Fragrance Reviews from June 2009

Kaern's avatar

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

Well at least the pepper covers the violet. Actually 'The Beat' isn't that bad a fragrance if you are looking for a fresh, woody and peppery vibe -- I like peppers in fragrances (you will have to to). Burberry are one of the best mainstream designer fragrance houses imo and produce much more interesting fragrances than all the others at the moment -- I mean you get what you pay for is the maxim with them. 'The Beat' isn't their best and I won't be purchasing as it is a bit too 'young' for me, but I've smelt a whole lot worse.

Kaern's avatar

Paul Smith Sunshine Edition for Men by Paul Smith

Heatwave in Britain ---- aaarrgghh over 30 degrees for 3 days - we are all doomed!. Tested some mainstream summer orientated frags and I liked this the best and may purchase. The grapefruit note is really nice in Sunshine Edition and mixes with the spices gloriously -- the mossy woody drydown is so-so, but hey I suspect this isn't very expensive and that grapefruit really kicks. Can't really remember the others too well as they were so underwhelming, Eternity Summer?( has a sour note), CK Summer (fresh but a bit bland) , Kenzo Summer? (not bad, but fleeting) Hugo Boss(don't ask -- will not review any of the range on principal) -- I was just grazing really while girly shopping was being done. To recap -- a lovely refreshing, uncomplicated and inexpensive summer fragrance from Paul Smith.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Mukhallat by Montale

I have to agree with Trebor and Foetidus on this one...Montale's Sweet Oriental Dream is much more richer and well rounded than this comparatively "thin" example of a Turkish Delight scent. Serge Luten's Rahat Loukhoum is also a much better choice if you want to try a scent that's inspired byTurkish Delight.

jalexhrovat's avatar

L'Ame d'un Héros by Guerlain

I don't know why this is listed as a women's fragrance, because when I went to the Guerlain boutique at Epcot, they said this was a male fragrance. Other websites say its a male fragrance, and its predecessor Coriolan, is a male fragrance as well.

Honestly, when I tried this, I was blown away. The opening was amazingly crisp, then transitioned into the floral notes, with juniper, cypress and basil. Absinthe gave these notes a bit of an edge. The base notes of patchoulli and basalm came out and complemented the middle notes very well.

I found the fragrance somewhat hypnotic and couldn't stop smelling my wrist. I've never tried Coriolan, but if it was even half as good as "Soul of a Hero," then I would have to give a try as well.

funnyboy's avatar

JHL by Aramis

Amazingly rich warm scent.I agree not for hot weather but I have just picked up a half bottle off e bay for a song.
    Remember this over 20yrs ago when I couldnt afford a bottle and I used to go in the department stores and have a test.
    Lasts an incredibly long time without being sickly like Bijan or Jacomo de Jacomo.
    I get the cinnamon but there is a gingerish vanilla like drydown on my skin.
    Cant wait to wear this in publc to see what the reaction is...

funhuntr's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

Fragrance can evoke tons of memories, and Carolina Herrera for Men does it for me...I think it's the one that turned me into the wonderful world of scents (not even my first "frag", Lacoste Classic, can have that uhm...honor hehe).

As a fan of fougeres this is right up my alley, and the tobacco note just adds to its warm-fuzzy quality (I also own D&G PH and Versace The Dreamer, I seem to be a fan). Great for bed-weather nights (its drydown is comforting and just asks for a snuggle-fest), romantic dates and dinners with friends wherein one has to turn up the charm and the sophisticate factor :) Have had several compliments on this one...A scent that'll never be absent from my collection.

funhuntr's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

It's my Mom's fault I buy so many frags now, and this is is the culprit...my very first real frag was Lacoste Classic given to me in the early 90s. Surprised she gave me one from her trip abroad, even more surprised that her choice actually clicked with me.

Although Carolina Herrera for Men was the one that really turned me on to the world of frags, I'll always remember Lacoste Classic as a fitting initiation when I got it in high school -- sharp and powerful at the start, comforting yet with an edge at the end. I don't have a bottle now, I think I've moved on to fougeres...and I'm currently loving my citrus-y Adolfo Dominguez Agua Fresca...but if I get bitten by the nostalgia bug, I just might get another bottle just for old times' sake.

Nukapai's avatar

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

My mother's signature scent wasn't so much any one particular perfume (she worked her way through several) - but more of a theme "perfume and cigarettes". She smoked 40 a day. Probably why she got cancer in the end. To me, Jasmin & Cigarette is instantly evocative of "perfume and ashtray". It is a chilling reminder of the not-so-good memories. Another powerful example of the subjectivity of our perfume experiences.

Nukapai's avatar

Promesse de l'Aube / FK1 by MDCI

Instant adoration. Out of my prize range. I fear this is aimed at a target market that doesn't include me, but its charms may be lost on some people who may mostly be seduced by the very exclusivity that the price point creates (that, or the showy bottle).

Alas, this is a heartbreakingly beautiful floral with sweet fruity, citrus and chypre tones. Feels grown up, perfume-y (in a good way); little skanky. It seems to last well, even in hot weather.

Narguile's avatar

Angel Garden Of Stars : Rose Angel by Thierry Mugler

I find this scent to be a wonderful conglomeration of some of my favorite fragrances - I don't love the rotted fruit and dirty earth of the original angel, so I appreciated the muted tones of this one, the patchouli more of a coromandel type patchouli, dusty and warm. The fruity floral aspect of this scent reminds me of the rose jam accord of Liaisons dangereuse, and there is a wonderful sweet tobacco effect in this similar to my beloved, and discontinued, Escada Collection. All together, this adds up to a wonderful, shimmering scent that I love for the first few hours - the only downside is that this scent eventually dries down into the original Angel finish, leaving a clingy patchouli base after a few hours that lasts, and lasts, and... lasts. It just will not die. Which for most people is good, but for me is a little much.

No. 5 by Chanel

Loved it when I was in college, but now it no longer suits me. It is very complex, with many notes. I love the scent when it comes from the bottle, but not on my skin.

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

Roses, vanilla .... luxurious femininity. I love the body lotion as well as the perfume.

Arpège by Lanvin

The kind of scent you can imagine wearing on a romantic evening. It would encourage someone to ask you to tango .... rich, complex, changing as it dries .... intriguing.

Mon Peche / My Sin by Long Lost Perfume

Remarkably distinctive and unforgettable. I would love to try this again, and am willing to but the recreation just to see if it is like the lovely scent I remember.

ChrisJPN's avatar

Japan Japan

Russian Caravan Tea by CB I Hate Perfume

This is very pleasant, a slightly sweet, musty, milk tea. I don't really get the citrus notes others are smelling nor is it particularly bright. On my skin there's a gentle sadness to it and there's a nice sense of refined sophistication. . Great longevity too despite not being powerful at any point. I wouldn't insist anybody buys it but as something a little different it's definitely worth trying.

rocketboy's avatar

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

This smell is for older men. Not like me 22 years old.
    Not my taste. Strong and not so good

AndyCapobianco's avatar

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

I've tried two Ted Lapidus fragrances, this and "Ted". Ted is still my favorite everyday fragrance. I'm a younger guy and like the lighter sweeter scents more than the typical 80's strong manly ones. Lapidus was a blind purchace, and at first I was pretty dissapointed. I saw the top notes of Lime and Pineapple and was hoping they would be more prevalent. As soon as I sprayed it I thought "I'll never wear this". It smelt too strong and spicy, and I didn't picture anyone else liking it. But I've worn it to work for a week now, and I got a bunch of compliments from some girls and a couple of ladies saying they liked it which was great. since then (a week ago) I started really liking the smell myself, maybe I just got used to it or the strong start, but either way I like it a lot now. It smells great after an hour or so. It has decent lasting power too. This has got me interested in trying out some more "classic" mens 80's frags. I probably won't buy this again, it's nice, but I'd rather try some other fragrances in this style. if I find nothing similar to be better I'd come back to this though

AndyCapobianco's avatar

Coconut Lime Verbena by Bath and Body Works

I love it. I'm a 24 yr old guy and I'm using this during the summer days. It has a citrus top and the coconut isn't extremely noticable, but maybe that's best, if it did I think it could lean towards the "tanning lotion" kind of thing. The lasting power seems ok, not great but I've had much worse. Really fresh fragrance

kitsch's avatar

White Tea by Berkeley Square

Much better than Berkeley Square's aggressive Fig and Cherry, which overpowered me with sweetness and fruit that went on forever. This has soft. light, delicate almost sparkling notes in comparison, which is delightful and fresh in the summer heat.

(My review just disappeared: I'm new to this so forgive me if this goes wrong.)

White Tea by Berkeley Square would be delightful whilst listening to nightingales. It is everything that Fig and Cherry wasn't. This is soft, light, delicate and almost sparkling with bright but not harsh top notes; it mellows and develops but stays delightful and fresh on a hot summer's day or sultry humid summer's night. The hand cream that accompanied my scent is well-perfumed and long-lasting too. All in all, a much better offering from Berkeley Square.

tijanarm's avatar

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

For me, this fragrance is like a relationship that starts from this unassuming friendship that you never even know will blossom into a beautiful, addictive, passionate affair! This fragrance takes a while to "grow" on you, but once it does, you never want to be without it! I started out as a huge fan of the original Prada and when this came out wasn't too impressed. I actually didn't like it, but wanted to see if I was missing out on anything, I kept testing every time I went back to the store. Eventually, I started really liking it, to the point where I have decided to by the full bottle, and then another bottle, and another bottle... It is a beautiful, unique, feminine fragrance, sexy, but not overpowering, classy, but not conservative.

tijanarm's avatar

Cristalle Eau Verte by Chanel

For a while I was iffy on this one and not being sure about committing to a full bottle I kept going back to the store to test numerous times... Finally, this ended up being a no purchase for me. I am a huge fan of the original Cristalle, but I am not trying to be a "purist" here and I was keeping my mind (and nose) open. In general, I have a broad taste when it comes to Chanel fragrances, the only one I truly dislike is Coco Mademoiselle (not too crazy about Chance either). If in the right mix, I do like citrus fragrances, which is what Eau Verte is. Eau Verte is an attempt to launch a fresher and "easier-to-wear" version of the classic Cristalle fragrance, similar to what Chanel did with No. 5 and Eau Premiere. While I have nothing against Chanel doing this, I honestly think they should name these new fragrances differently, as this way one cannot help but compare it to the original and this is NOTHING like the original! There is nothing wrong with Eau Verte if you like intense citrusy fragrances which dry down to a very soapy finish and for the most part disappear after barely an hour. At least, that is my impression of this fragrance. To me, this does not resemble the original even closely (to my dismay, but maybe to someone else's joy), which is one of my all-time Chanel's favourites. Eau Verte, as mentioned, opens intensely citrusy. It's not bad, especially if you like citrus notes, but I find it just a bit too much, almost like I am literally peeling a piece of fruit. The citrusyness disappears relatively quickly and is replaced with a soapy drydown, which is not bad, but essentially, nothing special. To me, Eau Verte is just a non-descript fragrance, built for the young crowds of today, and could be just any other fragrance on the market and vs. a Chanel. The longevity of this fragrance is poor, I've had it disappear on me within an hour or so. Plain, plain, plain!