Fragrance Reviews from June 2009

purplemonkey's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

I agree with eevish_yolk; it's very polite and intellectual. It's not a pervasive scent; it's not dramatic, it does not shout. It elaborates you skin odour rather than masking it. This fragrance is long-lasting in an etheral and subtle way; it just waits there for the perfect moment to enthral whoever breathes it in.

02 June, 2009

Jiffysquidd's avatar

Eau de Givenchy by Givenchy

I owned this in the US in the late nineties, and recently got one of the last available mall bottles of the Givenchy Mythiques re-issue. I know that tastes change, memories too- but have they reformulated this, as well as changing the bottle (which was a perfect complement)? The initial hit seems harsher, the mids sweeter, and slightly more chemical than I remember. It could also just be the time and place....
    But it is still a lovely, delicate thing to spritz on a summer day before the heat sets in.

02 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 March, 2013)

iMaverick's avatar

Armani Privé Cuir Améthyste by Giorgio Armani

I found a bottle of this for insanely cheap compared to its retail value. It begins a bit jarring to me, but you instantly notice its leather notes. I can see the comparison to Daim Blond, and Mauboussin's Histoire d'Eau, but Cuir Amethyste is darker, more mysterious with a much more woodier facet. The violet is dangerously seductive, fearful and exciting at the same time. I find this scent more feminine in the beginning moving its way to more masculine nuances. Black is the perfect color for this scent.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Héritage by Guerlain

Plush, full bodied even, a fragrance worn by worldly men of good taste. This composition is smooth. I'm in love with the perfect presentation of lavender, and the drydown of tonka & vanilla. It stays sweet, yet never loses it's manliness. Two thumbs way up!

ubuandibeme's avatar

7:15 am in Bali by Kenzo

7:15 am in Bali, what a crazy name! Ah, no wonder, it's a 'travel exclusive'. This basically means it is only sold at duty free shops. Well, lucky for me my daughter went traveling and bought her perfume lovin' mama a bottle! This Kenzo is a very light edt. It wears like a body spray. Aside from that, it's a great little scent! Fruity opening, orchid floral heart and a thin vanilla drydown. Pretty much smells like a watered down Tocade ~ but less reminiscent of say, dreamsicles or childrens' medicine. 7:15 am in Bali is perfect for the beach, pool, amusement park, or anywhere else you may be sweating this summertime! I like that it's NOT LEMONY, and NOT COCONUTTY. It is breezy, light and refreshing - without smelling like a cocktail, suntan lotion, or too perfumey - it is just right!

odysseusm's avatar

Eau de Camille by Annick Goutal

This is a charming floral with a young air of innocence and yet depth. The opening is soft, green and pretty – suggesting spring flowers, honeysuckle and lily of the valley. The scent develops a soapy character that is pronounced but not challenging. The drydown has some earthy, heady aspects. This is a bit too floral and sweet for me, but it is very good scent.

odysseusm's avatar

Greyland by Montale

Wood notes: cedar, sandalwood, vetyver, kayak
    Spice notes: ginger, black pepper
    Base: Arabian leather, musk, Tibetan rock rose
    These notes are from the Montale site. I note that oud is not mentioned, and I believe it – I don’t detect any here. This is a woody scent through and through. The opening is a bit sweet, but not challenging. Lovely cedar notes emerge – they are woody and not suggestive of pencil-shavings. Pepper spices accompany the wood. And that chord maintains itself for several hours. So, while I appreciate the woody notes, I don’t think this especially distinctive in the world of cedar scents. Nothing wrong with it at all; it just doesn’t bring something new to the table.

Brielle87's avatar

France France

Variations by Carven

I have the original Variations from the 50's and it is nothing like the re-issue, are they ever though?
    So this is my take on the "original"
    It opens with a burst of fresh white flowers and aldehydes, very bright and clean. The heart notes then shine forth and are exquisite, still floral yet not as bright, somewhat richer and more lush, yet not heavy. This scent never becomes heavy nor cloying, nor does it become overly sweet. By the time the basenotes arrive you are still ensconced in a lush floral bouquet, yet you can detect a few animalic notes, a warm soft muskiness, but still no heaviness. This has to be, in my opinion, one of the greatest and most elegant warm weather fragrances ever. It is not citrusy, it is not fruity, it is not sharp and oceanic, it is just a clean, fresh, soft floral bouquet warmed slightly yet gently.

vanillavanilla's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

Tentations by Paloma Picasso

this is quite a warm and comforting fragrance. my mum used to wear it. unfortunately it is not available anymore.

SirSlarty's avatar

Blue Stratos by Parfums Bleu

I was all ready to come here and simply say "British Old Spice" for this greatstuff... only to find out that it was originally made by Shulton. I have some of the aftershave which is a liquid not a gel/balm. I prefer balms but this liquid seems to be a lotion of sorts and does not dry this skin. It smells wonderful: lemony Old Spice, a light oriental. And very "manly" as the girls say.

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

Brit Gold by Burberry

Very unisex, top notes are playing second fiddle to the great sandalwood drydown, good for layering also.

Cravache by Robert Piguet

Brylcreem, tuxedos, ocean liners come to mind --- very old school, very masculine. I usually shy away from these types of men's scents, but have to take my hat off to this lovely herbal spicy and citrusy mix. Reminds me a bit of Rive Gauche with citrus overtones. Might be slightly restrictive in terms of when to wear.

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

I am the God of hellfire and I bring you.....

Baleful images are evoked (or invoked) when worn and I can't get licking flames out of my mind. This is a heavy spicy hot fragrance with a fiery amber mix at the bottom. It's a one-off, which is now hard to find. I love it for it's boldness and other worldliness. I also thinks the fragrance itself smells great and kicks a--.

Dia Man by Amouage

Not that keen on the topnotes, but the middle and base make up for that. Very thick, lush and exotic drydown of fruit, patchouli and a dense rich amber. Worth every penny imo as you don't need to use much for all day.

Central Park by Bond No. 9

I love the verbena at the top and if you like green, this is isn't half bad. The woody and musky finish is particularly well done also. I prefer Little Italy for the summer from this House, but may succumb to CP for a change or if the summer is endless.

Peau de Pêche by Keiko Mecheri

Er -- I smell like a peach.

But it's a beautiful peach that isn't cloying, more like a citrus effect. I thought it wouldn't last but with a liberal spray it takes 8 hours easily. The drydown is amazing when the peach mixes with a very soft sandalwood. Dreamy.

Brooklyn by Bond No. 9

Bond No 9 have a reputation for plagiarism, which is not entirely unjustified, but at least that is a thought process. No thought has gone into Brooklyn or maybe just ' knock out a safe one'. It's a little bit fresh, a little bit green, a little bit woody, but a whole lot of mediocrity. I mean this could be a 'Hugo Boss' bargain box chuckout. Why would you want to spend £100, but smell like £5? Avoid like the plague is my advice.

kess's avatar

Les Elixirs Charnels - Oriental Brûlant by Guerlain

An amazing woody-vanilla oriental; the notes say it all. Thumbs up!

vintage*red's avatar

English Leather by Dana

wjlamp is sooo lucky to have discovered a vintage bottle! I used to wear this in the sixties before it was "permissible" for unisex fragrances and I loved it! There was a very rich, sexy-sweet quality about the leather note that is lacking in any of the leather fragrances that I have tried lately (although I have not tried the new Chanel). The new versions of this scent are adequate but not special. 5 stars for the old; 3 stars for the new.

andyman32's avatar

Weekend for Men by Burberry

This is a very pleasant, rich, warm fragrance. Medium sweetness. To my nose the grapefruit topnote just melts seductively into the honey and musk basenote. I also pick up a non-trivial mid/base note of honeysuckle. I don't remember this being so nice the first time I tried it but I do enjoy this quite a bit - I'd say this is a less sweet, less loud Un Jardin en Medieteranee by Hermes - this one's much more mellow and easy to wear. Not quite as flamboyant. Overall, excellent!

Background by Jil Sander

I remember this when it came out. I loved it then and I love it now. Why do all the good scents get cancelled? This is really amazing all over again for me. It must be the years in between. Crisp and yet musky, its very complex and intriguing. I was lucky enough to score 3 large tester bottles of this from a friend. Bad for him, good for me!

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

Love it love it love it! I tried this out as a recommendation from the sales lady and I must say I was impressed. I love it when I wear this, it is so perfect for a night out dining and dancing. It has amazing staying power on me. Of course this is one of my personal favorites.

Kapsule Woody by Lagerfeld

This is the more masculine of the three, crisp and refreshing and, I really like this one alone too. Try this combo: Floriental as a start and then Woody following. After 3-4 minutes I spritz just a TOUCH of Light and then a touch of Floriental again. Something about that combo really works for me, and I have gotten wonderful comments about it. Besides, this is such a fun way to play with your fragrances. I mean, who hasn't layered some of their favorites in the past? Very cool and I recommend this set highly.

Kapsule Floriental by Lagerfeld

Out of the three Kapsule scents this is by far my favorite. The idea behind these is that you layer them and mix and match. It makes a difference as to how you layer them too, as it does smell different when you switch them around. I give this scent in particular a thumbs up as it is very basic but can stand on its own. HOWEVER, as a man you need to be comfortable wearing this solo, as the drydown it tends to smell extremely feminine. Layer it with Woody say and, now you are talking. Marvelous.

Kapsule Light by Lagerfeld

I like this but, not as much as the other two. It does seem like something akin to a fresh shower gel. But lets remember that this series is meant to be layered. Therefore don't be to critical of each scent. Each one plays upon the other. This is a fun and different alternative to the usual scents out there. Give it a try.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I've changed my mind about this one. At first I loved it, particularly the incense and the way it reminds me of houses of ill repute in the middle east. But now it smells cheap and sickly. I used to love the YSL range but I'm now finding myself more and more disappointed with their fragrances. Body Kouros is OK but nothing more, just OK.

03 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 August, 2009)

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

I nearly bought some of this today because it was on special offer. I'm now glad I didn't because it's just too bland and uninspired, which is odd considering there are so many ingredients in the mix. Maybe that's the problem. Anyway, it smells too sharp and bitter for me and there are too many leaves involved here.

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

Synthetic and cheap. I felt ill just smelling this on my wrist during tests. CK fragrances are generally quite poor and to be generally avoided (with the odd exception). I imagine the combination of wearing this fragrance and then drinking alcohol, could be lethal.

AnimaSola's avatar

Déclaration by Cartier

I sprayed this on for the first time at a department store tonight, and I really regret doing so. The scent is very overbearing and cloying with a dingy-dirty feral smell. It reminds of a Tommy Bahama fragrance, but I'm not sure which one. These are the type of fragrances that I keep away from because of the putrid images that they evoke. I would definitely recommend wearing this on the wrist for a while before purchasing this disturbing concoction. Fetid stuff.

Jiffysquidd's avatar

Cacao by Aftelier

At first dab, you're eating chocolate fudge on a giant pile of orange peels- awesome! After a second, it turns to elegant sorbet- blood orange and mandarin, spreading out into warm, sweet, resiny roundness. A delightful gourmand romp! If it had high sillage and synthetic ingredients, it would be an unbearable mimicry of orange Tootsie Roll pops, which sadly probably exists and is quite expensive. Because it is a natural perfume, subtle and short-lived, it is a brief but genuine personal pleasure, which does not wear out it's delicious welcome.