Fragrance Reviews from July 2009

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Fahrenheit Absolute by Christian Dior

Only the top notes and some of the amber notes reminds me of the classic Fahrenheit. Otherwise you get that perfectly agreable musky-woody aftershave smell you also find in Liz Claiborne colognes, but with added spicyness. This is oud for people who don't like oud.

It's darker than the original but not as daring.

30th July, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 August, 2009)

CoL's avatar

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

Well this was a surprise! Deep dark warm insencey wood! Well done too, kinda along the lines of Gucci PH me thinks! Much cheapness too!

iMaverick's avatar

Halle by Halle Berry

I thought I would be killed by its fig note, but it actually smelled very pleasing. It is probably the mimosa that keeps it from being too too much. Warm, smooth, and bright without being cloying, with a slight touch of green in the beginning. The base is woody, understated and still smooth to keep it from smelling overly masculine. Pretty good composition! Lasts longer than your average celeb spray and fizzle fragrances.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

This is a strange scent because it is something right in between Montales Soleil de Capri and Paco Rabannes Black XS (for Men).
    Now, I have never thought Soleil de Capri and Black XS have anything in common – anything at all – and in fact I still don’t, but oddly this is the exact crossroad between these two scents.
    It has more in common with Black XS, though. (Especially in the dry down)

I get a crystal clear strawberry note in the beginning which is engaged with that apple note. I am not sure if this scent actually has a strawberry ingredient to it, or is it some sort of accord, but I smell strawberry very easily.

Fresh, fruity, clean and very compelling. I love the crisp musky undertones in this. During the dry down Light Blue develops some green nuances (Granny Smith indeed comes to mind at this point) with the subtle almond-y smell in the distance. Very tasty.

Like I said this reminds me of Soleil de Capri (same kind of combo of juicy citruses, white flowers and white musks) and Black XS (strawberry with woods and amber).
    Anyone (no matter whether you’re man or woman) who likes LB should checkout those two fragrances too because while these scents are similar there are still some distinctive differences as well.

Black XS smells exactly like more masculine version of LB; it is slightly more dark and edgy with the notable patchouli note.

Light Blue can easily be worn by men, but to my nose it still leans clearly more towards feminine side.

This is a modern classic.

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

EdT. (New formulation)

I must admit that I am not the biggest fan of this. It is something that I don’t need in a sense or another.
    Well engineered aldehydic rose with crisp green balsamic/mossy undertones. Overly feminine with very much lady-like feel. It smells quite old yet I wouldn’t call it dated.
    It has a slight bit of animalic feel to it for sometime. The smell after many hours after application is very “make-up-like”. Perhaps it reminds me of the smell of lipstick or face powder, I am not quite certain of that.

Not terribly bad and actually on a right person it might be quite capturing.
    The bottle design is a bullseye.

Bois de Violette by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Well, isn’t this yet another very VERY familiar Lutens. Of course, one of the very first scents from this house.

Very recognizable and expected Sheldrake creation. Many other scents made by this man come immediately to mind, starting from Feminite du Bois…
    Honeyed and creamy plumy woods placed under a candied bouquet of violets.

Quite simple as that and it is pretty damn nice. Non-complicated sweet and crisp woody oriental goodness all the way through.
    Thumbs up easily although this is not full bottle worthy to me, not the least because I think this scent is more fitting for women. (Although it is unisex and recommended for men at least to try, obviously.) Also, I personally like even more scents from this house that has that certain type of edge which is lacking from this…

Beautiful fragrance that is very practical and easy to wear but not boring at all.
    4 stars as far as Pigeon is concerned.

Bois Oriental by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Yet another scent from Lutens (Sheldrake) that resemblances many other scents from this house, especially speaking of this early nineties era.
    It is not a bad scent but, you really don’t need to own this if you already have some other specific scent in your collection. ( Feminite du Bois and its other relatives)
    Semi sweet honeyed fruity woods with subtle spiciness sum it up quickly and pretty nicely.

It has a lot of understated beauty, but whether it is full bottle worthy you find out yourself. For me personally there are better ways to spend this much amount of cash…

Iris Bleu Gris by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Very bitter green opening settles down soon for a terrific, aromatic composition.

Iris is very smoothly blended here; it has a creamy and subtle scent here. In fact, I wouldn’t say this is exactly a “iris scent” because it isn’t that prominent at all ( like no other note either).

IBG is just perfectly balanced story of that iris root, vanilla, moss and musk. It smells very vintage without having any dated tone to it.
    Earthy and ever so slightly soapy fragrance which, to me, smells very ethereal and dreamy, like the colour of blue and grey indeed.

This would make a fantastic masculine companion to L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain.

Highly recommended even if you are not a biggest fan of iris (just like me).

Jules by Christian Dior

Weird scent in category-wise : In times it smells so obviously fougere, but then it has some shades that are so common for typical chypre leather/wood fragrances of the eighties.

I don’t like it that much. I wonder if some people would either if this wasn’t Dior and that exclusive-like…

I feel slightly foolish not being able to put my finger on it precisely why I feel so strongly that Jules hasn’t kept time nearly as well as some of its relatives that I actually like, but to me it smells somewhat thin and also very generic. And yes, in some specific ways it also smells very old and dated. It smells a lot like some cheap chypre classic for men from years behind.
    Somewhat animalic yes, but in that matter this shouldn’t be too hard to handle for anyone.

I see this mainly as a gem for some funny men who require that certain masculinity out of fragrance. Also, for some kind of snobs perhaps as well as for people who thinks it is impossible to disagree with Mr. Luca Turin.
    Perhaps for the rest of us this is just a mediocre and dated remain from the past that could retire from the word of fragrances – for good. At least I wouldn’t mind.

L'Essence de Déclaration by Cartier

To me, this is a perfect scent.

It is not my number one favourite fragrance of all times, but there is only few other fragrances in which I feel equally comfortable and good. Declaration Essence really is a match made in heaven with my personality and desire.
    Fresh and warm, an outstanding pleasure to wear. Cardamom is obviously a starring note in this. Together with slightly smoky woods, waxy green tone and traces of fresh citrus fruits it makes a brilliant and flawlessly blended composition.

Like with the original Declaration, I get this pulla smell out of it very clearly; it really does smell like a plate full of pullas was about ready to be served freshly from the oven. (Pulla is a traditional Finnish cinnamon bun-like pastry that has a good doze of cardamom in it)

When doing a side by side test with this and the regular one, it is easy to see some small differences, although after all they are very similar, especially when it comes to sillage. (When smelled more closely they differ more, but they really put out quite similar smelling sillage) I really don’t understand if someone likes about other one but detests other version. It really would be odd because eventually they are so close to each other.
    The main difference is in structure: Essence version is way much more full-bodied and smooth as the original juice is quite much sharper with its cardamom/caraway/citrus edge.

If you already have the regular and not that this Essence one (or vice versa), then I can warmly recommend for you to get them both. Although they are siblings, the differences in shades make that much of a difference that it is easy to justify the purchase. In fact, I think these two different takes on Declaration belongs together in the same wardrobe. They are very enjoyable to layer with each other, too.

What a wonderful creation, this.

La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This one is bizarre, complex creation. I like it, but I have no desire to wear it myself just because I think it is very feminine scent. Serge Lutens doesn’t usually use those gender categories, and that’s fine, but if he actually did I think this should have a female sign to it.

La Myrrhe obviously has a good doze of aldehydes in the mix. They are very prominent especially in the beginning at the time when they are engaged mainly with mandarins, flowers and couple of drops of bitter almond oil.
    Fairly soon as the dry down kicks in the smell of La Myrrhe is strikingly similar to some specific sweets: Those liquorice bits with pink/purple filling. I have heard that some specific types of myrrh can create a little bit liquorice-like smell, and so I suppose that’s where it’s coming from here. Or does La Myrrhe actually have some anise seed oil in it..? Go figure. But it smells in times very liquorice-like, it is impossible for anyone to deny that.

The base is very smooth blend of honeyed flowers which creates a fresh fruity tone and a subtle hint of luminously resinous, still a bit liquorice-like myrrh.
    In the late hours (about 6-7 hours after application) this smells more and more floral and perhaps a tad soapy too.

Copper coloured juice of La Myrrhe looks very beautiful.

Recommended, but basically only for the females.

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

I do enjoy this very much: It is extremely aromatic, natural smelling. Balance is excellent, its very timelessly masculine and most importantly; the smell is very compelling.

Fresh tobacco leaves with green tea creates a wonderful, forest-like smell to it. I can imagine myself walking down the path in the woods; there is gentle breeze that carries whiffs of smell from the lake nearby.

Vintage Tabarome really does glue my nose to my wrist. This has slight similarities to Aramis Havana but the fact is that this is much better.
    Behind the bitter green and slightly smoky smell there is an odd and completely intriguing nuance which I would call freshly balsamic medicinal; this tone smells somehow very luminous and mysterious. It is magic I say, magic.

I don’t think this is musty nor dated by any means. To me it is timeless, fresh, aromatic masculine. Perhaps minimalistic in ingredient wise, but it smells very rich and nuanced. Very easy to wear even in casual occasions.
    If I should have to categorize this scent, it definitely would be a Fougere scent. Rich, aromatic fougere.

I haven’t been a Creed fan during the time of my hobby of fragrance, but Vintage Tabarome brings me down to my knees.

I read from somewhere that this Vintage Tabarome (Tabarome Private Collection) has been discontinued already in sometime ago; they said it was February 2009 when it was stopped from being made. I am not completely sure if this is the case for real, but it really might be true.
    Vintage Tabarome is quite a treasure.

Un Bois de Sépia by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Hmmm….It is extremely familiar scent, but as I wrote this I just couldn’t get it in my head what was that kissing cousin scent I was thinking about, even when I scratched my head until it almost bled… (Was it Basala by Shiseido or perhaps something else..??)

Very aromatic dry peppery woods with burnt sugar like tone to it. It burns my nostrils ever so slightly; it is that edgy and sharp.

Quite nice, but would I be silly enough to pay required amount of money of this..?

Vetiver by Etro

At first Etro Vetiver takes me straight to the big warm forest at summertime; it really has almost hauntingly beautiful forest-like smell to it. It smells green, earthy, woody, smoky, bitter/salty and a bit of a dirty as well.
    At one point it reminds me of the way barbeque crisps smell.
    After few hours have past, Vetiver creates this interesting smell that brings candle wax to my mind. Warm candle wax.

After reading some reviews and comments on the forum, it came as a huge surprise for me to try this scent out for the first time….I mean, I was expecting something really raw, sharp and strong, but that is not the case with this scent even for starters, at least not for me.
    Etro Vetiver is very subtle (almost weak) in sillage wise, it isn’t pungent at all, and it is extremely easy to wear. It smells very natural in a most gentle way.
    Etro Vetiver is a piece of cake comparing to Route du Vetiver (MPG).
    I do find the lasting power a tad disappointing. Probably just because this is the kind of scent that I would love to see linger on forever, and ever, and ever….

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Its brilliant and I am not surprised of all the positive reviews. I am more surprised to see any negative or even neutral ratings on this because it is that likeable and easily accessible.

To my mind there are four major ingredients to this scent: Vetiver, myrrh, sandalwood and musk.

VE is rich and smooth with perfect balance. Oily, smoky, medicinal and resinous-spicy. Very natural smelling with soft and warm edge.

Easy-to-wear masculine juice that is extremely pleasant and luxurious.

This is what niche fragrances are all about. Expensive but well worth it.

Should probably last a bit longer, to be honest. It is fading fairly fast although the lasting power is not exactly a total disaster.

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

To me, complete waste of time and money.

Light oriental with fresh balsamic structure. Nothing especially masculine here, could easily be worn by women if they like. The smell reminds me of some cheap subtly scented lotion.

Utterly boring simple blend that is extremely vague to my nose. It is smooth and well balanced I admit that, but without any depth or vividness and most importantly; the actual aroma has not a single compelling nuance to it whatsoever. Just a big massive *bleh.*

It is hard for me to see how anyone with exciting taste could be intrigued by this, really. That’s why it has been a bit confusing to read some of the reviews, because there are one or two people showing their thumbs up; one or two people whose taste I have always been keen to.

I presume there is a slight chance that this would grow a bit on me if I tested it more, but it would never be worth the full bottle at all.

And after all, I am NOT even interested in testing this anymore. We have met enough times in this life.

This is not the worst fragrance in the world naturally, but the thing is that I could easily name 500 fragrances for me personally that I find more interesting than this, and by the way, that list would include Prada Intense (Women) that is also very much wearable by men…

Heliotrope by Etro

If you think about it, this one holds inside of its smell twice as much rubber and vanilla powder than Bvlgari Black. It’s true.

Apart from this obviously unintentional vanilla powder / warm rubber accord I smell loads of marzipan-ish almonds, plastic-like flowers, and lots and LOTS of sweet fiery balsams.

Heliotrope gives an impression of being simple yet rich, slightly twisted gourmand. I think it’s very feminine and suitable basically only for the ladies but feel free to disagree with this opinion….

Osmanthus by Ormonde Jayne

I honestly don’t have anything special to say about this fragrance. It is very subtle, sort of pretty scent that is unfortunately very vague too; very boring I should say. And after all it doesn’t even smell that good as I don’t enjoy the thin and bitter green/animalic undertone it possesses; a prominent phase that kicks in soon after those pretty top notes have faded away.

There are just so many more compelling fragrances available for the price including some wonderful osmanthus creations.

Un Lys by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

First I must say that I don’t consider this as a unisex fragrance. To me utterly feminine scent.

Not that complex scent obviously but well balanced smoothness. Smells very natural and images of beautiful summer days run through my mind. Well made as usual when we are talking about this perfumer.

However, to me crisp and distinctively green qualities engaged with sweet and fresh lilies doesn’t smell that compelling or even especially pleasant. I have a hard time with these white flowers in general.

Not a fan.

Patchouli Leaves by Montale

Powerful and flawlessly handcrafted blunt patchouli scent. I love it although it’s probably not the most compelling patchouli scent I have tried.

I love the way the supporting ingredients are engaged with patchouli making the structure very creamy (dark) chocolate-like.
    I see why someone can see this smelling quite medicinal too and even hippie-ish (Aaargh!).

Simple, rich and round scent that is on the butch side – definitely. It lasts forever, and I mean it….It just doesn’t seem to vanish from the skin at all if you don’t shower.

Patchouli Leaves makes me think of resinous, gummy dark chocolate plate that has a brown velvet winding sheet.

Wonderful stuff.

Sel de Vetiver by Different Company

This is wonderful.

I get a big burst of some universal detergent kind of smell in the start, and actually I like that very much. It’s a delicious start for this wonderful scent.

Se de Vetiver is extremely complex composition; There is lots of things going on; lot of nuances, layers and different kind of associations.
    It has a fascinating development and great longevity.

In the dry down I get, instead of just vetiver salt, more iris with that vetiver together that has been spiced up by salt, cardamom and freshly squeezed grapefruit juice.

It also obviously has a bit of that patchouli in the base; it gives a subtle dark and bitter “kiss” for this masterful blend.
    Although it is said this has also some ylang-ylang in the mix, I admit I can’t smell that very well, if at all.

Sel de Vetiver is made with great talent. It is unique, compelling and extremely natural smelling spicy scent that is easy to wear on any occasion. It has a strong soothing effect. It is able to transport me to some different time and place….to somewhere better away from the middle of the gnawing everyday life.

The transformation from those fresh detergent kinds of shades into this savoury and earthy scent is quite remarkable.

Fantastic scent and for sure very expensive one too. Get a sample of this and let your heart decide if it is a full-bottle worthy scent for you.

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

To me this is without a doubt the most uninteresting masculine release from this house. (And all the flankers are even worse)
    Completely useless fragrance to me.

Very ordinary, mediocre, contemporary fresh aromatic scent with crisp wood vibe to it. Absolutely boring stuff comparing to other (male) fragrances from this house.
    Some have actually said that this has some sort of similarities to Etat Libre d`Oranges Secretion Magnifiques. I don’t think so.

I do love the bottle, but obviously that doesn’t mean much if the scent is this lame.
    I just hope YSL will come back soon with something fascinating that is appropriate for this house which is, in my opinion, the most interesting one when it comes to designer houses.

Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense by Yves Saint Laurent

Almost just as good as the original. Almost.

The start of the Intense, compared to the original, is much spicier with star anise coming through more clearly with rosemary.
    Intense dries down in more dense and dark fashion; it’s not as fresh, “open” or shaving cream-like as the regular juice. For sure the patchouli note is stronger; it is overall a bit woodsier too. Not as crisp clean.
    Intense is also little bit stronger and longer lasting. Basically speaking whereas the original is a magnificent choice for day wear, Intense would make a marvellous evening wear companion for it. (That’s really just a flimsy suggestion…Personally I wear these both scents whenever I feel like no matter what time it is.)

If I was forced to choose another scent over another, then I must say my choice would be the original version, after all. But, I really do recommend this (Intense) scent for the fans of Rive Gauche Pour Homme. It is easy for me to presume that you won’t be disappointed.

Rive Gauche PH Intense seems to be harder and harder to get, and if I am not mistaken, it is already out of production after spring of 2009. So I suggest you get it now while the stocks are still around.

Just like the case is with the original release, the bottle of Intense is simply divine. This one has thick plastic shell with rechargeable glass bottle inside. The flacon is much bigger and weightier compared to the regular bottle made of aluminium.

Rive Gauche Pour Homme Intense (EdT) is a terrific fougere fragrance with vintage vibe. Easy to wear anywhere anytime, sensual and powerfully masculine fragrance that I can see to be appropriate for the men of all ages.

DKNY Red Delicious Men by Donna Karan

This is excellent scent. It does the job it was intended to do very well.

Fresh and very aromatic filled with red-hot spiciness and interesting fiery resins as an undertone which reminds me of the way salmiac smells. Very compelling, shimmering scent.

Well done by Mr.Roucel; this scent doesn’t smell nearly as artificial as so many other scents of this kind. In fact, this is very suave and fairly masculine blend.

Makes me think of red (fairytale-like) forest filled with trees full of ripe transparent fruits.

Very stable scent and it lasts for a long time.

Red delicious!

Cannabis Santal by Fresh

Its not so bad but the main problem is very obvious : As a biggest possible fan of A*Men I find this to be very unnecessary after all since it is far inferior to that Mugler masterpiece.

Actually at first I thought that Cannabis Santal smells a lot like one of the A*Men’s side product – Body spray.

The thing I like about CS is that it has ability to remind me of few other scents; not just that A*Men. It has also bit similarities to scents such as Black XS, Hanae Mori for Men, Rochas Man and Angel (for women.) So it is fairly nuanced scent in this wise.
    And still I can’t help myself from thinking that this is somewhat very cheap smelling fragrance. It has a weird deo spray vibe to it – like I said I thought it smells a lot like a body spray of A*Men. Also the fact that this is eventually some sort of copycat; it doesn’t smell original at all despite those nuances that led me to think few different fragrance.
    And then, the whole marketing concept with cannabis is just a joke: This doesn’t smell like cannabis even for starters. It’s just a cheap gimmick.

To my nose Cannabis Santal smells mostly like a mixture of lavender, patchouli and fruits, low concentrated dark chocolate, hint of strawberry and vanilla musks.
    I can recommend you may sample this if you’re a fan of gourmands, but keep in mind that there are better ones available, even if you’re not a fan of A*Men like me…

Like I said in the beginning, this is not that bad fragrance at all; it can be even quite entertaining in times, but I can’t see a single reason why would I want to get me a full-size bottle of this.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Lots of cherry-like fruitiness in the opening; it dries down for a sweet and warm blend of red berries and smoky pipe tobacco with a hint of mimosa oil thrown along.
    After couple of hours I detect the smell of dried plums and oily leather. Has a long-lasting and aromatic dry down.

Quite feminine, artificial and definitely synthetic, but it smells simply irresistible and wonderful after all.
    (Still I must say that I would prefer to smell this one on a woman)

Red, juicy and fresh oriental that is such a typical for this certain decade.

Cuir Venenum 03 by Parfumerie Generale

It is unbelievable how much this smells like beer after initial spray. This phase doesn’t last that long, but while it does, the smell is stunningly similar to some strong doppelbock-beer.
    And as a great fan of beer, I love this smell. It is also something that I have never met before in perfumes.

Soon the orange blossom starts to kick in with honey and it leaves this beer-like note to be more subdued undertone that is still very much capable to linger on the whole lifetime of this fragrance.

This is one nuanced scent. It changes very much during the time and the one wouldn’t perhaps believe it’s the same fragrance at all. The difference in smell between 5 minutes after application to 5 hours after application is perhaps one of the most striking ones I have ever witnessed.

Funny thing is that I don’t smell actually leather in this. I smell a lot of things, but not leather.

The dobbelbock beer, orange blossom, honey, animalic musk (civet?), coconut and some woods make a hell of a nuanced fragrance here.

It lasts for a long long time and it leaves a wonderfully subtle and very compelling sillage even after many hours have passed. The coconut takes more ground in the drydown, but luckily not too much since I absolutely hate coconut if it’s too prominent.
    Coconut in CV adds just a nice, creamy shade and structure to the scent and very seductively exotic trail.

This is more suitable for women but for sure not forbidden from gentlemen either.

Surprisingly unique scent that is very well made and compelling. Highly recommended and go ahead; check out those strong beer notes in the beginning!

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

Fresh, creamy scent with ever so slightly bitter undertones of vetiver. It has a kind of fougere-vegetal feel during the dry down as the scent gets crispier. Subtle hints of vanilla milk in the distance fits very nicely to the wonderful bottle of this fragrance. Really, a gorgeous presentation.

A very simple and long lasting scent that is undeniably pleasant but also very ordinary and quite boring without any compelling touch to it and, as a flanker of one of the most unique scents ever it just doesn’t reach for especially honourable presence.

White Musk for Men by Body Shop

This is very nice inexpensive scent from The Body Shop. I also like the bottle very much.

Subtle, compelling and reasonably masculine blend. Although not listed, I get some fresh spiciness out of it along with floral and soft woodsy notes. (Must be the one part of tonka beans that creates that spicy feel…)
    In White Musk for Men there are two ingredients that are most prominent and detectible: Amber and those tonka beans. This duo basically makes this scent without a shadow of a doubt.

Amber cuts off nicely the overly powdery edge from the tonka beans, and more precisely coumarin, leaving that charming hay-like smell with terrific, sensually manly presence. Just a small hint from medicinally bitter-green, earthy vetiver. Not a complex or particularly rich in structure wise but the balance is flawless. Great simple scent and steal for the price.
    Stays close to skin for fairly long time.

Perfumer of this scent is Evelyne Boulanger and she has already proved before that she is very talented.

Top: Lavender
    Middle: Geranium, Crystal Jasmine
    Base: Vetiver, Sandalwood, Amber, Musk, Tonka Bean

Mister by Jasper Conran

This one definitely has a retro vibe to it. It is fairly interesting and unique scent, actually. It is also very complex with lots of development and different kind of phases.

Starts out with very strong mixture of patchouli together with cold, fresh greens (herbs).

The basic smell (that phase that lasts longer and creates an actual theme to this scent) reminds me very much of YSL`s Jazz (Prestige) that decided to turn Chypre.
    Dry waxy geraniums together with sturdy tobacco-woody undertone.

The late hours of drydown creates a surprisingly sweet and warm ambery smell that reminds me of the base of some proper oriental fragrance. It almost has a vanillic feel to it at this moment.

I have worn this twice from a sample and although I think it’s very interesting, for some mysterious reason I didn’t feel that it would fit my personal desires after all.

Still, recommend for any men to try. And the presentation of this scent is very neat if you ask me.