Fragrance Reviews from June 2009

Coconut's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Aqua Allegoria Mandarine Basilic by Guerlain

According to Osmoz, Aqua Allegoria - Mandarine Basilic consists of the following notes.
    Topnotes: Green Tea, Ivy, Clementine, Blood Orange, Orange Blossom
    Heartnotes: Mandarin Orange, Basil, Peony, Chamomile
    Basenotes: Amber, Sandalwood
    This is probably one of my citrus category favourite recently. I have put on 4-5 spritzes for the review. The opening is notably citrusy and juicy. The smell of orange is overwhelming, it concealed the green tea, ivy, orange blossom which is listed on the notes. The scent of orange lasted a considerable of time, at least 1.5-2 hours before it toned down into a softer citrus / floral scent. The dry down is soothing, which smells like a pale citrus water with a drop of amber wielded together.

I agree with kewart, it is definately a good fragrance for summer months.

Centaures Cuir Casaque by Pierre Cardin

Extremely powerful leather with a fizzy powderiness. Like a very strong soap made from tanning liquids. There's a line from a song that I forget the name of that goes "aging black leather" and Cuir Casaque reminds me of that line. If you like the strong and powdery type of leather, here it is!

High... for Men by Patrick Cox

Neat. It's an airy aquatic and smells very generic. However, it's one endearing quality is taht it feels open. Probably how it got the name "high". Other than that, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this and other aquatics.

Nino Cerruti by Cerruti

Fresh clean herbs and green notes. Been looking for it to sample since all the rave reviews made it compelling. Well, I rather like Cerruti's modern offerings. 1881 is somewhat in the same realm as this original men's scent. Subtle florals in the heart. Inoffensive but for some reason, I can't see the appeal for this discontinued fragrance.

Lalique pour Homme Blue / Faune by Lalique

Yup, Allure Homme was the first thing I though of along with the other reviewers. Allure lasts longer and has a more ppery note. If you did not like Allure this might be a better alternative. I find this lacking in fullness and overall feeling. A woodsy, amber and spicy drydown is Faune... but Allure has a great tonka bean accord that makes Allure better in my book.

TL pour Lui by Ted Lapidus

Rich warm woodsy oriental. Excellent cedarwoods much like Gucci pour Homme. Long lasting yet subtle. Elegant and casual masculine scent.

Rodier pour Homme by Rodier

No power, yes, but it makes up for being a wonderful smell. An aromatic fougere with musk. Subtle and perfect of the office.

Aigner Black for Men by Etienne Aigner

I suppose I'm not a fan of this. I had wanted to try all of Aigner's scents, Black was my first choice in first to sample. Very sweet opening. Reminded me of the smoothness of Armand Basi Homme (black and white rectangular bottle). But for some reason I cannot smell if anymore after a while. And it doesn't even creep up on you and it's not due to overapplying. I like the sweet soft leather in this but I will stick with others for longevity and potency. Good if you need something more subtle for a few hours, otherwise, I'm not too eager to go and get myself a bottle no matter how much of a fan of Aigner I am.

Oud Cuir D'Arabie by Montale

Yeah, try before you buy. Oud fans would like this. Leather fans would like this. Rose? Yeah, Montale NEVER has a fragrance without a rose. Too dry. Too bitter. Too bleak. Not an enjoyable fragrance. Not because I'm more of a fan of "fresher" scents that make you feel good this is just something to not wear. To me, the overall effect is "rusty old car".

Agua de Sandalo by Adolfo Dominguez

Clean, wet sandalwood that feels a little sweet and peppery. A little flowery. A nice fragrance but doesn't hold my interest for very long.

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

LOL!!! It vaguely lives up to it's name sake. It's actually an amusing experience, it's slightly sweet, slighty floral, and slightly smells like a sectretional fluid. Let's just say that if it really smelled like this, things might be different in the bedroom, LOL!

Thumbs up for the amusing experience, but I wouldn't wear this out in public EVER.

tanto's avatar

V pour Homme by Valentino

Despite the many negative reviews, I do like this fragrance. Yes, it starts off sweet but the dry down is very pleasing. On me, it lasts a long time. It has some "cotton candyness" to it but also some amber, vanilla, and some soft oriental notes. Actually, I like this frag in the summer, too. There's something about it that makes it very pleasing to smell and easy to wear. In other words, it is a "soft" fragrance and nothing cloying or harsh. Others have given me compliments whenever I wear V.

rinosaur's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

This is a very beautiful spicy-sweet classy scent. Not as masculine as Chanel PM and Platinum Egoiste. What this scent reminds me most of is gingerbread cookies. Its a warm scent with sweet spices and some woody qualities in the drydown. Aside from being like Chanel Egoiste, its quite a unique scent, fresh but mature. I wouldn't recommend it for hot summers, but if you are in a cold office, then it doesn't matter that much anyways. I hope I didn't make it seem to sweet which its not - remember its like cinnamon sweet, not syrup/floral sweet. One of the top 5 I've smelled.

06 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 26 June, 2009)

rinosaur's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

People say this smells like dirt, I smell rich clay. Initially you will get the orange and clay and in the drydown you'll get a tad bit of citrus, clay, and lots of vetiver. Being the fragrance with the 2nd most reviews on Basenotes, it would seem to be popular, but thats simply not the case in the US (It was #5 seller in France though lol), Macy's and some other department stores don't carry this. If real-world popularity was directly linked to reviews numbers on BN, than AdG, Code, Issey, CKs, and D&G Light Blue would dominate the top 10. Anyways, its not a safe blind buy, nor is it a clean fresh fragrance, you gotta go try it out. Its earthy, masculine (not spicy or sweet), and has a whole lot of character so be careful with the sprays. One of the top 5 I've smelled.

06 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 July, 2009)

Heawns's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Blue Sugar by Aquolina

Sweet, sweet, sweet.

Comparing this to Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin (both sharing a lot of qualities), this one is more easy going, more casual (not as owerpowering on the licorise/anise - vanilla), letting you easier smell all the notes, of this, in my humble opinion, beautiful fragrance.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

This is a rather unsatisfactory product that introduced itself to me with a liquid Haribo opening. The last time I was assailled by such a dense sucrose salvo was when I tested Paco Rabanne One Million, and if anything this was even more unwieldy. The citrus elements in the opening seem to be completely overpowered, and for the first hour this feels clumsy and lumpen. The only wearable phase occurs some two hours in, when the rather thuggish elements have receded, and a far more entertaining blend of ingredients are permitted to shine through. A dry, spiced tobacco accord has its brief moment in the sun, then evaporates all too quickly leaving one disappointed on almost every level.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

A well made, and expertly balanced fragrance, that ticked a lot of the requisite boxes for a winning formula. However, despite its many virtues, wearing Beyond Paradise was never a terribly engaging experience,and found it lacking in soul and character. In some ways, it was overly polished and a touch contrived. The opening did manage to provide a sweet and fruit laden accord that never became cloying or excessive, and this basic character remained for the duration of the fragrance. The subtle freshness provided by the floral presence in the middle notes ensured that the working phase felt soft and and reserved, which added a slight nuance on the original theme. I really wanted things to kick on and for Beyond Paradise to thrill and delight me, but it petered out, and nothing in the base notes could save it from a rather drab end. There is no doubt that this is an interesting product, but I find it hard to get passionate about it.

decillisjl's avatar

Monk by Michael Storer

EDP review... have yet to try the EDT but will edit when necessary

What a strange and clever little guy... comes out of the bottle smelling of freshly poured cement, frankincense (right off the bat?), and a very subtle floral. I get absolutely no bergamot or other acidic citrus at all. There definately is a bit of a cocoa note in the top, but it is drowned out in the dry smokiness that permeates the transition from top to heart. The viscosity on the skin reinforces the fact that this is an EDP, but the arrid nature quells its ability to push major sillage, although I can already tell that the longevity is going to be HUGE. As the beast matures on the skin into the heart notes the floral is gone, making room for a very interesting stage. The smoky residuals coupled with the echoing sweetness of tobacco bring to mind standing twenty five feet above a roaring fire of oil soaked logs on a brick base. The effect is almost ethereal in nature, as you don't smell the actual smoke... you only smell the transparent wash of soot that has lifted up in the air, landing sporadic and sparse yet still full of aroma. I am almost tempted to call this a "gothic" scent, because it does conjure images of extemely old architecture built on top of dry bones in deep earth, but the airyness and transparency in the middle and base keeps it from smelling like a tomb. This is the first and only Michael Storer I have tested (or bought) due to the apparent global dissatisfaction he has garnered in this community, but I am enamoured of this vision, and think that I'll probably be keeping the bottle around awhile longer to fully understand this fragrance.

Big Punisher's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

People always describe some frags as "fresh". I never knew what this meant, until I tried Burberry London, which is basically the opposite. This is an earthy scent, with tobacco and bergamot all throughout, it doesn't really change. This reminds me of adobe houses in the SW USA for some reason. Smells like a candle shop.

Chypriot's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Eau de Rochas by Rochas

I thought that I would like it as I like green and citrus and patchouli.. However it doesnt work for me. It smells very much like an old lady scent to meI Thank goodness I only spent $5 on my sample. Maybe my sample was off, but I don't feel inclined to give it another try....

wellss03's avatar

Set Sail St. Barts for Women by Tommy Bahama

A friend bought the tester of this for me from New York.. I loved it so much i bought the perfume. Top notes are blue agave tequila, sea salt and lime.. with a drydown of vanilla absolute, guaiac wood and volcanic musk. Fresh whilst still being sexy.. the tequila adds interest without smelling overly alcoholic. I find it a little too ‘tropical’ for a winter scent.. but perfect for warm summer evenings..

Eau de Cartier Concentrée by Cartier

Very synthetic smelling, without any character. Not worth even quarter of the price. I have to spray other colognes over it to suppress its smell. Don't know my headache is also due to this. I am unhappy buying this though I had very high hopes from the house of Cartier.
    PS. Very nice looking bottle.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Best fragrance ever smelled! Nothing compares to it. A bit expensive though. Wish it to be a bit more strong, but still very very nice and perfectly balanced. A fragrance for humanity.

CK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

Nice smelling perfume. Full of life in the beginning. But base is not strong, as said in earlier reviews. Not so great longevity. I have bought it 2 times and would be buying again once 2nd bottle will finish....means I like it!

Versace pour Homme by Versace

The fragrance is out of this world to smell, but doesn't last even for more than an hour. Very high price for such a shot-lived luxury.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This fragrance is not for the faint hearted who only stick to citrus based colognes because thats what everyone else wears. Don't get me wrong some citrusy colognes are nice but do tend to get boring (especially when girls figure out what your wearing, trick is to keep them guessing!).

Anyways the fragrance starts of with the bergamont, potuli and tar straightaway but you must let this subside (trust me it does after about 30mins). Then you really get to appreciate the fragrance which is a sweet, coffee bean smell mixed with vanilla and lavender. It smells like you walked in to a bakery. Nice. The drydown lasts for a while so do use with caution and apply a little.

I have recieved loads of comments on this fragrance, mostly positive but i dont wear it all the time and its definatley an autum/winter fragrance. It really is a love hate fragrance but i like to look at it like this:

Most men hate it... Most women love it.... and that works for me.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Great smell.. its only downfall is its popularity. However, its popularity is starting to go down with newer fragrance (but based around this type of smell) so keep your bottle so when the next popular fragrance is worn by all, then its you who could be the different one.

Polo by Ralph Lauren

It smells like dry moss. It smells foresty but like a rich englishman's forest and not a dark dingy smelly one. Its nice on an older man but not for me. Im still in my 20's but that does not mean i like fresh, citrusy fragrances you ight assume.!

Not my age frgrance.

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

I like this fragrance from the outset. Its not fresh in the traditional sense (basically its not citrusy) but sort of an expensive musculine floral soap scent. Its like you left the shower after using a $100 soap. Its nice only for the summer months but its doesn't last on my skin for too long 4hours max.

MJW77's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

This fragrance definitely has to be tried on the skin. When sprayed on a testing strip I did detect what other basenoters have described as a lipstick smell (Iris?), however, I didn't find this particularly unpleasant! When applied to the skin the 'lipstick' aspect is merely fleeting and this fragrance settles down beautifuly with the cacao adding a gourmand element. This is a top fragrance which I love to wear. I also find this fragrance perfect for all seasons and works equally well with casual or smart dress.

I managed to buy 100ml bottle of the soon to be vintage formulation of Dior Homme today. My original 50ml bottle was running low and I wanted the original formulation before it becomes obsolete. There is a clear difference between the 2011 reformulation and the original, even to my untrained nose. The new formula has far less iris in the opening and slightly deeper basenotes. As for the bottle the new formula has the black stem and the notes listed on the back. I'm very disappointed (but hardly surprised) that a great fragrance has been reformulated but happy that I have a full 100ml decant of the original!

06 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st August, 2011)