Fragrance Reviews from July 2009

finsfan's avatar

Cuba by Czech & Speake

Buzzlepuff and Odysseum reviews, if I can combine them, are what I would say. I have worn Cuba twice. Once I had a bottle and today, wearing a sample. First time, I thought it a scrubber. Today, I am rocking it!!! The notes sorta seem discordant, citrus and tobacco, rum and greenleafy. You know how you see a wreck on the highway, up the road, traffic slowing down and you just wanna get on to your destination, but you get closer and you know you are gonna look? Cuba. But, this is a macho scent for sure. I can see why some ladies are drawn to it. Today is a summer day, about 84 now, and this scent is nice, plays nice too. Very well done and this one is gonna have longevity and nice projection.

Quarry's avatar

No. 5 Eau Première by Chanel

Does anyone else feel like they're layering a weak No. 5 with Bel Respiro when wearing Eau Premiere? I think I prefer to have my Chanels served unscrambled, but I understand what others appreciate. I can comprehend what Lilybelle's saying about the easy-breezy category that No5EP shares with Cristalle, but I think Cristalle's character is more distinctive and desirable.

Quarry's avatar

Cadjméré 18 by Parfumerie Generale

First, may I say, the previous writers have executed their reviews beautifully. I will add that Cadjmere reminds me of a few other fragrances that radiate a sweet, smooth (see lizzie_j's aged liquor reference), mellow, I'd dare say dull aura: Rochas Tocade, Chopard Casmir, and the drydown of Boucheron Trouble or Liz Claiborne Spark. I can't decide my favorite from this camp. The vanilla dullness is at once very attractive/soothing and then wearying/boring. However, a cost comparison removes C18 from the running for me.

Be sure to check out the many positive reviews at Lucky Scent.

So, thumb neutral or thumb up? I think the interesting resins earn this fragrance a ...

ubuandibeme's avatar

Mukhallat by Montale

Wishing that Mukhallat evoked the feelings & lovely memories expressed by jenson, I must (sadly) give this potent mixture a thumbs down... for my own associations, the strawberry/almond topnotes smell like a public restroom freshener commonly used in the midwest. Artificial smelling. I sprayed one very small squirt onto a tissue and left it on my kitchen countertop for about 6 hours. When I returned to re-sniff it, the sickly sweet berry smell had died down quite a bit and a more vanillic sweet almond was the dominant note. At this later stage Mukhallat seems tolerable, yet not what I want to wear. In the end, my thumb is neutral, as I seriously believe my cultural associations imparted a tainted viewpoint. If not for that, I would say others may enjoy this Montale...but not me, nope, not this one.

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Vamp by Ava Luxe

You may think of sandalwood as a serene, contemplative, even spiritual fragrance, but that's not the way Serena plays it in this perfume. Here it's animalic, lusty and luxurious. A powerful oriental, with all that implies (apply lightly at first, reserve for evening wear etc etc) this is a testament to the extraordinary talent of this young woman. Frankly, it's filthy; but in the most classical and refined way. Wear to the opera, not to church.

zztopp's avatar

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

**This review is of the EDP***

Top: Orange, Bergamot
    Middle: Rose, Jasmine
    Base: Patchouli, Vetiver

Coco Mademoiselle (CM) is the flagship Chanel offering for young 'youthful' women, and is arguably Jacque Polge's most finely tuned contemporary composition for the mainstream market. Ignore the anemic, bony Keira Knightly as the face of CM; CM is a lush chypre-floral. It opens with the top and middle note phases revealing themselves as a unified block; a juicy orange note immediately linking with an expansive floral heart...rose and jasmine swirling with juicy oranges resulting in a dense fruity floral with gourmand highlights. Although indicated in the pyramid of the EDT, I also detect a minute lychee note in the EDP. The rose note seems embellished with lychee, the accord smelling like many Mistral soaps I have tried (albeit of a better quality) and could also be responsible for the gourmand-ness inherent within. Several hours later CM dries down to a light base of vetiver and patchouli...I would have liked a dose of tree-moss to provide a snappier feel to the base, but it does its job of anchoring the floral mid-half well.

A standard but accomplished fruity floral accord, good materials, and compliments galore....refined, approachable, trendy, instead of unique, ground breaking, avant-garde...quite a bit like Keira Knightly really.

Rating: 8.0/10.0

neal's avatar

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

Creed's Baie de Genievre Feuilles de Canneliers. Formal. Sophisticated. Classy. Refined. Masculine. Sexy. Can't ask too much more than that from a fragrance.

01st July, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 October, 2009)

scentsitivity's avatar

Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed

A very realistic rose scent that I am happy to recommend!

scentsitivity's avatar

Highland Lilac of Rochester by Highland Lilac of Rochester

I am originally from Rochester, New York and I remember the Lilac Festival every year at Highland Park. Somehow I was oblvious of this fragrance until now (23 years after leaving Rochester). Highland Lilac is an exceptionally realistic lilac soliflore, very potent (so apply sparingly!) and quite long lasting. Excellent scent option for a lady seeking a lilac fragrance.

01st July, 2009 (Last Edited: 02 July, 2009)

brainpower1972's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Millésime Impérial by Creed

I sampled Unforgivable before I sampled Millesime Imperiale. All the rumours about Unforgivable being a Millesime Imperiale clone are true. They smell a lot alike, but Unforgivable has more citrus going on, while I detect a melon note in Millesime Imperiale. Unforgivable does not last long on my skin, but Millesime Imperiale does. Unforgivable was not the kind of fragrance that really suits me. Millesime Imperiale does not really fit with my personality either, but I do like it a lot better. It is casual and classy at the same time. I still like Acqua di Gio better than both of these fragrances (oops, I forgot that saying that is a blasphemy on basenotes :) ). And yes, this fragrance has a tendency to grow on you. I do not think I will buy a bottle of it, but I think I will buy a new sample of this scent. Millesime Imperiale is a good fragrance and I have been doubting between thumbs up or neutral. There is something very likeable in the dry down that I find hard to describe, that shifted the balance for me to thumbs up.

Worth1969's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

MDHiggins, I have to disagree with you, brother;
    I don't mind a trendy scent (Acqua di Gio, Issey), as long as it has something to offer. Light Blue is completely unoriginal and, dare I say, bland - it may as well have been made by the Ed Hardy line.
    Mediocrity should never be celebrated - even when it comes in a pretty package, but such is the case with D&G Light Blue - a true disappointment!

OlfactoryExperience's avatar

Paul Smith London for Men by Paul Smith

Begins with a delicious aroma of green mandarin and violet. This scent is immediately fruity and modern in its construction of the violet and mandarin top. The heart and top notes come on all at once, in my opinion, but these notes hang around for quite a while before drying down to a masculine combination of sandalwood, bourbon, amber, and musk. I definitely get the amber and sandalwood notes in the base, which are impressively accented by the bourbon. My overall impression is that PS London is a modern, semi-sweet oriental that will provide its wearer with a satisfactory aroma in which to entice passers-by who happen to come within its unsubstantial sillage. Unfortunately, I believe its longevity could have been a little better (lasted only 5-6 hrs on me). I recommend PS London for evening wear, as it won't last all day but the scent of bourbon would suit an evening meal quite romantically.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I just accepted a bottle of Eau Sauvage as a gift from a a house guest. Before now I had only tested it on paper at fragrance counters. What a big mistake that had been. It's was hot here in DC today and as I applied ot to my skin for the first time. The initial citrus-y blast eventually moved aside to reveal the surprise of a wonderful skanky note that never came out on paper..I'm surprised that none of the previous reviews have mentioned it...maybe it's my chemistry, but I'm happy about that since I can appreciate a hearty note of skank in my scents. I later I reapplied it and layerd it with Jicky EDT...sheer heaven. But just as wonderful alone. i'm glad I finally have this in my collection. More women need to try this as it's definitely unisex. A big thumbs UP!

Laila by Geir Ness

I definitely like this white floral fragrance. My wife fell in love with it when she smelled it and she has a sensitivity to overpowering fragrances. The drydown is great and would recommend this one for anyone looking for a good white floral fragrance.

Geir by Geir Ness

I tried this in "Norway" at Epcot in Disney World. I found it to be surprisingly good and based on other's opinions, that seems to be the consensus. I really cannot pick out any specific notes, but the overall affect is very good.

White Musk for Men by Body Shop

Pretty much just as it is described. Its a light musky fragrance. Nothing fancy, but it isn't bad. Wouldn't spend the money on it though....

funnyboy's avatar

Caesars Man by Caesars World

You usually get what you pay for and this is the case with Caesars Man.Nothing outstanding and a bit sharp on the first spray.On my skin it has a soapy dry down with some green notes.I hate to say this but a friend said it reminded them of fly killer! Needless to say I wont be wearing it for social occasions but will probably keep it in the car to freshen up with.I dont find it offensive and there is definateky no signs of any florals or sweetness in its make-up

Crystal Tips's avatar

England England

Emporio Armani She by Giorgio Armani

Back in spring 2000, my new boyfriend wore the men's version of this scent and I loved it, although I wasn't too keen on the women's fragrance at the time. Then in the summer I flew out to the Greek islands for a pre-arranged holiday with the girls and bought a bottle of She in-flight as I knew it would remind me of his fragrance. When boyfriend joined me the following week he'd also bought me a bottle, so for the rest of Y2K this was the only fragrance I wore. We were married the following year and when I wear this fragrance now it reminds me of hot, sunny days and the excitement and anticipation of a new relationship.
    I wear this summer evenings and I love the sharpness as it's sprayed, then the warm powdery notes it leaves behind in the dry-down. My husband enjoys this fragrance as he shares those special memories.

A couple of years ago I discovered Creed fragrances and I find that Love in White is quite similar to Armani She, I wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

andyman32's avatar

Cool Water Deep by Davidoff

This is a nice aquatic, fresh and simple, doesn't last all that long. It's certainly pleasant if not distinctive. When I first sprayed it I thought... I have smelled this before. Not a kind of resemblance, but an identity relationship. Something in another bottle, from another brand. I tried 2 or 3 from my wardrobe and nailed it... Dunhill Pure. This is Dunhill Pure. Not LIKE Dunhill Pure - I mean it IS Dunhill Pure. I sprayed Cool Water Deep on one arm and Pure on another and they are literally identical, top, middle and base, sillage, longevity. Same juice, different bottle. I think Deep is a little less expensive than Pure but neither is very expensive in the first place, and I suppose in the myriad fragrances out there, more than a few are bound to collide.

Or are they ACTUALLY the same concoction, in two different bottles / brands? It wouldn't be entirely surprising. But I can't over-emphasize the fact that these two scents are identical. Somehow I thought there was another one very similar to this... Eternity Summer 2008 was my first guess but that one was a little different. Anyhow, for what it's worth, if you like Pure, you'll like Deep. If you don't, you won't.

Arpeggiator's avatar

Germany Germany

JF by Floris

I'm afraid degustibus is right: JF really has elements of a bathroom (I would not say toilet) cleaner.
    But that's not the problem. A bathroom cleaner could smell really good and fresh. I think the problem is, that
    JF smells extraordinary synthetic. I smell lemon, not the scent of a real lemon, but of some
    synthetic aldehyds or acetals. A further problem for me is the poor longevity. I know that this is a
    problem for most of the fresh citrus scents, but there are by far better ones (try e.g. Iskander or Eau de Rochas PH).
    And last but not least there is no (nearly no) development in the scent. Citral as a top note, citral
    as a heart note and citral as a base. Sorry not for me.

missylee's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

The first 20 min. I get jasmine, and mudcakes, shoved into black rubber balloon.
    Very unique. I couldn't keep my wrist from my nose.

Once it settles i get a more 'smokin' wood and vanilla' but i can still smell that black balloon lingering...

Highly enjoyable and 'fun' but not an everyday scent.

shinhito's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

This fragrance is multifaceted and very well blended, balanced with the perfect amount of potency. My first encounter with this was a sample vial, and I loved it. I was so disheartened when the miniscule vial ran out. So I purchased an "affordable" 1oz bottle. I was completely surprised how different it smelled in it's millesime spray incarnation. It was a far heavier fragrance, and the ambergris note was far more apparent than the vial version.

I can kind of understand the Cool Water reference others have stated. But to me, this is far more saturated and for lack of better word "fuller" than Cool Water.

This is my gateway Creed drug, and it's a fine place to start for people new to Creed.

xtang's avatar

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

Overall a unique scent. The first spray gives you a great whiff of whiskey. I just wish it lasted longer. My issue, like Pure Coffee, is neither has the longevity of A or B Men. I have tried mixing it with lotion to retain moisture on my skin and add a layering effect, but it really hasn't help. Either way, the scent is very pleasant and great for a cool night.

dwnwrdishvnwrd's avatar

Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès

I love this scent. I bought it on a whim from a person who didn't like it much. It was his wife's and she says it just didn't agree with her. She said it smelled like a men's fragrance. He should have taken her word on that and kept it. This is a wonderful frag and I see it as entirely unisex. Either he didn't like it or the power of the marketing gurus was too powerful and he just couldn't see it as a masculine scent.

The initial blast is candied orange peels. Very sweet but tempered by a spicy undertone that mixes wonderfully. I can catch the faint chocolate goodness and the vanilla. Not normally a fan of vanilla in men's frags but this is so subtle that it doesn't mess with my senses at all.

The first time I wore it I received compliments from both guys and dolls on it. Of course when I stated it was designed as a women's frag the guys were immediately turned off. Their loss.

ChrisJPN's avatar

Japan Japan

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is amazing. Beautifully crafted, dark, smoldering, sensual and elegant. It starts off sharp before quickly developing a strong incense. As my wife pointed out, it smells just like an old Japanese house. This in itself is lovely but within an hour or so Ambre Sultan becomes absolutely intoxicating. Living in Japan, a society mostly devoid of fragrance, especially regarding men, I do tend to stand out and receive a lot of comments from the women I work around. One lady told me I smelled "expensive" the first time I wore Ambre Sultan and that says a lot about this. It is truly beautiful, never excessive, never cheap, just rich and full of depth. Highly recommended.

oeonologist's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

The gals dig it so I dig it. I'm more of a vetiver type of guy but the creamy, smoky anise quality of Code is fairly novel. It is a solid scent that doesn't take chances. It is a safe bet.

Carl Kolchak's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Azzaro is a classic. The opening is so fresh, it's magical, the anise is strong and majestic. And, the drydown is one of the best in the business. Nothing too different, it's semi-linear from the mid-notes down to the base-notes. The ambergris and musk are awesome. Just recently, a friend put on one of my shirts that had a bit of Azzaro still clinging to it and she commented on what a fantastic masculine scent it is. It's a great fragrance and its longevity and continued popularity confirm this. For the confident man!

Vladdypwnz's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

No wonder it has so many reviews on this site. Green Irish Tweed is fantastic!
    The name had me a little mislead for some reason - I wasn't expecting the blast of freshness that hit my nose as I took a whiff. It's very striking, very masculine, but at the same time not overpowering. It's sophisticated; the top notes dissipate rather quickly revealing a spectacular scent in a couple of minutes. I was expecting something very respectable, suitable for formal occasions but man, was I wrong! It's fresh, youthful and exciting. I enjoy it a great deal.

justaguy's avatar

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Bleh, I used to like this then I realized it was crappy. Throughout the whole composition is an oily burnt butter smell that makes me nauseous. While the underlying fragrance is ok, this strange burnt butter accord makes it wholly unwearable.

01st July, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 January, 2010)

pakkmaan's avatar

Very Sexy Attraction for Men by Victoria's Secret

i hear this is a very good scent ,, i have never smelt it before but still looks very good