Fragrance Reviews from June 2009

Amadaeus's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Lanvin L'Homme Sport by Lanvin

This is an excellent day scent.

It goes on very fresh and clean and stays well all day. Nice

HDS1963's avatar

Gold Man by Amouage

Well this one completely leaves subtlety out of the dictionary.

It's like having a flower shop drop on your head with a particularly bellicose civet doing it's business with it's glands all over you and then dousing you in musk.

It is one of the most potent fragrances I have ever encountered, a couple of generous sprayings of this could be used as a counter terrorism measure. It's not entirely unpleasant, but the drydown reminds me of a cheap musk I bought recently because it blended well with some other things.

Is it worth the money? I don't honestly think it is. It's okay, but is a long way short of being beautiful, engaging or in the least bit attractive.

derekp's avatar

360 Degrees White For Men by Perry Ellis

I finally got around to trying this one today, as I was curious to see just how similar to Le Male it actually was. The answer is very, but with some important differences in the dry down. I have one of them on each wrist as I type this. Obviously, not many will compete with the sillage of Le Male, and this one does not. That's not a bad thing in my book. Another important difference between the two is that 360 White dries down to a smoother vanilla. On my skin it omits the slightly bitter, alcoholic, almost minty vanilla of Le Male for a more pleasant one. It's almost like comparing synthetic vs real vanilla extract, making 360 the more pleasing one to my nose on my skin. That said, I still don't think I will purchase, as I work in an office where 3 or 4 wearers of Le Male have recently sprung up and this is not sufficiently different enough to set me apart.

27th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 29th June, 2009)

ortho123's avatar

Jovan Ginseng NRG by Jovan

Probably the best 90's scent for the money (with the exception of Gilette Cool Wave after shave which also has some share in the early 80's) that at least me for me remains more masculine than Jovan's White Musk (which is also a fine value).

And this stuff lasts, yet doesn't try to "ground itself" in something like coriander...

African Night by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

On paper, I smelled Star Jasmine, the kind I used to have growing outside my house in northern California. When baking in the sun, Star Jasmine has a different quality than at night. African Night's jasmine smells more of the cool scent I smell from Star Jasmine in the evening--sweet and cool, a bit less indolic than during daytime. The jasmine fades to reveal ylang ylang, and it has the typical lemon-woody on the verge of furniture polish smell that I associate with this essence. The floral combination is rather intoxicating and also gives a sense of calm. I am not sure if there is actually spice in this fragrance, but I do smell a little bit of clove. Some flower essences such as carnation give this effect. It is very pretty, and the floral accord seems to last a long time. I really love the softly spicy drydown. Overall, it smells mostly floral and is a rather soothing scent.

On my skin, I can detect the jasmine and ylang ylang quite strongly. However, unlike smelling AN on paper, I smell a gasoline note. The gasoline note is somewhat like what I found in Profumo's two African Queen fragrances (on paper), but not quite as overpowering. There is definitely an animalic tone which I didn't find to be as forward on paper. I do not feel nearly as calmed with this fragrance on my skin, probably because the gasoline note, while greatly subdued compared to African Queen, is a bit offputting. As the fragrance starts to dry, I smell the hint of spice I noticed before.

African night really comes on strong in the top notes, but settles quickly. Unfortunately, I feel like I can't even get in the door with it. For me, it is obviously better if it is not used as a personal fragrance, but rather on paper or other evaporation method in a similar application to aromatherapy. I recommend testing this, especially for jasmine lovers. It is really quite lovely!

Acqua Santa / Holy Water by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Notes: sandalwood, incense, rose

On paper, Holy Water smells of strong frankincense right away. The frankincense is resinous and slightly sweet with an almost-but-not-quite lemon quality to it. It definitely smells watery in an abstract way, and after the frankincense settles, I smell orange and a subtle woody base. The orange fades leaving faint wood, but it also has that edge that faded citrus oils get. Thankfully, it is well masked by the woody base note.

On skin, I smell lemony, woody frankincense with hints of tar and soft evergreen. I think there must also be some other citrus in this fragrance, as it smells quite a bit more fruity than I usually notice in pure frankincense essential oil. As the fragrance dries, I smell something like a tropical flower such as ylang ylang, but it is subtle and short lived. The floral component is a bit heady but not overpowering, and it gives some sweetness and softness to the frankincense. As I have stated above, there is a watery quality to this fragrance, but it is not aquatic or ozonic, nor does it smell of sea water. The notes state that rose is in this blend--this does start to come out more as the fragrance develops. It is not the liquor-like rose I am used to from my own rose absolute, but rather is an ethereal, cloud-like tea rose scent, very light and refined. I must admit, I have attempted this same accord with completely different results. Still, I love how rose, frankincense and sandalwood work together, even though at the moment I can't yet detect the sandalwood.

The rose fades in the latter parts of the middle drydown, and I smell a bit of an ammonia note which I often detect in modern, partly synthetic fougeres. I suspect that it is an evergreen note that I am hyperosmic to. Holy Water definitely has an aromatic herbal side to it, so if it contains pine, cypress, or maybe even some lavender, this could be the culprit. The ammonia note is not overly strong, and it eventually dies down. I can eventually smell the sandalwood in the deep drydown--it is faintly woody, sweet, nutty and a little creamy. My (very old) essential oil is quite similar to this. It is easily overpowered by other notes, so it is great when it finally can show itself!

Rose des Bois by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Rose de Bois has an immediate burst of rose blossom which quickly morphs into a sort of green rose, ie, foliage, stems and blossom all together. It is fresh and bracing, a little bit spicy due to the cinnamon which emerges soon after. The cinnamon is actually quite dry and sticks in my throat a bit, but as this fragrance develops quickly, it does not stay there very long. Soon after, the cinnamon mellows into the creamy wood base which actually reminds me very much of Roger and Gallet's Blue Carnation. I love the drydown in Rose de Bois--it is soft, sweet, spicy and woody with a hint of powder. At the same time, it is crisp and dewy, as I imagine a living carnation would smell.

In another wearing, I spritzed around 7:30 am, and could smell it faintly after lunch. Beyond that, is has been very close to the skin. The aesthetic sensibility of this scent reminds me very much of Chanel Egoiste (rose, creamy wood and spice), although I would not say this is a smell-alike by any stretch (Profumo's own Bazaar is much closer to Egoiste). I smelled the rose much more distinctly in this wearing. It is still in the first few instants when it is sprayed, but it comes back again in the green and spicy middle stage where it actually seems quite cool and mellow compared to the spicy accord. The drydown is the ever-consistent creamy vanilla wood. I am not quite beyond the potpourri or scented candle association in RdB, but I am impressed that it can carry this much spice and still skirt that boundary.

Ambergris by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

After the alcohol dries, I get a very strong smell of mothballs. I am very surprised because I also smell a similar mothball quality in civet. To my nose, civet is like a combination of mothballs, feces and florals. Ambergris is like mothballs, brine and bile. I can't disagree with other observations on the bile aspect, only my first inclination was to say it smelled of very bad breath (human). Another surprise for me--this is the first animalic that I have not found to be pleasant. Apparently I prefer feces to vomit. Joking aside, I can tell that ambergris could be transformed by blending. I am sure its bitter edge could round out a fragrance, giving it some definition in the same way that bitter herbs and salt make a bland stew come to life. The deep drydown is sweet, not like what is typically considered an amber accord (labdanum, benzoin, vanilla), and it smells quite lovely, a bit like fresh air (but NOT ozonic).

Ambergris is a "single note" of ambergris tincture, and is great for anybody who likes to make their own blends or layer fragrances.

African Queen Pink Panther by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

The initial top notes smell mainly of citrus, orange, mandarine or tangerine, with supporting ripe fruit notes of apricot or peach. Having smelled the single note karo karounde, I recognize this ripe fruit note as the KK floral. On paper, this fragrance has a very persistent and off-putting gasoline note in the mid development. On skin, this is less pronounced, and smells more of a pungent, oily evergreen such as cypress. As the green note develops, the fragrance composition takes on a sweaty quality, almost like a combination bad body odor and urine. This stage does not last terribly long on my skin--the BO quality soon attenuates, and starts developing into a softened evergreen with sweet indolic floral and lingering citrus. Eventually, the karo karounde moves into an overripe fruit stage as I also perceived in the single note--it is sweet fruits and melons on the verge of going bad, and it has a fermented and sligtly meaty quality. The citrus changes significantly, and in this stage adds a tiny bit of sulfuric harshness which is also reminiscent of urine. In the drydown, the overripe fruit becomes quite sweet, but not cloying, and the fragrance as a whole takes on a soft powdery quality.

I must admit, I was really quite afraid to try AQPP on skin. The gasoline scent I smelled on paper was so incredibly harsh and revolting that I did not want it on my body. Now it is clear that this fragrance is one of those that has a very different personality on the skin. I actually find it relatively pleasant, even if it seems to be more of a conceptual composition rather than a daily wear fragrance. In fact, the AQPP drydown is quite gorgeous--soft and sweet fruit with a hint of dry powder and spice. The more challenging part is definitely the mid development when the green notes add an animalic harshness that is simultaneously disgusting and alluring.

Bazaar by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Bazaar is undoubtedly a spicy fragrance from beginning to end. To my nose, the main spice seems to be cardamom--this spice smells like a combination of clove or cinnamon, pepper, allspice and a little bit of dry woodyness. I *think* I smell something floral in the top notes--it really reminds me of carnation, even though that note may not be used. I get the sense of a cool, crisp, dewy and spicy flower, all of which I associate with carnation. Sometimes an accord also seems carnation-like to me when it combines a mild rose (like tea rose) with clove. Either way, this floral note is fleeting and adds to the blend rather than dominating at any given time.

Soon after spraying, Bazaar becomes a woodier. It is rather complex, and I must commend Profumo for the composition. I can't tell which wood is here, and my comments above are only guesses as to whether the spice is cardamom. Whatever the spice, it has a pleasant biting edge. This is the same edge that was less tolerable in Profumo's Rose de Bois, but here, the dry astringency works much better with the tannic wood accord.

Later, the woody spice blend seems to open up so that the notes become more distinguishable. I smell tobacco, sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli and again, cardamom. I am almost shocked at the sophisticated composition, because when I first sprayed it, Bazaar seemed so overwhemingly about spice. I thought spice would continue to eclipse everything else in the fragrance. I am happy I was wrong! The drydown is inviting, colorful, and very warming. Twelve hours later, I still smell it quite easily. It has a bit of spice in the drydown, but at this stage, Bazaar is mostly creamy, woody sandalwood, smoky vetiver, peppery, earthy patchouli and powdery vanilla.

On a side note, Bazaar reminds me very much of Chanel Egoiste, so I did back to back wearings over a few days. With a closer comparison, I think the drydowns may be quite a bit more similar than I previously thought. The great thing about Bazaar--it does not have the phantom hairspray note that I often get with some orientals that have synthetic sandalwood. I do smell this hairspray note a bit in Egoiste, even though it fades after a while. After repeated wearings of Bazaar, I sometimes prefer its subtlety and warmth over the louder and more synthetic Egoiste, although I love both.

Castoreum by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Urine, wet cardboard, feces at first. When it dries, it turns more sweet but has a slightly dry, astringent edge--gorgeous. Surprisingly, it has a similar antiseptic note to the synthetic castoreum I have smelled. Real castoreum smells much more floral to my nose, and the antiseptic note seems more herbal rather than like "band-aid". Later, it takes on more of the familiar leather quality I expected from the start, but at the same time has a sort of tropical flower quality to it.

Curious as to whether my vintage Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles parfum contains natural castoreum, I **liberally** applied Profumo's castoreum tincture to one arm...and on the other have applied BaV. The spot of castoreum has a rough beginning, but rather quickly mellows to be sweet, slightly tarry and antiseptic. I have smelled something similar in synthetic castoreum-heavy scents such as Dzing!, but the natural castoreum is much smoother. I think it is a combination of civet and castoreum I smell in BaV, which has a slight root beer quality. Of course, there are other notes such as aldehydes and florals, but the animalics in this vintage juice are far more smooth than the newer EdC I own, and in which I also recognize castoreum and civet (synthetic). On a side note, I smell root beer in castoreum if I waft it from further away.

Castoreum is a "single note" tincture of natural castoreum, and would be great for anybody who likes to make their own blends or for layering.

Civet by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Civet swings between smelling fecal and smelling like mothballs. I do not get any urine smell here as I do with the synthetic civet. I think natural civet is much more pleasing, however, I am really impressed that synthetic civet comes as close as it does to the natural scent. I recognize this scent very well from Jicky, and of the concentrations I've tried, the civet in Jicky extrait comes closest to smelling like this natural civet. In the drydown, it has a sweetness that is unexpected, but helps me see how this can blend so well in oriental bases that include sweet balsamic notes.

This is a "single note" tincture of natural civet, and would be an excellent ingredient for those who enjoy making their own blends or for layering.

Mona Lisa by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Notes include: Mandarine, Tuberose, Civet

On paper, Mona Lisa has a beautiful citrus accord top that reminds me very much of petitgrain which is woody, fruity and fresh. It becomes creamy almost right away, not like the sweet orange-cream of ice cream, candy or soda, but creamy like a soft, inedible vanilla with a faint tinge of orange. The label says it has tuberose. I don't detect strong tuberose, but ML does start to develop a sort of chewy, almond-like note which is simultaneously sweet and bitter. This is something I can take very deep inhalations of--I wish it were a bit stronger and longer lasting! I think of all the almond-like fragrances on the market, and this blows them all away.

On skin, and the civet note really blossoms, and I smell the tuberose more strongly. I have smelled this same tuberose note in Piguet Fracas, Malle Carnal Flower, etc. It is so subtle in Mona Lisa, not overpowering at all. It is a close to the skin scent, very personal. I love how the civet turns creamy and how it carries the tuberose and citrus into the drydown. Later, I get the almond-like scent that I smelled on paper.

On full wearing, Mona Lisa smells of citrus and cream. The citrus is listed as mandarine in the notes, and indeed it does have an "orange with and edge" quality about it. It is not as sweet as orange, and is slightly more woody and bitter. The creamyness comes form the civet which is less overt at the start of the development. Soon after the fragrance dries, the mandarine becomes quite a bit more green, and this is facilitated by the emergence of the tuberose note. I have never smelled tuberose in isolation, nor have I smelled the actual plant. My only other exposure to this note has been in other fragrances, as I mentioned above. Mona Lisa's tuberose seems more dirty in comparison to Fracas or Carnal Flower, and it is almost smoky, with hints of slightly musty wet cardboard and bitter almond. The natural civet seems to play an important role, giving the tuberose and mandarine some hefty substance without weighing down the delicate top and mid notes.

Mona Lisa develops very rapidly and wears close to the body. It is mostly a skin scent after about two hours. It is amazing how natural ingredients of high quality can have such complexity. In a way, I am at a loss for how to describe such fragrances--I smell mandarine, I smell civet, I smell tuberose. However, there is a synergy that occurs in this and most of the other perfumes I have tried from this house. I smell all the ingredients, but I also smell the whole composition which shifts to emphasize one or two of the component ingredients. Surprisingly, the mandarine stays strong for most of the development. The tuberose comes and goes, and moves from indolic floral to a bitter and sweet nuttyness. The civet, of course, remains to the end, and is a beautiful finish, soft, creamy and musky.

Morning Blossom by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

My impressions of Morning Blossom on paper is that it is a gorgeous bergamot to start, then is joined by subtle blended citruses. There is a lemony quality that reminds me of rosewood essential oil, but eventually it fades, as does the bergamot. As the citrus notes fade, neroli emerges, and it is absolutely stunning--intoxicating, penetrating, sweet and slightly indolic. The neroli lasts a very long time and is of beautiful quality.

Immediately after applying Morning Blossom on skin, I smell the bergamot and indolic floral. MB has a very fresh but soft roundness to it, green, citric, slightly woody and herbal. I have smelled this particular bergamot as an individual note, and it is unlike other bergamot essences I have smelled. It seems far less like the Earl Gray tea scent I am used to and much more like a cross between grapefruit, bitter lime and lemon peppercorns. After drying, the bergamot settles, and I smell mellow lemon-like rosewood. As the bergamot continues to develop, a beautiful neroli note comes out. I must say that the neroli in Morning Blossom is incredibly beautiful. It is somewhat heady and penetrating, a softly orange-scented white floral with a tiny bit of sweet nuttyness which is almost like coconut. This is the kind of neroli that can be consciousness-altering, especially when I take deep inhalations of it.

The bergamot mostly burns off while the rosewood and neroli take over. The rosewood stays very indistinct, and seems to be a bridge for the bergamot and neroli. Interestingly, the neroli seems to be the base note in this composition, and as it develops, it becomes creamy while still retaining a good amount of sharpness and definition. In time, the neroli turns much softer and slightly spicy, but still retains a bit of its animalic urine-like edge. Longevity was surprising, about four hours, however, the fragrance does stay close to the skin overall. Today was warm and sunny, and this incredible fragrance bloomed on my skin while I was out in the sun. It is a gorgeous scent--highly recommended.

Knize Ten by Knize

i was sincerely hoping this odd mix would work. and appreciate it though i do, it made my stomach turn ever so slightly. i gave it a few days, though, and tried again. and again, my stomach held fast to what my mind didn't want to accept. it just doesn't work for me.

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

beautiful bottle, nice aquatic, sweet and lemony scent. i love it every time i give it a sniff, though on me it's just a little too linear and, eventually, boring.

Pasha Fraîcheur Menthe by Cartier

started out with a warm, intriguing, herbal mint. sadly, it quickly dried to a strong, average and headache-inducing musk. ultimately, neither fresh, nor minty. blah.

Vetiver by Guerlain

it was my go-to for a year or so when it was first (re-)released, before being demoted by my now ex-girlfriend, who didn't much care for it. after trying to get back into it, i found it still evokes a rich freshness, if somewhat harsh at times, especially on hotter days (perhaps a bit synthetic, as some have noted). when the mood strikes, this still makes me happy. though i have not once gotten a compliment from a girl on this one, which is worth keeping in mind.

27th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 06th August, 2009)

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

as i'm fairly sensitive to overbearing scents, i'm thrilled this one settles in as nicely as it does. to me it indeed smells like fresh apricot pits in a rich suede coin purse, and with it on, i find myself constantly checking my wrist to see what it's up to. certainly not the most masculine, it does nice things on my skin and have been told as much by a pretty girl or two. which is nice.

27th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 06th August, 2009)

Gendarme 20 by Gendarme

perfect for the more sensitive-nosed of us. it's light and fresh and unique and clean and perfect for regular warm weather wear, which is precisely when i put it to use.

Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir by Christian Dior

refined, yes. lemon and leather, yes. beautiful, yes. works for me? sadly, no. dries down a little too hot and dry. i'm sure on someone with a bit more class and a few more years than i, this would be fantastic. on me, it just feels uptight.

ZeeK's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Very Irresistible for Men Fresh Attitude by Givenchy

It’s fresh, it’s polite. Right! Have nothing extra ordinary but a pride selection when you are not willing to wear a very complex one.

I like the smoothness of notes; it is not overpowering nor cried out anything, romantic & casual fragrance with reasonable lasting and silage.

Unique with me but I always gets a light aroma of GUAVA extracts from Givenchy VI-FA... I know there is no such note but may be a combination of notes in composition generates it over my skin!

glitteralex's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Have to say, I am not wildly impresssed with this at first. It seems odd to me that there is spice sandwiched between a rather skinny top and base...clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, seem oddly out of place in a citrus/lavender with a thin white musk. More to come as I retry....

Jack's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

I like sweet scents (esp vanilla/tonka) and love quality sandal wood so this is an easy thumbs up. I have been wearing samples for about a week and bought a 4oz bottle today. This was my first creed purchase (saks), because it doesn't smell anything like my Bond no 9's. This and riverside drive are my two current favs.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Nice strong citrus. Have gotten compliments.

27th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 06th December, 2009)

Pure Vetiver by Azzaro

It's a nice grassy smell, but there's not much too it. I haven't tried other vetivers. It lasts a decent amount of time and is inoffensive. Smells like freshly cut grass, good for what it's going for.

Edit: This isn't much of a vetiver really. To me it smells like Azzaro Chrome (VERY similar almost stinky drydown which is nonetheless enjoyable), except with a green grassy note instead of a blue note.

27th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 08th October, 2009)

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

Has a similar drydown to Issey Miyake, more floral. It does smell synthetic. Furthermore it is fairly unisex which does not appeal to some women. I have no problems with longevity - lasts on me all day at work and projects well for half the day. It is fairly simple which I assume is what people mean by it being "empty". It's like a less stinky/masculine Azzaro Chrome. Unisex and does smell very, very similar to D&G Light Blue for women (smelled it on a co-worker). Changing my vote from neutral to thumbs up.

27th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 08th October, 2009)

Very Irresistible for Men Fresh Attitude by Givenchy

I bought it because the mint note seemed unique to me at the time. It dries down pretty sweet but not too overpowering. It's nice but not that special.

27th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 09th October, 2009)

Vladdypwnz's avatar

Polo by Ralph Lauren

This fragrance smells like a pine explosion coupled with a swift punch to the nose. I give it credit for being a classic but there's absolutely no way anyone should wear this nowadays, if you ask me. It's very very strong and in your face, I find.

Vladdypwnz's avatar

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

I don't like this smell. It seems to have all the components to make it good but they just don't mix together. It smells sour and synthetic.