Fragrance Reviews from June 2009

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt

This fragrance also falls into the category of "female classics" I would love to smell on more of my female friends and acquaintances. Not for everyone, since, I presume, this one is targeted at a more mature audience, heavy floral, slightly aldehydic, almost leathery dry-down.

zenman7's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Bel Ami by Hermès

I started wearing this powerhouse from 1988. I was completely in love with it and many many older women (and some men) during that time would sidle up to me and say... "That is an incredibly masculine scent you're wearing it's so sexy!"
    I just last year broke open the first and then the second (and last) of my old style, round bottles from the 90's that I'd been saving and revisited and fell in love with it all over again.
    It IS a strong, powerful, reasurring scent and initially can come across as having no subtlety.
    BUT, allow it to work it's magic over a few hours, over a week or two's usage and you'll find that its incredibly resinous, woody, smokey, leathery, castoreum and beeswax heart and base do NOT add up to brash but actually ...
    religious, archaic, literary as well as powerful, manly, bold....
    it's hard to explain... u need to firstly not be someone who only loves ozonic or marine scents but other than that... its also a pretty serious scent. Seriously sexy, seriously into books (the name is also a direct homage and reference to Guy de Maupassant's novel) and seriously unafraid to be smelled wherever you go.
    I have always preferred it to that other 80s powerhouse comparison Antaeus. It is the drier, more disciplined of the two and, (sic) unlike Antaeus, has a rigorous tight poetry to its power.

Today I just got a bottle of the new reformulated Bel Ami from the Hermes Boutique.
    It IS different, but it's somehow still Bel Ami.... there are definitely certain things I love about it MORE and some things I MISS....
    There is less of a lemon blast at the top (that I might miss) but that nice resinous Bel Ami quality emerges more quickly and more beautifully to my nose.
    Definitely on the whole... it has managed to keep its personality strong and powerful. And yet, it feels like its moved quite well into the 21st century.
    Only time and use will tell if I am as much or less or more in love with the new touchup but so far SO GOOD.
    A heavenly scent still....

zztopp's avatar

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

Notes:
    Top: Citron, Grapefruit, Bergamot, Rosemary
    Middle: Ginger, Elemi, Lavender
    Base: Sandal, Vetiver, Cedar

The 'Sport' edition of fragrances are synonymous with clean, fresh, boring, EDC-like, generic fragrances. I don't know exactly when this association was thought up at fragrance house think-tanks but it doesn't have to be this way. Sure, the word 'sporty' can connotate 'fresh/uplifting/uncomplicated' but that doesn't mean that every 'Sport' fragrance has to descend into the depths of mediocrity and ooze generic juice. How hard could it be to incorporate a novel molecule into a 'Sport' fragrance structure to lend it a bit of a distinct character? Which brings me to Dior Homme 'Sport' (Sport)...a citrus-aromatic so far away from the Dior Homme gene pool so as to be a Dior Homme step child.

Sport encompasses everything thats wrong with the 'Sport' flankers. It shares nothing in common with Dior Homme EDT..gone is the dynamic and luscious iris-cocoa heart and the subtle leather base. Instead, the now tired and worn out pairing of citrus and ginger forms the heart of this heartless offering. Opening with a decent enough citrus blast which pierces all the way into the drydown (increasing in its sharp chemical tonality overtime), the heart notes introduce a ginger note which constructs a light spiced-citrus accord kept aloof by a background lavender note. Three hours later the even more generic base of cedar and vetiver puts the finishing touches on Francois Demachys monument of mediocrity. About the only good thing I can say about Sport is that the citrus-ginger accord is well balanced. The citron note disintegrates into a sharp chemical mess as drydown approaches and the whole composition reeks of been-there-done-that a thousand gazillion trillion times.

Fragrance neophytes will be excited by the bottle and the 'hey it smells better than Axe!' feel of Sport but for the rest of us Sport is something that some of us could have whipped up using a DIY set ..

Rating: 4.5/10.0

FloatingPoint's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Atrocious soapy iris. I can tolerate Prada's other iris-dominated offerings, but for some reason find this one cringe- and scrub-worthy. By all means test this one all the way through dry down before you buy.

SirSlarty's avatar

Storm by Neil Morris Fragrances

I'd say it's a fresh fruity floriental. Nice and unique but doesn't hold my interest. If I wanted to describe this scent with imagery using the name, a tropical sea breeze just before a rain shower.

SirSlarty's avatar

Hyle by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

A squeaky clean musk that feels aquatic but with more depth. Not "fresh" and lasts a long while, too. Spices and peppery notes are subdued and wedged inside the musk and airy accords making for a wonderful blended perfume.

Swanky's avatar

Ho Hang by Balenciaga

Don't let the strange name fool you - this is a classy, masculine scent in the Equipage tradition (this came out around the same time and may have been influenced by Hermes' classic). If you are into old school men's fragrances this should be on your to-do list. This one starts out with an orange blossom and wood accord. Once the tonka/vanilla kicks in the whole thing attains a slightly smoky leather vibe, smooth and creamy. Sillage is not great but longevity is decent. The bottle is a classic as well, similar to Moustache's. You'd do well to pick up either this or Equipage to round out your collection. Ho Hang is suitable for the office or the steakhouse and you won't have every other dude on the subway stealing your thunder.

Swanky's avatar

Moustache by Rochas

This is for the Eau de Toilette Concentree version in the classic columnar bottle which is almost worth the price of admission itself. Hard to argue with several of the other reviews here. This is totally unique while also bringing to mind other midcentury classics such as Eau Sauvage and YSL Pour Homme. Moustache adds a big, big dose of lime creating an effervescent sharpness oddly reminiscent of Lemon-Lime Alka Seltzer. And that's after the initial blast! I can see this scaring some away with the heady mix of lemon, lime and the animal urine note touched on by others. Luckily this latter oddity fades leaving a bubbly citrus in its wake. For those intimidated (or simply put off) by the harsh opening, Monsieur de Givenchy from a decade later, does a similar thing in a much smoother way. All in all, though, thumbs up for the uniqueness and the killer Rat Pack bottle.

Helmut Lang Woman by Helmut Lang

Helmut Lang Eau de Parfum/Helmut Lang Woman

In 2000 Helmut Lang had Maurice Roucel create two scents for each gender Helmut Lang Man and Woman. In reality they were two different strengths of the same scent with Man being the eau de cologne version and Woman being the eau de parfum version. It is curious that a brand like Helmut Lang which was known for its androgynous clothing designs actually made an effort to gender classify their signature scent. It is equally curious why he chose M. Roucel to design these scents as his scents have a lushness to them that also seems to be the antithesis of the Helmut Lang design aesthetic. Especially since these two scents are really only different in their emphasis on certain notes I find that I prefer the Eau de Parfum version as it has a strength to it that appeals to my aesthetic. The top starts out with a soft entry on a wave of florals dominated by jasmine and lily. This is a fleeting short-lasting top as the real business of this scent takes hold as musk and rose hold sway in the heart. This combination reminds me very much of Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan as it contains many of that scents deeper muskiness without the intensity present there. The base of this is a creamy mixture of vanilla and woods including sandalwood mostly but joined by some cedar to add some clearly defined lines to the woodiness. Helmut Lang EDP is mostly about musk, on me, and it comes off light and appropriate for daily wear. Where I would never think about wearing Muscs Kublai Khan into the office I happily wear this one. Does that make Helmut Lang EDP, Muscs Kublai Khan Light?

Vetyver by Carlo Corinto

Carlo Corinto Vetyver

It is said, on Wikipedia, that vetiver is present in 90% of western perfumes. For a note that is so widely present it is always surprising to me how versatile it is as an ingredient. As I write this I think of all of the different vetivers I've tried and how they are distinctly vetiver-focused. The best of them manage to find a style and sensibility to call their own and to stand apart from the crowd. So it is with Carlo Corinto Vetyver which first appeared in the 1980's. This is not the same scent which is currently being sold as Carlo Corinto Vetiver the spelling lets you know it is the original version. The newer version is nice, the original version is spectacular. The top is classic lavender and citrus but it only lasts for a little while as the vetiver comes to the fore quickly and takes over the proceedings. The vetiver accord here is a cross between the sweet version present in Guerlain Vetiver and the smoky version present in Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire. When I say cross that's what I mean in that it never reaches the sweetgrass feel of Guerlain or the campfire smokiness of Extraordinaire. Instead in Vetyver it is more like walking through a field of newly growing vetiver in the spring that still has some remnant of the fall burn lurking about. This mix of smoky and sweet is what makes Vetyver a real stand-out for me. The base is a strong hairy-chested sandalwood which is to be expected from a scent that was born in the powerhouse 80's. For those who want a strong masculine vetiver-based scent, with longevity and sillage, Vetyver is very likely the scent you are looking for. This is a sophisticated, thinking man's kind of scent. Too bad Carlo Corinto has chosen to dumb this down and release it as Vetiver these days.

Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental

I am an avid comic-book reader, excuse me graphic novel reader. One of the more fun books to read was a series called Marvel Team-Up, each issue Spider-Man would team-up with another superhero. Sometimes they were cool and sometimes they felt forced. The one constant to everything was Spider-Man. Vetiver sometimes seems like Spider-Man in that many perfumers look to team-up vetiver with new notes to see what will be found. So it is with the 2002 Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental created by Christopher Sheldrake. If I'm looking for a perfumer who knows the art of the team-up M. Sheldrake would be the nose I'd most likely think of first. His ability to find two different versions of chocolate and patchouli in Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 and Chanel's Coromandel is testament to this ability. In Vetiver Oriental the team-up is to put vetiver on top of a traditional oriental base focused on amber and see what this produces. From the top the vetiver comes out, this is the vetiver that feels sweeter and less woody. I characterize this as more grassy and green than rooty and deeper. This is the opposite tack taken from Borneo 1834 where it was the rooty quality of patchouli that was emphasized. The heart of this is centered around iris and this is a perfect choice to hold the middle ground in this team-up. The iris here is both sweet and slightly astringent and actually serves more as a palate cleanser than a real heart of this scent. The heart is the base which is a mix of chocolate and amber. It is the combination of these two notes that create the Oriental half of things. This is a sweet amber combined with a less-dominant cocoa powder accord to keep the sweet of the amber in focus. The best part of the development of Vetiver Oriental is when you get the contrast of the bittersweet green of vetiver, the floral sweet of iris and the deep rich sweetness of amber all together it is truly a beautiful team-up. It reminds me of when Spider-Man and The Hulk teamed up and what sounded forced turned out to be surprising and fun. Christopher Sheldrake has made a scent that is at turns surprising and fun, another successful team-up.

Scent Intense by Costume National

Costume National Scent Intense

Laurent Bruyere designed Costume National Scent Intense in 2002, sadly he passed away at the age of 43 in 2008. Many will likely remember him as the co-designer with Dominique Ropion of Thierry Mugler Alien. I will choose to remember him for his line of perfumes made for Costume National of which Scent Intense is my favorite. When I was early on in my perfume discovery phase I was looking for a different kind of amber. Scent Intense was recommended because it was simple and led to a different kind of amber at the end. That advice was spot on. M. Bruyere uses as his inspiration for the entire Scent line that of hibiscus. Growing up in S. Florida we had many hibiscus growing in our yard and neighborhood. I was dubious that the very delicate sweet scent of these flowers could be captured in a scent. In Scent Intense the top is a smoky tea note with a very delicate floral character to it. The note list identifies it as "jasmine tea" but the usual intense sweetness of jasmine is tamped way down in favor of the tea. It is that supression of the sweet which allows the hibiscus note to float free in the heart of this. This is as I remember hibiscus smelling on a humid morning in my yard. Very delicate and yet unmistakably floral in nature. the tea combines beautifully with this and allows the delicacy of the hibiscus a platform to radiate from and shine. The base is a warm amber which is the appropriate soft landing for this scent. There are some woods off in the distance but the base is really all about the amber, on me. Scent Intense is another of these scented haiku which manage to do with four notes what many other scents fail to do with the kitchen sink.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta

I am an avid reader of horror fiction and two of my favorites are Stephen King and Peter Straub. In 1984 I was giddy with excitement when I heard they were going to write a book together, "The Talisman". I didn't stop to consider that their styles were pretty different and the things I liked about one when added to the other might not work as well as it could. Flash-forward nineteen years to 2003 and I hear Bertrand Duchaufour and Jean-Claude Ellena are collaborating on creating Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. Giddy with joy, again, but then I stopped to think how was Ellena's minimalistic approach going to mesh with Duchaufour's ability to plumb the depth of certain notes and accords? I spent a lot of time while I was reading "The Talisman" thinking this passage was written by one of the authors and that passage was written by the other. I was guessing I was going to feel the same way about Colonia Assoluta, and I do. The top seems all Ellena and the heart and base seem Duchaufour. The top that I ascribe to Ellena starts with an orange citrus blast which is then supported by a creamy, lemony cardamom and the light zip of pepper. This has the fingerprints of Ellena all over it. Each note holds its place and combines for a simple elegance. If this was Ellena's scent to finish, on his own, I would expect some simpler accord leading to a sheer base. Instead this is where I think M. Duchaufour's style comes to the forefront as the transition away from the top starts with a bold floral accord of jasmine and ylang ylang. It is beautiful but it doesn't flow as easily as it should from the top. It almost seems like I've layered a new scent on. The floral gives way to a Duchaufour signature woody base of clean cedar bolstered with a hint of incense and amber. As much as the top is classic Ellena the base is classic Duchaufour. Colonia Assoluta is a good scent and it leaves me in very much the same place I was when I closed the book after finishing "The Talisman". I enjoyed everything I just experienced but I wonder if just one of the creators was involved was there magic to be found here?

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Frederic Malle Bigarade Concentree

I grew up next to an orange grove in S. Florida. Much to the chagrin of the grove owner I would spend many an afternoon up in the branches of his trees eating the, literal, fruit of his labors. Sitting up in the high branches of an orange tree with the tropical sun beating down on me, sweaty from climbing and covered in orange pulp and juice. That carried a unique scent for me that I thought I would never experience again as my orange tree climbing days are behind me. Until I had the good fortune to spray Jean-Claude Ellena's 2002 creation for Frederic Malle, Bigarade Concentree. This was a follow-up to his 2001 scent Cologne Bigarade also for Frederic Malle. Bigarade Concentree uses the same four central notes of bitter orange, rose, hay and cedar as Cologne Bigarade but the balance and intensity in Bigarade Concentree makes it a much superior scent. The top starts with the bitter orange but that bitter accord also carries a green, tree sap kind of quality with it too and it smells like the rinds of oranges ripening in the sun. There is a cumin like sweaty accord present here that is not accounted for in the note list. This has a very similar feel to Hermes Eau D'Hermes and as Ellena is a big fan of that scent I have a feeling it was intentional on his part, his homage to that scent. As that begins to fade the very lightest of roses appear and then this is followed by the dried grass note of hay and the clean lines of cedar which in conjunction smell just like the sun-baked branches of an orange tree. Despite having Concentree in the name this is a very light composition and I can see it being very fleeting on some skin types. Thankfully on my skin it lasts and allows an old man to revisit his orange tree climbing days of his youth without fear of injury.

Orris by Tauer

Andy Tauer Orris

Andy Tauer is one of the nicest guys in all of artisanal perfumery. He is generous about sending out samples to the community, very forthcoming with information and clearly loves perfume. So why don't his scents send me the way they do others. Tauer has hit a solid 50% and even the ones I like are not my great loves. Until now. I had heard about Orris, the 2006 very limited release, and based on the note list it sounded like my kind of scent. Of course based on the note list L'Air du Desert Marocain is also my kind of scent and it leaves me cold and wanting more. Orris was first released as a series of samples to his faithful blog readers, see what I mean about nice. Then after much begging and pleading Tauer released a very limited edition of 200 bottles. The reason is that it is difficult to source the quality of materials needed to make this scent and that quality is evident at every stage of this one. I am a lover of iris and rose and the use of these with many of my other favorite accords might make Orris as close to a perfect scent for me as I'm likely to find. The top of Orris starts with the mix of iris, rose, pepper, cinnamon and grapefruit. The floral character is what hits my nose first followed by the tang of grapefruit and the zing of pepper and cinnamon artfully kept at a level that keeps the spices from overwhelming the florals. The iris, rose and cinnamon linger and are joined by what might be my favorite incense accord. This is is not the high mass incense or the head shop incense, this is incense from inside a Tibetan temple in which a fire is built as there is a smokiness in conjunction with the sweetness of the incense. Combine this with the now-dominant rose and cinnamon and the heart of this is incredible. Finally the woods make an appearance as a mix of sandalwood and agarwood (oud) show up and now turn this scent into a woody wonderland as the creaminess of the sandalwood complements the strength of the agarwood and brings this to a resounding crescendo at the close. Orris is a deceptively strong scent as it feels like a skin scent but based on the people around me it has some sillage and projection. I'm not in the habit of saying I'm looking for a "holy grail" or the "one scent I'd save in case of nuclear holocaust" but Orris is definitely on the short list of scents I'd consider for those positions.

Polo by Ralph Lauren

My girl and I were on Tybee Island recently walking the beach. Some one had this filth on and we both wanted to hurl. We were amazed that we could smell this above the breeze, the ocean, and everything else one finds on the beach. Everyone knows when you've got it on, that's for sure!

Stick with the Modern Reserve version: this stuff is a waste of money and offensive to everyone I know--young AND old!

Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret

Very Sexy is, at best, a generic scent fit for a middle schooler who needs a cologne that wont knock people out if he puts on too much.

The only reason I haven't given it away is that my girl nearly salivates when I wear this stuff. (Then again, isn't the one you love always infatuated with your scent when you have on the one fragrance that you think is a waste of counter space and money?)

In all honesty I'll keep paying more for my Chanel and Ralph Lauren scents before I'll buy another bottle of this stuff when it's gone. If she likes it on me, she can buy the next bottle ;)

Intuition for Men by Estée Lauder

I feel cool...aloof...and dangerously confident when I wear Intuition.

Intuition is in a league of it's own--just like any man who wears it.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Polo Blue: Fun, fresh, carefree, always a hit with the ladies.

Nothing but compliments from the ladies when I wear this.

My only complaint (my girlfriend shares this viewpoint) is that it smells a little girlie at the end of the day.

Love Spell by Victoria's Secret

While I'm not a fan of things that smell like "fruit punch" (which this stuff does), it drives me wild when my girl wears this!

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

As the name implies, this scent is -only- for the reserved, modern gentleman, who can kill with one look and charm with a few words.

I loathe the original polo but this, I proudly wear it and love catching a whiff of myself. There's almost a spicy scent to it that I love. Upon the dry down I detect a soft, sociable soapy-leather smell that oozes with class.

I was apprehensive about only being able to buy a large bottle but now that I've worn this a few times, I see why it only comes in a large bottle.

Another winner from Ralph!

Adama's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I was really surprised by this one, and not in a good way. I bought it blind based on the high ratings here, and was shocked to find how simple this frag is, despite the extensive list of ingredients.

I get lemon (though not nearly as much as other here have reported) and lots of pepper... someone mentioned that D&GPH reminds them of household cleaner, and they're spot-on. After a bit some tobacco peaks through, but it's appearance is brief.

Projection and longevity is average on me.

All in all, D&GPH isn't bad, but it's not the greatest. My SO and friends still prefer Polo Explorer to it, despite the huge difference in cost (1.3oz of Explorer = $20, 1.3oz of D&G = $70). I'm glad that I've tried it and have it in my collection, but I won't be buying a new bottle after this one is gone.

blackhat's avatar

Intimately Beckham Men by Beckham

Great perfume. Reminds me of Gucci Pour Homme. This is the first perfume that I wore that I got all around positive compliments from girls. I figure it must be hard to come by because of lack of reviews.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Eau de Cartier by Cartier

A moderately pleasing production from Cartier, delicate, subtle and simple in purpose. The opening is an exercise in muted sweetness, with a slightly extroverted violet taking the plaudits, and remaining the focus of attention for the hour or so until the middle notes join the throng. Once the violet has receded, the delicacy of other floral tones are discernable, and at this stage, the fragrance feels gossamer light, and very contained. The drydown is slightly arid and edgy, with a rough lavender presence injecting a little charm and warmth into the proceedings. Eau de Cartier seems fragile and timid, perhaps fatally so, for it never quite has the charisma to pull off the general feeling of meekness. Sillage and longevity are both in short supply, making the concentree version the better choice if you are dead set on making a purchase..

Eddie0's avatar

Acqua di Lavanda Ambrata / Amber Lavender by Santa Maria Novella

If you love Lanvender, then you might love this, BUT,, it feels like you just put on some straight lavender oil. You might as well dilute some lavender oil and put it on. Not one of SMNs best. And it does not last long, at least not on my skin. I say move on to another Lavender frag.

flinterdun's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Only The Brave by Diesel

Got a free sample while passing a perfume store, to promote the fragrance. As there were no reviews yet, I thought I'd give it a shot. That, and the name sounds so cool. At first this perfume smelled very soapy and powdery, and was very reminiscent of some truly classical mens aftershaves, but a lighter, less overwhelming version. VERY agreable. It reminded me of my father, who, after shaving, would wash his whole face with green soap and a lot of water. It always smelled very fresh, clean and sophisticated, without trying to hard or sending a message other than: "I take good care of myself". I started to tryly appreciate this fragrance, and then... Disaster. It dried down to the most sweet, stifling, sickening, headache inducing olfactory choke-hold imaginable. Think Diesel Plus Plus with green soap added. It was like being suffocated by having your head stuck in a giant marshmallow. To endure something like that willingly, bravery (or stupidity, it's a fine line) is a necessity.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Oh, yeah. One of my first REAL perfumes. Delicate, very original, strong and beautiful. Go for it!

Coriolan by Guerlain

A treasure! It was so cheap and it gave me so much. I borrowed a copy of Shakespeare´s Coriolan immediately after the purchase, read it twice just to realize again that there IS something more about perfumes! They simply make your life better:)

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

My 23 years old girlfriend hates it! I love it, and I am only 27:)

Brit for Men by Burberry

I thought no one could argue with this peaceful scent. There is nothing to complain about. Just enjoy it any time you want. Manly but not macho. Very nice.