Fragrance Reviews from July 2009

Vladdypwnz's avatar

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

The word "aquatic" is perhaps a little bit misleading. If it makes you think of open beaches in the middle of summer, fresh and refreshing sea breeze blowing your troubles away gently you may be surprised with this one. It's VERY thick and masculine. I'm not joking, it's very intense.

However, the projection on my skin is really weak. If I wore it it would be subtle to not noticeable. Unfortunate. Definitely worth a shot.

pinkfizzy's avatar

She Wood by Dsquared2

Meh. With a name like that, I was hoping it might smell like... wood. It smells to me like lemon soda and amber, kind of in a fizzy way. The drydown is light and sweet. Boring, inoffensive and wood-free. I might have liked it better if it been named more accurately, Ambre Petillante perhaps (Fizzy Amber). For a feminine wood, I like Sensuous for a light rendition, or Feminite du Bois if you want real cedar and true gorgeousness.

laral28's avatar

Happy by Clinique

Honestly this scent is for the young. I owned it when it first came out and loved it. Now it gives me a headache and makes me nauseous. It is just too sweet.

Attrape Coeur / Guet-Apens / Royal Extract by Guerlain

I was disappointed by this one. Was hoping for something smooth, sexy, warm and sophisticated, especially after some of the reviews; but on me this smells like sickly plasticky rasberry, and i do get a bit of that horse manure barnyard thing too.
    Sorry, but i think this is horrible.

Madame X by Ava Luxe

I love this one!
    Sexy, mysterious, and a tiny bit bitchy; lasts well and projects teasingly, stays quite close and hovers slightly; but never engulfing the room.
    As a bystander who catches a whiff, your emotions are stirred....What is that smell???
    Who is it????....I want to smell it again!!!......
    Sophisticated and complex, I detect musk, patchoulli, leather, amber, wood, powder, flowers and some vanilla maybe?
    I think this is a femminine frag, and I like that it's warm and a tiny bit sweet but this is balanced by the woody or leather note.
    A very attractive fragrance.
    One of my top 10

Stormtrooper by Carnival Wax - Agatha Blois

Smells exactly like melting plastic and cookies in the oven.
    Unusual, I'll give it that!
    I don't want to smell like this, but Stormtrooper is an original and very different perfume.

oakman's avatar

cK one by Calvin Klein

I used to wear this when it was first launched , and as someone said it is a 90's scent.Light,clean and fresh and caused quite a stir at the time - however now whenever I smell it ,it seems crude and basic and very cheap, a bit like washing up liquid. My partner was going to buy a bottle recently,but luckily was talked out of it !! A fragrance of its time !I'll give it a neutral rating as I used to wear it,but just seems to be unrefined and crass now !

oakman's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I really wanted to like this when it first came out , it had everything going for it ,orange,dirt ,vetiver sounded like something I would like;and I am a real fan of JCE's work and Hermes. But I felt he had dumbed down too much for the mass market appeal with this one,loved the top notes,though far too short ,then it started to turn nasty and synthetic on me,couldn't wait to wash it off,great sillage though despite the vigourous washing it stayed ! Ended up smelling like a hundred other mens scents on me !
    The SA in Hermes told me it is being launched in EdP very soon and was stunned when I told her I didn't like it !!

Beauty4Life's avatar

Denmark Denmark

Gant Summer by Gant USA

It's absolutly One of my favorit ^.^
    It's Fresh and sporty.
    My no 1 summer fragrance
    Try it - You wont regret it :o)

donna255's avatar

Northern Ireland Northern Ireland

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

I have the parfum and the edp versions of Y.

ELEGANT ELEGANT ELEGANT!!!!!!

The first opening blast I get peach and stop and think Mitsuoko. Then the moss and woods come through and Y tranforms into its own creation. I wear Y and I feel feminine and oh so lady like. Others think it is unisex but for me chypres and especially Y are just pure femininity.

iMaverick's avatar

Cialenga by Balenciaga

I got an old sample of the parfum from a generous Basenoter. The topnotes have gone off, but from what I could make of it, it starts off with aldehydes and a bright floral note, lily I think. The middle notes are spicy and of fresh florals and what I think is a bit of rose. The overall effect is a spicy, soapy, and woody green floral that reminds me a little of Hermes Caleche, although I do prefer Caleche a lot more. Despite its fresher and soapy aspects, I think its much better for one who likes to reflect their more serious side with the love of the outdoors.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Love this in the EDT (I understand the EDP is very different, but have not smelled it). It's amazing on my boyfriend, drying down to a masculine woody scent with just enough vanilla to round it out without sending it into the candy zone. He wore it tonight while we were out to dinner, and it was just right--I'd catch a slight whiff of it now and then--perfect sillage. Wonderful masculine evening scent.

scentsitivity's avatar

U by Ungaro for Him by Ungaro

A fruity-citrus opening with a mild woody, slightly sweet drydown. Not remarkable, but at its price point a good value for a younger man.

scentsitivity's avatar

Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès

Bright, realistic grapefruit that is a pleasure to smell. Supported by a rhubarb note that compliments it well. Rose? Yes, it is there, but not in a prominent role. Perhaps it would be better called Eau de Pamplemousse or Eau de Pamplemousse Rhubarb. Regardless, very pleasant to wear. I get better than expected longevity, albeit close to the skin. Definitely has merit and one I will consider getting if I can get at a reasonable price.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Mandarine Mandarin by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

First of all, a word of caution to others - do not trust the wax sample interpretation of this fragrance! Sample first, sample first, sample first. I was warned, but it still came as quite a shock how different the actual juice is.

The top note is an oddly flat satsuma note. It's difficult to explain, but it's as though all the effervescence and tang inherent to citrus has been squeezed out, leaving an almost sombre mandarin. ( I, too, have soap associations with this smell; it reminds me of certain dish- and hand-soaps with a satsuma scent. This fragrance is not at all soapy to my nose, though; it's just a very similar fragrance note. ) Slowly a warm spiciness starts to creep in, and the top note takes on a strangely savory character; doughy and fruitier and almost... like ketchup. As the spiciness develops so does a floral aspect, in what smells like a collision between the aforementioned satsuma, celery seed, immortelle, and another Serge Lutens fragrance, Fleurs d'Oranger ( i.e. orange flower, jasmine, and tuberose ). This core is the most beautiful and interesting stage to me. Gradually - very gradually - this mix fades into a sweet, musky, animalic, slightly ambery base; very subtle and not smoky or "dark" to my nose.

One of the unique qualities of this fragrance is an ultra-slow development, which I've heard of, but haven't experienced elsewhere. It seems to slowly go through numerous stages, a different facet of its character emerging here and there.

The biggest flaw I find with Mandarine Mandarin is that is has the most minimal sillage I have ever encountered. It's as though after the first half an hour, the fragrance disappears into the skin. I can only smell it by pressing my nose to my skin, making it useless as a personal fragrance for me. I've never had this problem with any other Lutens; and it seems it others don't share this experience. The longevity is otherwise fine.

Gossamer's avatar

Crystal Noir by Versace

I stumbled across this particular scent only because it happened to be next to the Burberry I'd originally gone in to test. I was looking for a more grown-up, sensual scent, so of course the dark bottle struck me. On a whim, I sprayed some on and was very glad I did. The top notes are very in-your face: an oriental sort of floral, gardenia and clove were the two that stuck out to me the most. As it started to cool down, it started to smell more and more like wine. Very rich, very sophisticated, and long lasting (I could still smell it faintly on my wrist the morning after.) I haven't decided yet whether to buy a bottle, since I was hoping for something a little less floral, a little more spice, but it's definitely made the short list!

ortho123's avatar

Happy for Men by Clinique

Great scent for those who end declarative statements with the inflection of a question. Sweet fans rejoice. Based on the concept that smelling an actual orange sliced in half is uplifting. The King of Inoffensive or maybe the Prince. Neutral in the Grand Style.

bbBD's avatar

Eau Fraîche by Christian Dior

A 'lost' Roudnitska classic that deserves to be better known. What it is it? Pretty much the most luscious, full citrus composed of so many different citrus notes so that it sweet, sour, dry, and fruity all at once.. It has all of these characteristics simulateously - without any one dominating - because it is so well balanced. The best way to apply is to take about 3-4ml, or more, and just douse yourself with it. You will enjoy citrus as it envelops you in it's aroma for about 45 minutes. Sadly Eau Fraiche vanishes in about an hour, perhaps a little more depending on your skin and the weather. Regardless it's a wonderful hour and I never mind re-applying thoughout the days I wear it, or alternatively I wear it when I don't need an all day fragrance but rather just a refreshing zap of citrus.

As with many fragrances of historic vintage these days, there seems to have been a reformulation sometime recently. The current version is still a nice citrus, but the vintage version just explodes and radiates off the skin like nothing else. It's worth looking around for a vintage bottle; I bought a vintage 220ml bottle for under $30. Now I can splash on with reckless abandon without worrying about running out. Citrus joy!

26 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th August, 2009)

JonB's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

The only thing I like about this fragrance are the topnotes. After that I find nothing I particularly like. The heart florals are not attractive to me, and the base I find harsh. I also have to say that I definitely find this quite dated, and I don't say this about many fragrances. Thumbs down.

26 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 October, 2009)

rinosaur's avatar

Benetroessere Resort by Etro

After the opening, this reminds me alot of Chanel Allure Homme Sport. Its a very sporty fragrance that has a heavy (but not piercing) citrus opening, then it goes to a floral, similar to Platinum Egoiste. It doesn't smell synthetic at all to me, a somewhat classic style fragrance. Beautiful, but having Platinum Egoiste already, I don't feel a need for a very similar masculine floral anymore. I find on the web that this is marketed as a woman's perfume, I find that rediculous. This isn't very expensive either: a 150ml goes for around 40 online, even less for testers.

archibald's avatar

Le Vetyver by Lubin

While I like this better than everbody else so far, and especially enjoyed the clove/nutmeg accord singing the baritone part during the middle section, I can't think of a reason why anyone would buy this instead of GV, except if they like a little less vetiver in their vetiver.

Hugo Deep Red by Hugo Boss

A wet and juicy opening that feels excessively sweet, is followed by a much more wearable phase. It dries down into a smooth, wood and vanilla paste that avoids being too cloying. Eminantly usable in all but the warmest weathers, and one of the better offerings from this underachieving company.

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

There are slightly more things to like than dislike about Boss Bottled, but I am never going to be a great fan. The slightly synthetic, sweetened opening is adequate if a little unengaging. The saving grace is the base, providing a fragrant version of woody elements to savour.On balance, this is a satisfactory attempt by Boss, just not quite worthy of that cigar.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

Any chance that there was a decent fragance in here trying to get out is extinguished by the synthetic garnish with which it is served. There are moments when I think that it has escaped its chemical shackles, but they never last for long. This is something that could have been designed by commitee, as it lacks the creative charm required to make this lovable. This is green, synthetic and monotonous.

Hugo XY by Hugo Boss

Clear evidence if any was needed that Hugo Boss have completely lost the plot. This represents a sequence of impotent notes strung together to achieve the complexity and nuance of a public convenience soap. At no stage does X & Y have the courage to afford the wearer anything to be proud of, or indeed anything noteworthy to discern whatsoever. It disappeared from my skin with some haste, perhaps out of shame for being so mediocre.

adonis's avatar

Rose 31 by Le Labo

Magnificent stuff. The cedary drydown is lovely. Can't wait for morning to roll around so I can apply it again. Giant thumbs up on this one.

whitemonkey's avatar

Chrome by Azzaro

For what it's worth, and to my chagrin, Chrome gets the most compliments.

Chypriot's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I dont usually tend to like powdery fragrances but love Infusion d'Iris. I think its the softness combined with the chypre base that has me hooked. Plus it has good longevity and sillage, which is great given that a lot of fragrances tend to die prematurely on my skin.

Chypriot's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Infusion de Fleur d'Oranger by Prada

I liked this fragrance well enough while it lasted. Nice and fresh and not sweet at all. It seems to have a similar base to Infusion dÍris. I prefer Infusion d'Iris as it has more character, body, projection and considerably more longevity.

somnambulist07's avatar

Wales Wales

CK In 2 U Him HEAT by Calvin Klein

This is a great summer scent! It has a freshly squeezed pear juice smell in the opening and is light and airy. It's citrusy and refreshing. The longevity is very good for a summer scent. Very nice fragrance!