Fragrance Reviews from July 2009

ubuandibeme's avatar

Aod by Lostmarc'h

Strictly by chance this sample ended up on my wrist and if not for the printed fragrance notes, I'd never be able to deconstruct Aod! It is supremely blended and completely fresh as the seaside. It has a soapy character very similar to "E" by Princess Jelisaveta Karadjordjevic - whose perfume creation was assisted by Sophia Grojsman. A unique and wearable take on gardenia! Lian & bbBD have eloquently captured the personality of this scent. I highly recommend sampling this beautiful blend.

odysseusm's avatar

Fresco by Victor

This is lemony-green and minty, with an old-school barbershop aspect that might due to a bit of patchouli. It has a slightly powdery drydown which is cool, airy and smooth. Not as citrusy as V Victor. A nice green bottle, in splash format.

16 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2009)

Oaksbluff's avatar

YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration by Yves Saint Laurent

thyme, man sweat, and lemons.

sort of the olfactory equivalent of that photo of Yves in the nude... classy somehow in his nudity. Ah, to be French in the 1970s. I'm not sure this bookish yours truly could ever pull it off.

rodent's avatar

France France

Black Walnut by Banana Republic

Very nicely done - smells classy and distinctive. However, it's essentially Gucci's Rush (trust me on this one - the dry cedar dominant note is identical) with a touch of Varvatos-style gourmand sweetness. I actually prefer this to Rush, to be honest. As others have noted, however, longevity could be better. Still very good.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

I really want to be transported to the sea and wax poetic about this like everyone else here. I just feel like SirSlarty hit the nail on the head with the fresh dishwater comment. It's not off putting whatsoever, but it's just something that I can't anyone taking pleasure in smelling.

To each his own.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

There are plenty of reviews here that will do this more justice than mine. But if you're still reading, why not find out what I think?

This fragrance is a jack of all trades. It's refined and gentlemanly, yet casual and fun. It's summer, and winter. It just molds to you.
    Do you wear a three piece suit while overlooking the fiction stacks at an old library?
    Vetiver
    Do you write the scores for video games?
    Vetiver.
    Do you cruise for chicks in a Trans Am with the T-tops off?
    Vetiver
    Do you pass the Grey Popoun in a car worth more than most people's houses?
    Vetiver.

All of the harsh edges of vetiver have been smoothed out; you cannot go wrong here.

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Frankincense & Myrrh by Czech & Speake

It has the familiar synthetic "bleachy" frankincense that is used so well in Heeley's Cardinal, only instead of being blended with real Boswellia Serrata oil like the heeley and Tauer's Incense Extreme, this Frankincense note is blended with very dated and familiar masculine scents that really don't evoke Myrrh or frankincense.

Another dissapointment for me from Czech & Speake.

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake

I'm a citrus lover.
    And I generally like classy and aloof scents.
    And don't mind earth or dirt.

This is a huge dissapointment for me.

If you like dried up grapefruit peel, with no sense of juiciness of the fruit, and very little refreshment, layered with a very common-smelling and bitter early-80's masculine scent. This is for you.

I was expecting a refreshing grapefruit note with something dirty and earthy in the base. Instead I got bitter, dried up peels, and a very un-dirty, rather formal, and rather stern base that I have smelled before in late 70's and early 80's masculine scents.

Both thumbs down.

brainpower1972's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

After I sprayed on the sample, I was very surprised because Guerlain Homme smelled exactly like one of those Adidas shower gels I used to use after a fitness workout. The shower gel assocation never left my mind while wearing this fragrance. Other assocations are youthful, sporty and energetic.

I think Guerlain Homme should have been promoted as a sport fragrance. It is very contemporary. It combines fresh notes like lime and mint with a vague sweetness, that fits well with a metrosexual image of masculinity. To me the sweetness gets annoying, but I can understand that it can be appealing to other people.

Guerlain is clearly trying to reach a younger generation with Guerlain Homme, hoping this will be a bestseller. Probably hoping also that those young people will get curious about the other Guerlain scents. A perfectly defendable management decision. But I doubt if this will succeed. Guerlain Homme is a bit more expensive than most of the scents marketed at a younger agegroup, but it's not significantly better. Guerlain Homme is a decent sport scent, quite nice even, but being nice may not be enough.

SirSlarty's avatar

Antonio by Antonio Banderas

Woody and sweet. Heavy amber/sweet musk and doses of sandalwood and various subdued woods (for example: fir, bamboo or cashmere woods). At first I thought this smelled like very sweet tobacco, but it's a sweet woody amber scent. I like it.

ortho123's avatar

Sentiment for Men by Escada

If you look at notes likes jackfruit, lombock pepper, and pink pepper and say, "I haven't seen those ones around much," there might be a good reason. When this gets grafted onto lime and then that gets grafted onto a traditional sandalwood/vetiver drydown (in an attempt to save this one?)...think less of it as "synthetic smelling" and something more like a horrible molecule. You are walking around wearing a horrible molecule.

16 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 August, 2009)

L'Aventurier's avatar

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

This wasn't at all what I expected either - but I love it.

Bleecker Street smells a bit like grass, a bit like vanilla, but it's hard to describe as it's kind of like a grassy, not-too-sweet vanilla candy (a little like those little powdery Rocket candies) more than anything. Anyway, to my nose, it's not a gourmand at all like the description says, and the cassis/cinnamon is minimal if noticeable at all. After a grassy opening, the best part is the clean yet musky-sweet, slightly green vanillic dry-down, which is to die for. Utterly magnetic, youthful and uplifting.

I've been looking for a clean, green scent for quite some time now that isn't too musky, isn't too sweet, doesn't smell like shower gel and doesn't feel chemically - this is it.

Yes, it's pretty synthetic smelling, but the synthetics are thankfully top quality and well blended - without synthetics, fragrance like this could not exist. I don't normally like this kind of fragrance, but like Jrd4t said, I often just can't wait to wear it.

Sillage is low but longevity is insane, lasting on clothes with that amazing dry-down for days.

Giorgio's avatar

Uruguay Uruguay

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Allure Homme Edition Blanche is for those who search a citrus scent with high quality ingredients, good sillage and longevity. A dream fragrance with creamy citrus, a touch of pepper, and a refined woody dry down. But in contrary of other frangrances the citrus remains until the end.
    Classy, rounded, fresh but sophisticated AHEB has the classics Chanel atributes: chic and quality. Jacques Polge in his best form.

Léonard pour Homme (original) by Léonard

A misleading opening that makes you think what it finally is not: a sillage / longevity beast much akin to Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme (VC&A) or any of the leather scents in use during the 1950's.

Leonard pour Homme is, thus, a baffling individual. It makes a grand debut but he does not keep up to this initial appereance. Maybe pressed by the fashion of the times it was launched, the presence of flowers and leather makes you think he must be a relative to VC&ApH.

But it looks like he could not keep on with this farce, so he gets rid of these frills and settles into very subtle, delicate floral notes, in such a traditional way it makes one recall so called "gentlemany scents". Wearing this makes you think he did not feel comfortable with fashion at all.

Vetiver Eau de Cologne by Zara

A simple version of Vetiver compared to Guerlain's, as well as an excellent option given its price.

It might also be an alternative to Vetiver by Adolfo Dominguez in terms of availabilty, given Zara's global presence. Take in mind Zara's and Dominguez' fragrances are manufactured by Antonio Puig, so this may explain analogies between these two.

Top notes are dominated by the presence of hesperidic (citric) notes, namely neroli (top note) and bergamot (mid note). Now, the vetiver is rooty and dry, giving it a powdery feeling.

As in the rest of the line, longevity and sillage are those of an eau de cologne (limited), but these can be graduated by application.

In the case of Antonio Dominguez' Vetiver, the structure is somohew similar to Zara's, but hesperidic notes are not so evident, though. It does have more longevity an sillage, as correspoding to an Eau de Toilette.

Ambar / Amber Eau de Cologne by Zara

A classic amber scent on eau de cologne strength, sold at a very affordable price. Thus, sillage and longevity can be graduated upon by application.

A good option in terms of value for money.

rinosaur's avatar

Forest Rain by Kiehl's

As Pidgeon Murderer says, its smells like shampoo. Its very sharp, and pretty offensive to me. It is very strong and there is something sweet about this fragrance, I don't even know what muguet is but its probably that. Original Musk was on the shelf near it, they shouldn't be: Kiehl's OM is on a different league.

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

If underwear had shoulder pads, this is what it would smell like. I think AP works better as a sachet. When this fragrance was first introduced, I received a pack of tissues scented with AP. I used them as sachets and it was lovely and intriguing. However, the straight-up perfume is too much for me.

Ce Soir Ou Jamais by Annick Goutal

A friend of mine once declared "What is that smell...like rotting flowers??"-she does not like floral perfumes-to which I replied "C'est moi, I of the rotting flowers!" It's true, Ce Soir Ou Jamais does smell a bit...overripe (hence the tonight or never bit), but not in an unpleasant sense. At least not unpleasant to me. Full bloom roses and sweet, sparkling champagne, that's what I think of when I recall this perfume.

Bandit by Robert Piguet

Bandit:

Lovely: climbing ivy, elbow-length black leather gloves, gardenia perfume, orange juice.

Questionable: smoker's cough, gasoline, dirty underwear, burnt tar.

Together: lethal.

16 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 November, 2009)

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

I love that this simple, classic cologne is available in such huge bottles, like a 40oz or something. In the summertime, you can chill this in the fridge, place it in your favorite brown paper bag, and off you go. You'll have a refreshing splash always at your fingertips.

I am joking. About the paper bag.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

MassMenace says: "Drakkar Noir is that annoying guy that talks too much and needs to get attention from everybody no matter what measures need to be taken.Some people like this guy, some don't..."

Well, it was worn by Truman Capote ;). Which is just one of the reasons I love this. It smells so good. Simply, that's all. Masculine, soapy and dirty at the same time, fresh, classic, comforting. For me, this will never go out of style.

Blush by Marc Jacobs

This smells like chalk dust on me. In and of itself, Blush is a pretty, clean, light floral and smells faintly of tangerine and honeysuckle with a warm base. I can imagine this as a modern Anais Anais for blossoming young women. But on me, chalk dust. I suppose I've graduated.

10 Corso Como by 10 Corso Como

Very heavy with powder and sandalwood, and gave me an instant headache.

16 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 November, 2009)

Brandy by Brandy

The story behind Brandy is so sweet, like the perfume itself. As others have stated, apples, hay, spices, smoking pipes, autumn carriage rides, a small flask of (brandy) to warm you up, snuggles under tartan throws, a horse's gentle eyes. Beautiful scent.

archibald's avatar

Bois de Cédrat by Creed

A great solio-citrus, not one iota impressionistic or abstract. As pointed out below, Meyer lemon is the closest real world analogue to BDC thanks, I'd wager, to a hint of bergamot providing the orange aspect and some kind of subtle herbal accord providing bitterness--the two features that separate Meyer lemon peels from their martini-riding brethren. BDC is also half of the only layering combo I'd actually wear out of the house:--two or three spritzes of BDC on top of one of Bois de Santal (which has a nice creamy lemon opening of it's own) provides an amazing two hour balancing act of smooth and sharp followed by whatever's left of BDS, which persists a good three hours longer than BDC.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Good stuff. Gets lots of compliments, too. It's rather light, which is something I love. Not heavy or overbearing, just a light scent which is pretty fresh smelling. I get tons of compliments when I wear this stuff. The top notes in particular are amazing, and when it gets down to the base notes, it's less impressive but still good scent. A keeper in my opinion. Only bad thing I can name is the fact that it's so darn popular.

16 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 November, 2009)

Chrome by Azzaro

It's not bad, in fact I think it's pretty good. The only thing I really don't like about this stuff is that it smells really synthetic, almost to the point where it bothers my nose. Not bad but it's not great either. Overly aquatic, too.

Cool Water by Davidoff

It's not bad by any means, in fact I kinda like how it smells. A little on the synthetic smelling side and quite "aquatic" smelling. Not a bad choice but it doesn't blow me away either. I'd go for something a little more...engaging, so to speak. A decent cologne.

Axe Phoenix / Lynx Phoenix by Axe / Lynx

As far as axe goes the best I've smelled, it was my favorite in 8th grade...now I just can't stand axe. It's synthetic smelling but not bad either. Unique, to say the least. Ok for informal wear but wear real cologne on a date or something. The women won't run to you if you're wearing this.