by Gucci. Although there was a tester prominently displayed, both SAs told me that I couldn’t try it because they have no bottles to sell… It’s one of those things that happen here that I don’t try to figure out. So Chanel and Allure Homme Édition Blanche became my option. When I tested AHEB it seemed very light and pleasant but there was something in it that set a tiny bell ringing in the back of my head, by my head was really too busy with the thought of the Chanel SA who was assisting me, so I quickly disregarded the bell and doubled my attention on the her. On paper Allure HEB opened with a citrus accord that I would describe as “Chanel”: It’s a bit fresh but reluctantly so… and it certainly isn’t Lemon Pledge or anything coarse; it’s a stylized and sophisticated citrus with a firm element of stylized and sophisticated spice notes. The spice stays in the background at first and the scent stays soft and pleasant into its spicy / woody heart with a quiet accord of pepper, ginger, cedar, and a slight touch of sandalwood. The heart holds for over an hour and the light base of tonka, vanilla, and white musk takes over and completes the movement with excellent longevity. There is nothing spectacular going on but the performance of AHEB is quietly understated and it is certainly an attractive fragrance to wear here in East Asia where fragrances are very rare and almost always understated. I bought the fragrance and the SA aforementioned received her commission, so everything turned out as it should be. Unfortunately, by the third time I wore AHEB on my skin, my reaction to it had changed. My skin had come to magnify the creamy ginger note that moves to prominence in the opening and then it stays there until the fragrance is exhausted. Soon, the ginger is about all I can smell; it broadcasts itself with a too strong sillage for my appreciation, and it hangs on forever. I know now what that bell in my head was trying to warn me had I been paying attention: “Beware: shades of Bulgari Blu Pour Homme.” Of course AHEB is much more soft and refined than BBPH, and the creamy ginger isn’t the juggernaut that the BBPH ginger is, but… still, I could do without it in either case. If it’s not on my skin, Allure Homme Édition Blanche is an original, well-made fragrance with a pleasantly soft, creamy citrus / spicy feel and with excellent longevity. But it kind of loses control when it comes in contact with my epidermis.

23 June, 2009

fudull's avatar

Albania Albania

Story by Paul Smith

This story is printed on acid-free,100% recycled paper...yeah, it's that Green.

To my nose this an alternative take along the lines of Mugler's Cologne and Bulgari PH. It has the same bright opening accord as Mugler. I think it is even brighter, it's "vetiver" is razor-sharp yet still very pleasant. In the middle notes, I detect a slight musk begin to creep in, which combined with the green opening quickly brings to mind Bulgari PH. It has neither wood, leather or vanilla in its base, which is to say it fades off to nothing, rather quickly. Despite the sub-par longevity (Mugler Cologne and Bulgari PH last ages on me) for the summer and the price one can't really complain.

23 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 02 July, 2009)