Fragrance Reviews from July 2009

Amarige D'Amour by Givenchy

A light and lovely citrus rose, with a soft sandalwood base. Very pretty. If I was a June bride, I would wear this.

Amun by Muelhens

The opening notes are of a waxy lemon, shortly followed by deep florals-I guess Jasmine, Ylamg-Ylang, and Rose. A resinous incense base, maybe with rosewood. Have to agree with the previous reviewer, it is fairly linear, and very strong. I favor the top and so keep reaching for more...

Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel by Thierry Mugler

Very similar to the original except for 30 minutes of musty violet in the top.

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

For those looking for similarities between Chanel pour Monsieur Concentree (C) and Chanel pour Monsieur (ChPM), let me say they are very different.

Both are leather chypres, ChPM is a sound creature of its times: gentler, subtler, I would even say denoting class because of an eau de cologne character that is absent from C - a common attribute in many men's fragrances before spicy / woody / animalic notes proper of women's scents were to be popularized among offerings targetted to the opposite sex; take, ie. Cabochard, 1959 and its male counterpart, Aramis, 1965, and compare it with Eau Sauvage, 1966.

Thus, C is pungent, harder, still gentlemanly but not as classy as the original, something that does not affect it at all in terms of its attractiveness.

Besides, Mr. Polge did a perfect job twice, on the shape of Chanel pour Monsieur Concentree and that of Tiffany for men. Both were launched in 1989, and both share many notes in common: unfortunately, I can not make a hand-in-hand comparisson, but judging from memory, I do not find many differences between both.

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Royal Delight by Creed

OMG! Royal Delight is, eeerm, delightful. End of.

I am not too educated in the art and science of note identification and description, but i think i have finally learned what it means when jasmine et al are described as indolic. It means fecal, put more politely (do i get a diploma now?).

Yes, i get the initial floral blast. Yes, i get the citrus. I get all the notes described. I appreciate why RD has been describe as an "old world" scent (though it definitely is not "dated", except maybe to the Eau de Pure Oxygen Calone crowd) But what "jumps" out the most in this powerhouse scent is its strong fecal accord. As i write this in 30 deg C ambient temperature, perspiring slightly, the animalic accord is almost, just almost, overpowering. How horse games were played wearing this scent is beyond me. Must have caused the opposition and their horses a few fainting spells. All that said, this is what i love the most about Royal Delight. A delightful departure from what i have come to be familiar with in my limited exposure and ownership of Creed scents.

The longevity of RD is amazing, lasting 12+ hours on my skin and still not whispering even then. Sillage? Lets just say it overpowers my office airfreshener vanilla diffuser hands down.

I love Royal Delight, knew i would even before i bought it blind. RD is multiple thumbs up.

rhodes22's avatar

Black Aoud by Montale

Now your talking exquisite fragrance . . . complex oriental . . . top five of all time IMHO
    Thank you Montale (and thank you Trebor for turning me on to it!!)

18 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th August, 2009)

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

A clean and distinctive fragrance that evolves with some aplomb into a hollow, floral accord imbued with the dryness of wood. The opening phase is perhaps a little tart and harsh, but it is a brief, tolerable episode in an otherwise enjoyable experience. This is light and simple in its construction, but it does bestow a certain youth and optimism to the proceedings. This tried very hard to please me, and ultimately it succeeded.

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Another dominant player in the aromatic fougere category, and it holds its own against its peers. Worth, Paco Rabanne, Cerutti 1881 and Quorum all share this slightly powdery existence that is simple in construction, yet masculine and clean simultaneously. In line with a previous reviewer, I find Rive Gauche a more sophisticated alternative and more likely to stimulate my interest in the long term. I keep coming back to aromatic fougeres, potent yet restrained, they remind me of simpler times and give me precisely what I want from a masculine fragrance.

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

The original was a heavy-handed piece of confection, but with Intense, Dior have still decided to dumb down something that was pretty stupid to start with. A rather despondent iris and vanilla accord is magnified into something crude, cloying and unfathomable. There are countless fragrances that use vanilla and iris far more creatively that Dior have with Intense.

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

This is certainly preferable to Homme and Homme Intense, but I still see no reason to justify a full bottle purchase in this range of products. Its single note is fresh and pleasing, but after a few hours this becomes a tedious bore. No doubt including the "Sport" in the title will ensure a rich seam of sales in the under 30s demographic, but in terms of creativity, this is instantly forgettable.

pinkmimosa's avatar

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Eau d'Hadrien has risen straight to my number one and I think I could throw away all my other perfume. At first scent I was not able to recognize any ingredient, not lemon, not cypress. I could only feel a shock wave of nostalgia for something euphoric that I couldn't put my finger on, and at the same time felt the energy portrayed by the spooked horse on the Ferrari logo blaze through my body. I heard in my mind "Venus De Milo" from the A Zed and Two Noughts soundtrack by Michael Nyman. If I concentrate, I can at least place a cold gin and tonic with a side of Italian Lemon cookies in the atmosphere, but it doesn't explain the thrill by a long shot. My husband, also a Bombay Sapphire fan, loves this fragrance on me. I bought all three bottles on the shelf that day, and will hoard this as long as I can after it is discontinued, which I hope is a long way away from now.

decillisjl's avatar

Sugar by Fresh

well.... not to continue the booze associations from last night, but this smells incredibly like a lemondrop made with some highly prized russian vodka. On first sniff I thought "wow this is a pretty substantial lemon with a lot of creaminess and oomph behind it". After about three minutes I started losing my teeth and after ten I felt the onset of a diabetic coma. Underneath it all there is the slightest bit of "pledge" note, but it is masked by a monster simple syrup sillage that goes so far as to leave a viscous trail on the skin you sprayed it on. The top notes of lemon and acid dissipate rather quickly, and the heart/base (there really is no middle ground here) takes on a splenda spiked floral foundation. I don't get any vanilla, at least in the modern benzoin/extract form found in so many fragrances the last decade or so, but the floral element could very well be pod flowers before they begin to bud. The longevity, I can already tell, is going to be poor if not forgetful, but for a short ride it undergoes a pretty decent transition. I would consider this to be a warm weather only fragrance, as wearing it during the cold would not do it any justice whatsoever. If the weather is hot, the beers are cold, and the vodka has spent the last day in the freezer please break it out. Simple, yet massively capable of fulfilling its purpose.

chris8519's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Chanel Pour Monsieur instantly took me back to my high school days. This, admittedly is not very long ago (early 2000s), so what's the deal?

CPM is a clean, eloquent, chypre scent that has a light green tone to it. The opening is somewhat citrus-y, but not overpoweringly so. The dry down is muted and slow, until it settles after about an hour into its green base.
    Silage is medium, but it lasts quite a while on my skin (lightly applied 5 hours ago and can still smell it while typing this). Recommended for office wear or a day trip; definitely a summer-day scent with a right-out-of-the-shower feel.

And yet, when I put it on, I realized Nivea for Men Aftershave Cooling Balm ('menthol and vitamins' edition) is the EXACT SAME SCENT. I mean, good for Nivea for copying such an elegant, established scent. Walking around as a young teen, I unknowingly projected a classic scent that no student would ever dream of -- including myself!

Robbo1979's avatar

Hai Karate by Leeming

Okay, well in defence of this scent (seeing it has virtually ALL negative reviews), it was cheap back in the day apparently (I was too young to remember first hand though) and upon smelling it today, it is/was not too dissimilar to Brut but perhaps not quite a strong. Brut is a timeless classic no matter if you may or may not like it, and I find that this, being similar, is a pretty ok (nothing special) scent for the price.

Okay, to pick up a bottle now will cost you a small fortune on eBay and then maybe you could say it's not value for money, but judging it on it's early price and quality of scent, I'm giving it a thumbs up (albeit a borderline middle of the road thumb.)

derad's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Le Chèvrefeuille by Annick Goutal

I fell in love with it at the first sniff. Later the fragrance gets softer and round, it emanates fresh and light breeze coming from the green garden with a touch of fruit. It kind of elates and lights me up.
    I purchased it despite the feminine dedication - once it's good enough for my nose it's good enough for my maleness :)

SwimmingPlaces's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Lanvin L'Homme Sport by Lanvin

This is a wonderful fragrance. As CoL already mentioned, it's not very "sporty". I think it smells different, I think it captures the whole idea of the rest of the house of Lanvin. It's not so obvious and predictable. Unusual, but elegant and great.

Pug911's avatar

The One by Dolce & Gabbana

I bought One from Nordstrom today for 70 bucks. Couldn't find Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanilla. so had to settle for this One. The sales lady let me take a sniff (not at her), and I really like the warm and fruity note. Well, at least I will have something to compare to (vanilla frag.) if I ever found Guerlain Double Vanilla.

So Authentic's avatar

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

I love love love this cologne. I first smelled it from an empty bottle my friend owned and couldn't stop smelling the bottle. It was just wonderful. I then took a trip to Saks and sampled it and I just couldn't stop smelling myself. It was heavenly, magical and it kept putting me ina nostalgic mood which is ideal for a fragrance. If a fragrance is able to bring back fond memories of your past then trust me, that fragrance is worth being on your dresser. Chez bond didn't strike me as similar to Cool water nor GIT so I don't understand where other reviewer's comments were coming from. Maybe it's because I evaluated CB based on it's individual worth than what fragrance it reminded me of. This is by far the best of the Bond house fragrances and it is definitely my signature fragrance. I purchased a bottle just last weeks from Saks over Creed's GIT and Millesime Imperial

18 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 July, 2009)

mikey_p's avatar

Vera Wang by Vera Wang

Thoroughly cheap, nasty and hideous from every angle. I felt insulted whilst smelling this.Total garbage.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Kyoto by Comme des Garçons

A very well-made modern fragrance, the epitome of 21st century niche: incense, wood, iso-e-super, transparent, short-lived, skin scent, very light, slightly sweet base. The approach reminds me a lot of Acca Kappa's Cedro, another low-key minimalist modern fragrance (greener and woodier, though). A lot less irritating than most of what's on the market, but does not trigger the supsension of disbelief I'm looking for in perfume.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Pretty by Elizabeth Arden

I wanted to like this one, but found it to be a synthetic mess. BTW, what the heck is 'fluffy musk'?

ubuandibeme's avatar

Miss Dior Chérie L'Eau by Christian Dior

Like Asha, I find Miss Dior Cherie L'Eau more user friendly than the original! The original Miss Dior Cherie's super sweet strawberry topnotes hit my nose with such impact and brut force, I cannot enjoy the smell. The L'Eau version is far more toned, tamed, and contains only half the sugar of her older sis! Mild in character wears pleasantly and stays fresh. This one is likeable, but L'Eau isn't really a 'stand out' fragrance. In the end, maybe it could use a stronger punch of sorts.

janmeut's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

A typical marketeers perfume. Just like the description of the notes the perfume seems to be made for the people that make a quick descision and don't bother if the perfume is nothing at second smell.
    The top is not too bad, because that is the only part of this perfume that is evaluated by the potential buyer: fruit, citrus, herbal, a bit green and a bit coriander. The fruity aspect gets a bit stronger, direction melon and some floral notes from hyacinth and a generic white floral accord. Then, after about ten minutes there is only some woody, spicy scent, after some time a bit amber appears.

Maybe suitable for people that don't like perfume?

bokaba's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

Very lovely fragrance indeed although it is not very strong or long-lasting. The citrus opening is debonair and well-rounded. The middle notes are a tad animalic for my taste, but the base is musk, vanilla, and amber, which lends to a very soft, refined feel. Upon first application there is an antispetic note, possibly anise, that quickly softens and gives way to nice, elegant, and delicate fragrance. I find Monsieur Concentree to be similar to Mouchoir de Monsieur and Jicky without all the wonders of animal excrement they embody.

Deep Forest by Bogner

This is a pleasant scent. Powdery yet sweet and subtle herbs and mosses. Very green and warming. Great woody drydown.

Joseph Abboud by Joseph Abboud

This is very spicy. But not extremely spicy. It's gentle but there's a lot of it. But it is also not strong. Spices, woods and a bit of a sticky ambery drydown. I find it unique but lacking a good punch.

Carré d'As by Nicolaï

Opens up nice and citrusy but heads down the usual lane of cleanness like Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme with a touch of leather. Don't need to repeat this.

J'S Extè Man by J'S Extè

Deep, dark and robust patchouli, vanilla and woods. The opening is a tad green and floral but the drydown is long and pronounced with the aforementioned notes. Very strong.

Dolce Riso by Calé

Creamy and sweet. Very rich tonka and vanilla base. Dolce Riso is a wonderful if yet fleeting scent.

ortho123's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Wow, this one is really inoffensive! And I can spray it all over me! Just keep spraying and paying.

A neutral since a positive results in a stress fracture or even carpal tunnel syndrome. Ginger to go with your sushi.