Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

scentsitivity's avatar

Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake

What makes this lavender scent interesting is a potent peppermint note. While there are a fair number of fragrances that use mint, this is the first peppermint I have encountered. Here it blends very well with the lavender. The peppermint is very pleasant smelling and deflects from the sharpness of the lavender. Recommended, although there are certainly excellent lavenders at lower prices; just none that smell quite like this one.

scentsitivity's avatar

Greyland by Montale

Montale certainly picks some odd names for fragrances: there is Sliver Aoud, which most people seem to misread a Silver Aoud; there is Chocolate Greedy, which doesn't quite sound right in English and to keep this list short, there is Greyland. The mental picture Greyland gives me is of a barren, parched land; or perhaps where the space aliens from Area 51 go on vacation. The name does not sell itself to me! Okay, but how is the fragrance? The opening hits with an intense spicy mix of black pepper, a cumin like accord, and elemi. Indeed, two reviewers note elemi and I think it is the most pronounced note in Greyland. The cumin goes away, the black pepper tones down, but the elemi lasts a good long while. I don't really get sandalwood or leather accords. I think it is an okay scent, a bit intense, but nothing I would wear. And I certainly wouldn't call it Greyland! I give it a neutral rating.

HORACIO GONZÁLEZ's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Sybaris by Antonio Puig

IT REMEMBERS ME A LITTLE OF ONE MAN SHOW, IT`S A NICE AND INTERESTING FRAGRANCE, ONE OF BEST PUIG`S FRAGS

jrd4t's avatar

Astor Place by Bond No. 9

I often put a bit of a fragrance on the back of my hand to sniff during the day at work and sample. Today, I decided to grab a random Bond out of my desk drawer at home – I grabbed Astor Place and thought I’d give it some more attention since I’d only briefly smelled it in the store up til now.

When I first put it on, I got a pleasant, but not exceptional plummy fruit note. It seemed nice enough and I thought perhaps it could be something the GF would like when she wanted something light or girly. By the time I had gotten to work, it had fallen flat. I’m not sure exactly what the culprit is, but it’s turned into the smell of shampoo. I lived with a number of girls one year in college, and this is the smell of their just-washed hair while getting ready to go out for the night. I think the freesia may be to blame, but I can’t be certain. What I get now is nothing more than wet Pantene hair. Every now and then, I get a pop of citrus, likely the mandarin sticking its head out for a breath of air.

I wrote most of this earlier and then headed to a meeting. Astor Place did evolve some, but not much. There were a few minutes that I felt like it was going to turn into something better, more tart – but then it settled back into a shampooed head. The juicy mandarin is smothered with the hammering freesia and white florals.

I’m left pretty disappointed for the most part. It’s a pity – the bottle is quite a sight, and the real location seems to be very cool. Perhaps that intersection has a lot of recently washed heads of hair.

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

DKNY Men dries down to a been there, done that mens cologne.

Artisan by John Varvatos

Cool bottle, fresh, clean, and green smell. Medium longevity on my skin.

Only The Brave by Diesel

A really unique bottle, but I just can't get past the feeling that this is too powdery and feminine for me.

bokaba's avatar

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

I must applaud the effort put into this early Hermes cologne. The opening is similar to Caron pour un Homme with creamy lavender and fresh citrus, but soon after the cumin and light woods (possibly pine) creep in and darken the waters. It does smell strongly animal for a few minutes, but this dries down to a light orange and civet, which is bearable and decent.

jathanas's avatar

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Reviewers criticising L'Eau d'Hiver are missing the achievement here.

This fragrance manages to be fresh but warm, formal but relaxed. It is a soft unisex fragrance, which I would describe as powdery (iris), floral (hawthorn, jasmine), and sweet (honey).

I don't wear it often but it is interesting, unique, and classy!

ortho123's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

High Test Cool Water. The Giorgio For Men of the 90's. "Masterpiece" here equals sillage and longevity. Take a day off (and I mean 24 hrs.) and walk this deal closer (approach to human relationships) around!

Medicinal notes hint at a trip to the ER following an imaginary fistfight in a parking lot. Wood? Because, "Why not?" We're already doing the "fresh thing." And here's a widdle flower...somewhere in the middle.

Only for the most macho of metrosexuals...

Platinum Jerk.

ortho123's avatar

Versace l'Homme by Versace

Don't fall for the intial aromatics hype about the basil unless you love harsh soaps and detergent... or that this is up there with Polo or Aramis (which is not really an 80's scent anyway). A lot of the talk is livin' for the drydown: fairly stark incense with some hints of brightness. Really walk this one around: the ride is really not that happy, IMO...though it starts with fake sun and lemons...and a few cookies...perfect for a "love" that will never last (3 days left in the vacation).

A scent not better because of the 90's...and I fail to see the "gentleman" in this stuff...and it leads me to believe that "typical 80's scent" is a green light (indeed a very crappy "green" applies here) to saying many crazy things.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

White Aoud by Montale

I'm surprised there is very little mention of saffron. White Aoud is predominantly oud and saffron with creamy vanilla-amber undertones and a small amount of florals. Lighter than other offerings in the Montale stable, but still very rich and satisfying.

As a side note, Aoud Safran is basically a stripped-down version of White Aoud with a higher price tag -- so get this one instead. Also, it is better in the extra concentration.

06 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 August, 2009)

tanto's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Call it whatever you want but there is still something very nice about Grey Flannel. Yes, it is "old school" but also very fresh and manly. I wore it when it was first launched and recently bought a bottle at TJ MAX for under $20 bucks. I've worn it to work several times and received numerous compliments on it, too. It's so old that young people think its new and older people don't remember it.

tanto's avatar

Halston Z-14 by Halston

Z-14 is a fragrance classic. I have a bottle of this and where it on occasion. I like the citrusy opening and find that the cinnamon middle notes smell great on me. The leathery dry down is great and long lasting, too. This is the type of scent that I can wear all day and never get a headache from it. Funny, but being this frag is now so old, young people will ask me what it is and then ask ........is it new? I hope EA continues to keep making it because many "older" guys still wear it.

Aznavour's avatar

Be by Becker.eshaya

I swear this smells like sea grass mats. Pretty nice.

Aznavour's avatar

Blanc by Paul & Joe

Very friendly pastel fragrance. I agree with Myspunge that it's "cuddly," but don't mistake it for smothering. It's very faint and becomes increasingly soapy over time. It's alright.

Redbeard's avatar

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

DN is brash and bold, featuring citrus and a sour, smoky wood (mandarin oranges and cigarettes?) that make me picture the morning after a big party where a bunch of investment bankers all scored. There's an underlying sharp soapiness to it that I only recently detected...a little clean detergent underneath the dirty smoke. And something in the delightfully acrid base reminds me of buttered movie theater popcorn, which upon further reflection gives me somewhat mixed feelings. It's unequivocably masculine, and even though I'm sure every 18-year-old boy wore it back in the 80s, I don't think many do anymore. I certainly agree that a conservative spray hand is required to tame this beast, but with no more than a spray and a half I can appreciate its testosterone all day without just smelling like a prick to everyone. If this stuff is too jarring for you, Duc de Vervins is more mellow and green, living in the space between Drakkar Noir and Bowling Green. (Hmm, might a replacement be in order?)

Redbeard's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Aw, crap...it's another Terre d'Hermes review:

It is true that Terre smells like orange peels and a little sand. It is also true that it is transparent: seemingly weak when you sniff the spot you sprayed, but strongly present from time to time out of the corner of your nose, so to speak, as you move around during the day. Unfortunately, it's a bit perfumey, which I know is a vague word that will cause some consternation around here, but I use it to mean over-produced or over-polished with too many ingredients, or at least the illusion thereof. I feel like Terre was hyped to be somehow profound and different, perhaps a vision of citrus and desert sand as portrayed by someone who doesn't live with those smells on a daily basis, but has only fond memories from a one-week trip long ago. I tried to figure out just what makes Terre so deep, and eventually realized that it isn't particularly deep at all; it's just a very Zen cloud of orange peels, and orange peels smell nice.

djolney's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

A marvellous masculine fragrance.

The opening is a combination of gritty lemon, sparkling bergamot, clove, civet, and the beginnings of the rose and honey. It is absolutely marvellous!

As Kouros settles down to its heart the rose becomes more obvious, the greenness of the jasmine arrives, and a smooth, light incense starts to weave its way through the fragrance. I can smell something slightly soapy at this point, and I wonder if there isn’t some vetiver in here. The clove and incense spice and warm the honey and rose at the heart of Kouros, and this combination is addictive.

As Kouros reaches its dry down vanilla tempers the honey (stopping it from becoming too animalic) and oak moss lends the incense a woody, earthy base. The incense and vanilla together smell like a creamy sandalwood that could be too sweet if not for the remains of the civet.

There is more civet in Kouros than in Givenchy Gentleman, but it is more effectively integrated into the whole of the fragrance. If the civet bothers you when you sniff your wrist directly, then don’t sniff your wrist directly: smell the side of your wrist you haven’t sprayed and you will get the effect of Kouros in its entirety. The civet is critical to the whole, and is in perfect balance if appreciated from a distance.

If you like Caron Yatagan, then Kouros might provide you with an alternative on the days when you want something a bit sweeter and more animalic.

If you like Chanel Antaeus, then you might like to try Kouros as an even more sophisticated and masculine fragrance.

If the star anise and synthetic note in Azzaro pour Homme are beginning to bother you, then Kouros might provide you with an equally masculine alternative.

Dr Mu's avatar

Aoud Leather by Montale

The leather here brings to my mind rather old battered leather furniture, but what dominates is the smokiness, which is very specifically peat smoke. This is the most Irish fragrance I've encountered; that peat smoke is very evocative. The whole composition calls to mind something like a room in a country house out in the west of Ireland: old furniture and the whiff of peat from the grate.

Rating this scent with only three options is difficult. On the one hand, I have a lot of respect for it. On the other hand, is it something you want to actually smell of? This is certainly not a scent for everyday wear, and I wouldn't be tempted to get a whole bottle. Consider this one thumb up, rounded down.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Blue Stratos by Parfums Bleu

A blue collar fougere that remains efficient despite its limitations. The brash alcoholic beginning is swiftly superceded by a bright aromatic episode, that is moderately long lasting. This linear fragrance is primitive stuff, but it does have a naive charm that justifies its popularity.Not a thumbs up, but very close.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Tangerine Vert by Miller Harris

A brisk, tart and moderately pleasing summer stroll that lacks an engaging dry down in the vain of Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte.No smooth and opulent phase here, just a continuation of the opening. If you truly enjoy a fragrance of this nature, you would be better served by plumping for the Hermes equivalent. It's cheaper, more involving, and less linear.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Strong, sharp, masculine, full of pride and dignity, conservative, clean. All in all great scent that doesn't go unnoticed. Great work!

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Dry Mediterranean soil and orange, great scent. Yes it is kind of linear, but it is also masculine and kind of conservative in a cosmopolitan way. This scent is truly unique.

Elias Saif's avatar

Bangladesh Bangladesh

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

I love this perfume. I bought it & also gifted it to my cousin. He loved it too. This perfume is mostly noticed by women. Most of the time they ask "what are you wearing?" If you are looking for something to attract women and get compliments then I say go for it...

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

1881 by Cerruti

Oddly pleasing top combo with the juxtaposition of lavender's airy sweetness against the pine-green of juniper. As 1881 descends into the heart, it gets drier and I get a vaguely musky floral accord which lasts for 1-2 hours before it fades to a drydown of moss and sandalwood. Definitely one of the more distinctive, rather classy scents from Cerrutti though I can't help but feel a little let down after the refreshingly crisp opening.

06 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 November, 2009)

Chelsea's avatar

Vanille Coco by E.Coudray

An unashamedly delicious and girly Creme Brulee of a perfume. Not for the faint hearted, for the vanilla is indeed a deep, creamy and luscious base upon which dance but a few scintillating notes. The coconut is deepend by the vanilla, thus losing what can often be an overpowering sweetness. There is a delightful powdery iris which holds this juice together, and whilst, yes, the first blast is reminiscent of the "come hither" trail of the finest patisserie/chocolaterie, it never becomes overpowering. It is soft, comforting, smooth as the finest creamy hot chocolate. I also own Jacinthe et Rose. Where the excess spray of these two have fallen on my pillows, the combined scent dances, Salome stylee, seductive, alluring, and of course, utterly irresistible.

ransomnote's avatar

Spark for Women by Liz Claiborne

I found Spark by reading reviews of Organza Indecence on other websites. I loved Indecence but was crushed when I discovered that it 'turned' on me after approx. 2 hours of wearing. Like another poster that I read elsewhere, an odd Play Doh accord surfaces on my skin. I read that Spark is similar but does not have that note that some people encounter. Spark does work much better on me. I believe it is sweeter but it may be because I am using the parfum. I recently noticed that, comparing Indecence to Spark, the Liz Claiborne fragrance seems to have a breeze blowing through an openness inside of the fragrance in the same location as the Indecence has that problem note that comes out on my skin after the drydown. It is sweet, at least in the parfum version, so I have to be careful in application not to overdo it. I just discovered by accident that a little citrus scented body butter (Delohn+ Mango) near the fragrance on my skin also tones down the sweetness nicely.

ransomnote's avatar

Alyssa Ashley Musk by Alyssa Ashley

I wore this in the late 70s. was shocked to learn that it is still available. I bought mine on ebay but later discovered, and rather enjoyed, her website www:alyssaAshley.com. I say that I enjoyed the website because I liked the music that plays when you visit the site. It is a flute and it issues a soft call to my old memories. I was disappointed when a man's voice intruded to announce the fragrances - just flute please!
    I have this in the EDT and the perfume oil. The EDT is, to my nose, too harsh and lacks the character I remember. The perfume oil - perfect. It is a clean, slightly floral musk. It is like nothing else I have ever smelled since 1978, I have been told that Jovan Musk is much preferred to this - I prefer the Alyssa Ashley - it's almost as if it is sincere and serene whereas the Jovan seems, by comparison, more modern, bolder, and more direct.

jelly_for_jesus's avatar

Joop! Jump by Joop!

What a great smell. It's strong and lasts for ages (as you would expect from Joop!) but it isn't invasive. Its a very bright smell but it does ever so slightly remind me of the warmth of the original Joop! Homme.

A cracking summer fragrance and the kind of thing I would enjoy wearing in the evening too.