Fragrance Reviews from July 2009

ShazNori's avatar

Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal

I am in love with this scent! Start to finish though my only complaint with this is that it does not last past a couple of hours :( wish I could get it stronger. Still give this a thumbs up.

GabbaGee's avatar

Mediterranean by Elizabeth Arden

This is a wonderful, light scent. Pretty saltwater florals & mouthwatering fruity notes blended with amber make for a perfect daytime or casual date kind of fragrance. I personally love this & wear it on a regular basis- it's not very strong, and it dosn't last for more than seven or eight hours, but who cares! It's cute! It's not super expensive, either- don't spend more than 20-30 bucks on this one, it's not worth more than that.

robinhoo's avatar

Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I'm a huge fan of L'Artisan, but this is one fragrance that fails completely to work with my body chemistry. I'm actually jealous of the reviewers who talk about the jammy quality of the berries here, because on me, they're completely absent. I get a slightly (unpleasantly) soapy light musk that lasts for less than an hour... and that's it. There's no dry-down, no development, no sillage at all. I'm hoping for more fruit from the Extreme version.

dollprincess's avatar

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

I used to wear this in my twenties and people who got close enough always remarked on how lovely my scent was. I forgot about for years and recently decided to try it again. I still love it. It's so soft and gentle smelling--almost like a light talcum powder.

muskydusky's avatar

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

The epitome of cheap cologne. Offensive and unforgivingly common.

Scent-e-mental's avatar

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

I bought this without trying it and thought I had made a big mistake at first. The sweet, burnt-sugary, over ripe fruit smell as well as the intense spiciness made me feel almost nauseous (I probably put too much on). After the initial blast it really settles down to a long lasting warm spicy fragrance. I like this more each time I wear it. My wife likes this one on me.

Scent-e-mental's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Kouros is the fragrance that really got me into collecting fragrances. I remember distinctly the Thursday night I went into a local store and found two bottles of a cologne I had never heard of. The 1.7 oz bottles had no price on them so I asked for a price check. "Seven dollars twenty" the girl said. "Thank you" I said. I bought them without testing them at all. When I got home I tried a bottle "whoa" I thought.

Nothing else I have is as rich and beautiful as Kouros. Just about every time I wear it I get something different from it. Only today I was comparing it with another fragrance (Rapport by Eden Classics) and the woodiness of Kouros struck me. At other times it's the clean soapiness and at other times it's the animalistic quality. It is truly a masterpiece!

05th July, 2009 (Last Edited: 16th July, 2011)

Amit's avatar

India India

Magnetism by Escada

I'm a guy -- but I like this! Apparently Montale likes it too -- so much so that he based Red Aoud off this.

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

Absolute proof that you should always try before you buy and I'm glad I did. The opening is just unbearable because it is so overpowering. It's not subtle, it's not friendly but it's a hammer against your head. It's like hypnotic poison in a very concentrated form that spilled on you.

I'm used to strong and loud fragrances( 5 sprays of aoud rose petals works nicely for me) and when I read the reviews I figured it couldn't be that bad but the opening is so powerful it actually gave me a headache.

When it settles down it becomes nicer but the opening makes it unwearable for me. Spray and dab with caution if you own this one or else you'll qualify as a environmental hazard.

vukoicicd's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Broadway Nite by Bond No. 9

without a doubt THEE WORST fragrance of all time. do give it a try though. just not on your skin, since it is impossible to get rid of.

derekp's avatar

Lavender Tea by CB I Hate Perfume

I'm still learning which notes I enjoy, and ordered a decant of this one among some other teas. What I did learn is that I don't care much for lavender, as it dominates the tea in this scent. I won't give it a thumbs down, as it my own mistake in the learning process, but I wouldn't ever wear it either. The sillage and longevity are brief on my skin.

SirSlarty's avatar

True Religion for Men by True Religion

This seems to be the placeholder for the new fragrance for men that comes in a half anf half bottle where the top half is seuded and the bottom half is sort of a rustic metal.

To me this is a culmination of every modern men's fragrance ever made since Cool Water in 1998. Cool Water plus Acqua di Gio. Somewhat an aromatic fougere in structure and also an acqatic floral. I has the same features and smells like the Acqua di Gio clones most notably like Halston Unbound (powdery version) and Perry Ellis 360 Red (spicier version). But True Religion is also Cool Water but more of the green herbal fern that makes a fougere a fougere.

So after all that... it's relatively boring. Redeeming aspect is the opening of a decent melon and the bottle. The drydown feels a little watery peppery. The "true" thing here is that Acqua di Gio and Cool Water, even if they are the first, smell and feel much better to wear.

Tony T's avatar

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

not even as an air freshner. poor construction. poor judgement and a poor mainstream fresh scent. double black is much better.

L'Aventurier's avatar

Morning Blossom by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

In a nutshell, Morning Blossom is a beautiful blend of neroli and bergamot with lavender and a hint of peppery woods, slightly reminiscent of Guerlain's Eau du Coq. There's also a touch of a urine note due to the neroli overdose in the opening, but it's not that noticeable once you get into the peppery lavender dry-down. While the fragrance itself smells fantastic, it's not the way it smells that captivates me, it's the way that it makes me feel. As Asha said below in her spot-on review, this fragrance really is mind/consciousness altering - one whiff and I'm suddenly cool, calm and collected. I don't like to wax poetic about fragrances and I actually try to avoid it, but when I first smelled Morning Blossom, my mind was instantly filled with images of bright blue skies and streams of spring water flowing by.

There is no doubt in my mind that Morning Blossom is one of the most therapeutic and beautiful smelling fragrances I've come across to date. At that, this beauty is short-lived, with minimal sillage unless you overdose on it.

06th July, 2009 (Last Edited: 18th August, 2009)

kess's avatar

Royal Muska by Martine Micallef

To sum this up for me -- "musk soap." Nice when I bury my nose into my arm, but the overall sillage is quite soapy, hence the neutral rating. I'm just beginning to explore musks, so please take my opinion with a grain of salt. On another hand (literally), I also tried Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan today and I found it much more appealing.

Ostranha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

My Givenchy Dream by Givenchy

Completely boring, mainstream and not even a nice mainstream, syntetic and uninteresting. Better to choose Britney Spears than this...

stylerico's avatar

Royal English Leather by Creed

Very well put together scent. Heavy at first, but dries down to what it is, A rich and luxurious MANLY scent. The leather hides well behind the mandarin. It has very good staying power, but not too much sillage. Overall it is a masterpiece and should be sported by confident, masculine men who prefer to smell like men. Do not look for florals here!!! For those people who say they can not smell the leather. Go to a leather factory. It smells EXACTLY like this.

06th July, 2009 (Last Edited: 27th August, 2009)

andyman32's avatar

Messe de Minuit by Etro

What can I say? I love this stuff. I am a big fan of incense fragrances. My neighbor even made fun of me for having on "hippie cologne", apparently mistaking this incense for patchouli - and I'm not as big on patchouli. I don't care, this fragrance is all for me. It's dry, bright, sprightly incense, a smell that could come out of a censer, but without the oily smoke. It seems to have a dry cedar streak in the base notes, a whiff of a hot cedar-lined sauna. It is lovely stuff... if you like the impeccably rich, brooding note of incense, treat yourself to this bottle!

Arpeggiator's avatar

Germany Germany

Cefiro by Floris

Another lemon scent by Floris. Due to some floral elements (I think it's jasmine) it's obviously warmer and not as harsh as JF, the other lemon fragrance by this house. The fruity notes (mandarine, orange) makes it sweet and feminine while the woody notes are little bit underrepresented for my taste. The impression of a synthetic scent is not as obvious as in JF but still present. The longevity is not bad for a fresh lemon scent (4-5 hours).

sammyo's avatar

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Take Angeliques Sous La Pluie and make it (a) a little bit more masculine, (b) a fair bit longer-lasting and (c) a bit woodier or spicier.

It sounded perfect. I usually like warmer fragrances but have been looking for something a bit cleaner, lighter and professional. I really wanted French Lover to be that fragrance for me. But increasingly, I think it's not. It's a great effort, but it's not the one for me.

I like French Lover, I do. I like it much more than Geranium pour Monsieur. But I just can't get happy with it. It can seem very harsh in its dryness - almost to the point of being cold.

I also feel that the elements never become a greater whole - just nice individual elements.

06th July, 2009 (Last Edited: 26th October, 2009)

Seringa by Floris

A one note wonder, and a pretty harsh one at that. If you are going to produce a fragrance with one dominant accord, it should be one that is beguiling and alluring. Sadly, Seringa produces a sharp, astringent note from the outset that lacks subtlety and nuance. It collapsed on me after a few hours, depositing a vague, whisper of sweet powder for me to mutter at for the remaining hours of its life. This was at the back of the queue when Floris were having their better ideas.

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

Once you have looked beyond the Creed-like creative marketing of their history, this is a straight up and down traditional cologne. Compared to some of the Titans in this class of fragrance like Jean Marie Farina and Acqua di Parma Colonia, this lacks the depth, longevity and the requisite class to warrant anything beyond a shrug and a a dismissive "meh!" As long as I own the aforementioned classics, I see no possible reason to purchase something so clearly inferior

Cefiro by Floris

One of the few abject failures in the Floris line. There are a lot of "fresh" ingredients in the top part of the pyramid, but what should have been a citric pleasure-fest, ends up being a prolonged note of synthetic lemon. Beyond this clumsy, and somewhat lazy opening, is a vista of indecipherable bland notes that dribble away with some haste. It can only be hoped that Floris will see the error of their ways, and leave Cefiro out on the mountain to die. A very pronounced thumbs down.

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

Another entry in the Baldessarini catalogue of mediocrity. I really don't get Del Mar, and in fairness I didn't try that hard. If I have to invest a lot of energy understanding a fragrance, it is has failed. It seems like a random collection of discordant notes vying for domination of this execrable dung heap.

Baldessarini Ambré by Baldessarini

A fault ridden production that takes an eternity to become even vaguely wearable. The opening is a deeply offensive wall of saccharine booze that is neither subtle, refined or pleasant to experience. There is no evolution whatsoever, it just weakens, and with some alacrity. This is the fragrant equivalent of Rap music, very tedious, and utterly meaningless.

MJW77's avatar

Rapport by Eden Classics

Well I never expected to find this fragrance on Basenotes! I bought this at my local chemist in the late 80's early 90's thinking it was a far more sophisticated option than the Lynx or Slazenger Sport underarm deodorants that my friends wore. I had also progressed onto this from Brut which I would splash on after swimming class at primary school! I remember I actually liked the smell of Rapport and recieved compliments when wearing it. Until recently I could vaguely recall the scent but funnily enough it wasn't until I discovered and tried Antaeus through Basenotes, that the first thing I thought of was that Rapport must have somehow been a poor imitation of Antaeus, such was the apparent similarity. I do love Anteaus but was too young to appreciate or afford such a fragrance back then, but part of me wonders if this is because I liked Rapport. I don't suppose they are similar at all and I won't be rushing out to test Rapport again, but some note within Antaeus transported me back to my days of spraying on Rapport and feeling like a man. Thankfully I now have Antaeus, among others, to do this.

Bananaman's avatar

Patchouli Leaves by Montale

I love this juice! On me, it starts out with a very surprising coldness that one one else seems to have mentioned. In fact, it's like a big scoop of Mint Chocolate Patchouli ice cream on me for the first 5 minutes. It develops quickly and warms into a loamy patchouli within 15 to 30 minutes on my skin, but it starts out as patchouli wearing a winter coat of bracing green (mint and/or lime and/or lavendar) and dark chocolate-oak boots. Granted, this feeling of coolness is very fleeting. It begins morphing almost immediately into a warmer patchouli and amber brew with a touch of vanilla. This patchouli/amber/vanilla dry down lasts for hours, continually warming until it becomes less about patchouli and more about amber (about 12 hours later). During the patchouli/amber/vanilla drydown, I somtimes layer other scents on top. (My favorite combo is PL with Gris Clair by Serge Lutens. My 2nd favorite combo is PL with Neroli by Anick Goutal.)

Sacrebleu by Nicolaï

Argh! I loved this, but it reminded me of something I couldn't quite name... I wish I hadn't read the review that says it smells like children's Motrin, cause that's it! Well, it's still gorgeous, but just too syrupy sweet for my tastes.

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

I didn't find this overwhelming at all, on the contrary. Though I do have a sample that only allows for dabbing, maybe spraying it makes a difference. In high school I took a Japanese calligraphy class where we had to grind the sumi ink by hand and it smelled just like this,a beautiful inky incense. I love it!

Jasmin Full by Montale

I found this to be a fairly realistic and simple jasmine, almost too straightforward and strong at first, but smoothing out to a rich drydown. If you want a good jasmine soliflore, this could be for you. But be patient, give it a few minutes to settle down.