Fragrance Reviews from July 2009

DietBakingSoda's avatar

British Sterling by Dana

This is perhaps my favorite aftershave, a pleasant suprise from a blind-buy made in the clearence aisle at a Wal-Mart. It's sort of floral, with a verdent/spicy base, but dries down predominantly soapy (in a rather good way, mind).

I liked it enough to buy an adorably small bottle of the cologne, which I proceeded to spill onto my pantleg. Thankfully, it's a pleasing smell to me, and not very powerful, so I did not have to spend the evening in tears or pantsless.

So then, if I seem to like it so much, why the neutral rating? Well, because to me it smells like a confused knockoff of the infamous Brut. In fact, on my skin it smells so much like Brut that someone could switch bottles on me and I'd likely never notice.

All in all it's fine for an aftershave. Perhaps wearable to work as a cologne. It's safe, and might be a nice alternative to Old Spice or other everyday mass-market frags.

DietBakingSoda's avatar

OS Signature by Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

This has been remarkably hard for me to track down in my area, which that made me rather hastily snag it when I happened uppon it in a CVS pharmacy on the richer side of town. I'm rather sorry I did.

I have a cursed skin chemistry, it seems, as any and all fragrances that might break down into unpleasant smells always do for me. This one took longer than most, maybe half an hour, before degrading into a burning ziploc bag...

The problem is that it doesn't smell to me anything like what the above pyramid describes. After the (rather uninteresting, but not unpleasant) blast of random florals I got a very interesting combination of CURRY SPICES. Not pine, ceadarwood, musk, but instead a very distinct corriander, cumin, and the like. If that's what it was meant to smell like, then bravo - very dry, dusty, and delightfully odd.

Grunts67's avatar

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Guerlain homme isn't a fabulous nor a desatrous fragrance. This parfume is just really mainstream and simple which isn't bad but many other fragrance can do the same job for less expansive. Also, I found this fragrance to be aim at a more mature crowds. At 25, I do feel like this smell too old on me. I might recommand it to a 40+ men but not for a 25 years old, like myself.

I gave a neutral thumb because isn't a bad fragrance but isn't amazing, specially for a vetiver and for Guerlain. You will not offend anybody with this one. Make sure you look into different Vetiver since, IMO, there's a lot better option open to you.

alprazolam's avatar

Poland Poland

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

When you have worked all day, really hard, really physical, and you get sweaty and grimey. It's a hot day, and when you get home you get into the shower and let it run on you, washing with your favorite soap, and your hair, too. And then you face up to the spitgot and let a cooler water run on you and you feel and smell fabulous. If you want to get or maintain that wonderful smell, then use this Mugler. It is an amazing clean and just showered scent. In fact, I think the secrect S ingrediant is a 'shower'.

I totally agree with that. top notes are feminine, middle is soapy but what really matters is that pleasant musk base note - it lasts very long, staying close to skin and it is very comfy.

Overall it's great for a hot summer day, wouldn't bought it for myself through but since I got a bottle as a gift gonna use it for some time:) also, I got it from a person who generally dislikes most fragrances so i guess what 'basenote says' on the scent main page is pretty true:]

Silk's avatar

Cannabis Santal by Fresh

Ok, I don't smell any cannabis here, which is probably a good thing. It opens with candy-sweet bergamot, mixed with the slight smell of orange peels and rose petals, it then moves on to a chocolate under-tone with vanilla on top of that and a slight patchouli stench. I gave this to my dad for christmas and he didn't like the patchouli, so he returned the scent. I however, don't find this patchouli to be offensive and I feel like it blends perfectly with the other notes to accomplish this mysterious cannabis-like aroma. Great unisex scent that would be perfect for spring days.

TeenSpirit's avatar

Live Luxe by Jennifer Lopez

As a new member and analyst of perfume, it is still hard for me to learn the lingo. At this stage, I prescribe to my theory of "I like what I like". And as someone who goes into a perfume store and spends hours happily sniffing without confusion, I can truly say I like this one alot. The first time I smelled it, I thought "it smells like ME". Then when I saw it was a JLo product, I said "aw no way.....I have nothing in common w/Jenny from the block". And yet, when I wear it, I always am asked what I am wearing because it works on my chemistry. It may not be for everyone, but if you like a fruity, fresh scent, it may be good for you also. Let me warn you it is strong, and a little does go a long way.

Stan Smith's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

|----UNDER CONSTRUCTION----|
    Very subtle and non intrusive, interesting balance of citrus, champagne and "ocean" note. Gets a lot of complements from ladies.
    |----UNDER CONSTRUCTION----|

tess dwyer's avatar

LouLou by Cacharel

I brought Lou Lou for my 24th birthday this year and love it. I'm a huge fan of sexy orientals that have a different personality to the overwhelming amount of celeb fragrances as they all smell the same. Lou Lou reminds me of a winter's night by the fire very sharp and smoky and mysterious the cinnamon is to die for. Then after a while the scent lingers on and reminds me of antique books,it's good to wear day or night as it's not an overbearing scent, very sexy.

CoL's avatar

Essence by Narciso Rodriguez

Well following For Her is a difficult task IMO, but this is not three bad! Very well made, obviously has high quality oils, fair amount of naturals too me thinks! (well you would hope so coming from Shiesedo) Lighter and more feminine than For Her, more powdery but dries down to that familiar musk. Easy to dismiss at first sniff but give it time for the musk to warm to the skin and its really rather lovely!

Bijan by Bijan

I think that I derive my appreciation for Bijan from the surprise it causes that it isn’t an over the top, obnoxiously loud super-‘80s bomb as its male counterpart might be labeled. It is a pleasant, rather soft, amber Oriental that is probably too powdery for today’s tastes. More than a few times I have complimented a woman on her fragrance only to be told that it was Bijan. I think it is the kind of fragrance that is appreciated more from the sillage it produces than from direct smelling of the accords on paper or on the skin. This is the type of fragrance that must be applied discreetly – too much is definitely too much, so apply with a subtle hand,

Venezia (original) by Long Lost Perfume

Venezia is a pretty scent – basically floral with a significant green element and a fairly somewhat important representation of fruity notes. It’s main attraction, I think, is that it is refreshing. It opens with a citrus / fruit accord that is well-done but fairly generic… the red current is a restraining element that tempers the freshness of the citrus and the strong floral texture. In spite of the violet leaf (an annoying note to me) I appreciate the green aspects of the scent a bit more than the floral, because some of the choices of florals are synthetically disagreeable to me. The “waterlily” is an offender – I usually don't like the note wherever it was presented, and this one is about as attractive to me as the water lily notes in several other fragrances. The fruity note in the middle level is pleasant, and the sandalwood supposed to be in the base is almost non-existent. I don’t determine much of a base at all. Venzia is fresh; it has an acceptable sillage, and it is not a long lasting fragrance.

Néroli by Annick Goutal

Annick Goutal’s Néroli is an unusual neroli because of its extreme lightness and clarity: It is not a pure neroli but a refined, bouquet that includes other flowers and a definite green note that is most apparent immediately upon application. The opening has a somewhat strong presence at first but soon dissolves into a quite subtle and clear neroli / floral / green accord. The neroli dominates, of course, and is presented with more delicacy than I have experienced in most other neroli fragrances. Since it’s an Annick Goutal fragrance, its lack of longevity is a given, but this one carries that unlucky aspect to an extreme: It is very, very short lasting: A lovely feminine fragrance that could use much better longevity. (Edit of 27 July 2009 review.)

27 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2009)

3121 by Prince

I really don’t know what to make of this one. I’ve been experiencing it in a couple of different ways: In a certain sense I rather like it and enjoy its uniqueness and consider it abstractly creative to an extent. In the other sense, it is just too chaotic and I really have difficulty wrapping my mind about it. It’s takes the extroverted tuberose and distills it down to a mere blip on the radar. It plays with a couple versions of a woody ambiance and after experimenting, does nothing – it goes nowhere and I don’t think it ever intended to go anyplace else. It shifts between feminine and masculine and it shifts between darkly serious and insipid. It inhabits the edge of acceptance, but it is unfussily wearable. One sure thing I can say about it is that it is unique.

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

This is for a review of the parfum. I think think Dior was trying to aim at creating something unusual, but without trying to go over the edge.

The opening caught me by surprise. Screechy, bright, and almost blinding. Bright florals are married with some spicy and powdery notes and aldehydes. It doesn't last too long when it moves into something much more alluring. This part of the composition reminds me a lot of Vol de Nuit or Mitsouko, but not as warm and not as spicy as Mitsouko. The base of the scent emerges pretty quickly with notes of oakmoss and vetiver. The overall effect after its opening is soft and lasts a very long time.

To add "Miss" to the title of the scent probably gives an impression of what youth is all about to Dior which is probably to capture youth's ability to dare and be audacious, and to be different, all without going over the unsaid boundaries of being demure of the time.

Its birth is from a design house, but it now has the characteristic of a niche scent--unusual, not overly complex and doesn't try to overdo. Hearty thumbs up!

Dioressence by Christian Dior

I remember owning samples of this back in the 80s of the EdT. The opening notes were bright and sparkling, that developed into a spicy powdery and floral scent with a woody base of oakmoss.

Flash forward a couple of decades and I've had the luck of owning the parfum, which is much warmer and remarkably different. The EdT is basically fresh, with warm spicy and powdery tones. The parfum is warm and spicy, and in a way reminds me a lot of Opium, but not as overt and smoother. The opening is aldehydic and ambery, sensuous from the start. The heart is spicy with smooth florals with a recognizable note of rose and powdery notes of iris. The base is sensuous and woody with oakmoss and musk. To compare it with a mens scent (yes, guys, you can wear the parfum too), I would say it's much like JHL, but much more interesting.

Try the parfum, you might definitely change your mind for those who didn't really care much about the EdT.

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

When I first tried Vol de Nuit, it was from a fairly recent bottle of the EdT, the ones in the gold box with the words Vol de Nuit in white with a black background.

Smelling Vol de Nuit, I knew that I would be a fan of the galbanum note forever, with its scent of bright stemmy greens.

The EdT is very soft and hardly detectable if you don't have much of a body temperature. You need to be very warm in order for the scent to project. It is also powdery with iris, and complemented with woody notes of oakmoss and vetiver.

I had a hard time smelling the EdT, and it seemed to not last very long on me. In a way it did smell like a Guerlain, but it didn't seem to have the boldness and warmth of a Guerlain.

A few years later, I finally own the parfum after being so discouraged by the EdT. The lightbulb went on! It is warm from the get go but doesn't sacrifice the greeness of the galbanum, and you can definitely smell Guerlain's signature vanilla. The parfum is poetry! It is still soft, but at least it is more noticeable. I'm in love again with Vol de Nuit!

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

CerrutiSí by Cerruti

Not bad, but slightly to sweet for my taste. The fleshy, animalic notes also found in Cerutti 1881 Amber are even more pronounced in this one. There's something about the spiciness of this frag that is a bit overdone to me. All in all, the overall impression is not an unpleasant one, yet something in this just seems not to "click" together with my fragrance taste.

27 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 July, 2009)

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Jil Sander Man by Jil Sander

Exquisite, but as with all Jil Sander frags, the lasting power comes off as a bit short and it would have been if it lasted longer, because the notes are just stunning. Discreet, elegant, clean cut yet with a slight, not overpowering touch of sweetness, quite a few classy leathery and smoky touches too, mingled with a certain showery freshness. This has truly some serious cult classic potential, if they could only make this one more long-lasting. Modern yet timeless at a time, doing this effortlessly and impressing through a very puristic and minimalistic sort of elegance. I never thought I would love any Jill Sander frag, but I was proven wrong, since now I've found something close to pure bliss (of only the strength of the fragrance notes would render me even more blissful...).

27 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 July, 2009)

Quarry's avatar

No. 18 by Chanel

No. 18, a scent of mixed directions, deserving of mixed metaphors. At the start, it's pure chemical laboratory, in the classy way Chanel stirs up synthetics. In a few minutes, brisk, fresh leaves unfurl from a branch of the same tree where Bel Respiro sprouts more distinctively. In a short time, 18's leaves die and fall into a nondescript rose garden. I feel I understand the intent of the composition and wish it could have nailed the synthetics/green leaves/roses concept a little better cuz I like the idea.

P.S.
    I hadn't noticed the cumin note until Ubu mentioned it. Yup. Now it's so obvious. So, the horizontal thumb is tilted slightly more downward.

bmichlig's avatar

Misha by Mikhail Baryshnikov

This scent is exactly an olfactory snapshot of a specific moment in time for me. I chose this after separating from my then-husband. I sniffed this on the display counter in the Emporium at Stanford Shopping Center in late 1989 or early 1990 - it was tucked on the far aisle across from the little Juniors department - totally out of the way. To me the scent evoked sophistication, sex, elegance, mystery...I couldn't pinpoint the elements back then, now I believe it has a heart of gardenia. But on me what mostly rose was sandalwood and incense and something spicy like clove. It was rich, sexy, round, amber in color, like heavyweight silk satin in feel. I spent years looking for a replacement for this, never to find one that completed me as Misha did.

I broke down an purchased some edt for a fairly hefty price - it has elements of what I remember from the original, but isn't quite the same. Time changes things, probably mostly it has changed me.

scentsitivity's avatar

Baïmé by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I definitely get the salad dressing accord that others describe in Baime. It’s an herb-centered fragrance that I consider to be an acquired taste. Eventually it turns a bit sour on my skin. Perhaps it may work for someone else, but not for me.

eRL00p's avatar

Casual Friday by Escada

I tested this out yesterday at the mall. It is WONDERFUL!
    if you love Diesel Fuel For Life, or Polo Double Black, this scent is for you. It is like the two combined. It really reminds me of Australian soft licorice. they only had the aftershave for $38, so I did not buy it. I am going to be keeping an eye out for this in stores.

It is a very soft and full bodied fragrance. I assume it is great for winter wear; the light crisp December air should only make this more delicious. Both my bottles of Diesel FFL have run out-- it was my everyday winter scent and worked so well with the outside air. I may end up buying the aftershave considering the only thing holding the diesel cologne back from being my scent of choice was it does not come in an aftershave version. I wonder how well the two pair together~

SirSlarty's avatar

Tiberius by Star Trek

Peppery musk, you won't get over the fact how awesome you'll smell!

ortho123's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Aromatherapy? Aromatorture. Not part of the "cult." This is for me gourmand minus much real comfort with a clear option for the presentational. Here's the chocolate, here's the coffee, maybe some mint and the old standby of lavander to lift your spirits? Did you catch the patchouli? Like coming down from a sugar high, ultimately "brooding," depressing.

Aznavour's avatar

Perfect Nectar by Creative Scentualization

Smells more like fruit-in-a-can than actual fruit, and I have no idea which specific fruit, drowned as it is in syrup. Starts off quite strong and megafruity, stays strong for about an hour, and then weirdly and suddenly collapses into wispy musk. And I mean collapses -- it almost completely disappears.

I was hoping for a sense of decadent, acidic sweetness but it's really just a bit chemical.

kess's avatar

Amber Vanilla by Regina Harris

To me, this is more "Musk Vanilla" than Amber Vanilla. So don't expect a lot of amber, this is more about a sweet musk scent. Extremely concentrated and only the tiniest amount is needed to know you are wearing it. Dries down to more musk. Could probably be worn by both genders, even though it's classified as feminine in the directory.

djolney's avatar

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Nice aspects, but they don’t add up to anything much.

The citrus opening is big and brash, but it doesn’t really go anywhere. It is neither gritty like the opening of Givenchy Gentleman, nor suave like the opening of Boucheron pour Homme, and, unlike these two fragrances, the citrus in ApH doesn’t herald anything majestic or memorable to come.

The heart of clove and sandalwood that emerges is pretty, but it is soft and doesn’t last.

The oak moss gives the base an almost masculine feel, but it is so tame that the masculinity seems to have been robbed away.

The sillage and longevity are not what they ought to be.

Arpeggiator's avatar

Germany Germany

Blu Mediterraneo Mirto di Panarea by Acqua di Parma

Another citrus summer scent?
    Yes, but not a usual one!
    It starts with a beautiful green in a citrus accord. Very fresh and not too pungent.
    The middle notes are only weakly floral and dominated by the blackcurrant leaves and the myrtle.
    They give it a spicy-fresh base.
    One could consider it as a unisex scent, although I would say it better suits a woman than a man.
    It's a very uncomplicated scent and the ingredients seem to be of very good quality and of natural origin.
    Use it as an aromatherapy if you are in a bad mood, it will blow your depression away!

Unfortunately there is one big point of criticism:
    MdP has a very poor longelivety. It's not a "whole-day" scent. Perhaps you can apply it for a 2-3 hours trip, or
    you take the bottle with you and apply it every 3 hours. It's definitely too short for a middle-price fragrance.
    What a pity!
    (6/10)

Bartlebooth's avatar

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

A beautifully crafted fragrance that remains the stand out mens production under the Chanel banner. From the bitter-sweet opening to the edgy dry middle notes, the experience is an excellent balance of well formulated accords. The base is stunning, providing a potency and longevity that is all that one would hope for in a fragrance of this class.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

An astonishingly potent and saccherine fragrance that is one of the easiest to discern in any crowd. It's about as subtle as a rugby club stag party, and lacks any intricacy, nuance or finesse. This Hiroshima grade candied cinnamon is quite something to behold, and it dominates to a degree that makes Joop Homme a hostile piece of apparatus to engage. Use this fragrance as Ground Zero, and quickly realise that anything else is an improvement.