Fragrance Reviews from July 2009

Sugandaraja's avatar

Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I do not know what cassie smells like, but I'm thinking it must be related to mimosa, as the fragrance this most strongly reminded me of was Caron's Farnesiana. It shares a curiously thick, doughy texture with that fragrance, but without the other gourmand elements found there. Instead, the flower-dough core is surrounded by car exhaust; smelling this is like smelling flowers by a highway, on a day with bad air pollution. It's not smoky, dark, dirty, animalic or even oddly petrochemical the way some fragrances are, but it is most assuredly smoggy, and this smog note is the first thing I notice about this fragrance and is - hopefully - its unique feature.

All in all, I find it very linear. It's a little "fresher" in the first few minutes, but there is no big difference between when it's put on and when it disappears ( twelve or so hours later, on me ). The sillage is moderate, and all in all this is in no way a big, luxuriant floral; in fact it's rather reserved. But then, I love big white florals, so I may have different standards than most!

SirSlarty's avatar

Baladin by Nicolaï

It's classy but familiar. Soapy clean like D&G pour Homme and a touch of leather. Versatile and you can wear it anytime.

vitaman's avatar

Silver Shadow Private by Davidoff

I've liked several Davidoff scents so when I read the reviews of this one I bought it immediately.
    Mistake. On a positive note it has a nice looking bottle. On the other hand, it smells exactly and I mean exactly like L'Homme byYSL which was introduced a year earlier.
    L'Homme is not a bad scent by any means but out of the 20 bottles in my rotation it is near the bottom. It has taken me 2 years to get 3/4 the way through a Small bottle of L'Homme.
    I was looking forward to using it up but now I have the Shadow to deal with!

rinosaur's avatar

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Being one who loves Ambre Sultan, I obviously find this a bit too tame. Its a rich fragrance but at the same time it feels very plain.

17th July, 2009 (Last Edited: 18th July, 2009)

Theasylph's avatar

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

This is everything I thought it would be. It's a little bit spicey green like arugula and the flowers smell more pollen-y than syrupy. Leather is sort of in the background to me. This one is a morpher and smells more vegetal and spicey the closer I am to my skin. From farther away it smells sweeter. What a trip. I like this one.

Theasylph's avatar

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

There's a lotta pepper in here. I think it's a bold scent that could become easily overwhelming. It's very attractive but I wish it was toned down just a notch. The pepper note is especially distracting and makes me sneeze.

decillisjl's avatar

L'Eau des Hesperides by Diptyque

I will whole-heartedly agree with the summation of each of the previous three reviews, but my stance is quite different. There is definately celery... from beginning to end there is a translucent and fibrous effect that could possibly be the combination of certain herbal traits, but in the end you get a mental picture of....... a wonderful bloody mary! This could possibly be the closest olfactory equivalent to playing a round of golf with a couple of your closest friends. There is a hint of freshly cut grass, a hint of salt, and astrigency that could easily be a metaphor for the acid in tomatoes. I can even detect a bit of earth loam seeping up through the bottom. The opening is extremely citric and clean, but as it wears off there is a dirty edge that is both gorgeous and a bit repulsive at the same time. As it dries down the dirtiness becomes even more succinct... I am now on the ninth hole, with a couple of salty cocktails in my belly, splashes of pond water creeping up the hems of my pants, and quite a bit of turf scattered about my arms and chest. I might not be the best golfer on the course, but damn am I enjoying myself. I could never lend it the credence to make it an everyday scent, but it is fun in its unique dirty/freshness and peculiar approach with herbs. Definately worth a try, and I will surely edit once I actually wear it out for a round and can guage experience next to illusion.

Rare Rubies by Avon

This has got to be my favorite fragrance of all time. This was the fragrance that introduced me the idea of "notes" in a perfume. It's also the first perfume I bought blind, based purely on those notes. Since I had such luck that first time, I'm afraid I became influenced to continue that risky behavior!

The first time I tried it, I was transported straight to a velvet and silk room in my mind. Warm, sensual dark jasmine-y, with a musky sandalwood base. Complex and spicy. I wear it during the day, but I am a bold person. Not for the timid. I have yet to find anything truly close to it in smell, although I find Guerlain's Samsara is similar in "mood" to this.

I get a LOT of compliments on this from both genders when I wear it. Currently am hoarding my last few drops as the price has become exorbitant and it's getting hard to find. To any Avon reps reading this: Please bring this back!

Beyond Paradise by Estée Lauder

I tried hard to like this, I really did. The exotic ingredients and complexity fascinated me. Unfortunately, my first test gave me an instant headache and nausea, a reaction I rarely get from scents. My husband also detested it. Sickly sweet with an unpleasant spice note. I cannot detect any particular notes as I can't smell it long enough to try. :(
    Here's proof of my honest attempt to like it: despite my very strongly negative first reaction, I just tried it again. I do believe different times of the day and different moods affect one's chemistry. It was worse the second time around. The barest spritz on my wrist sent me to the bathroom immediately to scrub it off, something I've never done before! I have now scrubbed my wrist raw, applied rubbing alcohol and it's still making me sick to my stomach. 2 thumbs down on this one!

17th July, 2009 (Last Edited: 04th August, 2009)

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

WOW! That was my first reaction to this beauty. Instant love at first sniff! Very sweet, but somehow Flowerbomb pulls off the sweetness without being cloying. The delicate floral notes wrap around the sweetness to produce a smooth creaminess that is pure decadence. Intoxicating! Reactions from female friends are somewhat "meh", but my male friends practically started drooling on me!
    I cannot detect the bergamot note at all. In fact, I am skeptical that it's really there at all! Bergamot seems to astringent to mix with the other notes here. A light tea moving rapidly to light jasmine is what I get. The middle notes last the longest on me; I only get the faintest notes of rose. Truthfully, there doesn't seem to be any drydown; like Ultraviolet (another winner for me) Flowerbomb has a very quick opening followed by hours of an unchanging middle.
    I also do not detect any patchouli, in fact was surprised to see it listed as a note. I suspect a light hand was used with the patchouli, and it is probably that note that keeps the sweetness in check. Not super long lasting on me, but with my chemistry that is typical (only about 4-5 hours at best).
    All thumbs up for me!

robpmgc's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Nice citrus opening. An hour later, I smell something resembling own body odor, as if I had been hitting tennis balls for an hour. Not long enough to get stinky, the smell of sweat as it is happening. It's the herbs, I assume. It's not unpleasant, per se, just a bit unsettling, and not something I would want to wear very often.

adonis's avatar

Gendarme 20 by Gendarme

Just to clarify things, Gendarme 20 is the original Gendarme formulation PLUS a formidable Lavender note. Gendarme EDP (the more concentrated version of the original scent) is different - a large "G" graphic is displayed on the bottle. These are two separate products from the same family of fragrances. If you like a clean pronounced lavender, 20 is your scent. Not a hint of sweetness or femininity in the juice. I really like it, but as with all Gendarmes I wish the lasting power was greater. I guess you can't have everything. Nonetheless, a big thumbs up because it smells so good.

pinkfizzy's avatar

Dune by Christian Dior

I don't find this to be "bleakly beautiful" at all! I find it to be a warm, woody oriental, sweet but not cloying or syrupy, spicy but not overwhelming. Wonderful! I was surprised to find it at Shopper's Drug Mart (I guess they're a Christian Dior-approved vendor!) ;)

Warning: quite strong, don't overdo it!

pinkfizzy's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

The topnotes were gorgeous, and I nearly bought it, but, sensibly, I sprayed it on my skin so it could develop. Thank god! I loved the lemony-herby beginning, but I have to agree with another commenter that the only thing the drydown reminds me of is... poop. Definite scrubber! Maybe it's my skin, or my tastes, though usually I go for more classic fragrances. But I couldn't stand this! I got Dune instead, it's wonderful!

Grunts67's avatar

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

A high quality scent but definitvly not for me. It's seem that the fragrance react strongly to the chemistry of my skin, making it projection enormous maybe too enourmous for me.

As every review talk about his scent, I will not but I will suggest not to blind buy this fragrance but to test it before.

Also, I would suggest to wear it for formal occasion if you are in the 20th. You may be able to wear it everyday if your older. As teflondog said, it's not a chicks magnet and I strongly suggest you don't wear it at a club. My experience told me that club chick don't appreciate that fragrance because it can be a little soapy or too sophisticated.

I would have gave a thumb down but I think my body chemistry make it worst than it is and someof you might really enjoy this fragrance.

Cyborg's avatar

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

First impressions from a new fragrance user:

Started off citrusy and spicy, but the citrus disappeared almost immediately. Was nice and spicy (and strong...almost too strong, but not quite) for a good hour and a half, perhaps two hours, before fading into wonderful smooth sandalwood for another three. The sharper ("bugspray") vibe was unfortunately faintly detectable for the last hour or so. Total: about 6, maybe 7 hours, just a bit longer than some of the other reviewers' experiences.

Really enjoyable overall, though slightly marred by the sharpness near the end of the drydown. I'll definitely wear it again.

cjkamm's avatar

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

A sharp alcohol beginning, fades to a fresh scent, with powdery under tones. I don't smell any of the friuty notes, I get more of the musk, and amber in the dry down. A youthful scent. The original Polo in the green bottle is still my favorite of the RL collection.

dark phoenix 123's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Poison by Christian Dior

i have a vintage esprit de parfum... smells heavenly!!!!!!! brings back fond memories of my childhood days. they don't make such fiercely individualistic and unique scents very much these days. one of CD's best!

antjelina's avatar

Germany Germany

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

This surely is a girls perfume and was the first perfume for me, too, when I was fourteen. But I rather have the sweet lily and hyacinth waving at me in my garden than on my skin now.

antjelina's avatar

Germany Germany

Shalimar by Guerlain

When I first smelt it, it reminded me of 1920s ladies, my grandmother, old style. So I bought it but for years almost never wore it. It has this wonderful first powdery, then rich warm very unique scent. Really special and wonderful, but not for me - at least not for the next 30 years.

dark phoenix 123's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

It is really strange.. but i think this has to do with perfume houses substituting original ingredients with cheaper alternatives. I have one vintage fahrenheit (bought in 1988), and it smells really good... very unique and has a strange "tea" scent if u know what i mean. i recalled it won some awards back then and very deservingly. I also have another version, fahrenheit fresh bought in europe back in 2004. not as in-your-face but nonetheless still a very pleasant scent (especially the base notes). But i just came back from a shopping trip, where i sprayed some fahrenheit on my hands at a dept store. Found it has a very nausea-provoking "oily leather" odour. something is VERY wrong with the new formulations... pls bring back the original formula.. CD. my rating is for the old version.

17th July, 2009 (Last Edited: 09th November, 2011)

kmfdm10392's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

WOW this is getting quite a beating here! As a longtime Dior fan I had to give this one a try. While I do agree this is a slightly feminine fragrance, I suppose I need to go out and smell a few lipstick tubes, because I just don't get that association. Delightfully unisex, heady, and floral, but I only wear this at night.

17th July, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st October, 2012)

Rare Gold by Avon

I tried really hard to like this one; my favorite perfume of all time is the sister frag Rare Rubies. Alas for me, the sublime Rare Rubies was discontinued (and now sells for up to $80 a bottle on Ebay....get a clue Avon!) and this crap was kept. In tiny, tiny doses it is tolerable for me, but otherwise it is overwhelmingly sickly sweet. I was hoping for more orange blossom note, but can't honestly detect any. Then again, to be honest, I can't stand smelling this long enough to try and detect any notes. Yuck.

17th July, 2009 (Last Edited: 08th February, 2014)

Indie_Guy's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

cool, chalky candy cigarettes.

This fragrance is one of contrasting textures, and your nose seems to "feel" it as much as smell it. So dry and cold a big blast of white and then trailing along underneath, a warm, quiet fizzy stream of something Dr Pepper-ish. Infusion D'Homme smells like the world's best clean white bedsheets would smell. This strikes me as somewhat minimalist-- there aren't any dead-weight notes here.

I was initially unimpressed with both this and Prada's Amber Pour Homme. Weird thing though, they've both turned out to be workhorse fragrances that I NEVER get tired of. Both fragrances give me that "new haircut" feeling and are easy to wear.

I found Infusion D'Homme to be pleasantly addictive.

Amit's avatar

India India

Musk to Musk by Montale

I agree with PigeonMurderer's review. Initially I was surprised a bit to smell Oud in this, as Musk to Musk belongs to the non-oud line of Montale. I don't think it's dusty or musty though, it's plentifully musky, oud woody and clean.

It is now among the only 2 Montales I love.

nalle3's avatar

Finland Finland

Pêle-Mêle by Galimard

The drydown is surprisingly nice: rose, peach and sandalwood with a shimmering feeling. Even though this scent is easy, pleasing, and happy, there is something very beguiling in the drydown, and I want to sniff my wrist constantly. Even though I applied it very librally in the parfum strength (I got carried away, once I realized it's not the fruit salad fragrance I thought it was), the scent is not overpowering. I received this as a gift two years back from somebody who didn't know I prefer oakmoss and leather, so for two years this has matured in the bottle and does now smell softer than when I first opened it upon arrival.

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Thé Pour un Été by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Very close to L'Occitane The Vert au Jasmin, which is cheaper. It's a lovely tea scent if you must purchase something from L'Artisan, though.

ahp's avatar

Tihota by Indult

As I am new to the world of fragrances I am ordering sample sets by note to familiarize my nose. I'm starting with vanillas. I find this to be a pleasant staightforward vanilla with the slightest touch of incense which keeps it from being too gourmandy, I like that it's not too sweet. While I find it nice, my thoughts keep going to what I can layer it with, and it's a bit costly for that in my opinion. It doesn't last all day on me either. Hubby was napping when I stuck my wrist under his nose, his response? " um, vanilla." and right back to sleep. I think that pretty much sums it up.

ortho123's avatar

Aramis by Aramis

I wore this one in senior year of high school, later in college, after that, I picked up a bottle in Toronto in 1990 in the middle of one of their worst heat waves and now as I turn a very sexy 50 (trophy husband for my 40 year old wife?) I just picked up another bottle. Not trying to smell "young" these days... simply great.

Why talk so causally about this scent more commonly referrred to as "formal scent?" With light application, this is one of the most natural scents ever created IMO, a peppery leather brightened by a citusy/faint floral fine soap. And patchouli the way it should be. A workhorse.

18th July, 2009 (Last Edited: 12th March, 2010)

ZeeK's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

NOTE: this is not a light version nor summer variation or versioning and there is no any sort of resemblance with the original GREY FLANNEL.

Here I agree with tommy_girl... I found this quite resembled to AXE SHOCK deodorant but Eau De Grey Flannel has a character + maturity in the composition as it develops with olfactory pyramid construction for which a deodorant is not capable of.

It’s not something extra-ordinary but if you want to have something cool, refreshing and joyful occasionally then it’s a must have (For me it is).

I ranked GEOFFREY BEENE as below:
    RANK 1: GREY FLANNEL
    RANK 2: BOWLING GREEN
    RANK 3: EAU DE GREY FLANNEL

But overall they all fall under A+ and A not below!